The reason why I rarely go to Movie Theaters - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
OK, I'm starting a Legal Defense Fund for this guy....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

While you are at it, try and secure the movie rights, I think we have a hit on our hands.

- He was a theater visitor, that was pushed to far... Arnold Schwarzenegger is the theaterinator...

- Stay quuieet ou I tun yo into popcon butter.
post #93 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

While you are at it, try and secure the movie rights, I think we have a hit on our hands.

- He was a theater visitor, that was pushed to far... Arnold Schwarzenegger is the theaterinator...

- Stay quuieet ou I tun yo into popcon butter.

Although it makes me feel a little guilty, I can't help but have some sympathy for this guy. What kind of an upbringing must a 10 year old have had who ignores warnings from an adult and continues to be as disruptive as this kid was? I suspect he didn't learn a damn thing from it but the perpetrator is in a heap of trouble. Movie theater assaults are bad enough under any circumstances but when the beat down is administered to a 10 year old. . . well. Too bad but there it is.

Anyway, the report caused me to give somewhat higher marks to the deportment of OKC movie audiences, although based on recent events I don't recommend spending too much time wandering around in Bricktown after a Thunder game.
post #94 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 301
My brother went to see The Avengers and got there early to pick his seat, get situated with his popcorn and what not. Well the theater fills up and getting close to the trailers to start playing and an usher tells the people in his row they need to move to a different row because they are trying to fit a group of people into that row. Of course everone says no and the usher says she has the RIGHT to tell them to move as it is printed on the back of the ticket so they need to MOVE. My brother told her she could ask him to leave but he was not moving. She went to a more cooperative row to get the LATE arriving folks a seat.

So sheesh, either you have to put up with unruly patrons, a theaterinater or an usherinater.
(hehe, ush-erinater...)

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #95 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, the movie ushers made entire rows move to seat people in the Regal Cinema I saw Avengers in as well.

I thought this was sort of crazy though; I actually showed up about a half hour before the film started. The place was packed, but I found a nice seat middle right. A little girl about two or three seats to the left of me looked visibly frustrated as she was laying her arm over the seat to the right of her. About 15 minutes later a large group of people walked into the cinema and into my row. The head of the group told me that the little girl was supposed to be saving their seats... 7 seats in fact, and would I please move.

I thought he was joking at first, but when he just stood there, I kind of gave them a perplexed stair, and mumbled "uh... okay, sure". I moved down to the very last seat in the row, and he was like "uh... yeah, that seat is taken as well".

I sighed, moved up a row, and took an aisle seat with two seats empty to my left. It was a good choice, the whole row was told to move down to me by the theater ushers in order to squeeze in a few more folks.
post #96 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Anyway, the report caused me to give somewhat higher marks to the deportment of OKC movie audiences, although based on recent events I don't recommend spending too much time wandering around in Bricktown after a Thunder game.

BTW, congrats to The Thunder (and, yes, you are welcome The Portland Trailblazers gave you guys Durant).

post #97 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

My brother went to see The Avengers and got there early to pick his seat, get situated with his popcorn and what not. Well the theater fills up and getting close to the trailers to start playing and an usher tells the people in his row they need to move to a different row because they are trying to fit a group of people into that row. Of course everone says no and the usher says she has the RIGHT to tell them to move as it is printed on the back of the ticket so they need to MOVE. My brother told her she could ask him to leave but he was not moving. She went to a more cooperative row to get the LATE arriving folks a seat.

So sheesh, either you have to put up with unruly patrons, a theaterinater or an usherinater.
(hehe, ush-erinater...)

I had NO idea this kind of stuff was done.
Are you talking about "reserved" seating?
I thought theater seating was "general admission," not "reserved."

I only go to matinées; if an usher told me to move, I would tell him to F*CK OFF.

post #98 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only go to matinées; if an usher told me to me to move, I would tell him to F*CK OFF.

Eloquently said.

Yep general admission. Thought it was bs and looked at my ticket when we saw the avengers a couple of weeks later (different place) and sure enough says they can move you. With young kids we normally go for the earlier, less busy, showings and have not ran across this before. I would be a bit indignant, as we always make an effort to arrive early to get the seats we want. If you are in a bigger group, and show up late, you get what you get...

post #99 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

(hehe, ush-erinater...)

Yep, those people can kiss my a**. They can can go find seats wherever they happen to be. Guessing they whined to the usher saying they could not find any seats together. Tough, come early then if you all wanted to sit together. Either that or they were freinds of the usher perhaps. The only time I'll move is if for example they ask people to fill in seats between each other for example. But I'll be damned if I totally relocate.
post #100 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Yeah, the movie ushers made entire rows move to seat people in the Regal Cinema I saw Avengers in as well.

