post #181 of 493 Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Sure enough, just a lot sooner than I thought it would! Amazon now has it priced at $46.99, down from the original $71.

Wow. Since Amazon has no tax, that now beats my $47.51 B&N price by $0.52. But B&N is shipping it express, whereas Amazon's free Super-Saver would take a week or so. All things come to him or her that waits, so they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 493 Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Wow. Since Amazon has no tax, that now beats my $47.51 B&N price by $0.52. But B&N is shipping it express, whereas Amazon's free Super-Saver would take a week or so. All things come to him or her that waits, so they say.

Ah, but with Amazon Prime it's free 2 day delivery, I'll be watching it Wednesday night.

That is if it ships today, although depending on where it's shipped from I've often received 2-day shipments overnight if it comes from the Reno distribution center.
post #183 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll recoup the $.52 by skipping one senior coffee at McDonald's this week.
post #184 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Thanks for the heads up about Amazon's price reduction. I just ordered my copy of the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition BDs from them. Really looking forward to the extended edition of the movies of the Millennium Trilogy. The shorter version of the first film was good but I thought the second two films of the trilogy felt a little rushed and unclear. I hope the extended versions improve them. I suspect they will.

PS -- I am constantly amazed at what benefits there are to simply paying attention to the neat things my fellow movie nerds here find for me.
post #185 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

ps -- i am constantly amazed at what benefits there are to simply paying attention to the neat things my fellow movie nerds here find for me.

+1
post #186 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I finished TGWTDT extended and started TGTPWF extended last night. I'm partially blinded by my bias towards the originals and very skeptical of the US release regardless of who is at the helm. I really can't think of any US remakes of foreign films that were equal or better than the original. I don't care for the look of the gal playing Lisbeth, she has a over-polished Hollywood vibe IMO. If the reviews are stellar I'll rent it but they have their work cut out for them to impress anyone that has seen and liked the original.

my take exactly. how can you make a classic movie better in a re-make.

neflixis our nemesis
post #187 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Ordered at Amazon....delivered Friday.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #188 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

my take exactly. how can you make a classic movie better in a re-make.

The new version interests me specifically for films #2 and #3. Lower Production values and made-for-TV look shows on the swedish films unfortunately, and makes Dragon Tattoo stand out even more. So I'm curious to see how Fincher will unify the 3 chapters. As for Lisbeth, Rooney Mara looks ok so far, but I have a soft spot for Noomi no matter what ...Seriously though, she was perfect imo so the best that could happen is an equally good performance, but better I don't think so.

...That said I think I'm going to order the extended trilogy very quickly!
post #189 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:

I really can't think of any US remakes of foreign films that were equal or better than the original.

"Better" comes down to subjective preference. To that end, I preferred 'The Departed' to the HK original.

Sanjay
post #190 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I really can't think of any US remakes of foreign films that were equal or better than the original.

The Ring > Ringu
The Departed > Infernal Affairs

That's about it.
post #191 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

The Ring > Ringu
The Departed > Infernal Affairs

That's about it.

Didn't see Ringu or IA but that is a small list.

Let the Right One In > Let Me In
Quarantine > [REC]
La Femme Nikita > The Point of no Return
Tale of Two Sisters > The Uninvited

I know there are many more but I think my frustration is really more with Hollywood just seeming so bankrupt on ideas. I know there is some talent there that does not deserve that blanket statement (Nolan, Coen bros, etc.) but it just seems were are flooded with remakes, reboots or comic book movies.

As far as TGWTDT it is like the French or Japanese remaking The Exorcist or something. It's a movie that has almost no room for improvement as far as I'm concerned. It's the same story being told in English and will probably do well given the director and popularity of the books along with the masses that refuse to watch a movie with subs. I may eat my words on this one but topping the original and the performance of Noomi Rapace is a pretty tall order.

