Another Earth 2011 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone see this trailer? Looks interesting, like it's one of those character-driven stories where the sci-fi element serves more as a background, like Monsters or Never Let Me Go.

I am also assuming they either address or completely ignore the issues with having another planet that close to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could've sworn I posted this one already, but I guess not. Very intriguing trailer imo.
post #3 of 33 Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...10729984/0/RSS

What's impressive is how well this film joins its parts into a whole. The other Earth idea is left as a fantastical hook and wisely not considered scientifically, except of course in its role as the film's master image. The relationship between Rhoda and John is seen as fraught with danger. The actors occupy their characters convincingly. They make us care more than the plot really requires. Earth 2, always looming in the sky, encourages us to reflect on how arbitrary our destinies are. In one sense, nothing in our lives was necessary. In another sense, everything was inevitable.

...it's strong as it is, and Marling emerges as a gifted new talent. The movie is as thought-provoking, in a less profound way, than Tarkovsky's "Solaris," another film about a sort of parallel Earth.
post #4 of 33 Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got around to watching this on BD a couple of nights ago.

The movie was decent enough, but could've (almost) completely lost the sci-fi element and not lost anything. The non-sci-fi story itself was interesting, but every time something with "Earth 2" came up and I thought they were going to run with it (as the trailer leads you to believe), the movie seemed to just gloss over it.

I wish they would've explored more of it. It seemed to quit mid-stride everytime they got to the sci-fi stuff.

Oh well...it was still a decent movie (and I was entertained). Just feel slightly misled that they'd actually explore more of the Earth 2/doppelganger element.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Check out the thread I made on Upside Down, has a similar vibe but seems to focus more on the sci-fi elements.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Saw this a few nights ago. It was good. Nothing great though but ill check out upside down

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 33 Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I give this film a C minus at best. It is very low budget and the actors were not very appealing. The plot was of modest interest. Overall, there are many much better movies out there to rent or buy.

Try watching 12 Moneys again. That was a good sci-fi flick.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
Saw this the other night with the wife, who is a sci fi fan (yay for me!). We both found it engaging and intellectually interesting. If you want a sci-fi movie with lasers or planets exploding, you'll be disappointed, but we thought it was well acted and thought provoking. Probably a 7.5 or an 8 out of 10 for me.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
My NF copy arrived today.
Will watch tonite.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I saw this recently as well and enjoyed it. One question though...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

What purpose did the old school custodian serve?

Cary
post #11 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

My wife and I saw this recently as well and enjoyed it. One question though...

Spoiler  

What purpose did the old school custodian serve?

Cary

Im not sure either...saw this awhile ago and still wondering.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #12 of 33 Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hit the EJECT button at approx. 1/2 hour.

Spoiler  
Head-on collision and airbags don't deploy?
The kid goes thru the windshield when the force of the crash would cause just the opposite effect?
An MIT Scholarship winner who has her American history backwards?
The father wouldn't recognize her at his front door?
She shows up without cleaning supplies and yet is supposed to have a high IQ?

Too many screwups for me sit thru this....

post #13 of 33 Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Hit the EJECT button at approx. 1/2 hour.

Spoiler  
Head-on collision and airbags don't deploy?
The kid goes thru the windshield when the force of the crash would cause just the opposite effect?

- THis falls into my "the point is that the kid dies so I'll give a pass to the mechanics of it" category. Besides, it wasn't too far off; car gets moved backwards so best case is that the kid in the back seat stays stationary, putting him on the street right where the car was. He wasn't too far off from that.

An MIT Scholarship winner who has her American history backwards?

- Where did she mess it up?

The father wouldn't recognize her at his front door?

- They stated that her identity was witheld.

She shows up without cleaning supplies and yet is supposed to have a high IQ?

- She intended to confess her identity. The cleaning deal was impromptu.

I'll agree that it wasn't perfect and I'm not fan enough to defend it too much, but these points don't seem too bad to me.

Too many screwups for me sit thru this....

Responses imbedded...

Cary
post #14 of 33 Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

Responses imbedded...

