Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123

In theaters and on demand. $7.99 on D*.

Latest entry in the "everyday superhero" sub-genre (Watchmen, Kick-Ass, Defendor). Gunn puts a Troma twist on the familiar story and it ends up being pretty good. If you like twisted humor & over the top gore this should entertain you. Thumbs up for Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page plus cameos from the Slither folks, including one you might not catch until the credits.

Super is delightful midnight fun and would make a wicked double feature next to Hobo with a Shotgun.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Nobody else has seen this one? I went on instruction from a friend whose taste generally agrees with mine. One is tempted to say that "you've never seen anything like this"; actually you have- it's like a lower budget Kick-Ass melded together with Taxi Driver. It's certainly demented in so very many ways, a bitter, black comedy/satire that gets very black indeed before it is over.

I liked it but sort of felt dirty after finishing with it. The way it treats vigilanteeism reminded me of Tarentino and any number of other revenge films. But it's quite imaginitive in many departments, and most of the acting is very fine; Liv Tyler has never been better, and it's full of great character actors and sharply drawn characterizations. It will probably be a cult item, but it may take a while to find its audience.

Oh, and the print I saw was pretty ugly- high-speed, grainy, brownish, possibly derived from 16mm. Of course Blu-ray will give you better resolution, but it will just improve your view of ugly.

...Oh, and one other thing. I started poking aroung on imdb and Rotten Tomatoes to see the depth (such as it is) of critical opinion of Super. Should you go to Rotten Tomatoes, DO NOT read Ebert's blurb. Big, big spoiler.

CW Hinkle
post #3 of 84 Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Last time I looked this wasn't playing anywhere in the Phoenix Metro area. But looking again today, I see it's playing in one theater in far north-east Scottsdale. Hmmm, and it's unrated, I guess that's probably why it's in so few theaters. Usually Harkin's still runs these unrated indie films but even they don't seem to be interested in Super.

Anyway, for me, it would be 40 miles one-way through the ocean of photo-radar cameras in Scottsdale so there's no chance in hell I'm seeing this film in that theater. Looks like it'll be a lot cheaper and less aggravating to just wait for it on DVD.
post #4 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I watched Super, a supposedly black comedy, last night. Although what I had read about the film wasn't very encouraging, I thought that the presence of Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page would make it at least watchable. I could not have been more wrong.

Early in the film I watched scene after scene with Rainn Wilson trying, but failing, to be funny. It was painful. It got better for a while after the always appealing Ellen Page showed up. She was often cute, sexy, and funny and had a scene or two that worked. Alas, in the end even the formidably talented Page could not save the nihilistic mess that Super ended up being. The film gives new meaning to meanspiritedness. If you get the idea that I hated, hated, hated Super, you would be right. 5 Stars out of 10 and that's generous.

About all I took away from Super was that Rainn Wilson lacks the charisma to be a leading man in anything and that Ellen Page really needs to make better career choices.
post #5 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
The movie's not for everyone, I suppose. I enjoyed it. Similar premise to Kick-Ass, but skews darker. A lot darker in some scenes.

Rainn Wilson isn't "trying to be funny" in the sense that he's acting goofy and telling jokes. I appreciated that he's trying to do something different than his usual screen persona. And Ellen Page is really terrific as "Boltie."

Yes, you could say that the movie is mean-spirited. It is, as noted, a dark comedy.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The movie's not for everyone, I suppose. I enjoyed it. Similar premise to Kick-Ass, but skews darker. A lot darker in some scenes.

Rainn Wilson isn't "trying to be funny" in the sense that he's acting goofy and telling jokes. I appreciated that he's trying to do something different than his usual screen persona. And Ellen Page is really terrific as "Boltie."

Yes, you could say that the movie is mean-spirited. It is, as noted, a dark comedy.

I made the same connection you did to Kick-Ass, as did several of the critics. Kick-Ass, while certainly a black comedy, had real style and was frequently very, very funny. I thought Super had almost no style, although the wonderful Ellen Page occasionally managed to give it a breath of life. Rainn Wilson, though, just wasn't very funny in his supposedly funny scenes or at all sympathetic in his more serious scenes. I love well done black comedies but thought Super was badly done in almost every conceivable way. The primary reason I gave Super 5 Stars out of 10 was that its runtime was only 96 minutes.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I posted here instead of in the Blu-ray Software Forum in order to find out what my many fellow movie nerds who post here were thinking about this promising but ultimately disappointing film.
post #7 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched Super, a supposedly black comedy, last night. Although what I had read about the film wasn't very encouraging, I thought that the presence of Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page would make it at least watchable. I could not have been more wrong.

Early in the film I watched scene after scene with Rainn Wilson trying, but failing, to be funny. It was painful. It got better for a while after the always appealing Ellen Page showed up. She was often cute, sexy, and funny and had a scene or two that worked. Alas, in the end even the formidably talented Page could not save the nihilistic mess that Super ended up being. The film gives new meaning to meanspiritedness. If you get the idea that I hated, hated, hated Super, you would be right. 5 Stars out of 10 and that's generous.

