Moneyball - starring Brad Pitt and co-written by Aaron Sorkin - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

I was first attracted to this movie to the premise that, hey even the C-players have their places and fill a role, that's up-lifting, then as the movie progresses, am thinking, so now players are treated as statistics to be traded like commodities? down!, then at the end I saw the DVD extra commentaries that says, now that everybody knows the trick, it no longer benefit the poor teams anymore! down^2

You know what I found refreshing about all that? It wasn't a formulaic feel-good sports movie that I've watched time and time again. It's gotten to the point where I can't watch those anymore. (Case in point, "Miracle" with Kurt Russell is on TV, and I just watched the opening scene where he's given some ragtag players and has to teach them a new way to win. Wow, how many movies is that in? Now Miracle has some other things worth watching, but it still works the formula.)

I'm not saying every sports movie has to be a downer (and I don't think this one was), but I do like to be surprised, and if everything from the trailer to the story beats telegraphs the end triumph, it becomes a retread to me.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 10
Very good movie. I think that it really shines a light on how major league baseball has progressed over the years.
post #63 of 63 Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
I regretted not seeing it after Brad’s nomination – I am not what you would call a sports fan particularly and it turned me off seeing it. I heard it mentioned that it’s not about sports. Well, it IS about sports, but yes – it’s not about the playing of the game on the field as much as the behind the scenes management, etc. It was interesting to see the story of combatting the big money in sports with a smarter approach to economizing performance for the dollar.

Otherwise, I noticed what I first considered a noisy picture and after a quick Google it I confirmed others seeing it too – then realized I had my ‘detail clarity’ or whatever cranked up too high and the film grain looked like noise as a result. Turned it down and it looked really nice actually. Just FYI if you see that – something to check.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page