post #31 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Anyone who liked TS should see Shotgun Stories (his earlier film) even though it's just DVD. Nichols should have a strong career if people can find him.

It's amazing there's no thread for TS in the BD section - great film and excellent BD, but no interest. Too bad.

Thanks for the tip .. I now have it in my NF Q .. and Michael Shannon is in this one as well ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

You know what bugs me about Redbox? This movie's out of Blu-ray, but they only have the DVD in the kiosk. Same with J. Edgar.

I just took a trip to the video store and they only have the DVD version. I'll wait till it gets cheap and buy it on blu ray.

Frank

post #33 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I wonder what's up with that? You'd think BD versions of new movies would be more prevalent in 2012. I mean, it isn't a case of it's only on DVD. The BD of this does exist.

The DVD is well mastered, though, so if you have a good scaling player it should look good unless your screen is gigantic.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #34 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I wonder what's up with that? You'd think BD versions of new movies would be more prevalent in 2012. I mean, it isn't a case of it's only on DVD. The BD of this does exist.

The DVD is well mastered, though, so if you have a good scaling player it should look good unless your screen is gigantic.

I agree. I asked them why they didn't have it on blu ray they didn't believe this film was popular enough to bother with the blu ray version.

Frank

post #35 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Ill wait im sure ill be able to pick this up cheap in the next couple of months. Im in no rush.

Frank

post #36 of 50 Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wish I had your patience. Of course if I were buying for keeps, I'd get the Blu (if available; some of my faves aren't, like Burning Bright is DVD only.)

This one was good, but not a keeper.

post #37 of 50 Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Wish I had your patience. Of course if I were buying for keeps, I'd get the Blu (if available; some of my faves aren't, like Burning Bright is DVD only.)

This one was good, but not a keeper.

Im patient for a film like this, no rush.

Frank

post #38 of 50 Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree. I asked them why they didn't have it on blu ray they didn't believe this film was popular enough to bother with the blu ray version.

Didn't Warner just extend the rental hold period? That means that video stores or services like Redbox have to go out and buy copies of the movie at regular retail. So, yeah, if they perceive that a title won't be terribly popular, they're not going to spend extra to get copies of the Blu-ray edition.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #39 of 50 Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh yeah, both those are Warner, aren't they? I guess I'll have to learn to have the patience of Franin.

post #40 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just watched this last night. It was awesome. Michael Shannon was simply amazing in it, and I'd like to see him get more recognition for his role.

Movie was slow, yet deliberate in its character and tension building. My only complaint, and it's not much of a complaint, is:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

I thought the movie went on about 5 minutes too long, and feel it could have ended right when he opens the door to let them out of the shelter. The whole movie is about his personal demons and possible descent into mental illness/madness.

By going on for another 5 minutes to the beach scene, I thought that just needed to add a justification or reason for his nightmares....turning it into a premonition movie rather than the slow descent into madness the rest of the movie led up to. Guess they felt needed the "payoff" of a somewhat supernatural premonition and he's not crazy after all.

I just felt it would have been better to have the open ending of him opening the storm shelter since that's where he maybe doesn't overcome the mental illness, but gets pulled back from the brink of it....roll credits. Not that people wouldn't complain because if there's one thing the public hates, is open-ended movies where the ending isn't laid out for you.
post #41 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Just watched this last night. It was awesome. Michael Shannon was simply amazing in it, and I'd like to see him get more recognition for his role.

Movie was slow, yet deliberate in its character and tension building. My only complaint, and it's not much of a complaint, is:
Spoiler  

I thought the movie went on about 5 minutes too long, and feel it could have ended right when he opens the door to let them out of the shelter. The whole movie is about his personal demons and possible descent into mental illness/madness.

By going on for another 5 minutes to the beach scene, I thought that just needed to add a justification or reason for his nightmares....turning it into a premonition movie rather than the slow descent into madness the rest of the movie led up to. Guess they felt needed the "payoff" of a somewhat supernatural premonition and he's not crazy after all.