I thought this was sort of crazy though; I actually showed up about a half hour before the film started. The place was packed, but I found a nice seat middle right. A little girl about two or three seats to the left of me looked visibly frustrated as she was laying her arm over the seat to the right of her. About 15 minutes later a large group of people walked into the cinema and into my row. The head of the group told me that the little girl was supposed to be saving their seats... 7 seats in fact, and would I please move.

I thought he was joking at first, but when he just stood there, I kind of gave them a perplexed stair, and mumbled "uh... okay, sure". I moved down to the very last seat in the row, and he was like "uh... yeah, that seat is taken as well".

I sighed, moved up a row, and took an aisle seat with two seats empty to my left. It was a good choice, the whole row was told to move down to me by the theater ushers in order to squeeze in a few more folks.

Next time they better think to get someone to "hold" seats for them that can actually speak up on their behalf. I'd be pissed to say the least and stated my case to an usher that I was not moving since nothing was said to you otherwise. While I would be miffed at someone holding that many seats as long as they said so right away I'd live with it and find something close by.
post #101 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I only go to matinées; if an usher told me to me to move, I would tell him to F*CK OFF.

Exactly, it would have to be some legit reason like they needed the aisle seat for say a medical reason. Or say perhaps because it was a family that had a child too young that could not sit by themselves. Say it was a couple or something and there happened to be 2 seats left in the theater. The one next to me and something clear across the theater say. I would have been pointing and saying well one of you can sit here and there's the other one OVER there
post #102 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 10
I think it also makes a big difference when someone asks vs tells. If someone is like, "Hey can you move down a couple seats so we can squeeze in?" I'll likely do it out of courtesy. But if someone tries to tell me I have to move? I think not sir. "I paid the same price as you did for a ticket and I got here early enough to CHOOSE my seat, now you get to choose from what's left."
post #103 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

BTW, congrats to The Thunder (and, yes, you are welcome The Portland Trailblazers gave you guys Durant).

Yep, strange things happen with lottery picks, don't they? By the way, who was that Greg Oden guy. On the down side, I fear that my Thunder are getting ready to lose a playoff series to the team that will be the NBA champion for the third year in a row. No matter, though, the Thunder will still be as beloved around here as the Sooners. That's a nearly unbelievable phenomenon, trust me on this.

All this talk of movie theater ushers making patrons move after they have chosen their seats takes my breath away. In mumble mumble years of moviegoing, I have never seen such a thing in OKC.
post #104 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post

Next time they better think to get someone to "hold" seats for them that can actually speak up on their behalf. I'd be pissed to say the least and stated my case to an usher that I was not moving since nothing was said to you otherwise. While I would be miffed at someone holding that many seats as long as they said so right away I'd live with it and find something close by.

Yeah, I wasn't outraged or anything, but it ticked me off. The thing is, by that time the theater was filling up fast. I could have made a scene, but all it would have gotten me was an angry mob, an upset little girl, and anxious ushers. Taking the time to get an usher's attention would have meant that I'd lose an aisle seat which would have meant that I'd lose the ability to stretch my legs in a cramped theater, so in the end, it was probably the best move.

As far as seeing ushers move people, I've seen this at least twice before, but only for sold out shows where every seat has been sold, and I'm pretty sure they weren't friends with anyone they were ushering. There appeared to be an usher and a manager of some sort having people move down to make room for groups, and in the end they were forced to split late parties apart, so you had a kid sitting in one corner of the theater, and dad sitting in another.

The other thing I thought was sort of jacked up was that, you know how some theaters have a handicapped or wheelchair accessible row smack dab in the center of the theater? Well soon after I got my seat in the then half empty theater, I saw two perfectly healthy looking teens grab those seats, and though I never saw a handicapped person enter the theater, it kind of irked me that the ushers did nothing about it. Course, by the time they were ushering people they probably would have filled the seats anyways.

Oh well. I'm glad I have my own little home theater and don't have to deal with that nuttiness most of the time, but I'll be venturing out into that chaos when Prometheus hits. I'll have to plan accordingly.
post #105 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

All this talk of movie theater ushers making patrons move after they have chosen their seats takes my breath away. In mumble mumble years of moviegoing, I have never seen such a thing in OKC.

Ushers? Sounds quaint.

