The reason why I rarely go to Movie Theaters - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Some people create a home theater because they want to avoid movie theaters.

Others (like me) create home theaters inspired by our love of movie-going.
I will almost always prefer experiencing a movie with excellent picture and sound (readily available in many movie theaters where I live) with an enthusiastic crowd, to watching at home. The Avengers was much more enjoyable being part of a big crowd totally into the film, and I'm going to enjoy Prometheus in the theater for the same reasons.

My home theater is a wonderful adjunct to movie going. Obviously, the vast majority of existing movies are not playing in a movie theater, and my projection set up allows a cinematic experience for watching those movies.

There's something of an anti-social "my fellow humans are barbarians and I'm glad I don't have to interact with them anymore when watching a movie" theme seems to run through these threads. The impression given paints a picture of inevitable chaos or a crappy experience in a movie theater. I continue to go to movies and a movie ruined by other patrons is by far the exception rather than the rule. I can't even remember the last time it happened.

I understand where you're coming from. For all the complaining here (myself included) I think we can all agree that we're film freaks, and a nice sized theater with comfy seats, a decent sound system, and nice sized screen is the ideal place to watch that film we've all been waiting for.

Heck, part of the thrill of going to the theater is experiencing it with other movie goers. I love to hear a crowd reaction to a good scare or a funny line or a wowing action sequence. But even within my short 36 year span on this planet I've come to realize that the movie going experience isn't what it used to be. Especially when you counter in that a lot of that experience can be had fairly affordably at home, rather than the inconvenience of the modern movie theater setup.

I'll probably always be a regular theater goer, but my attendance to theaters has gone down from at least once every other week to once every 3 months or so, and only for those films that I think will make the experience worth the admission in both cost and inconvenience.
adrift is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Some people create a home theater because they want to avoid movie theaters.

Others (like me) create home theaters inspired by our love of movie-going.
I will almost always prefer experiencing a movie with excellent picture and sound (readily available in many movie theaters where I live) with an enthusiastic crowd, to watching at home. The Avengers was much more enjoyable being part of a big crowd totally into the film, and I'm going to enjoy Prometheus in the theater for the same reasons.

My home theater is a wonderful adjunct to movie going. Obviously, the vast majority of existing movies are not playing in a movie theater, and my projection set up allows a cinematic experience for watching those movies.

There's something of an anti-social "my fellow humans are barbarians and I'm glad I don't have to interact with them anymore when watching a movie" theme seems to run through these threads. The impression given paints a picture of inevitable chaos or a crappy experience in a movie theater. I continue to go to movies and a movie ruined by other patrons is by far the exception rather than the rule. I can't even remember the last time it happened.

Nicely put, Rich. I could have written that myself and not been lying one bit. I really enjoy the social aspect of a semi-crowded theater (I still don't go to opening nights or first weekends, though). The bad experiences are far outweighed by the good or uneventful ones. Too bad it's so expensive to go... I'm a cheap bastard. Anyway, I like going out to the movies for the social aspect of it.

Plus, even with the money I've sunk into what I and the neighborhood consider a worthy theater at home, a properly setup and equipped cinema is awesome.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #123 of 176 Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Sam Bowie.....Greg Oden; what the fr@k is going on up there?

This reminds me of something a very smart Oklahoman sportswriter wrote in this morning's edition. He said that the Thunder and the Spurs remarkable success was accomplished "Through smarts and commitment and dumb luck." Indeed.

As some others have observed, I have seen little behavior in movie theaters here that I considered seriously disruptive. Generally speaking, I think putting up with loud eaters and the occasional cell phone screen is a reasonable tradeoff to not being able to share the moviegoing experience with others.
gwsat is offline  
post #124 of 176 Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
How 'bout the people who think that the top of the seat in front of them is a foot rest. Probably not too bad unless there is some sitting next to it and smelling their dirty sneakers. Many a time I've wanted to ram something into the bottom of a sneaker.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #125 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

On the down side, I fear that my Thunder are getting ready to lose a playoff series to the team that will be the NBA champion for the third year in a row.

