post #61 of 84 Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Super is only showing on one of Showtime's SD channels now. It's not available on either of the Showtime HD channels Cox OKC carries. I have setup a wishlist entry for it on my TiVo, which should record it if and when it ever gets shown in HD again. I don't know why so few Showtime channels are available here. Cox OKC provides 4 Cinemax HD feeds and 6 more for HBO.
NOW you know why God created DirecTV....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

I don't really think of Super as a superhero movie. It's more of a character study. A darkly comic character study, but a character study just the same. Like Taxi Driver in a cape. As for Kick-Ass, it's the kind of balls out superhero movie.
+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Last fall, when this thread was active, I said I would watch Super again and report as soon as it showed up on an HD channel carried by Cox OKC. It finally did show up but not until yesterday. I have now watched again and this is my report.

I can't say that I liked Super any better this time than the first because I hated every aspect of the film the first time for all the reasons I reported in many posts here. I didn't hate it as much this time, though, because I knew going in that it wasn't funny very often and that its attempts at drama were mostly creepy nihilism. The high point of the film, faint praise but there it is, was the Crimson Bolt and Boltie's sex scene. I thought it was weirdly erotic and kind of sweet but then Frank came back to himself and it was downhill from there. After my first viewing of Super I gave it an IMDb vote of 5 Stars out of 10 and still think that's about right.
post #63 of 84 Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last fall, when this thread was active, I said I would watch Super again and report as soon as it showed up on an HD channel carried by Cox OKC. It finally did show up but not until yesterday. I have now watched again and this is my report.

I can't say that I liked Super any better this time than the first because I hated every aspect of the film the first time for all the reasons I reported in many posts here. I didn't hate it as much this time, though, because I knew going in that it wasn't funny very often and that its attempts at drama were mostly creepy nihilism. The high point of the film, faint praise but there it is, was the Crimson Bolt and Boltie's sex scene. I thought it was weirdly erotic and kind of sweet but then Frank came back to himself and it was downhill from there. After my first viewing of Super I gave it an IMDb vote of 5 Stars out of 10 and still think that's about right.
Sorry it didn't work for you....again.
Oh well, we can't win 'em all.wink.gif

post #64 of 84 Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Sorry it didn't work for you....again.
Oh well, we can't win 'em all.wink.gif

If nothing else, seeing Super again proved to be an interesting intellectual exercise. As I said in a post earlier in the thread, the film's biggest asset is that it's only 96 minutes long.smile.gif As little as I liked about the film, it reminded me of how adorable Ellen Page is.
post #65 of 84 Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

it reminded me of how adorable Ellen Page is.
She certainly is.smile.gif

post #66 of 84 Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just watched this on BR tonite, and it's just as dark, over the top and hysterical as the first time. BTW, everyone I've tuned on to this movie loves it.tongue.gif

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #67 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just watched this on BR tonite, and it's just as dark, over the top and hysterical as the first time. BTW, everyone I've tuned on to this movie loves it.tongue.gif

I recognize that most viewers didn't hate Super as much as I did. For example, IMDb voters gave it an average vote of 6.8 Stars out of 10 and according to Rotten Tomatoes 48 percent of critics recommended it. Still,according to IMDb the film didn't make any money and the consensus about it seems to be that it was mediocre at best.
post #68 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I recognize that most viewers didn't hate Super as much as I did. For example, IMIDb voters gave it an average vote of 6.8 Stars out of 10 and according to Rotten Tomatoes 48 percent of critics recommended it. Still,according to IMDb the film didn't make any money and the consensus about it seems to be that it was mediocre at best.

Mediocre is in the eye of the beholder, and the fact that it didn't make any money doesn't detract me from enjoying it. And who cares if the RT and imdb scores are low? I don't let them dictate what I like. I know this movie has a lot of things that make some people uncomfortable, and that's part of the appeal to me. As the Crimson Bolt would say- "you don't butt in line, you don't molest little children, you don't sell drugs and you don't use online movie websites to determine what makes a good movie!"

post #69 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As the Crimson Bolt would say- "you don't butt in line, you don't molest little children, you don't sell drugs and you don't use online movie websites to determine what makes a good movie!"
OK, that's funny.biggrin.gif

post #70 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mediocre is in the eye of the beholder, and the fact that it didn't make any money doesn't detract me from enjoying it. And who cares if the RT and imdb scores are low? I don't let them dictate what I like. I know this movie has a lot of things that make some people uncomfortable, and that's part of the appeal to me. As the Crimson Bolt would say- "you don't butt in line, you don't molest little children, you don't sell drugs and you don't use online movie websites to determine what makes a good movie!"