About all I took away from Super was that Rainn Wilson lacks the charisma to be a leading man in anything and that Ellen Page really needs to make better career choices.

That's too bad. One of the things I liked about KA was it's pitch perfect tone. All of the crazy gore and violence seemed to make sense and did not feel exploitative or "icky"

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #8 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

That's too bad. One of the things I liked about KA was it's pitch perfect tone. All of the crazy gore and violence seemed to make sense and did not feel exploitative or "icky"

I loved Kick-Ass, too. Indeed I gave it an IMDb vote of 10 Stars out of 10. Because of how much I had loved Kick-Ass, as well as its having the talented Ellen Page in its cast, I was expecting a much better film in Super than the one I saw.

Your use of the word "icky" to describe film violence that doesn't work is perfectly apt to describe the violence in Super, I think. Instead of being funny or moving the story in a dramatic way, I thought nearly all of the violence in Super was ugly and decidedly unfunny. I will say, however, that Ellen Page as Boltie almost made her violent outbursts work, at least in her early scenes.
post #9 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing that bothered me about Kick-Ass was the very thing Super tackled head-on: the flaw in rooting for vigilantee justice in that things can get really ugly. It didn't demonstrate that particularly in Kick-Ass and tarted it up with a swearing-like-a-longshoreman, beautiful little girl who saves the day.

It did demonstrate it (and then some) in Super, tarting it up with a swearing-like-a-longshoreman, beautiful little woman who plays teenagers.

CW Hinkle
post #10 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The thing that bothered me about Kick-Ass was the very thing Super tackled head-on: the flaw in rooting for vigilantee justice in that things can get really ugly. It didn't demonstrate that particularly in Kick-Ass and tarted it up with a swearing-like-a-longshoreman, beautiful little girl who saves the day.

I hear you. In fact, my daughter hated Kick-Ass for much the same reason I hated Super. I forgave Kick-Ass's excess of gratuitous violence because it was all done within the context of a funny and engaging tale. In Super, though, I felt as if the Crimson Bolt was bludgeoning me with his pipe wrench. I resented that because I neither sell dope nor "butt."
post #11 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

I hear you. In fact, my daughter hated Kick-Ass for much the same reason I hated Super. I forgave Kick-Ass's excess of gratuitous violence because it was all done within the context of a funny and engaging tale. In Super, though, I felt as if the Crimson Bolt was bludgeoning me with his pipe wrench. I resented that because I neither sell dope nor "butt."

Gee, thanx for that (after I pull off the shrink-wrap from my Amazon order)...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #12 of 84 Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Gee, thanx for that (after I pull off the shrink-wrap from my Amazon order)...

With luck, maybe you won't hate Super as much as I did.
post #13 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

With luck, maybe you won't hate Super as much as I did.

I saw the trailer for it is it a kick ass rip off?

Frank

post #14 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Virtually everybody who has seen Kick-Ass will think of it when they watch Super. But whereas Kick-Ass was stylish and inventive, Super is heavy handed and repulsively nihilistic. Its one saving grace is the terrific Ellen Page who did everything in her power to save the mess that Super was. Unfortunately, even Page's presence wasn't enough. Super is a film I will never, ever, watch again. Ugh!
post #15 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Virtually everybody who has seen Kick-Ass will think of it when they watch Super. But whereas Kick-Ass was stylish and inventive, Super is heavy handed and repulsively nihilistic. Its one saving grace is the terrific Ellen Page who did everything in her power to save the mess that Super was. Unfortunately, even Page's presence wasn't enough. Super is a film I will never, ever, watch again. Ugh!

Thanks gwsat the trailer didn't impress me much and now going by your comment I will stay away.

Frank

post #16 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Liked: 12
How is this compared to Defendor? Or Special?
post #17 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

The two movies were made around the same time as one another. Super was playing the film festival circuit while Kick-Ass was in theaters. It just didn't find a distributor until this year.

Josh Z

post #18 of 84 Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
This is K-A's twisted twin sibling. And K-A was pretty twisted itself. But in the best possible way. This thing- I can't quite make heads or tails out of it. The good parts of it are entertaining, especially Ellen Page's Bolty, who we come to realize is even more disturbed than Wilson's character. But the jarring transitions from the K-A style of giddy pleasure we derive from seeing douchebags get theirs to the sudden realistic depictions of the aftermath of violence is a bit overdone. Maybe the director was trying to show how we would really feel after a violent outburst and then suddenly came to our senses and realized what we had done. And it ain't pretty. If he was trying to subvert the whole superhero/vigilante "thing", he certainly succeeded, but the end result is less entertaining as a result. It's no Kick-Ass, but it's worth a look to see how the same general idea is handled by someone with a slightly more sinister view of the concept.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #19 of 84 Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Kick Ass was an insanely funny film. I loved it.

