Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is exactly the kind of movie my wife and both like and our expectations were high.

Neither of us liked it. I don't need guns/explosions/breasts/car chases/or any action at all to like a movie, but for us, this was a 2 hours sleeping pill. Perhaps we just weren't smart enough to follow and "get it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Seriously though, one of the things I like in a movie like TTSS is the 'old-school-slow-paced spy movie' kind of vibe. It's indeed not a movie I would rewatch everyday, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Same here.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #33 of 46 Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I didn't dislike it. But if I hadn't seen the miniseries version, I could not have followed the plot, which was just too intricate for a two hour movie.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #34 of 46 Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
What a letdown. I knew I shouldn't have had my hopes so high after that awesome trailer. It was just so dull and lifeless until the last 30 minutes or so, by then I had to force myself to care. And it went out with a fizzle, not a bang.

That said, it wasn't for lack of effort. The acting was near-perfect, and the aesthetic and cinematography was excellent. Also, it had some of the most thoughtful visual story-telling I've seen in awhile. So many layers of the plot being chipped away in each shot, it was really impressive actually. I just wish it had been more interesting and better-paced. I recognize that it is a "good film", but it just didn't work for me.
post #35 of 46 Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Loved the photography and the look of the film, but holy sh*t, was I bored to tears! Not in a million years did I expect this film to be dull. Suspense without action is possible, but not here. It was just.... boring.

Just my opinion.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 46 Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just watched this over the weekend. I was also disappointed. Great cast, of course. Interesting story to work with. But the way things were presented in the film just never generated real interest. When we learned what we ultimately learned, I felt...nothing. So, that guy was the guy...so what?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #37 of 46 Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
To me this film continued the current trend among small films (though this movie wasn't small) of barely including the audience in on the story! I haven't read the book and I'm sure that would have helped but it didn't seem like the filmmaker cared to give the viewer enough to fully follow the plot! Disappointed.

Robert Clark
post #38 of 46 Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As I posted to the other Tinker, Tailor thread, I saw the movie and loved it. I'm not sure I'm an objective observer, though. John Le Carre's George Smiley is one of my all time favorite literary characters and I thought Gary Oldman's performance as Smiley was just about perfect. As much as I loved the BBC miniseries of Tinker, Tailor, starring Alec Guinness, I thought the film was its equal. I was also gratified that the 127 minute film managed to tell the story as clearly as it did. Highly recommended! 10 Stars out of 10.

Will be watching it this Tuesday gwsat. Trailer looks good.

Frank

post #39 of 46 Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
I'm with the majority opinion here. It will require me to watch again just to be able to follow the details better.

At the end, I couldn't help saying to myself, this movie is just British cuisine... (I suppose you all know what that means).
post #40 of 46 Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Watched this last night, the wife deserted me after 1/2 hour. Had the subtitles on to catch any clues in the story but by the end I realized it didn't matter. Was looking at the critic reviews (83% approval) on Rotten Tomatoes this morning and can't believe we watched the same movie. The cast was great but the story was disjointed and the conclusion flat. I don't remember the Cold War being so uninteresting.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #41 of 46 Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I concur with most people here. I had my expectations really high, and was disappointed. The complete lack of character development left me uncaring about anything or anyone in the movie.. So much so that I was kindof dozing off towards the end. I am still unsure about any motivations or anything.

Oh well. I was expecting to come here to this thread and see a lot of high-praise for it. Glad I'm not alone. I feel like maybe if I gave it a second watch, maybe I'd appreciate it more, but I don't really have a desire to.
post #42 of 46 Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I enjoyed the movie, it does however need your full attention, so its not something you just watch after a hard day at work.
post #43 of 46 Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I am still unsure about any motivations or anything.
Actually there is a scene towards the end which the culprit who got caught tells why. It's short but it's there. I had to watch (disc) twice to follow the plot (maybe due to their accents?).
This movie is as bland as English food. biggrin.gif
post #44 of 46 Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A lengthy article about him in today's NYTs mentions le Carre's sons may be working on a remake of Smiley's People. Prefer an updated 5-part TV series myself rather than a so-so production similar to the latest Tinker Tailor. -- John
post #45 of 46 Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

A lengthy article about him in today's NYTs mentions le Carre's sons may be working on a remake of Smiley's People. Prefer an updated 5-part TV series myself rather than a so-so production similar to the latest Tinker Tailor. -- John

Thanks for the link! I ate up the article like a gourmet meal. le Carre's virulent pacifism and concomitant detestation of American and British foreign policy makes me impatient with him personally but does not diminish my high regard for his talent. I had to laugh when le Carre said how disappointed he had been with the Obama administration's continuation of Bush 43's foreign policy. I really hope the last book in the Karla Trilogy gets made, again starring Gary Oldman as George Smiley.
post #46 of 46 Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I somehow never commented on this one. I loved it. I've watched it a few times since it came to Netflix. It's full of subtlety and you really do have to pay attention. There's a lot going on in the details that would be easy to miss and leave you confused as to who's doing what to whom.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page