I fear I may have offended you but that was not my intention. If I did so, I apologize. It was obvious to me that you thought Super was better than mediocre. I understood that and should have said so. Obviously, some viewers, like you, loved it. Nevertheless, as I said in my last post, the consensus is that Super was a mediocre film, it's a fact that it didn't make back the money its investors' spent, and most critics didn't like it much. I guess our difference of opinion, plus the facts, prove the truth of the adage that if you stick one hand in a pot of boiling water and the other in a bucket of ice, you should be comfortable.smile.gif
post #71 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I fear I may have offended you but that was not my intention. If I did so, I apologize. It was obvious to me that you thought Super was better than mediocre. I understood that and should have said so. Obviously, some viewers, like you, loved it. Nevertheless, as I said in my last post, the consensus is that Super was a mediocre film, it's a fact that it didn't make back the money its investors' spent, and most critics didn't like it much. I guess our difference of opinion, plus the facts, prove the truth of the adage that if you stick one hand in a pot of boiling water and the other in a bucket of ice, you should be comfortable.smile.gif

Nah, it takes a whole lot more than that to offend me. What I think though is that Super offended you, and a whole lot of others. But I think that in it's own twisted way, it's a "feel good movie". I'm not the most religious person you're ever going to meet, but the moral I came away with is "the Lord works in mysterious ways". And that he has a funny way of meeting out "justice". A subversive film to be sure.

post #72 of 84 Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This forum is big enough for differing views...and it's all good.smile.gif

Quote:

But I think that in it's own twisted way, it's a "feel good movie".
Completely agree.

Quote:
A subversive film to be sure.
And twisted....wink.gif

post #73 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nah, it takes a whole lot more than that to offend me. What I think though is that Super offended you, and a whole lot of others. But I think that in it's own twisted way, it's a "feel good movie". I'm not the most religious person you're ever going to meet, but the moral I came away with is "the Lord works in mysterious ways". And that he has a funny way of meeting out "justice". A subversive film to be sure.

Super didn't offend me at all, although I was appalled by its mindless violence, which I found entirely unfunny. When I watched it again recently, I moderated my views somewhat because I knew what was coming. Even so, the sight of a rude cutter in line being viciously assaulted with a pipe wrench seemed more than a bit excessive and entirely unfunny. I confess, though, I did enjoy it when the sleazy dope dealer shot the arrogant black gangster between the eyes and also laughed when Crimson Bolt shot his projectile knife into the dope dealer's crotch. Just deserts and all that.smile.gif In sum, the film never made me laugh, often made me cringe, and left me wondering why anybody had bothered to make it. That said, I loved Kick-Ass so much I bought the BD, although my daughter disliked it as cordially as I disliked Super. There is no accounting for taste, so it's never a good idea to get too stirred up over a dissenting opinion.
post #74 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In sum, the film never made me laugh, often made me cringe, and left me wondering why anybody had bothered to make it.

They bothered to make it 'cause people like me need some entertainment too.wink.gif

post #75 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They bothered to make it 'cause people like me need some entertainment too.wink.gif

I understand entirely. It appears that I am the one who is out of step with the consensus of the posters here, regardless of what the critics and broader viewing public may have thought. I understand that a lot of viewers really liked Super, I just wasn't one of them. This reminds me that an Oklahoman movie critic wrote a tribute to Roger Ebert this morning. In it, he pointed out that even the Pulitzer Prize winning Ebert didn't get it right all the time. Ebert panned both Raising Arizona and Reservoir Dogs but loved the execrable Cop and 1/2. This just goes to show that film criticism is far from an exact science. So if I was as wrong about Super as Ebert was about Reservoir Dogs I will be in good company.smile.gif
post #76 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

Nevertheless, as I said in my last post, the consensus is that Super was a mediocre film, it's a fact that it didn't make back the money its investors' spent, and most critics didn't like it much.

The movie actually did make back its money, just not at the theatrical box office, which is all sites like IMDb track. The movie was only ever released to 39 theaters at its widest. However, it did quite well through secondary sources such as VOD, and did in fact make a profit off its modest $2.5 million budget.

As for the consensus that it's a mediocre film, Marvel has hired James Gunn to direct its Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which is expected to have a budget north of $200 million. Obviously, they saw something they liked in his work.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #77 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I sort of liked Kick-Ass, but when all is said and done it celebrated violence and threw a child into the midst of it. It was sort of sick. Super is more than sort of sick, but it seemed to me a more honest film in that it put the audience face to face with the consequences of the superhero violence that Kick-Ass celebrated.

...and as to whether or not that qualifies as entertainment, you have to decide that for yourself. Spring Breakers is out there, and I'm intrigued, as it's full of youngsters in bikinis that appeal to the dirty old man in me. But it's by the man who brought us Kids, one of the most unpleasant films I have ever seen, so it's probably somewhere between a Kick-Ass and a Super.

