Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 134 Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's a bit better than a "B" movie, call it an "A-".

The CGI apes were not quite perfect, but they were miles better than anything you saw in LOTR, and almost the equal of Avatar, which is a film that cost 2.5X as much to make. Certainly, the apes are nothing to complain about, compared to a schlocky CGI'd Golden Gate Bridge, some unconvincing Coastal Redwoods, and a really underdone helicopter crash. (I grant you, the bridge and the redwoods probably look good to people who don't live in the SF Bay Area, and thus have nothing for comparison.)

There is also no need to call it a "reboot", as it is logically consistent with the first six films, and puts the 10-year-old Tim Burton offering to shame as an "ape origin" movie.

In fact, there is a real plot, some likeable characters, some human - and ape - villians (nice touch, there), along with some real drama and a healthy amount of decent action scenes.

Better than a popcorn movie, instead a decent SF action film.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 134 Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
We've come a long way from the man in an ape suit where the eyes were always the first thing that gave it away. As others have mentioned the CGI is not always convincing but it is remarkable when it focuses on the apes themselves, however whenever they are layered onto a scene with a nearly white background the processing becomes more apparent. I thought the movie was a worthy prequel to the Apes franchise and certainly left the door wide open to future sequels. And what about the choice of director - Rupert Wyatt - when the credits rolled I thought - who? Directed one another movie The Escapist that earned $13,000 in 2009 and now has a $133,000,000 movie (U.S.). I bet he's excited.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #93 of 134 Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

There is also no need to call it a "reboot", as it is logically consistent with the first six films,

There are inconsistencies with the original timeline though.
post #94 of 134 Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FOX is campaigning for Serkis to get an Oscar nomination for his mocap performance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...s-mo-cap-oscar

What do you guys think?
post #95 of 134 Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

FOX is campaigning for Serkis to get an Oscar nomination for his mocap performance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...s-mo-cap-oscar

What do you guys think?

I haven't seen the film yet.
However, it sounds like nothing more than a way for Fox to drum up some publicity.
Isn't Serkis's face not actually on screen?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #96 of 134 Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No kidding, where was Gollum's Oscar then or Kong's.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #97 of 134 Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just watched the Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night, and I must say it was the best movie I've seen this year, bar none. It started off good and kept me glued to the picture to the end. The story was great, the acting was great; I don't know what more you could ask for in a movie. I wonder why there has not been a review on AVS Forum?
post #98 of 134 Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
As noted in my earlier post, I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the theater and rather enjoyed it. I picked up the BD from BB yesterday and watched the film again last night. This time I liked it more than I did the first time but still didn't fall in love with it. I still give it a marginal recommendation, 7 Stars out of 10.
post #99 of 134 Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As noted in my earlier post, I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the theater and rather enjoyed it. I picked up the BD from BB yesterday and watched the film again last night. This time I liked it more than I did the first time but still didn't fall in love with it. I still give it a marginal recommendation, 7 Stars out of 10.

I might have been a bit more generous on the number rating...maybe a solid 8.

For me, though, the main reason I dug this so much was because I basically expected it to be horrid. I have nothing against Franco as an actor...and I've been crushing on Frieda Pinto since Slumdog. But after the Burton POTA misfire, my expectations were at "ignore this" level.

Then the reviews started rolling in....

Went & saw it late in it's theatrical run & was rather impressed. Best movie of 2011 I have seen? Maybe in the top 3.

I have felt a disturbance in the Force that tells me the BD will be in my stocking on the 25th

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #100 of 134 Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Liked: 11
I am in the same boat.Saw it last summer and thought it was the best movie I saw this year.Was going to buy it yesterday but the wife said one of the kids was getting it for me.Waiting for xmas.
post #101 of 134 Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

NOW you tell me (after buying the BD today).....

post #102 of 134 Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

NOW you tell me (after buying the BD today).....

oink -- I think you didn't waste the money you spent on the Rise of the Planet of the Apes BD. Although, I finally didn't raise my original assessment of 7 Stars out of 10, I almost raised it to 8 Stars out of 10 after I saw the BD. It's a well made film. In short, it seems to me that although you did not hit a homerun with this one, you didn't strikeout, either.
post #103 of 134 Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

oink -- I think you didn't waste the money you spent on the Rise of the Planet of the Apes BD.

1. I read the plot closely and don't find anything too objectable.
2. A lot of folks have been raving about it.

Bottom line: I'm just a sucker for sci-fi.

post #104 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I loved it, waiting to get it on BR.... Looks like there is talks about doing a sequel!

http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/1261...ils-on-sequel/

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
post #105 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I just noticed that there weren't any negative feedback on Apes in this thread so I kinda feel bad being Debbie downer here but I couldn't get pass some of the things already mentioned like the CGI and james franco.

Well, just got done with it and that was not the way I wanted to cap off the last summer blockbuster after the dismal Cowboys & aliens, Super 8, and the unfunny and horrible 30 min or less. I don't know, maybe Im just expecting too much from these big over hyped films that are not delivering any substantial entertainment.

