John Carter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 544 Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes John Carter-a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

First trailer released:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 544 Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Liked: 44
John Carter (character)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_(character)
post #3 of 544 Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 569
One of the comments from YouTube:

"Hollywood, take note: This is how you make a movie trailer. When every other trailer has loud rock/rap music, fast cuts & hardly any information about the film, a trailer that is calm, isn't deceiving & doesn't treat the audience like morons will stick out in peoples' minds & generate lots of interest."

Loved reading the books when I was in my late teens. So ready to see this film. After the longest development period of any movie (80 years - no joke), I hope the results are worth it.

Sanjay
post #4 of 544 Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I have to say, I'm totally underwhelmed and uninterested in this. Never read the books, so I have no baggage one way or the other.

This looks cheap and by the numbers. Mars looks like the American southwest. Sometimes it looks like Conan the Barbarian, sometimes it looks like Cowboys and Aliens.

Maybe it will be good, but right now I can't muster any enthusiasm at all.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #5 of 544 Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
It's been 40 years since I picked up a JC or ERB novel. I loved John Carter as a teenager and read most if not all of the ERB serieses, Barsoom, Tarzan, Pellucidar, etc. While they were saturday matinee serial material with little depth, they were ripping yarns. Andrew Stanton is probably a better storyteller than ERB, so I have hopes for this, but it's Disney. It won't go all Conan on us. JC was the greatest swordsman on the planet, stronger than any redman and maybe some of the green Tharks, faster and could leap (as shown) long distances. Basically, he could skip along the surface at tremendous speed and distance.

I guess we'll have to see how it turns out. Most of the stories featured Dejah Thoris getting kidnapped and JC mowing down hordes to get her back and suffering multiple setbacks along the way...as I recall.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #6 of 544 Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Liked: 14
I still own the entire set of John Carter books I bought while in high school. Yes, this adaptation will probably stink, but I will definitely be watching it regardless.
post #7 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Wow, that looks astoundingly awful.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Wow, that looks astoundingly awful.

Yeah, I gotta concur.

After all those years of "development," we end up with a trailer like this...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #9 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
ERB is great fare for teenagers. But if you did not read it in your teens, it is too late. There never has been a good adaptation of any ERB story other than Tarzan. Even the various Tarzan movies were strictly popcorn fare.

Let it be clearly understood, this is NOT science fiction. ERB never actually wrote any science fiction, he didn't have the science background. This is a fantasy story and not a very consistent or believable one. The Martians have anti-gravity, rayguns, atmosphere plants that produce the air they breathe, and ride animals for transportation and fight with swords. (I mean if I were one of the dozen or so martians that John Carter was simultaneously sword-fighting to death, I would take several steps back, pull out my raygun, and put a third eye in the middle of his forehead.)

I tried to finish the odd Pellucidar or Venus story not in my local library when I went to college, but it was too late, I had outgrown them.

If Disney does this right, they won't alter the story in any way to broaden the appeal for adult audience members. This is at heart a child's fantasy world, perfect for 1930's to 1980's. But I fear that today's kids who have already consumed video games will be bored.

Now, having said that, What's up with Dejah Thoris? She's supposed to be a BABE, not somebody with bad skin and sagging everything!

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #10 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

ERB is great fare for teenagers. But if you did not read it in your teens, it is too late. There never has been a good adaptation of any ERB story other than Tarzan. Even the various Tarzan movies were strictly popcorn fare.

Let it be clearly understood, this is NOT science fiction. ERB never actually wrote any science fiction, he didn't have the science background. This is a fantasy story and not a very consistent or believable one. The Martians have anti-gravity, rayguns, atmosphere plants that produce the air they breathe, and ride animals for transportation and fight with swords. (I mean if I were one of the dozen or so martians that John Carter was simultaneously sword-fighting to death, I would take several steps back, pull out my raygun, and put a third eye in the middle of his forehead.)

I tried to finish the odd Pellucidar or Venus story not in my local library when I went to college, but it was too late, I had outgrown them.