Don't they wish. SA hasn't won a championship since the '06-'07 season. The Mavs won last year.
Aliens is offline  
post #126 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sound dropouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

That's because Canadians have "manners" and Americans....
DO NOT.

Down here in the south we do.
sound dropouts is offline  
post #127 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Down here in the south we do.

Because I don't venture down yonder, and usually don't consider The South part of the U.S....I'll just take your word for it.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #128 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I had NO idea this kind of stuff was done.
Are you talking about "reserved" seating?
I thought theater seating was "general admission," not "reserved."

I only go to matinées; if an usher told me to move, I would tell him to F*CK OFF.

You knew this was coming, right? Don't know if he can fight, but I bet he'll dance you to death...
LL

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #129 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

You knew this was coming, right? Don't know if he can fight, but I bet he'll dance you to death...

It's gonna take more than that guy to move my butt....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #130 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Don't they wish. SA hasn't won a championship since the '06-'07 season. The Mavs won last year.

The Mavericks won last year after they eliminated the Thunder in the West Finals. LA won the year before after eliminating the Thunder in the first round. I fear the Spurs will eliminate the Thunder in the West Finals this year. If that happens, I predict that the Spurs will, beat the East champions for the crown . That's why I posted this:
Quote:


On the down side, I fear that my Thunder are getting ready to lose a playoff series to the team that will be the NBA champion for the third year in a row.

I went to church with my daughter and her family this morning and based on the competition several loud and squirmy infants were giving the service, I guess I have been lucky with how few distractions I have had in movie theaters.
gwsat is offline  
post #131 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Mavericks won last year after they eliminated the Thunder in the West Finals. LA won the year before after eliminating the Thunder in the first round. I fear the Spurs will eliminate the Thunder in the West Finals this year. If that happens, I predict that the Spurs will, beat the East champions for the crown .

Ah, gotcha. I like whoever makes it out of the west. I can't believe those aging Spurs are doing it again.
Aliens is offline  
post #132 of 176 Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Ah, gotcha. I like whoever makes it out of the west. I can't believe those aging Spurs are doing it again.

The Spurs have been playing GREAT for almost 2 months and Parker and Ginobli are healthy and playing like they are 25 again. It's no wonder the Spurs have won 18 in a row, 8 of them in the playoffs, by a margin of about 16 points a game. They are really, really dangerous right now.
gwsat is offline  
post #133 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

nicely put, rich. I could have written that myself and not been lying one bit. I really enjoy the social aspect of a semi-crowded theater (i still don't go to opening nights or first weekends, though). The bad experiences are far outweighed by the good or uneventful ones. Too bad it's so expensive to go... I'm a cheap bastard. Anyway, i like going out to the movies for the social aspect of it.

Plus, even with the money i've sunk into what i and the neighborhood consider a worthy theater at home, a properly setup and equipped cinema is awesome.

+1
Cam Man is offline  
post #134 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
My wife made me go to a local Cineplex when "Hunger Games" came out .. it was the first time I had set foot in a theater since "King Kong" .. (Peter Jacksons version .. ) ..

The PQ I get as well as the SQ I get in my home theater is noticably better than the commercial theater .. and it's a modern commercial theater ..

There were at least 5 reminders on screen and thru the sound system to turn off phones and be respectful of others .. which is quite a change from when I last went .. and those techniques seemed to work for the most part ..

Overall, we both enjoyed it .. in fact, having been a movie goer since the 1960's, I actually felt like I missed it some ..

Will I again become a regular theater patron .. ?? Likely not .. but I will be more willing to go ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #135 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm coming in late on this discussion and haven't really read the thread but while watching Quantum of Solace last night during the opera scene I thought to myself, what an exclusive looking black tie event complete with guest list. I've gone to many different type of shows including a couple of opera's and it was never like that.

So I thought I'd ask the question here, If there were an opening night event for *insert your preferred movie here* at your local theater, would you go?

