Pixar's latest -- "Brave" - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
As I posted elsewhere I saw this last Saturday mainly for the Dolby Atmos experience. The 3D animation and sound were excellent however the story was a big disappointment. The heroine (if one can call her that) came off as a spoiled teenager and didn't redeem herself until the final act - this is not a spoiler believe me. I was hoping for something closer to Mulan but in Brave I couldn't connect with any of the characters which is a big flaw in any movie. If you're a 3D and sound enthusiast then go see this, if not, wait for the Blu-ray rental. If I had to rank this in the Pixar library it would be at the bottom. I know I'm an outlier since it's enjoying 84% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes but I'm more in line with the critics that didn't enjoy it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

As I posted elsewhere I saw this last Saturday mainly for the Dolby Atmos experience. The 3D animation and sound were excellent however the story was a big disappointment. The heroine (if one can call her that) came off as a spoiled teenager and didn't redeem herself until the final act - this is not a spoiler believe me. I was hoping for something closer to Mulan but in Brave I couldn't connect with any of the characters which is a big flaw in any movie. If you're a 3D and sound enthusiast then go see this, if not, wait for the Blu-ray rental. If I had to rank this in the Pixar library it would be at the bottom. I know I'm an outlier since it's enjoying 84% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes but I'm more in line with the critics that didn't enjoy it.

I would think anyone with daughters, especially teenage daughters as I do, would get something extra from this. That said, I can't really disagree with what you said. It was pretty pedestrian and not nearly as thrilling as other Pixars or HTTYD which it bore visual similarities to. The ending will probably make up for alot and audiences will be happy when they leave. 13 movie premieres in a row Pixar has led the box office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I would think anyone with daughters, especially teenage daughters as I do, would get something extra from this. That said, I can't really disagree with you. It was pretty pedestrian and not nearly as thrilling as other Pixars or HTTYD which it bore visual similarities to. The ending will probably make up for alot and audiences will be happy when they leave. 13 movie premieres in a row Pixar has led the box office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good or bad, I promised my son that I would take him to see it. We'll see where it ranks in the Pixar library.
post #35 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I wonder if Karmically Pixar sold its soul by making a sequel to Cars in order to facilitate the construction of an environment for Disney's California Adventure. This is not as big a disaster as Cars 2 but it's at the bottom of the Pixar canon. It looked as if it started to be a different picture from what it ended up as being. The groupthink has served Pixar well for most of its film product, but something went wrong this time.

Good 3-D, though.

CW Hinkle
post #36 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I wonder if Karmically Pixar sold its soul by making a sequel to Cars in order to facilitate the construction of an environment for Disney's California Adventure. This is not as big a disaster as Cars 2 but it's at the bottom of the Pixar canon. It looked as if it started to be a different picture from what it ended up as being. The groupthink has served Pixar well for most of its film product, but something went wrong this time.
Good 3-D, though.

You know I had some similar thoughts around this as well. I personally thought that Toy Story 2 aside (just from the perspective of capitalizing off the original), the only Pixar film that made the most sense of a sequel was The Incredibles. But in concept, "where do you go with a California Adventure?" I guess is the question. And Brave, I don't know, I just thought it was an odd concept, kind of like Mulan. There just seems to be so many other directions that you could take an adventure story with a heroine that are easier to relate to. And correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this the only period presentation from Pixar? All others are modern stories, no?
post #37 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Saw this today. Very good story, even while not Pixar's best. But the animation in this is probably the most technically-marvelous anyone has yet produced. It is amazing what they have accomplished. Saw it with two children and two other adults; all of them were females, as was the writer and director of "Brave." The kids laughed often; the adults cried. I suppose the story worked as intended.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #38 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Saw it with two children and two other adults; all of them were females, as was the writer and director of "Brave." The kids laughed often; the adults cried. I suppose the story worked as intended.
Probably going to see this one next week while on vacation. I won't cry, though, since I workout.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #39 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Have fun with this article rolleyes.gif:

http://theweek.com/article/index/229891/is-braves-heroine-gay

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #40 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Probably going to see this one next week while on vacation. I won't cry, though, since I workout.

Lol biggrin.gif

Frank

post #41 of 49 Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Have fun with this article rolleyes.gif:

http://theweek.com/article/index/229891/is-braves-heroine-gay
Silly, and full of clichéd stereotypes. For example: the author believes the heroine of 'Brave' is gay because she "hates the prospect of marriage". Really? Most gay people I know want to get married. I wonder if the author knows who it is that is protesting gay marriage bans in states that have them.

Sanjay
post #42 of 49 Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

It looked as if it started to be a different picture from what it ended up as being.

That's exactly what happened. The movie was originally titled 'The Bear and the Bow' and was to be solely directed by Brenda Chapman (The Prince of Egypt). During production, the Pixar brass didn't like what she was doing, so they fired her and brought in two new directors to rework the material. Chapman still has a co-director credit for the amount of work she put in, but she had no involvement with the final direction that the film took.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #43 of 49 Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I kept thininkg it was almost a take on Brother Bear but for girls.
It's not bad just seemed disjointed.

post #44 of 49 Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The movie was originally titled 'The Bear and the Bow'

All the bear business was what I found lacking. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I can see the idea of showing mother-daughter conflict, and making bears sympathetic might persuade future consumers of bear gall bladders and paws that this wholesale rush to make them extinct is not a very moral idea... But, to me anyhow, once that transformation occurs the picture turns into just standard Disney forced whimsey and just lies there. It was like chunks of Goblet of Fire grafted onto DIsney's Robin Hood and/or Sword in the Stone and/or... well, take your pick.

CW Hinkle
post #45 of 49 Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM
CIH USER

Going in to watch this now, unfortunaley no Dolby Atmos here.

Frank

Frank

post #46 of 49 Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 AM
CIH USER

Watched this today I really enjoyed it. Definitely will be added to my collection.

Frank

Frank

post #47 of 49 Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Another Pixar that Im sure ill end up adding to my collection.

This will add up to my 3D movie collection for my LG 3D TV.
post #48 of 49 Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The trailers had me very excited for Brave. I came away somewhat disappointed, because I was expecting great, and I got good. Still head and shoulders above most animated kids fare, but I was surprised at how much fish out of water and conventional gag type humor it relied on. All of the 'My Mom the Bear" segments didn't feel like Pixar to me.

post #49 of 49 Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
+1.

Glad I missed the lightning deal on a blind buy. It's kind of Pixar animation with Disney Studio writing the stories. The fish and water scene were classic Pixar goodness and brilliance in their use of technology, while the story was weak.

It would be better for my wife and daughter watching this one. The PQ is top notch but I'm not buying this one.

What happened to the creative talents in storytelling?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page