Moneyball - starring Brad Pitt and co-written by Aaron Sorkin - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
As my wife (the biggest fan in our household) would say there's nothing like a baseball movie in the middle of winter. We watched a rental last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The film felt a little anti-climatic after the long stretch of wins but it closed off nicely. I didn't know much about the film and (to me) the trailer was a little misleading.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination (I don't watch it or follow it and it generally annoys me). I did enjoy the movie tremendously though.

I didn't know much going in, other than that it was about someone using these new-fangled things called computers to pick players, and was expecting it to be based in the late 80's/early 90's or something. I was surprised to see it was 2002.
post #33 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I am not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination (I don't watch it or follow it and it generally annoys me). I did enjoy the movie tremendously though.

I didn't know much going in, other than that it was about someone using these new-fangled things called computers to pick players, and was expecting it to be based in the late 80's/early 90's or something. I was surprised to see it was 2002.

It's true in all pro sports, but more so in baseball. Which is that the most common approach is to buy the "best" team, which leaves poor teams in the dust and results in insanely huge budgets. The truth is that the most expensive roster has no more chance of fielding a winning team than the least expensive - IF the management knows what it's doing.

In that year, the A's had the same stats as the Yankees and broke the record for most consecutive wins on a fraction of the Yankees' budget. But as Billy Beane was fond of saying: it's the last game of the season that gets remembered, not what happened before.

They weren't so much using computers to choose players as they were using stats. That is: who gets on base the most? They didn't have to hit home runs or even doubles, they just had to get on base by whatever means possible. It's also called "small ball" and it works. Many of the famous power-house hitters don't actually get on base that often, yet they command the biggest paychecks. But if you can get a pitcher to walk you, it's just as good as a hit.
post #34 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Yes, I understand how the game works. I was just pointing out based on my ideas of what the movie was going to be about, that the time period threw me.
post #35 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

^ Yes, I understand how the game works. I was just pointing out based on my ideas of what the movie was going to be about, that the time period threw me.

Same here. Thought it would have been earlier not to mention Pitt's hair looked like he was from an earlier period.

I enjoyed the film very much as well, despite the fact that I just don't really care about baseball.

I liked some of the comments the scouts made regarding confidence or lack of from certain prospects.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #36 of 63 Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I liked some of the comments the scouts made regarding confidence or lack of from certain prospects.

I did get a kick out of that. Especially not wanting a player because his girlfriend was ugly.

Things like that was why I was surprised it was 2002.
post #37 of 63 Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I started to watch it yesterday but it was too late I only saw the first half. What an amazing film. I'm pretty sure this will end up as one of my favorites from last year. Great performances, story, pacing, everything. I like that kind of movies where we can see good actors act, and shine in their roles. I'm probably going to watch it from the start again with my wife tonight.
post #38 of 63 Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Great flick. Probably up there with one of the best from 2011. Pacing, characters, and storyline were great - thought the ending was perfect as well. Not sure how I felt about PSH playing Art Howe, but man, Art Howe must have really loved this movie. Media led us to believe that he was the main reason these guys were winning, yet the movie totally knocks that down.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #39 of 63 Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Regarding the Social Network references above, it's funny cause I still haven't seen it, and I really don't want to, yet I'm a fan of Fincher. It was on TV some days ago so I saw a few scenes, I hate the characters, I have no sympathy for Eisenberg, I'm almost certain I will never enjoy that movie. Do I need to mention that I profoundly hate facebook too? And yes I know it's not 'a movie about facebook'... I just don't care about these people, whether it's in real life or in a movie... Anyways... Back to Moneyball, I'm also curious to see Hill's performance, apparently excellent as well. Up until now I was putting him in the same category as another Seth Rogen, sort of. From what I've read about the movie, I'm glad I was wrong.

I've head the same "baggage's" before I saw The Social Network, and ended up liking it. I actually regarded Hill even lower the Rogen, and he was one of the reason I didn't have any interest to see this film. It is on my list now.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #40 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Watched this Saturday night on BD. Little to add except to agree with all the positive comments. Another really great movie and story from last year. The past couple of years have been excellent for movie watching, IMO.