Cary

Spoiler  
Her response to why she should be allowed to go the other Earth.
Paraphrasing here...America's first immigrants from Europe were simply poor farmers or common ordinary folk (like her).
Ho-ho-ho...
An American myth, spoon-fed to the masses for generations.
Apparently, this MIT-qualified girl had never heard of Jamestown or the Colony of Roanoke or The Virginia, Plymouth, London Companies?
The first English settlements were for the purposes of making $$$ for Jolly Old England and those who initially came over were soldiers, tradesman, and others with skills.
Not credible she didn't know this IMO.

Her name may have been withheld from media publications, but I doubt from the victim.
There wouldn't be some kind of court proceeding with, you know, court records of her being sentenced to prison?
Even if she pleaded guilty, there would have been some kind of official documents.
And the father wouldn't have been allowed to see this, after his family had been wiped out?
Again, not credible IMO.

post #15 of 33 Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not going to spoiler tag this since the movie is already out:

Immigrant comment: I don't remember the exact immigrant comment in the movie and even though Roanoke was founded quite awhile before Plymouth (and for different reasons: Roanoke for $$ and Plymouth for social reasons), do you really think this is a great thing to nit-pick in a movie when pretty much everyone watching the movie considers Plymouth as among the first immigrants? I mean, I know it's not historically accurate if you take "first immigrants" literally as in the very first people to come here, but are you sure you're not just being a bit over-dramatic about one comment in a movie?

Accident: I remember him being in front of the car on the sidewalk on the side of the road corresponding to the side he was sitting on (the car being hit in the opposite corner. I don't remember if it was implied he went through the windshield. The car was obviously pushed back quite a bit, and it's certainly not unusual for people to be ejected from a car out the side door or window (especially given the angle of the impact on the opposite side of the car). Certainly plausible, but again nit-picky.

Juvenile Records:Exact specifics vary from state to state, but generally juvenile records are not public, but in this case (underage drinker causing an accident), the victim's attorney can choose to petition the court for the information for civil liability purposes, but the victim can only view that petition, which doesn't contain any identifying info. So it's entirely possible the victim won't even know who the juvenile is, and in this case it's perfectly understandable since 2 victims were killed and the other was not conscious. It's entirely possible the victim and the juvenile never even see each other depending on the specifics of the case (in the movie for example, it's pretty obvious the police arrest her on scene and it's an open-shut case that's not going to be tied up in some long drawn out trial or anything.). Once the juvenile becomes an adult, they can petition to have the court records sealed completely, and later possibly expunged (destroyed/wiped).

I would base your assumption here on ignorance around how juvenile court typically works, but it's not a mistake in the movie from what I can tell and my work within the criminal justice system over the last few years (admittedly I am not as familiar with the juvenile court system as the adult one).

Not saying the movie doesn't have flaws (because it does) but you seem to be picking out very minor things to complain about (heck, you didn't even get the cleaning thing was impromptu?). What about the major issue that he has a major hottie in his house and pretty much ignores her? What about that? Huh?
post #16 of 33 Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Immigrant comment: I don't remember the exact immigrant comment in the movie and even though Roanoke was founded quite awhile before Plymouth (and for different reasons: Roanoke for $$ and Plymouth for social reasons), do you really think this is a great thing to nit-pick in a movie when pretty much everyone watching the movie considers Plymouth as among the first immigrants? I mean, I know it's not historically accurate if you take "first immigrants" literally as in the very first people to come here, but are you sure you're not just being a bit over-dramatic about one comment in a movie?

I dunno, maybe it's just me...
But when a movie tells me a character is genius-level smart I expect the character to be...you know, kinda sharp.
AFAIK, MIT doesn't hand-out scholarships to someone with a poor education.

Quote:

Accident: I remember him being in front of the car on the sidewalk on the side of the road corresponding to the side he was sitting on (the car being hit in the opposite corner. I don't remember if it was implied he went through the windshield. The car was obviously pushed back quite a bit, and it's certainly not unusual for people to be ejected from a car out the side door or window (especially given the angle of the impact on the opposite side of the car). Certainly plausible, but again nit-picky.

Did you notice the big HOLE in the windshield between the driver and the front passenger?
The kind of hole that's created when someone goes thru it?

Quote:

Juvenile Records:Exact specifics vary from state to state, but generally juvenile records are not public, but in this case (underage drinker causing an accident), the victim's attorney can choose to petition the court for the information for civil liability purposes, but the victim can only view that petition, which doesn't contain any identifying info.

OK, now I'm confused...
Are you saying a juvenile can kill your family and you do not have the right to know who it is?
Sorry, but I find that a little hard to believe...