A June 8 release might get me into a theater for the first time in years. I have to make myself ready for the inevitable patron problem. My old bro for such films will likely not make the trip this time around. It was too much in the waning days when I could handle the distraction and he could not. My female potentials think it's one of the more undesirable places to gather. We all have the same thoughts when it comes to what a public theater is today
post #106 of 176 Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yep, strange things happen with lottery picks, don't they? By the way, who was that Greg Oden guy. On the down side, I fear that my Thunder are getting ready to lose a playoff series to the team that will be the NBA champion for the third year in a row. No matter, though, the Thunder will still be as beloved around here as the Sooners. That's a nearly unbelievable phenomenon, trust me on this.

The Trailblazers have had a decades-long fetish for guys 7 foot tall...they just can't resist.
They passed up some dude named Michael Jordan for a Greg Oden kinda guy....

Quote:

Yep general admission. Thought it was bs and looked at my ticket when we saw the avengers a couple of weeks later (different place) and sure enough says they can move you. With young kids we normally go for the earlier, less busy, showings and have not ran across this before. I would be a bit indignant, as we always make an effort to arrive early to get the seats we want. If you are in a bigger group, and show up late, you get what you get...

I don't care what it says on my ticket...
If the theater doesn't have "Reserved Seating," the seats aren't RESERVED.
It's that simple.

Good luck trying to get me to move; I hope they are smart enough to bring more than 3...

post #107 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You guys know how you can stop being pushed about by ushers. It hurts every time I poke myself in the eye.... If they moved me, I'd just go get my money back and complain. If enough people did that, it would stop. Act like sheep, they'll treat you like sheep.

I'm surprised they haven't started charging two (or more) different prices. Low price for the "you can be moved" class ticket and higher price for the "oink f you" tickets. Although that would be even more a mess with having to check tickets and such. They should just give assigned seats like concerts and such for the shows that will be full.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #108 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I avoid the cinema at all costs. Isn't that why I spent a ton of cash for the setup I have at home?

But when I do go I either try to go as the 1st showing of a wekk day when the kids are off, or on the first showing on a Sunday. It doesn't always work, but most times there's only a handful of people in the cinema.

But prices of goodies sucks whichever time you go....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #109 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

But prices of goodies sucks whichever time you go....

The prices suck because that's where theaters earn their money. They make almost no profit on tickets themselves (despite what the prices may suggest), so $10 for a bucket of popcorn is their profit margin.

That's why you sneak your own in. Unless you go to a theater that all but strip searches you at the box office.

I've never been one to snack during movies. I usually eat before or after.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #110 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Act like sheep, they'll treat you like sheep.

Exactly.

Quote:

I'm surprised they haven't started charging two (or more) different prices. Low price for the "you can be moved" class ticket and higher price for the "oink f you" tickets.

The "oink f you" ticket should come with a small can of pepper spray....just in case...

Quote:

They should just give assigned seats like concerts and such for the shows that will be full.

+2

post #111 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
In the late 1990s I went to a theater down in Blackhawk which at the time had one of few decent plexes in the East Bay. That area is populated with a lot of middle management people and right before the film started a smarmy guy with his date and obviously a "boss" asks the people in the seat in the row two ahead of me to move over so he and his date can sit in the middle of the row. Unbelievably they complied. If he had asked me because I was center in my row I would have told him if he wanted to get a good seat to come to the theater earlier and not moved.
post #112 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
While I haven't been moved by an usher, this reminds me of the time the wife and I went to see (of all things) Vanilla Sky on opening weekend. We arrived early enough to get good seats. The theater was packed, but somehow the seats on either side of us were both empty. Naturally, a couple comes in really late (the movie was just about to start) and basically demands that we move down so they can sit together.

Honestly, I didn't give a crap and probably would have just done it, but my wife got a little indignant and told them that we had already found our seats, so they would have to take what was available. Well, that blew up big time, not just from the couple, who got to be really obnoxious about their entitlement to sit together, but from some jerk sitting behind us who accused us of being a*holes for not moving. In fact, he was ruder about it than they were, and grumbled about us well into the movie, long after they left to find seats in the front row, and again when it was over, as if it were our fault that they were late and couldn't get the primo seats they wanted.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #113 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 44
Have had no issues at all going to the movies. Probably because I only go to 5 PM showings.
post #114 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

I avoid the cinema at all costs. Isn't that why I spent a ton of cash for the setup I have at home?
Seggers

Some people create a home theater because they want to avoid movie theaters.