Pitt gets better and better. My wife said his acting is a lot like Robert Redford as he aged.

PSH standing in the office with his hands tucked into his waist had me laughing because so many managers do exactly that. He also looked the part and reminded me of Don Zimmer when Don was younger and 100+ pounds lighter.
post #41 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Watched this Saturday night on BD. Little to add except to agree with all the positive comments. Another really great movie and story from last year. The past couple of years have been excellent for movie watching, IMO.

Pitt gets better and better. My wife said his acting is a lot like Robert Redford as he aged.

PSH standing in the office with his hands tucked into his waist had me laughing because so many managers do exactly that. He also looked the part and reminded me of Don Zimmer when Don was younger and 100+ pounds lighter.

Ah crap....do I HAVE to put this in my queue?
Modern baseball, with all its scandals, disgusts me beyond the beyond.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #42 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Might not be the film for you lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #43 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Well, this one centers on a guy who seems to genuinely love the game, and who in real life gave a lot of cast off players a second shot.

It does poke at baseball purists who cite old-fashioned stats and traits of ballplayers as the essence of the sport.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #44 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 232
It was an ok movie. The first half was very good and I thought it lagged a bit after that. BP was good and did remind me of Robert Redford but did he HAVE to be eating all the time? After a while we were more cracking up on the gimmick of him eating rather than the movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

It was against the way the baseball gods said it should be done, so I think you would like it, especially the way he pissed them off.
post #46 of 63 Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

especially the way he pissed them off.

My favorite scene was the one between Pitt and Hoffman regarding the first baseman.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Billy Beane: You can't start Peña at first tonight. You'll have to start Hatteberg.
Art Howe: Yeah, I don't want to go fifteen rounds, Billy. The lineup card is mine, and that's all.
Billy Beane: That lineup card is definitely yours. I'm just saying you can't start Peña at first.
Billy Beane: Well, I am starting him at first.
Billy Beane: I don't think so. He plays for Detroit now.
Art Howe: You *traded* Peña?
Billy Beane: Yeah. And Menechino, Hiljus, Tam are all being sent down.
Art Howe: You are outside your mind.
Billy Beane: Yeah. Cuckoo.
Jeremy Giambi: [knocking on door] You wanted to see me?
Billy Beane: Yeah, Jeremy, grab a seat.
[Jeremy sits down]
Billy Beane: Jeremy, you've been traded to the Phillies. This is Ed Wade's number. He's a good guy, he's the GM. He's expecting your call. Buddy will help you with the plane flight. You're a good ballplayer, Jeremy, and we wish you the best.
[Jeremy sighs, and exits]
Billy Beane: Jeremy's gone, too.

post #47 of 63 Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
This movie comes out next month over here I'm looking forward to watch it. I've heard good things about it.

Frank

post #48 of 63 Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

My favorite scene was the one between Pitt and Hoffman regarding the first baseman.

Spoiler  
Billy Beane: You can't start Peña at first tonight. You'll have to start Hatteberg.
Art Howe: Yeah, I don't want to go fifteen rounds, Billy. The lineup card is mine, and that's all.
Billy Beane: That lineup card is definitely yours. I'm just saying you can't start Peña at first.
Billy Beane: Well, I am starting him at first.
Billy Beane: I don't think so. He plays for Detroit now.
Art Howe: You *traded* Peña?
Billy Beane: Yeah. And Menechino, Hiljus, Tam are all being sent down.
Art Howe: You are outside your mind.
Billy Beane: Yeah. Cuckoo.
Jeremy Giambi: [knocking on door] You wanted to see me?
Billy Beane: Yeah, Jeremy, grab a seat.
[Jeremy sits down]
Billy Beane: Jeremy, you've been traded to the Phillies. This is Ed Wade's number. He's a good guy, he's the GM. He's expecting your call. Buddy will help you with the plane flight. You're a good ballplayer, Jeremy, and we wish you the best.
[Jeremy sighs, and exits]
Billy Beane: Jeremy's gone, too.

hehe my favorite too My only regret is that Hoffman should have had more screen time in the film...
post #49 of 63 Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing about the baseball establishment is that they're VERY reluctant to go against what was done since the dawn of the "live ball" era (around the time Babe Ruth got his start.) So innovations that other sports adopted in the 90s took about a decade or two to roll around. That's what all those scenes with Beane butting against the scouts and his manager were for.