While I won't go as far as to say "black tie" or any kind of tie for that matter but a preregistered event with an included concession of your choice and even assigned seating (for that event only). The idea I'm getting at is that the premier would be controlled similar to that of a Hollywood premier instead of the cattle call that we're all used to.
Closet Geek is offline  
post #136 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post


There's something of an anti-social "my fellow humans are barbarians and I'm glad I don't have to interact with them anymore when watching a movie" theme seems to run through these threads. The impression given paints a picture of inevitable chaos or a crappy experience in a movie theater. I continue to go to movies and a movie ruined by other patrons is by far the exception rather than the rule. I can't even remember the last time it happened.

Your post was excellent ..

Although I will admit that part of the driving force behind building my Home Theater" was the barbarians I had encountered, it was a small part of it ..

My problem was likely the fact that once the Home Theater was finished, I liked it so much, had spent so much money on it, and it was available anytime, I discounted commericial theaters as a venue .. this became even more an entrenched way of thinking when BD came out ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #137 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

My problem was likely the fact that once the Home Theater was finished, I liked it so much, had spent so much money on it, and it was available anytime, I discounted commericial theaters as a venue .. this became even more an entrenched way of thinking when BD came out ..

I agree that the advent of BDs made home theater systems even more attractive than they had been. After Blu-ray defeated HD DVD in the Great Format War, I bought a BD player and the rest is history. In short order I then bought a 60 inch plasma display, followed by a modern speaker system and a beefy AV receiver.

Despite my HT system, I still go to to the theater with reasonable regularity. I like the shared experience of watching a film, which one can only get in a darkened theater with a bunch of other people. Also a brand new digital IMAX in the OKC area, which has the largest digital IMAX screen in the country, 101 feet wide, has become a frequent venue.
gwsat is offline  
post #138 of 176 Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't think anyone needs to defend their choice to go or not to go into the commercial cinemas. Choice is good and people should embrace that instead of making silly remarks about who's fooling one's mind by staying home, or how an HT can't rival with a proper cinema etc.... You make your choice and it's all good, everything else is just rubbish.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #139 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post


So I thought I'd ask the question here, If there were an opening night event for *insert your preferred movie here* at your local theater, would you go?

NO, I never go to opening night.
The soonest I'll get there is the next Monday matinée (preferably the 2nd week).


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

My problem was likely the fact that once the Home Theater was finished, I liked it so much, had spent so much money on it, and it was available anytime, I discounted commericial theaters as a venue .. this became even more an entrenched way of thinking when BD came out ..

+1


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Despite my HT system, I still go to to the theater with reasonable regularity. I like the shared experience of watching a film, which one can only get in a darkened theater with a bunch of other people.

More power to ya...you're a tougher man than I.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #140 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

NO, I never go to opening night.
The soonest I'll get there is the next Monday matinée (preferably the 2nd week).

I will sometimes go to an opening Friday matinee of a new film because I have learned that even new and popular releases usually don't fill up the theaters for matinees. An exception has been the new Moore Warren IMAX with the "Country's largest" digital IMAX screen. Blockbusters like The Hunger Games and The Avengers sell out there, even for matinees.

Quote:


More power to ya...you're a tougher man than I.

I shouldn't overstate the case. While I still go to to the theater with reasonable regularity, I seldom go more frequently than a couple of times a month. Thus, I still see the overwhelming majority of films I watch on my HT system. Between my BD library, Cox OKC's gazillion HD movie channels, and an occasional Redbox rental, there's never any shortage.
gwsat is offline  
post #141 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:


Originally Posted by gwsat
Despite my HT system, I still go to to the theater with reasonable regularity. I like the shared experience of watching a film, which one can only get in a darkened theater with a bunch of other people.

I don't mind other people. It's the jackasses that bother me.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #142 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'm coming in late on this discussion and haven't really read the thread but while watching Quantum of Solace last night during the opera scene I thought to myself, what an exclusive looking black tie event complete with guest list. I've gone to many different type of shows including a couple of opera's and it was never like that.

So I thought I'd ask the question here, If there were an opening night event for *insert your preferred movie here* at your local theater, would you go?

While I won't go as far as to say "black tie" or any kind of tie for that matter but a preregistered event with an included concession of your choice and even assigned seating (for that event only). The idea I'm getting at is that the premier would be controlled similar to that of a Hollywood premier instead of the cattle call that we're all used to.