I just felt it would have been better to have the open ending of him opening the storm shelter since that's where he maybe doesn't overcome the mental illness, but gets pulled back from the brink of it....roll credits. Not that people wouldn't complain because if there's one thing the public hates, is open-ended movies where the ending isn't laid out for you.

Spoiler  
There's some good theories that what the scene represents is the family finally accepting his plight, and facing the "storm" together. Also, that perhaps it's another one of his "dreams".

I think the ending is still fairly ambiguous, due mostly to the brilliant story-telling and directing.
post #42 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Spoiler  
There's some good theories that what the scene represents is the family finally accepting his plight, and facing the "storm" together. Also, that perhaps it's another one of his "dreams".

I think the ending is still fairly ambiguous, due mostly to the brilliant story-telling and directing.

Yep.
Spoiler  
Two endings. You make the call. Is he crazy or did everybody get on board?
post #43 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Watched this on BD last night. And what a stellar looking BD it was! There were times I was distracted by the PQ it was that good.

Slow for sure, but well worth it. The slow spiral into the unknown worked well. The brain is so powerful; there is such a delicate balance between insanity and normalcy.

Both leads were excellent. Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

There's the magic. It's possible
Spoiler  
there are two endings one with him being crazy and one with him not

Spoiler  
I also think both could be true. 1. You have the family history of mental illness and his paranoid obsession with the shelter through his dreams, not to mention his other bizarre happenings that had noting to do with the shelter or impending doom due to the storm. 2. When they are at the beach, his wife looks at the raindrops on her hand and they are amber in color like the ones on his hand that started the ball rolling to begin with. The unfortunate thing for him; the storm happened in South Carolina, not in Ohio, so the townspeople would still consider him crazy and all of his efforts were for naught.
post #44 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM
CIH USER

Im still trying to find this cheap on blu ray. Hopefully soon.

Frank

post #45 of 50 Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Wow, what a shame this has seemingly slipped through the cracks. This is a masterful, intense slow-burn of a drama led by two excellent performances from Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain. Shannon in particular is in stellar form, especially in the second half as events begin to unfold.

This is a must-see film.

Looking for it everywhere where I live could not find it so had to order from amazon. Looking forward to watch this film when I receive it.

Frank

post #46 of 50 Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Damn, dude, it took ten months.

That's what I call patience. tongue.gif

post #47 of 50 Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Damn, dude, it took ten months.

That's what I call patience. tongue.gif

Now just waiting for it to be delivered. Ill get to watch it, one day.

Frank

post #48 of 50 Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM
CIH USER

Finally received my copy today will be watching tonight smile.gif

Frank

post #49 of 50 Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Spoiler

I also think both could be true. 1. You have the family history of mental illness and his paranoid obsession with the shelter through his dreams, not to mention his other bizarre happenings that had noting to do with the shelter or impending doom due to the s 2. When they are at the beach, his wife looks at the raindrops on her hand and they are amber in color like the ones on his hand that started the ball rolling to begin with.

I thought the ending he was in a dream. His wife having motor oil coloured raindrops on her hands I believed was the clue that he was dreaming.[ /SPOILER]

Frank

post #50 of 50 Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
I thought the ending he was in a dream. His wife having motor oil coloured raindrops on her hands I believed was the clue that he was dreaming.[ /SPOILER]

You have to see it twice to pick up all the details. The ending isn't complicated or ambiguous at all. I haven't seen it in some time (I own it) but ...
He's schizophrenic, it's that simple. What you've been viewing is his descent. At the end, he's full blown. He's all about his love for his wife, and her love for him. The power of that is what got him out of the bunker. At the end, he's fully surrendered to his delusions, but the silver lining (for the viewer to not be sad about it) is that he's incorporated his family into the delusion. So he's happy. And crazy.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page