With Apes, I think my biggest gripe is not so much the CGI but how it looks like it was super imposed on the screen which made it have a disconnect on the screen. Secondly, the apes behavior looked at times too human like or strangely fake and it just looks very unnatural therefore I could never get immersed or emotionally invested into the film. Lastly, this kid james franco just straight up sucks. He's got no character or charisma and should not be headlining any big movie. IMO he's more suited for TV or daytime soaps. And my god I don't what to say about John Lithgow or that cartoonish over the top neighbor it was ridiculous. Overall, it was a wanna be summer blockbuster that simply was lacking and missing basic blockbuster 101 stuff like a main star. Franco and that lab boss was not it nor were the weird apes. For those who got enjoyment out of it that's great.
post #106 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Apes was good but gee a sequel... come on hollywood. This and Star Trek were good films but don't need a sequel imho lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #107 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I just noticed that there weren't any negative feedback on Apes in this thread so I kinda feel bad being Debbie downer here but I couldn't get pass some of the things already mentioned like the CGI and james franco.

Well, just got done with it and that was not the way I wanted to cap off the last summer blockbuster after the dismal Cowboys & aliens, Super 8, and the unfunny and horrible 30 min or less. I don't know, maybe Im just expecting too much from these big over hyped films that are not delivering any substantial entertainment.

With Apes, I think my biggest gripe is not so much the CGI but how it looks like it was super imposed on the screen which made it have a disconnect on the screen. Secondly, the apes behavior looked at times too human like or strangely fake and it just looks very unnatural therefore I could never get immersed or emotionally invested into the film. Lastly, this kid james franco just straight up sucks. He's got no character or charisma and should not be headlining any big movie. IMO he's more suited for TV or daytime soaps. And my god I don't what to say about John Lithgow or that cartoonish over the top neighbor it was ridiculous. Overall, it was a wanna be summer blockbuster that simply was lacking and missing basic blockbuster 101 stuff like a main star. Franco and that lab boss was not it nor were the weird apes. For those who got enjoyment out of it that's great.

Wow, I loved all four of these movies...
post #108 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

You're not alone, as I didn't think it was as good as everyone else here makes it out to be. I can only chalk it up to expectations. Because it didn't suck out loud like the Burton movie, and because of the disappointing year this has been for popcorn movies, it gets a lot more love than it deserves.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #109 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

You're not alone, as I didn't think it was as good as everyone else here makes it out to be. I can only chalk it up to expectations. Because it didn't suck out loud like the Burton movie, and because of the disappointing year this has been for popcorn movies, it gets a lot more love than it deserves.

I try to come into movies without reading reviews . Helps me enjoy it better . Doing this allowed me to enjoy avatar (the earth kid one) lol. Still wouldn't own it though

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #110 of 134 Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Wow, I loved all four of these movies...

Like I sd it's great for those who enjoyed it. There's nothing like the feeling of being swept away and being fully immersed after you've watched a good movie. It's almost like a high for me. And then there's the opposite of falling asleep, rolling your eyes, and feeling being cheated out of your 2 hrs from the disappointment that I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Those who are not picky and are able to enjoy more films are indeed to me are the lucky ones. What's that saying...ignorance is bliss. I still try to keep an open mind and remain hopeful and enjoy every movie I cue up but it's tough when they make utter over hyped crap like 30 min or less.
post #111 of 134 Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Call me ignorant then, I loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes and am glad I can enjoy movies and life instead of looking for things or ways not to... I rented this and liked it so well am getting for Christmas.
post #112 of 134 Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Call me ignorant then

Okay- you're ignorant
Quote:

I loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes and am glad I can enjoy movies and life instead of looking for things or ways not to...

Whoa- you're reading a little more into this than whats been expressed. Nobody wanted to like this movie more than me. It's not that I think it's a bad movie, but to me it was a let down. The orginal film was so good because it worked on so many different levels. The new one just seems bland and conventional by comparison. And I concur with zoey that the leading man was bland and that Lithgows character was bordering on cartoonish. And another thing that had me shaking my head was here was a movie that finally had the courage to cast a black man not as the best friend or "magic wise black guy" type, but as the actuall heavy. And what did they do to take the edge off and cop out- he spoke in an English accent. C'mon.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #113 of 134 Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't give me the deep stuff I watched the original when it came out... hey James Franco isn't Charlton Heston, but he died and there will be no one that can replace him... you have to accept that and move on.
post #114 of 134 Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought this was an excellent move. The human actors were not the best, but the plot and special effects were terrific. Very smart movie script-wise.

The last one with the guy from Boogie Nights was awful.
post #115 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think they were all pretty bad except the original, which is why this was a surprise for me, since I expected very little.
Oh yeah the GG bridge looked just fine, and I cross it about a 100 times per year.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #116 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I thought this was an excellent move. The human actors were not the best, but the plot and special effects were terrific. Very smart movie script-wise.

Agreed.
Hard to believe it turned out so well.
BTW, the BD is excellent.

post #117 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lastly, this kid james franco just straight up sucks. He's got no character or charisma and should not be headlining any big movie. IMO he's more suited for TV or daytime soaps

LOL...but...but..he hosted the oscars?!?!?!
post #118 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Saw the flick, thumbs down. It did nothing for me at all. Also, Franco has never done anything impressive that I've seen, so his streak of blandness continues. He's completely 2D as far as acting goes.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #119 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 341
This was a solid 7 out of 10 for my family. Enjoyed it but still had the other summer movies rated a little higher. Thor, Captain America, Xmen, Super 8...I thought it was well done, and for once, the script, made up for the actors but my wife REALLY disliked the "damn dirty apes..." usage. Of all the ways they could have used this...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #120 of 134 Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

but my wife REALLY disliked the "damn dirty apes..." usage. Of all the ways they could have used this...

"Get your stinking hands off me, you damn dirty human!" - was one cool thing from Tim Burton's 2001 film
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page