I think I read that Affleck was going to remake the French film Tell No One... yet another example of a film with almost no room for improvement. Them (Ils) is also on the list of films for the US to remake

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #192 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
"Best thing about cover tunes...when you cover a hit song, you're already halfway there" - David Lee Roth

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #193 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

"Best thing about cover tunes...when you cover a hit song, you're already halfway there" - David Lee Roth

No truer words ever spoken....

post #194 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I dunno. I loved the original but there were times I thought it wasn't as moody or dark as it should be. That could be because I saw it too soon after reading the trilogy though...Still, its possible Finchner could provide an interesting take on it, moreso than any other director I can think of off hand. Equaling Rapace's iconic performance I agree is almost unthinkable however. Hadn't heard he wanted the actress more closely to fit the description of the book. In fact the things I have read he seems almost boastfull about how he was going to change things from the novels. Again, it might be because the book was still too fresh in my mind, but I vaguely had misgivings that Rapace was a bit too sympathetic in the first film. Totally won me over in the other two, though. When she goes in the court room in all her glory...whoa! A great moment in cinema history,imo.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #195 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

"Better" comes down to subjective preference. To that end, I preferred 'The Departed' to the HK original.

What!!!!??? OK, your preference.
post #196 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my B&N expected ship date of Dec 6, 2011, has less than 1-1/2 hours Central Time to be fulfilled on the stated date.
post #197 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Them (Ils) is also on the list of films for the US to remake

It's already been made... "The Strangers" is the U.S. remake of "Them" (Ils).

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #198 of 493 Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Still, its possible Finchner could provide an interesting take on it, moreso than any other director I can think of off hand. Equaling Rapace's iconic performance I agree is almost unthinkable however. Hadn't heard he wanted the actress more closely to fit the description of the book. In fact the things I have read he seems almost boastfull about how he was going to change things from the novels.

Fincher is one of those guys who thinks everything he does (see Alien 3) is a masterpiece and the rest of us are schmucks if we don't recognize it.

post #199 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And then there is this:
http://www.miami.com/fincher-david-d...argoes-article

post #200 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Fincher is one of those guys who thinks everything he does (see Alien 3) is a masterpiece and the rest of us are schmucks if we don't recognize it.

Not even Fincher likes Alien3.

But I think he is both underrated and overated as a director. Overrated that people cant see that he has good scripts to work with and that makes a movie good or not. And underrated because they miss the skills he actually has to build suspense.
post #201 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

It's already been made... "The Strangers" is the U.S. remake of "Them" (Ils).

I've heard people suggest that but could have sworn I'd read that it was not. It shares some similarities but lacks some very important elements if that's the case.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #202 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And then there is this:
http://www.miami.com/fincher-david-d...argoes-article

Interesting. I assume its a negative review? Fincher seems in the right to me on this one.

post #203 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Not even Fincher likes Alien3.

But I think he is both underrated and overated as a director. Overrated that people cant see that he has good scripts to work with and that makes a movie good or not. And underrated because they miss the skills he actually has to build suspense.

I've never been able to make up my mind about fincher. Now I have-completely agree with you. Great insight, thanks

post #204 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Wow, talk about total lack of understanding of the man. For the record Alien 3 is hardly what he wanted to make.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #205 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Interesting. I assume its a negative review? Fincher seems in the right to me on this one.

Same here, and let's not forget it was Rudin who pulled the plug on Debney, and rightfully so.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #206 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Agreed.
If Debney doesn't live up to the waiver he signed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Wow, talk about total lack of understanding of the man. For the record Alien 3 is hardly what he wanted to make.

There is always the "Alan Smithee" option.

post #207 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Denby's review: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...i_cinema_denby

(Thankfully no real spoilers here; even those who haven't read the books or haven't seen the original won't read anything that might give away anything important; Fincher's long trailer reveals more than this does. I can understand the decision to ban Denby from future screenings, and I can also understand why Denby thinks his decision to write a decent length review early instead of having it cut to a paragraph if printed after December 13 was justified; after all, he gives it a good review. I side with Rudin and Fincher on this issue, though.)

I suspect there will be fierce Noomi Rapace versus Rooney Mara debates!

Double Dare

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Adventures of Tintin.”
by David Denby December 12, 2011

Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in David Fincher’s new movie.

