post #151 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

But, sheesh, I would have been embarrassed to charge money for that flawed of an image.
I have never met a merchant who was embarrassed to take my $$$.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Oh well, another reason to look forward to the bluray.smile.gif
Or head out to see an IMAX 3D showing.....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have never met a merchant who was embarrassed to take my $$$.biggrin.gif
Or head out to see an IMAX 3D showing.....wink.gif

Yeah, as I was sitting there listening to the crappy audio and seeing the lines on the screen, was thinking I should have done something different. ZERO surrounds and LFE impact for the movie.eek.gif

I did call the theater today. Not to complain, but more to make sure they knew what was going on and fix it. The mgr was very nice about it and said it was an older theater and old screen(he said it was the screen causing the lines) and offered me a couple of tickets. It is not real convenient for me to go there so doubtful if I would use them - not to mention the question mark of the equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, as I was sitting there listening to the crappy audio and seeing the lines on the screen, was thinking I should have done something different. ZERO surrounds and LFE impact for the movie.eek.gif
I did call the theater today. Not to complain, but more to make sure they knew what was going on and fix it. The mgr was very nice about it and said it was an older theater and old screen(he said it was the screen causing the lines) and offered me a couple of tickets. It is not real convenient for me to go there so doubtful if I would use them - not to mention the question mark of the equipment.
I was going to see an IMAX 3D presentation today, but a dental appointment got in the way.
Anyway, tomorrow for certain.

Bend now has an IMAX 3D theater.
The video is terrific (of course).
Unfortunately, though the sound is superb, but almost causes ear pain.
In fact, the wife will be wearing ear plugs tomorrow.eek.gif
Have you found the IMAX volume levels uncomfortable up your way?

post #154 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Last weekend I passed over seeing Prometheus in 3D IMAX. I love our gigantic new Moore Warren IMAX theater in Moore, OK but not enough to go there for 3D films. I wish it were otherwise but there it is.
post #155 of 176 Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Last weekend I passed over seeing Prometheus in 3D IMAX. I love our gigantic new Moore Warren IMAX theater in Moore, OK but not enough to go there for 3D films. I wish it were otherwise but there it is.
You city-slickers get all the good stuff!tongue.gif

Anyway, how bout The Thunder?
Looking pretty damn good right now....wink.gif

post #156 of 176 Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like to see movies on my Mac, saving money and I didn't go out. And I found a nice way to watch kinds of video formats using a powerful video converter. It's really nice.
post #157 of 176 Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinex View Post

I like to see movies on my Mac, saving money and I didn't go out. And I found a nice way to watch kinds of video formats using a powerful video converter. It's really nice.

I usually do, too.
I'm new mac user,google powerful video converter,there will be a lot of brands,I don't know which one is good.
Now, after using handbrake for several months,always meet some problem.
I also need to good software for free.
post #158 of 176 Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You city-slickers get all the good stuff!tongue.gif
Anyway, how bout The Thunder?
Looking pretty damn good right now....wink.gif
Don't speak it! I'm afraid of jinxing them.smile.gif
post #159 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
This could get ugly.

‘Cinema Ninjas’ Hired by Movie Theater to Discipline Patrons Who Talk During Film

http://gawker.com/5942926/cinema-ninjas-hired-by-movie-theater-to-discipline-patrons-who-talk-during-film

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #160 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

This could get ugly.
‘Cinema Ninjas’ Hired by Movie Theater to Discipline Patrons Who Talk During Film
http://gawker.com/5942926/cinema-ninjas-hired-by-movie-theater-to-discipline-patrons-who-talk-during-film
Great idea, but I dunno....ninjas don't scare me.

Personally, I would hire vampires....or maybe The Hulk.