Not exactly what you're talking about but the Colonial is an old theater in PA that does special events like this but not for premiers. They have a cool "almost black tie" event for the Oscars where people get dressed up, drink fancy drinks, arrive on a red carpet with paparazzi and all sit in the theater to watch the awards. It sounds like a blast and I'd love to go one year. I believe they have also done this for a 35mm screening of classic films, just not to that extent.

Oscar party, classic 35mm films, MST3K, midnight screenings of The Room and their Italian horror movie splatterfest are things that draw in the anti-multiplex crowd and it's been pretty successful so far. Get creative to survive or become another abandoned building.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

 

31 Days of Horror:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wizzack is offline  
post #143 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I don't think anyone needs to defend their choice to go or not to go into the commercial cinemas. Choice is good and people should embrace that instead of making silly remarks about who's fooling one's mind by staying home, or how an HT can't rival with a proper cinema etc.... You make your choice and it's all good, everything else is just rubbish.

I think we're just having a somewhat light hearted discussion on the merits one way or the other .. choice is good .. so is comparing notes ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #144 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Comparing notes are good but this is a long thread, and not the first of it's kind either, so wonder how long can this horse be beaten to death?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #145 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Comparing notes are good but this is a long thread, and not the first of it's kind either, so wonder how long can this horse be beaten to death?

Like all threads, this one will continue to attract posters as long as there are at least two AVS members still interested in posting here. I am still enjoying reading what others have to say about the relative merits of going to the theater and seeing a movie on BD in their home theaters. I have also enjoyed the stories told by posters about what they have seen in theaters of the conduct of other patrons. Some of those stories have left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry.
gwsat is offline  
post #146 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well, I hadn't been to a cinema in years-the last film I had saw in a theater was Mama Mia, due to losing a bet with my wife Been there 3 times in the last two months-for Cabin in the Woods and twice for The Avengers. Clearly, Joss has the power to pull me in...I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised all 3 times-the audiences were all polite and well mannered. And The Avengers being my first commercial film I've experienced in Imax, I was pleased by that too. The 2nd time I saw it was in a regular theater, and the difference was shocking. I told who I was with it was like the difference between blu-ray and vhs

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #147 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Comparing notes are good but this is a long thread, and not the first of it's kind either, so wonder how long can this horse be beaten to death?

It's really not that long a thread yet ..

And if all the duplicate threads / similar threads were taken down, AVS would save some real server space ..

Sometimes, it's good to revisit a topic .. my motivations have changed since I last participated in a thread like this and it's always nice to hear some other member perspectives ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #148 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's really not that long a thread yet ..

And if all the duplicate threads / similar threads were taken down, AVS would save some real server space ..

Sometimes, it's good to revisit a topic .. my motivations have changed since I last participated in a thread like this and it's always nice to hear some other member perspectives ..

this Falling horse On beaten Deaf to Ears death.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #149 of 176 Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Opening day matinées can be full here. I've seen packed houses when it is a much awaited film and often I notice groups coming in as if "the boss" decided to take the crew to movie as a perk. I usually wait until a matinée into the next week when there will usually be ~10-12 people in the audience.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #150 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but viewed Prometheus at a different theater than my normal two that I use. Just the 2d showing and probably not one of their better rooms but still decent size etc. Something was wrong with their projector. In any light colored scene you could see a white, vertical line - maybe 10 pixels wide and almost as high as the full screen. Five of these in the image that cut the screen into equal sixths. Sometimes just part of the screen was light enough to see this line, sometimes the whole screen was light, like a blue sky vista or something, and there they were in all their glory. I assumed it was some kind of defect or dead pixels in the PJ, and pointed it out to one of the folks I went with. They shrugged it off and I did not want to make a stink because it was their normal cinema so did not tell the manager. But, sheesh, I would have been embarrassed to charge money for that flawed of an image.

Oh well, another reason to look forward to the bluray.smile.gif

Location: Beaverton, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoCaboNow is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off