You can’t take your eyes off Rooney Mara as the notorious Lisbeth Salander, in the American movie version of Stieg Larsson’s “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” (opening December 21st). Slender, sheathed in black leather, with short ebony hair standing up in a tuft, her fingers poking out of black woollen gloves as they skitter across a laptop keyboard, Mara (who played Mark Zuckerberg’s girlfriend at the beginning of “The Social Network”) cuts through scene after scene like a swift, dark blade. Salander is a twenty-four-year-old hacker with many piercings, of herself and of others. She’s both antisocial and intensely sexual—vulnerable and often abused but overequipped to take revenge. She lives in an aura of violence. Salander obviously accounts for a big part of the success of Larsson’s crime novels—both men and women are turned on by her—and Mara makes every scene that she appears in jump. She strips off and climbs right onto Daniel Craig, as Mikael Blomkvist, the investigative journalist who takes Salander on as a partner, and whom she makes her lover. Craig looks a little surprised. In this movie, he is modest, quiet, even rather recessive. It’s Mara’s shot at stardom, and he lets her have it.

Much of the movie is set on a private island controlled by the Vanger clan, a wealthy Swedish industrial family peopled with criminals, perverts, solitaries, exiles, dead Nazis, and a grieving old man, Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer), who has never got over the disappearance of his grandniece, forty years earlier. In one last attempt to find her, he hires Blomkvist, who has been temporarily discredited in a libel suit, and sets him up as an investigator on the island, a place that no American one-per-cent family would ever dream of owning. It’s way up north, windy, snowy, and treacherously beautiful; once you cross the bridge to this enclave, you enter an icy hell. Blomkvist and Salander, warming each other, conduct their investigation from the island, hacking into whatever files they need; they leave only when they have to, with Mara, head down in the wind, tearing around Sweden on a motorcycle like—well, like a bat out of hell. The movie zips ahead, in short, spiky scenes punctuated by skillfully edited montages of digitized photographs and newspaper articles. David Fincher, who directed the picture (working with Steven Zaillian’s screenplay), moves at a much faster pace than he did in “Zodiac,” his 2007 movie about a murder investigation. In “Zodiac,” every time a piece of evidence trembles into view, it quickly recedes again. That movie is an expression of philosophical despair: the truth can never be known. “Dragon Tattoo” says the opposite: it celebrates deduction, high-end detective work—what Edgar Allan Poe called “ratiocination.” Everything can be known if you look long and hard enough, especially if you have no scruples about hacking into people’s bank accounts, e-mails, and business records. Salander is a criminal, but she’s our criminal.

At heart, of course, the material is pulpy and sensational. The Vanger men committed atrocious crimes against women in the past, and Salander, who is a ward of the state, is twice brutalized by a smarmy social worker who controls her money. There are certainly lurid moments, but I wouldn’t say that Fincher exploits the material. When Salander is raped, the scene registers as a horror; it’s prolonged and discomforting. And her revenge, however justified, and however much it may amuse the audience, is another horror. This is a bleak but mesmerizing piece of filmmaking; it offers a glancing, chilled view of a world in which brief moments of loyalty flicker between repeated acts of betrayal.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...#ixzz1frGELs00
post #208 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've heard people suggest that but could have sworn I'd read that it was not. It shares some similarities but lacks some very important elements if that's the case.

I've heard the same, some say it is and some say it isn't... consider this:

Both begin with a statement that the movie is "Based on True Events"

Both are about a group of teenagers (or "Strangers" / or "Them") wearing masks and terrorizing a couple in an isolated home.

If not a remake then it's a twin sibling.

"Ils"
Lucas and Clementine live peacefully in their isolated country house, but one night they wake up to strange noise... they're not alone... and a group of hooded assailants begin to terrorize them throughout the night.

"The Strangers"
After returning from a wedding reception, a couple staying in an isolated vacation house receive a knock on the door in the mid-hours of the night. What ensues is a violent invasion by three strangers, their faces hidden behind masks. The couple find themselves in a violent struggle, in which they go beyond what either of them thought capable in order to survive.

Really doesn't matter if it is a 'official' remake or not, I enjoyed both. It would not surprise me to see a remake of both movies.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #209 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

That sounds more like Shyamalan (omg I spelled it right!) than Fincher if you ask me.

I do think Fincher has an amazing sense of visual, pacing, tension building, well in a word, directing, who always manage to get the best performances from his actors, a guy who truly love filmmaking, committed to his film, with a freudian attention to detail.
post #210 of 493 Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page