post #161 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A group of Regal cinemas out here in Akron, Ohio finally started installing digital projectors that I'm proud to say they actually know how to focus finally. But get this. On two different days on two different screens I noticed that the screens weren't being masked off during the feature. Both screens were showing 2:35:1 films but there were black bars at the top and bottom! Turns out the masking screens weren't automated. They had to pull them in place by hand and the manager said she didn't have enough help or shift time to do it by hand. Besides, she said, no one ever notices or complains. I told why would I pay good money to come to the theater when I could just buy or rent the film eventfully and watch it at home with black bars! The icing on the cake is that those theaters are where they will be showing the upcoming 4K version of Lawrence of Arabia, WITH black bars of course. Sent an email to their corporate HQ and since I work for the newspaper here in town told our entertainment writer about it and he's going to look into it. Turns out Regal has quite a long history if doing this around the country. Needless to say, no more going there and just another reason why I'm glad I have a home theater

post #162 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

A group of Regal cinemas out here in Akron, Ohio finally started installing digital projectors that I'm proud to say they actually know how to focus finally. But get this. On two different days on two different screens I noticed that the screens weren't being masked off during the feature. Both screens were showing 2:35:1 films but there were black bars at the top and bottom! Turns out the masking screens weren't automated. They had to pull them in place by hand and the manager said she didn't have enough help or shift time to do it by hand. Besides, she said, no one ever notices or complains. I told why would I pay good money to come to the theater when I could just buy or rent the film eventfully and watch it at home with black bars! The icing on the cake is that those theaters are where they will be showing the upcoming 4K version of Lawrence of Arabia, WITH black bars of course. Sent an email to their corporate HQ and since I work for the newspaper here in town told our entertainment writer about it and he's going to look into it. Turns out Regal has quite a long history if doing this around the country. Needless to say, no more going there and just another reason why I'm glad I have a home theater

No way! I had the same experience last year when viewing Drive at a Rave Cinema. Called the theater, spoke to the manager and complained. He said the masking system was broken and they didn't think anyone would notice. Any "normal" person wouldn't think twice but us AVS'ers are a different animal! He offered a full refund and a tour of the projection facility which turned out to be extra cool because an old projectionist from the area keeps his Edison era projectors and equipment there.

I tried emailing and facebook first but they were only responsive with a phone call. You should definitely give them a shout, especially if they will be showing LoA4K. Good luck!

31 Days of Horror:

post #163 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
OMG! Black bars!?!? The nerve. rolleyes.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #164 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

OMG! Black bars!?!? The nerve. rolleyes.gif

The nerve - exactly.

The theater has a 2.35 screen. Screen was masked for a 1.78 movie but they were showing something in 2.35 - hence the black bars at the top and bottom. Masking should have been removed and opened up to the wider 2.35 AR - filling the screen. wink.gif

31 Days of Horror:

post #165 of 176 Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
At times the masking is supposed to hide more than just black bars. I remember going to see Woddy Allen's Hollywood Ending, and all kinds of things were getting into the frame that shouldn't have been there like boom microphones, the edges of light diffusers, electrical wiring, just a bunch of stuff that should have been cropped out. How the hell did that happen?
post #166 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

At times the masking is supposed to hide more than just black bars. I remember going to see Woddy Allen's Hollywood Ending, and all kinds of things were getting into the frame that shouldn't have been there like boom microphones, the edges of light diffusers, electrical wiring, just a bunch of stuff that should have been cropped out. How the hell did that happen?
Hey, it's a Woody Allen movie!

OK, just kidding....biggrin.gif

post #167 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

A 35mm film print for a movie photographed "flat" (i.e. not "scope" widescreen) contains the entire 1.37:1 image from the negative, which is then masked down to 1.85:1 in the projector. If the print is mis-aligned, the image can slide up or down and expose picture that you're not intended to see (while cropping from the other direction). This is something that only takes a projectionist a few seconds to fix on the fly, but of course most theaters don't have projectionists anymore.

This is one area where digital projection has a decided advantage.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #168 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

A 35mm film print for a movie photographed "flat" (i.e. not "scope" widescreen) contains the entire 1.37:1 image from the negative, which is then masked down to 1.85:1 in the projector. If the print is mis-aligned, the image can slide up or down and expose picture that you're not intended to see (while cropping from the other direction). This is something that only takes a projectionist a few seconds to fix on the fly, but of course most theaters don't have projectionists anymore.
This is one area where digital projection has a decided advantage.

It could also be a case where they removed the anamorphic lens from the projector (anamorphic movies use the entire 1.37 35mm frame) and forgot to put in the 1.85 AR masking plate. This would be for a theater doing double duty - showing both 1.85 and 2.39 AR movies with curtains to shorten the 2.39 screen down to 1.85.
post #169 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

This could get ugly.
I feel for the person in the picture who has a probably stinky tennies resting on the back of their seat. That should really get someone thrown out of a theater not to mention talking or obsessively looking at your cellphone during a movie.

