post #31 of 42 Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Unless you're into that stuff. I find watching the veneer of society fall apart to be a "fun" genre. Case and point The Road. I read the book and loved it though it's no fairy tale. I remember almost tasting the ash. Flash forward to the movie version. I found it enjoyable but underwhelming compared to more action oriented post apocalypse movies like Book of Eli. Flash forward again after the birth of my daughter. The movie The Road takes on another life and actually defines the word "harrowing."

I couldnt agree with you more on the Road.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone have ANY idea WTF they were doing to the kids?
post #33 of 42 Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I came so, so close to buying this BD.
I guess my karma is running pretty good right now...

What rubbish this movie is.
Completely, and totally unrealistic from the get-go.

Does anyone REALLY believe the opening 1/2 hour is credible in any possible way?
That REAL people would respond to their predicament like this?
Not asking each other WHAT or WHY or HOW?
Hello?
911 was not that long ago and we DO remember how people reacted.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Trying to go out into a radioactive world beyond the door...instead of choosing to, you know, LIVE?
Bitching about the food....because, you know, going out to get some will kill everyone, but the food will be better?
Smoking in a sealed room...because, you know, trying to stay alive for the future is so passé?
And trying to kill someone with an axe is the preferred method of reasoning with them?
I usually dig this kind of stuff, but a half an hour of eye-rolling and groaning was all I would allow myself with this POS from Xavier Gens.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #34 of 42 Old 05-19-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Can't say I disagree with any of that.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #35 of 42 Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Can't say I disagree with any of that.

It was a big let-down for me.
I had high hopes for this movie....what a bummer.

post #36 of 42 Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Well, I guess it's at least as believable as LORD OF TZHE FLIES. If you don't think many people would devolve into their basest aspects, given the irrevocable situation (consider how it ended...so bleak), then you haven't seen much of human nature. In a no-hope scenario, normally decent people are capable of horrendous things...particularly if there will be no perceived consequences...or that it just doesn't matter anymore.

post #37 of 42 Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Well, I guess it's at least as believable as LORD OF TZHE FLIES. If you don't think many people would devolve into their basest aspects, given the irrevocable situation (consider how it ended...so bleak), then you haven't seen much of human nature. In a no-hope scenario, normally decent people are capable of horrendous things...particularly if there will be no perceived consequences...or that it just doesn't matter anymore.

That's true....except no one had given up hope.
It was way way too early for people to "devolve" at the particular point in the bunker.
And it didn't ring plausible in the slightest.
Unfortunately, the stock characters didn't help the proceedings either.

For some reason (dramatic tension?), Gens decided to bring a "no-hope scenario" immediately to the forefront of the film.
That's the problem here.

Something good could have been put together.....sadly, that isn't the case.

post #38 of 42 Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You're forcing it to be believable. It was pretty evident early on that it wasn't going to be believable. I had low expectations and just the let movie go where it wanted to.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #39 of 42 Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
One might also assume that the radiation affected some mentally, and not just physically. I know it's a stretch, though I don't know the effects of radiation on the psyche. Or maybe it was just the unventilated effects of all the damn beans! As for how much time had elepsed, we never are really told...we can only see the physical deterioration to guess.

post #40 of 42 Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watched this last night. Man, I had kindof avoided reviews and stuff, and had my hopes high for it.

Haven't been that disappointed in quite awhile. Cliche characters doing cliche things and acting extremely stupid didn't help. The acting was flat out horrible for the first half hour or so, and while I don't consider myself a prude, I also get annoyed when films could have 10-15 minutes chopped simply by eliminating the F-bomb. It's a bit of overkill.

Thankfully the acting got better later on, and dare I say that Milo Ventimiglia and Michael Eklund actually turned in a decent performance as the crazy guys.

If they'd have gone for even a somewhat realistic approach to the scenario, I would have enjoyed it much more. Instead, the characters start acting like morons and self-centered a-holes within 30 seconds and it never lets up.

I wonder where they were going with the military guys in the suits and the kids in the pods. Seems to be a pretty big plot point they just let drop.

and not to harp on a nitpick I didn't enjoy, but....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

First flaw and not a spoiler is the opening scene and we all know that looking without eye protection at a nuclear explosion will blind you. A LOT of dramatic license taken there and unfortunately not explained at all in the commentary.

Looking at the initial blast may blind you (probably, but not a certainty), but in the movie, the initial blast isn't shown anyways (it starts with the mushroom cloud already forming). For all the movie shows she could have been facing the other direction or been in the next room during the blast, then wandered over to the window. Just pointing it out, since it's not a flaw at all.
post #41 of 42 Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

If they'd have gone for even a somewhat realistic approach to the scenario, I would have enjoyed it much more. Instead, the characters start acting like morons and self-centered a-holes within 30 seconds and it never lets up.

This is why I ejected it after a half hour.....I could see it coming from a mile away.

post #42 of 42 Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It was a big let-down for me.
I had high hopes for this movie....what a bummer.

I had zero hopes but it was a big let down no less. Artistically and production values were on cue and there were good performances esp from Biehn so all the ingredients were there to be a good film but it just spiraled out of control more and more as the movie progressed. About half way through you just don't care about any of characters anymore because they were just too far gone and silly.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page