This one... it left me cold, flat. And it doesn't help that I look upon Ellen Page as fondly as I do hemorrhoids.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #20 of 84 Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I love Kick-Ass. Kick-Ass is overall a better movie than Super. However, the thing about Kick-Ass is that it starts with this premise that it's about people in the "real world" trying to act like comic book superheroes, but by the end, the movie (deliberately) turns into a total cartoon complete with machine-gun jetpacks and absurdly impossible kung-fu stunts. The character is allowed to become exactly the superhero he dreamed of.

Super sticks with the original premise throughout. The main "hero" character is quite clearly mentally ill. A person would literally have to be crazy to do something as stupid and dangerous as he does. The movie follows that premise through to its logical conclusion. His actions have real, unfortunate consequences.

It's a different, but no less valid approach.

And Kick-Ass doesn't have anything nearly as sublime as Nathan Fillion's appearance as "The Holy Avenger."

Josh Z

post #21 of 84 Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

This is K-A's twisted twin sibling. And K-A was pretty twisted itself. But in the best possible way. This thing- I can't quite make heads or tails out of it. The good parts of it are entertaining, especially Ellen Page's Bolty, who we come to realize is even more disturbed than Wilson's character. But the jarring transitions from the K-A style of giddy pleasure we derive from seeing douchebags get theirs to the sudden realistic depictions of the aftermath of violence is a bit overdone. Maybe the director was trying to show how we would really feel after a violent outburst and then suddenly came to our senses and realized what we had done. And it ain't pretty. If he was trying to subvert the whole superhero/vigilante "thing", he certainly succeeded, but the end result is less entertaining as a result. It's no Kick-Ass, but it's worth a look to see how the same general idea is handled by someone with a slightly more sinister view of the concept.

I agree with you entirely. Super's director lacked a sense of direction and proportion. Thus, he made a movie that when it tried to be funny ususlly wasn't funny enough and, when it was serious, was jarring, off-putting, and decidedly unentertaining. In stark contrast, the violence in Kick-Ass was used for comedic effect or poignancy and always worked. That's why Kick-Ass worked as a film whereas Super most decidedly did not, at least it seems so to me.
post #22 of 84 Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Super works in a similar fashion to Louis C. K.'s sitcom Louis. They both have the courage to show us things we'd usually prefer not to acknowledge.

CW Hinkle
post #23 of 84 Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Super works in a similar fashion to Louis C. K.'s sitcom Louis. They both have the courage to show us things we'd usually prefer not to acknowledge.

The question remains, though, was Super entertaining? To me at least it wasn't.
post #24 of 84 Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The question remains, though, was Super entertaining? To me at least it wasn't.

That's the problem with this movie- when it went for entertaining, it was, but the "message" parts jolted you right back out of it. So entertaining isn't the word I'd use to describe it, more like "interesting". And with the dearth of good movies lately, interesting is good enough for me.

post #25 of 84 Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched tonite.

Although it starts out slow, this is a terrific movie.
Stick with it!
The 2nd half really takes off.

Ellen Page is wonderfully psychotic here.
Rainn Wilson delivers his best performance.
And Kevin Bacon is a kick too.

An obvious comparison with Kick-Ass....
In reality, the story is not much different.
The difference lies in the tone.
Gunn stresses a harder edge to the proceedings.

IMO, James Gunn is becoming one of our most talented young filmmakers.

Which movie is "best"?
Tough question....
The answer is each goes in a different direction, in spite of having the same origins.
Both of these movies are winners...and Watchmen is the loser.

post #26 of 84 Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched tonite.

Although it starts out slow, this is a terrific movie.
Stick with it!
The 2nd half really takes off.

Ellen Page is wonderfully psychotic here.
Rainn Wilson delivers his best performance.
And Kevin Bacon is a kick too.

An obvious comparison with Kick-Ass....
In reality, the story is not much different.
The difference lies in the tone.
Gunn stresses a harder edge to the proceedings.

IMO, James Gunn is becoming one of our most talented young filmmakers.

Which movie is "best"?
Tough question....
The answer is each goes in a different direction, in spite of having the same origins.
Both of these movies are winners...and Watchmen is the loser.

While I think Super has merits, it consciously kicks you in the balls the second after it tickles you. Kick-Ass left me wanting to see a sequel now, while Super left me thinking "that was interesting, but I've had enough of that". The one thing they unquestionably have in common is they both have female sidekicks who steal the show.

post #27 of 84 Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

The one thing they unquestionably have in common is they both have female sidekicks who steal the show.

You're right, EP was great....and, for the first time, smokin' hot.
Makes me feel like a dirty old man....

post #28 of 84 Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
I enjoyed KA more than Super, but you can only compare them superficially, after the first part of Kick Ass it is pretty much a standard superhero movie.
Actually it is a standard super hero origins movie.
post #29 of 84 Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well, count me as one who loves both. But SUPER really seems to show Gunn's roots much more than SLITHER did. It is basicly a better acted, better shot and edited, better written, better directed, higher-budgeted, and more toned-down Troma film! (Heck, this time, Gunn even allowed Lloyd Kaufman a line!)

post #30 of 84 Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post
How is this compared to Defendor? Or Special?
I guess no one has seen these?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page