Quote:

Not saying the movie doesn't have flaws (because it does) but you seem to be picking out very minor things to complain about (heck, you didn't even get the cleaning thing was impromptu?)

No, I got that it was "impromptu."
My complaint is it SHOULDN'T have been.
Considering the girl had spent time in prison with a lot of time to ponder every possible thing about the accident and she was allegedly super-smart, and yet, she DIDN'T have an assortment of canned answers available should the guy actually answer the door she is knocking on?
Really?

Quote:

What about the major issue that he has a major hottie in his house and pretty much ignores her? What about that? Huh?

OK, now YOU'RE nitpicking.

post #17 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The impromptu comment...hmmm

I've actually been in a position like that and had quite sometime to figure out what to say. But instead I got there and completely froze lol.

Totally understandable what she did lol. Cleaning maid service...I would've never thougt of that but wasn't she wearing her work overalls so it kind of makes sense.

All in all I enjoyed the film. Not bad but probably not gonna rewatch ever.

post #18 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I give this film a C minus at best. It is very low budget and the actors were not very appealing. The plot was of modest interest. Overall, there are many much better movies out there to rent or buy.

I turned it off after 30 minutes.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, now I'm confused...
Are you saying a juvenile can kill your family and you do not have the right to know who it is?
Sorry, but I find that a little hard to believe...

Pretty sure that's entirely possible given circumstances, such as involuntary manslaughter charges that wouldn't even go to a criminal trial (the movie also doesn't go into if he ever requests the identity be released or even if he bursts into the courthouse irate and screaming and threatening everyone).

However, I am currently in a meeting sitting across the table from the Executive Director of the Juvenile Detention Centers Assoc. of PA. I'll ask him about it as soon as we're done, which will be an hour or so. Heck, I'll send him an email....he has his laptop open.
post #20 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
From what I've read in most states, if the juvenile is tried in Juvenile court, you have to petition the court to find out the identity (usually for civil litigation.) Otherwise, no the identity of the juvenile isn't revealed to anyone but court officials. It's under the premise that juveniles can be "salvaged" and will have their identities shielded, unless they're tried as an adult, and then all bets are off.

If he never petitions, then he probably doesn't know who she is.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #21 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

From what I've read in most states, if the juvenile is tried in Juvenile court, you have to petition the court to find out the identity (usually for civil litigation.) Otherwise, no the identity of the juvenile isn't revealed to anyone but court officials. It's under the premise that juveniles can be "salvaged" and will have their identities shielded, unless they're tried as an adult, and then all bets are off.

If he never petitions, then he probably doesn't know who she is.

I said as much earlier. We had a break so I talked with him directly, and he's trying to find a document for me (at least how it pertains to PA juvenile law), but he pretty much agreed with us.

He did say the law recently changed and for some of the most serious offenses, if the juvenile is over 14 then the judge can order that the trial can be open to the public (not considered being tried as an adult). He did not know if the case in the movie would fall into one of those offenses, as it would be involuntary manslaughter, and it's not like she burst into the house and held them hostage and executed them or anything (not 1st degree murder or anything like that). He's looking for a definitive answer for me, but it looks like the case in the movie is entirely possible given the details that we know (obviously law is a lot more complicated than the limited items presented in the movie)

I'm putting way too much work into finding this out, but figured I'd make use of him since he's sitting right here
post #22 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if more info on the legal proceedings regarding the girl was given later in the movie (as I dumped it), but I assumed she pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter as a juvenile and was not brought to trial (although I would never recommend pleading guilty to anything).

The laws protecting juvenile identity for crimes involving death vary from state to state.
Nevertheless, it is an interesting topic.

post #23 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, here's his "definitive" answer for PA. As of recently, if you're over 14 in PA and you commit a crime that would be considered ANY felony if the person was an adult (including involuntary manslaughter), the record is automatically public. That is new though.

Prior to that (and now if you're 12 or 13), here's the list of serious offenses where the juvenile record can be made public if the judge decides it (at least in PA law). All offenses not listed here means the record is sealed and the request has to be filed to get the identity.
  • Murder
  • Voluntary Manslaughter
  • Aggravated Assault (causing Serious Bodily Injury)
  • Arson (F-1)
  • Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse
  • Rape
  • Robbery (inflicting or threatening Serious Bodily Injury)
  • Robbery of a Motor Vehicle
  • Attempt or conspiracy to commit any of the offenses in this paragraph

The request then goes through a long process of approvals, which can be denied for a long list of various reasons.