Others (like me) create home theaters inspired by our love of movie-going.
I will almost always prefer experiencing a movie with excellent picture and sound (readily available in many movie theaters where I live) with an enthusiastic crowd, to watching at home. The Avengers was much more enjoyable being part of a big crowd totally into the film, and I'm going to enjoy Prometheus in the theater for the same reasons.

My home theater is a wonderful adjunct to movie going. Obviously, the vast majority of existing movies are not playing in a movie theater, and my projection set up allows a cinematic experience for watching those movies.

There's something of an anti-social "my fellow humans are barbarians and I'm glad I don't have to interact with them anymore when watching a movie" theme seems to run through these threads. The impression given paints a picture of inevitable chaos or a crappy experience in a movie theater. I continue to go to movies and a movie ruined by other patrons is by far the exception rather than the rule. I can't even remember the last time it happened.
post #115 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

There's something of an anti-social "my fellow humans are barbarians and I'm glad I don't have to interact with them anymore when watching a movie" theme seems to run through these threads.

R Harkness

I agree with you for the most part. But I don't think it is anti-social behavior, or my fellow humans are barbarians. Not at all.

Like I stated in my post over a year ago, simple common courtesy, and most importantly, common sense, seems too have been driven out of most people.

Especially young people. It is not too much to ask for people to sit down, shut up, and turn off your damn iphone, or the like.

Putting it plainly, people don't know how to conduct themselves at the movies anymore. And that is just sad.
post #116 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

While I haven't been moved by an usher, this reminds me of the time the wife and I went to see (of all things) Vanilla Sky on opening weekend. We arrived early enough to get good seats. The theater was packed, but somehow the seats on either side of us were both empty. Naturally, a couple comes in really late (the movie was just about to start) and basically demands that we move down so they can sit together.

Honestly, I didn't give a crap and probably would have just done it, but my wife got a little indignant and told them that we had already found out seats, so they would have to take what was available. Well, that blew up big time, not just from the couple, who got to be really obnoxious about their entitlement to sit together, but from some jerk sitting behind us who accused us of being a*holes for not moving. In fact, he was ruder about it than they were, and grumbled about us well into the movie, long after they left to find seats in the front row, and again when it was over, as if it were our fault that they were late and couldn't get the primo seats they wanted.

I think I’m siding with them as well and probably would’ve had the same reaction. Obnoxiousness can go both ways.

On the extremely rare time I go to the theater, if it’s a sparse crowd I’ll try to find a seat in the center, however, if I know its going to be crowded I like an isle seat. I like to stretch out and it’s a much faster exit when it’s over. It’s also much easier when those latecomers show up or someone needs to go to the restroom. The less I have people around me the better I like it.
post #117 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
What drives me buts is when people go to a movie they know will be packed and then sit down, leaving an empty seat between them and the next person. That happens in nearly every row and it is just stupid and rude. People do not have kudis (well, most do not).

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #118 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

The Trailblazers have had a decades-long fetish for guys 7 foot tall...they just can't resist.
They passed up some dude named Michael Jordan for a Greg Oden kinda guy....

Sam Bowie.....Greg Oden; what the fr@k is going on up there? To stay on-topic....I always come early and sit dead-center. Not moving for anyone.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #119 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I continue to go to movies and a movie ruined by other patrons is by far the exception rather than the rule. I can't even remember the last time it happened.

That's because Canadians have "manners" and Americans....
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Like I stated in my post over a year ago, simple common courtesy, and most importantly, common sense, seems too have been driven out of most people.

Especially young people. It is not too much to ask for people to sit down, shut up, and turn off your damn iphone, or the like.

Putting it plainly, people don't know how to conduct themselves at the movies anymore. And that is just sad.

DO NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Sam Bowie.....Greg Oden; what the fr@k is going on up there?

I doubt there has been an NBA team with a more infamous reputation of draft picks gone awry.
IF they had done even an average job of it, the Blazers would have been champs of the league a dozen times over.

If anybody wants to discuss the TrailJailblazers, let's go to PMs and not clog up the thread with OT stuff...

post #120 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I think most people do have common courtesy and it is the small minority that cause the problems. I was at this Imax showing of the relief effort for Haiti, Port au Prince, and the movie had JUST started and this girl next to me has to get up to go to the bathroom. I'm like really? (on the inside) You really have to contort yourself for a person to walk by. Well her dad gives me this nod like "yeah wtf, I'm sorry. Kids" and I let him no its no bigge. I am there with my kid. Just his response made all the difference. Not that it was going to ruin my day, but just common courtesy.

Actually, without that, I probably cold clock him...

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page