If Disney does this right, they won't alter the story in any way to broaden the appeal for adult audience members. This is at heart a child's fantasy world, perfect for 1930's to 1980's. But I fear that today's kids who have already consumed video games will be bored.

Now, having said that, What's up with Dejah Thoris? She's supposed to be a BABE, not somebody with bad skin and sagging everything!

She didn't look bad as Wolverine's love interest...she's wearing too many clothes though.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #11 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it will be bad, but Andrew Stanton can really tell a story. He also remarked on the trailer, that less is more. They really aren't going to give us money shots, but just tease. Must have noticed the GL campaign.

post #12 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

They really aren't going to give us money shots, but just tease. Must have noticed the GL campaign.

I think the 'less is more' approach to trailers was typical of Pixar well before the GL campaign drove the point home. JC is unofficially thought of as Pixar's first live action film; Stanton says he is "on loan to Disney" because they didn't want to have a PG-13 film released under the family friendly Pixar banner.
Quote:

Andrew Stanton can really tell a story.

Indeed. Considering he's only directed animation (Bug's Live, Finding Nemo, Wall-E), it will be interesting to see how well Stanton handles live action for the first time (as it will with Brad Bird and M:I:4).

Sanjay
post #13 of 544 Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I would be in to this but JC's sword arm is way too short in the trailer. I hope it is fixed for the movie.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14 of 544 Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

For reference, the first ERB novel in the "Barsoom" series is titled A Princess of Mars. John Carter of Mars is actually the 11th and final novel.

ERB thought he was writing adult fantasy, although he was mistaken about that (or possibly his prose got censored). For example, in the second novel (The Gods of Mars), we meet yet another princess of Helium, Thuvia. When introduced in chapter 4, she is entirely naked ("As she was entirely unadorned I could not even guess her station in life, though it was evident that she was either a prisoner or slave in her present environment.").

ERB first made it clear that she was a sex slave ("plaything of the priests of Issus", who were "Green Men" with four arms) and then magicly she had her virginity restored in novel #4 (Thuvia, Maid of Mars). A lack of continuity was in fact a common thread throughout all of ERB's stories, he had no patience for editors and never revised anything, producing only a single draft on a typewriter as if still a newspaper reporter.

For those of you who would like to catch up, the first five of the Barsoom novels are online here: http://www.erbzine.com/mag8/0889.html ...along with many of his other works including the complete "Tarzan". They are short reads of often lurid prose, and would be "short novels" by modern standards, although many ERB works when published were on glossy paper with B&W illustrations.

Gary McCoy

post #15 of 544 Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Let it be clearly understood, this is NOT science fiction. ERB never actually wrote any science fiction, he didn't have the science background. This is a fantasy story and not a very consistent or believable one. The Martians have anti-gravity, rayguns, atmosphere plants that produce the air they breathe, and ride animals for transportation and fight with swords.

I mean, I get that, but there's a pretty big disconnect when making a big-buget sci-fi movie with what appears to be a serious tone out of a cheesy kids' story. The two just don't mesh. The project either needs to go totally in the direction of camp, or needs to update the concept and get rid of the cheese.

Just the fact that this was so obviously shot in the American Southwest in locations made famous in countless Westerns is a really, really big problem. I'm sure you could try to justify that by saying that Stanton is paying homage to cheesy movie serials of the '40s or something, but if that's really what he's going for, it's not coming across in the trailer at all.

I think this would have been better served to do it totally in animation. The decision to make it live action was a serious mistake, IMO.

Also, I've seen my share of Friday Night Lights, and Taylor Kitsch is a pretty lousy actor.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16 of 544 Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, all I can say is that these were indeed ripping good yarns, as Ron said earlier. They were however, sloppily written and came along with a very high threshold for that vital "suspension of disbelief" that allows one to immerse oneself into any story.

For my money, the Barsoom tales were not even the best ERB fantasy. I much preferred the Venus Series, with "Carson of Venus" my alltime favorite.

I also think that many decades later, Prof. John Lange of Columbia University (aka John Norman) did ERB better than ERB in his Gor novels, which number 29 so far. These were basicly adult BDSM fantasy, but very much in the style of ERB, but written for modern audiences.