Regarding masking, I recall seeing a Gary Shandling movie back in the late 1990s where the projector was misframed cutting off the bottom and showing the lights and boom microphone at the top. I went to the lobby and reported it but nothing was done. These days at the lobby the local all digital theater they actually have a web interface to control and fix things that is if they know how to run it. After all you probably have some kid working there trying to pay off his college loan to get that comp sci degree that he can't find a job with.
post #170 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Figure this is on topic enough. The picture in the spoiler below was taken from my eye level at a local theater a few weeks ago. No idea what they were thinking when they built it. I'm 6'1 and this is the view I had. My daughter refused to sit in a booster seat (she's too big anyway) so we had to sit in the "side seats" so she could look around the side of the seat in front of her. The theater floor is flat too. No stadium seating. I'm pretty tolerant when going to the theater since I usually know what to expect, but this was fairly ridiculous.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_1721.jpg

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #171 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Figure this is on topic enough. The picture in the spoiler below was taken from my eye level at a local theater a few weeks ago. No idea what they were thinking when they built it. I'm 6'1 and this is the view I had. My daughter refused to sit in a booster seat (she's too big anyway) so we had to sit in the "side seats" so she could look around the side of the seat in front of her. The theater floor is flat too. No stadium seating. I'm pretty tolerant when going to the theater since I usually know what to expect, but this was fairly ridiculous. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_1721.jpg

Do you have a vid of the movie too...tongue.gif

JK. That's pretty bad. We usually go to a slightly older, but close by, theater as we can always get the row in the middleish of the theater, right behind a walkway and my girls don't have any sight issues. When we venture out we always get a big headed, tall guy that sits in front of one of them right before the movie starts and we have to play musical chairs. biggrin.gif

Lately, we have also been hitting a Cinetopia, if they have those in your area. Very steep stadium seating.

post #172 of 176 Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Do you have a vid of the movie too...tongue.gif
JK. That's pretty bad. We usually go to a slightly older, but close by, theater as we can always get the row in the middleish of the theater, right behind a walkway and my girls don't have any sight issues. When we venture out we always get a big headed, tall guy that sits in front of one of them right before the movie starts and we have to play musical chairs. biggrin.gif
Lately, we have also been hitting a Cinetopia, if they have those in your area. Very steep stadium seating.
I live in the crotch of the US (Mississippi). Good theaters aren't plentiful here. At least, not as plentiful as libraries and people with all their teeth (/sarcasm). We do have a theater room or two that is quite good, actually, but they're usually dedicated to whatever the "new" movie is. Sometimes those new movies aren't made for those of us who can spell our own names.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #173 of 176 Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

There used to be a theater, The Park, in nearby Lafayette. They specialized in independent and foreign films. IOW, they were an art house. They also had fresh popcorn with real butter. But it was an old theater with a poorly graduated floor and if anyone sat down in front of you it would partially obscure the screen. I know that many romantics loved these old movie houses but at the ticket prices they weren't worth going to except for an off night and even then some idiot given that most seats were empty would plop themselves down right in front of me. It's gone away with most art house films played at the old Century 5 in Concord which has a dome with stadium seating (one of the first theaters in the area with that). But the four side auditoriums that were remodeled in the late 90s though graduated need another remodel. In fact I read that Cinemark wanted to remodel but had a problem with the landlord.

OTOH, the nearby Contra Costa 8 was the first all digital theater in the area witn all stadium seating. But they mainly show the tent pole films and specialize in 3D and D-Box.
post #174 of 176 Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I live in the crotch of the US (Mississippi).
NOW, I get you.tongue.gif

post #175 of 176 Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The black levels also stink, i'm not expecting Plasma inky blacks but come on! This is supposed to be high-end? How much does it cost to build a movie theater? I'd also like it if they turned down some of the lights in the rooms instead of the one from the projector, DOH!

post #176 of 176 Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The US studios put together a program to help theaters go digital. So many are. The digital projectors such as a Christie are much more expensive than the film ones and often if there is even a projectionist on duty they don't know how to maintenance them so they on call techs who can come out within 4 hours. Thing is that people aren't going to theaters anymore. The week before last was the worst box office since right after 9/11. So I expect chains to go under and there was an article I read where Brad Pitt said that bill fees for A-list actors are going away because the studios can't afford them and are finding it difficult to get financing for tent poles.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page