So yes, entirely possible he either didn't file the request or it was denied, or the record was sealed or expunged for a variety of reasons. Obviously if the law was that cut and dry, we'd all be lawyers.

Again, that's PA. This thread is nothing if not educational
post #24 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not surprising it has been changed.
There has been a backlash nationwide over the rights of victims and some of these laws have been changed for their sake (to seek closure psychologically from the trauma and/or the right to civil damages from the offender).

post #25 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

There has been a backlash nationwide over the rights of victims and some of these laws have been changed for their sake (to seek closure psychologically from the trauma and/or the right to civil damages from the offender).

Well, it's weighed against the idea that some crimes committed by juveniles shouldn't really dog them for the rest of their lives. Usually if it's something pretty heinous, they're tried as adults anyway.

1st degree murder? Sure, we'd probably want to know the name. Involuntary manslaughter? Probably depends on the circumstances. I don't know if I could call driving along and momentarily being distracted a "heinous" crime. Is it her fault? Sure. Does everyone need to know her name? Maybe not.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #26 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, there has been more of a tendency to try young teens as adults (they grow up so fast!).

In the same vein though, there is a need to protect juveniles to rehabilitate them, and having a "childish" mistake at 11 ruin your entire life by making it public should also be avoided. After all, criminal justice should be about rehabilitation, not punishment (at least IMO for a vast majority of the more minor offenses that clog up our justice system). Sadly every time I visit a prison here and ask what the recidivism rate is, it's always up around 80% or more. System is broken.

BTW, you can still get civil damages from juveniles. It's just conducted between attorneys and judges.

That's enough political stuff for me....
post #27 of 33 Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Involuntary manslaughter? Probably depends on the circumstances. I don't know if I could call driving along and momentarily being distracted a "heinous" crime.

Prior to the accident she had been partying.
When alcohol is involved, it becomes a different matter (which is one factor that made me call B.S.).

post #28 of 33 Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Watched the BD last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was an interesting and unusual take on the parallel universe theory, in that in this instance we could see the parallel ‘us,’ whereas we usually can’t. I was surprised that the girl, Brit Marling, co-wrote it. I also thought she was very good, and quite attractive.

It can be nitpicked as to how this other Earth came into being and its affect on this Earth, as well as that one, but I just went with the premise, and in the end it wasn’t that important because I usually don’t get bent out of shape over the technicalities of sci-fi movies.

I also liked that the sci-fi element came together at the end. Not that it exonerated her from what happened on Earth, but she did sacrifice a dream of hers to hopefully allow the theory to play out, and I believe it did.

That the citizens of the mirror Earth might be identical to those on Earth in every way until the moment they learned of the others' existence. From that point on, the identical people on the different Earths probably began to deviate in small ways, changing their actions. I think when Alex reunited with his family on Earth 2, that altered Rhoda’s existence on Earth 2 and allowed her to become aware of her ‘twin’ and then manifested in front of her on Earth. Or something like that. smile.gif

Regarding her intelligence or lack of: She was a shell of her former self. She was a vibrant, outgoing young woman prior to the accident, and afterward, became this defeated (wanting to work with her hands rather than her mind), shy, introverted, guilt ridden person trying to move forward in life. The relationship between the two helped both move forward.

The kid did go through the windshield. There was a gaping whole, and the passenger side window behind the driver was closed and intact.

Not for everyone, but it really got to me.
post #29 of 33 Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This movie drew me in as well and was one I enjoyed a movie about redemption...
post #30 of 33 Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm way late to the game, but I wanted to throw in on the really enjoyed it side of the scale. I was pretty much completely lost it in the entire time. I love movies with that sort of atmosphere, and I really like Brit Marling a lot. I posted a review of another of the flicks she wrote and starred in a little bit back, and liked that one as well. She has a great, ethereal quality about her that appeals to me.

I don't what all the arguing about the finer points of juvenile law is about. Maybe you missed the bit about ANOTHER EARTH drifting by where everyone has a double? Taking some license with the law would hardly have changed anything important. It's freaking fiction, dudes.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page