Ironically, the principles of Moneyball were the norm in the "dead ball" era, where dudes like Ty Cobb and Nap Lajoie, who didn't hit a huge number of home runs but got on base a LOT, ruled the roost. Then Ruth came along and "HOMERS ARE NEET!" and that was that for the next eight decades, with a few exceptions here and there (60s Dodgers, etc., who did it more because the stadium was more conducive to it rather than any payroll concerns.)

post #50 of 63 Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Loved this film, and I know nothing about baseball, some of the lingo's just went over my head but still it was easy to follow. Clearly this movie was made for non fans as well, and it succeeded IMO.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #51 of 63 Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Loved this film, and I know nothing about baseball, some of the lingo's just went over my head but still it was easy to follow. Clearly this movie was made for non fans as well, and it succeeded IMO.

That's good as i have no idea about baseball. Its definitely not popular in our state.

Frank

post #52 of 63 Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM
CIH USER

Watched this last night I enjoyed it very much. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill did an excellent job.

Frank

post #53 of 63 Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
This was surprisingly good. Amazing chemistry between Hill and Pitt (who IS staring to remind me of Robert Redford, as another poster pointed out).

WARRIORS is the best sports film I have seen since ROCKY, but this is a worthy film, worth seeing.

The Blu Ray has actual film grain. I thought that was illegal!

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #54 of 63 Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

This was surprisingly good. Amazing chemistry between Hill and Pitt (who IS staring to remind me of Robert Redford, as another poster pointed out).

That is quite true.

Frank

post #55 of 63 Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
We were watching the Blu Ray of Out of Africa not too long ago and I mentioned to my girlfriend how much Redford and Pitt resemble each other in Pitt's older age.

Looking forward to purchasing Moneyball on Blu Ray. Really enjoyed it in theatres last year.

David Budo
post #56 of 63 Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That is quite true.

Second it. And it even had a "Redford film" kind of feel to it. Watched it last night as well. Wasn't quite what I expected but that's not necessarily a bad thing. What was really good about this movie (and the performances) is how deep the baseball goes. As a baseball guy, I picked up on so many very real nuances (like Beane's conversation with David Justice in the batting cage) that really pinpointed personal aspects of the business side of the game. This movie is filled with this from beginning to end. Even considering the accolades this movie (and actors) has received, this is still a very underrated achievement.
post #57 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
EC
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Just caught this and yes it is a good film not great. I heard so many accolades about this film, I was expecting to be blown away which I wasn't. Unfortunately, the bar/bias was set too high before watching this. They did use real footage at times but I think they should have used more. In the conclusion they mention how the Red Sox won and how Billy Beane is still the GM, they should also mention how Oakland is doing since.

Eric Chong

post #58 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I just watched this one last week. I hadn't read any of the comments regarding Robert Redford, so I wasn't influenced by the discussion but immediately thought the same thing, that he's kind of become Robert Redford when Redford was that age.

Anyway, the movie is excellent, and I'm not into sports at all. And yeh, Hill does an excellent job. His character is very much the silent type, but he does it well. And it also proves that you can have a compelling story without a love story involved (which is often just gratuitously grafted on if the story won't naturally contain one because so many people believer every movie has to have one.)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #59 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was first attracted to this movie to the premise that, hey even the C-players have their places and fill a role, that's up-lifting, then as the movie progresses, am thinking, so now players are treated as statistics to be traded like commodities? down!, then at the end I saw the DVD extra commentaries that says, now that everybody knows the trick, it no longer benefit the poor teams anymore! down^2

I'd like the interviewer to ask Billy, so... any regrets not taking the 11 million?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #60 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

, they should also mention how Oakland is doing since.

They did in a way. They said he's still chasing that championship, and by inference, so is Oakland. I think that's actually a strong statement to make, rather than saying that Oakland has had a couple of division titles since, but otherwise has hovered around .500 most years.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page