Gary McCoy

post #17 of 544 Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, all I can say is that these were indeed ripping good yarns, as Ron said earlier. They were however, sloppily written and came along with a very high threshold for that vital "suspension of disbelief" that allows one to immerse oneself into any story.

For my money, the Barsoom tales were not even the best ERB fantasy. I much preferred the Venus Series, with "Carson of Venus" my alltime favorite.

I also think that many decades later, Prof. John Lange of Columbia University (aka John Norman) did ERB better than ERB in his Gor novels, which number 29 so far. These were basicly adult BDSM fantasy, but very much in the style of ERB, but written for modern audiences.

I think I was pre-teen when I was introduced to John Carter as a comic book. I was 14 when I first read Conan, then shortly thereafter read all the Barsoom stories. At the same time I was reading LOTR and the first Gor books. I think Nomads of Gor came out when I was 18. Anyway, I was well grounded in pulp fiction and enjoyed it. If the film makes me nostalgic for those days, then I'll suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.

In reference to the Gor books, the first 4 were excellent, though in 4 he started getting more and more bent. There were some later gems as well, though I don't think I read must past the 10th or 11th. By that time, Norman wasn't getting published by Ballantine any longer and almost never had shelf space. I reread the ones I liked several times. As Gary said, they took ERBs outline and provided depth, were much better written and were/are excellent adventure fantasy. They'd never make it to film in our PC world. Norman became obsessed with the nature of primitive male and female archetypes and how "true love" only became possible after shifting dominance and submissive paradigms are shared between sexes. Meaning once the partners had endured utter degradation and discovered their true natures, could they be truly human. Interesting concept intellectually, but ultimately another teenage fantasy, though well thought out in a "knotty" fashion.

post #18 of 544 Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

This is shaping up to be a HUGE flop, reportedly the budget has ballooned to over $300 million.
post #19 of 544 Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

This is shaping up to be a HUGE flop, reportedly the budget has ballooned to over $300 million.

Wow, there is a huge disconnect in Hollywood. You hear about smart scripts that go nowhere and now this...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #20 of 544 Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Wow, there is a huge disconnect in Hollywood. You hear about smart scripts that go nowhere and now this...

Between this and The Lone Ranger budget being over $250 million (before it was halted), Disney is in position to spend $600 million or so on two movies that not many people will care about.
post #21 of 544 Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

post #22 of 544 Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Needs to earn $700 million to get a sequel.

Good luck with that.
Not even the best of Disney's marketing division can reach that number.

post #23 of 544 Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Liked: 44
post #24 of 544 Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ILM?
Has a similiar look to the SW Prequels...

post #25 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The previews for this movie are some of the least inspiring I've ever seen, and it seems to me from watching them that only people who have been waiting 40+ years for the book(s) to be made into a movie are going to be interested in this. John Carter is not part of today's mythology like the Marvel and DC Comics heroes are. It's way too late to get people interested in John Carter. I don't think ERB's books have the readership they had in the 1960s when Ace and Ballantine were publishing them hand over fist.
post #26 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

She didn't look bad as Wolverine's love interest...she's wearing too many clothes though.

Need it to be more like this A Princess of Mars cover by the famous graphic artist Frank Frazetta.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #27 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

The previews for this movie are some of the least inspiring I've ever seen, and it seems to me from watching them that only people who have been waiting 40+ years for the book(s) to be made into a movie are going to be interested in this. John Carter is not part of today's mythology like the Marvel and DC Comics heroes are. It's way too late to get people interested in John Carter. I don't think ERB's books have the readership they had in the 1960s when Ace and Ballantine were publishing them hand over fist.

Agreed, this movie is 40 years too late.

post #28 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would they not put "Of Mars" in the title to establish the premise/setting? The landscape in the trailer looks nothing like Mars as most would envision it, and the title "John Carter" sounds like a period piece about Victorian England or something.

Seems like a probable disaster unless the story is executed really well and hits a chord with people.
post #29 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed, this movie is 40 years too late.

And $500 million over budget.
post #30 of 544 Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And $500 million over budget.

REALLY?????

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page