CW Hinkle
post #78 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Super didn't offend me at all, although I was appalled by its mindless violence, which I found entirely unfunny. When I watched it again recently, I moderated my views somewhat because I knew what was coming. Even so, the sight of a rude cutter in line being viciously assaulted with a pipe wrench seemed more than a bit excessive and entirely unfunny. I confess, though, I did enjoy it when the sleazy dope dealer shot the arrogant black gangster between the eyes and also laughed when Crimson Bolt shot his projectile knife into the dope dealer's crotch. Just deserts and all that.smile.gif In sum, the film never made me laugh, often made me cringe, and left me wondering why anybody had bothered to make it. That said, I loved Kick-Ass so much I bought the BD, although my daughter disliked it as cordially as I disliked Super. There is no accounting for taste, so it's never a good idea to get too stirred up over a dissenting opinion.
I consider films like Kick Ass and Super to be strongly focused on the satirical and should be taken as such.

Can anyone truly disagree modern America is awash in violence and silly Super Hero fantasies?wink.gif

Quote:

I understand entirely. It appears that I am the one who is out of step with the consensus of the posters here, regardless of what the critics and broader viewing public may have thought. I understand that a lot of viewers really liked Super, I just wasn't one of them. This reminds me that an Oklahoman movie critic wrote a tribute to Roger Ebert this morning. In it, he pointed out that even the Pulitzer Prize winning Ebert didn't get it right all the time. Ebert panned both Raising Arizona and Reservoir Dogs but loved the execrable Cop and 1/2. This just goes to show that film criticism is far from an exact science. So if I was as wrong about Super as Ebert was about Reservoir Dogs I will be in good company.smile.gif
Everything has a right to an opinion....but it doesn't mean everyone is right.tongue.gif

post #79 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

As for the consensus that it's a mediocre film, Marvel has hired James Gunn to direct its Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which is expected to have a budget north of $200 million. Obviously, they saw something they liked in his work.

I saw some stuff James Gunn did in Super that I liked too but his screenplay and star were not among them. The film was often visually arresting but there was so much other stuff in it that I found off-putting, I ended up not liking any of it.

Gunn's screenplay for Dawn of the Dead proved that he has writing talent and I really liked Slither, which he wrote and directed. Both had exponentially bigger budgets than Super. Gunn's overall track record shows why other producers might be willing to give Gunn a chance to write and direct a film with a much bigger budget than Super had.
post #80 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I like the trailer, but it looks to be too violent for my wife. I may have to wait until she goes out of town next month to rent this, just like I did last year around this time when HDNet Movies aired God Bless America. Which I need to see again. biggrin.gif
post #81 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I consider films like Kick Ass and Super to be strongly focused on the satirical and should be taken as such.

Can anyone truly disagree modern America is awash in violence and silly Super Hero fantasies?wink.gif

I like Superhero fantasies generally, the louder and dumber the better.smile.gif The reason I liked Kick-Ass was that in a weird twisted sort of way, I identified with and rooted for all of its weird and twisted costumed freaks. In stark contrast, not only could I not bring myself to root for either Crimson Bolt or Boltie, I cringed at the godawful havoc they caused.

Quote:
Everything has a right to an opinion....but it doesn't mean everyone is right.tongue.gif

Oh, yeah, As I think I made clear in my last post, I agree with that. In fact, in movie criticism there is no right but there is no wrong either. As is the case with posteriors, everybody has an opinion.
post #82 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In fact, in movie criticism there is no right but there is no wrong either. .
I can't believe anyone on this forum would ever say such a thing!tongue.gif

post #83 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I like the trailer, but it looks to be too violent for my wife. I may have to wait until she goes out of town next month to rent this, just like I did last year around this time when HDNet Movies aired God Bless America. Which I need to see again. biggrin.gif

Super has some very disturbing violence in it. If your wife has a problem with that sort of thing, she definitely won't want to watch this one with you.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #84 of 84 Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I sort of liked Kick-Ass, but when all is said and done it celebrated violence and threw a child into the midst of it. It was sort of sick. Super is more than sort of sick, but it seemed to me a more honest film in that it put the audience face to face with the consequences of the superhero violence that Kick-Ass celebrated.

[/B].

Agree with that! What some might also be forgetting is that the 2 primary characters were clearly shown to be disturbed...probably clinically so. And severe depression (and self-loathing) were given an outlet. Whereas a movie like KICK-ASS may seem like it's also in the vein of quasi-reality "what-if-ordinary-folks-dressed-costumes", the protaganists are more innocent and naive. And by the end, it becomes the exact type of film it is purportedly satirizing! One more bit of praise for SUPER: that opening credit sequence is one of the best I've seen.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page