Hesher - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This film got mentioned a lot last year when it premiered at Sundance, but it is finally getting a theatrical release. Stars Joseph Gordon Levitt, Natalie Portman, and Rainn Wilson in a dark indie dramedy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Good stuff. Caught it over the weekend. It walks a fine line between comedy and gut punching.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
I also really enjoyed this film.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Tried watching this last night. The wife left at the 25-minute mark and I quit after 35.

This had me squirming. Not so much that it was violent or anything like that, I just found it so incomprehensible that I wanted to strangle everyone in it. I couldn't accept that Joseph Gordon Levitt would be allowed to move in and pretty much takeover. I don't care how out of it dad was, that dude would have been thrown out on his rear if anyone attempted what he did at my place. JGL was such a crude, offensive, deadbeat, that it turned me off. If he were a supporting character and not the lead I may have hung in there, as it was, I couldn't put up with him.

The dorky looking kid with a hot Mustang? No.

What possessed Natalie Portman to act in this is beyond me.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I enjoyed it, though it is a pretty out there flick. It's obviously not intended to be taken completely seriously, I mean Superman can't really fly and all that. It actually paid off in the end, if you stuck with it. As always, I have to give credit to folks who are willing to get off the standard three act, perfect character arc highway, and this one definitely does that. I imagine that Natalie Portman also likes to get off that highway once in a while as well.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #6 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Tried watching this last night. The wife left at the 25-minute mark and I quit after 35.

This had me squirming. Not so much that it was violent or anything like that, I just found it so incomprehensible that I wanted to strangle everyone in it. I couldn't accept that Joseph Gordon Levitt would be allowed to move in and pretty much takeover. I don't care how out of it dad was, that dude would have been thrown out on his rear if anyone attempted what he did at my place. JGL was such a crude, offensive, deadbeat, that it turned me off. If he were a supporting character and not the lead I may have hung in there, as it was, I couldn't put up with him.

The dorky looking kid with a hot Mustang? No.

What possessed Natalie Portman to act in this is beyond me.
Yeah, I quit early on this one too.
I just didn't care....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Caught the last 30 mins of this when flipping through channels a couple of weeks ago. It struck me as a very tough storyline to swallow after simply reading the synopsis in my guide; however, it did pique my interest about the events that occurred prior to when I starting watching. I'll likely give this one a shot at some point in the future.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Did any of you guys experience some playing issues with this flick? It appears like it going to play and then nothing, black screen..I went as far as seeing some trailer on my Oppo 95 blu ray player, but the black screen came on. I ten tried to see if it will play on my Sony 400 disc changer and nothing...I saw the middle finger loading page then black????WTF...

DJoel
post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
^ This same sort of thing has happened to me a few times over the years with my older Sony blu player. Oddly enough, the solution (for me) was to stick a blank flash drive in the USB port on the back of the player; no idea why it worked and after it happened the second time I just left the usb stick in there all the time and I've never encountered the issue again. It was just a an old 2GB drive so I don't think space is an issue.. maybe worth a shot? (one other disc I remember this happening to was the Starship Troopers blu)
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Thanks I'll try that I should have a usb stick somewhere, at first I didn't think it was that the disc was damage but a closer look it looks like ti took a glide through concrete, light fine scratches..This renting thing is getting on my last nerve. I do have Netflix but that's so limited and the picture is just awful and dark...

Thanks again

Djoel
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page