DRIVE - new film from Nicolas Winding Refn - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 143 Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New action thriller starring Ryan Gosling, Albert Brooks, Ron Perlman, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, and Christina Hendricks. This film had massively positive reviews/praise coming out of Cannes this year, and Refn won best director.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Now that looks like my kind of flick! When does it come out?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 143 Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

IMDb says Sept 16th.
post #4 of 143 Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I am seeing a screening of this on Monday, and rumor is the director will be there for a Q&A. I'm pretty excited!

You guys need to watch the trailer or something because this film looks awesome!
post #5 of 143 Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Even though I arrived an hour and a half early, the screening sold out less than 10 minutes before I arrived. And the director was there.

They said they turned away over 100 people at least.
post #6 of 143 Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Even though I arrived an hour and a half early, the screening sold out less than 10 minutes before I arrived. And the director was there.

That is a complete bummer....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 143 Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 328
That sucks, but I thought "screenings" were by invitation - no competing for tickets/seats.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #8 of 143 Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

That sucks, but I thought "screenings" were by invitation - no competing for tickets/seats.

larry

Invites are sent out to the mailing list, but seats are not guaranteed. First come, first serve.
post #9 of 143 Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Not bad I like it.

Frank
post #10 of 143 Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

post #11 of 143 Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

GUYS, SERIOUSLY, get excited about this film already! lol

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/rev...view-drive.php

Refn and cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel deliver an immersive vision of Los Angeles that mixes noir with eighties neon and long stretches of beautifully shot calm with sudden shifts into slow-motion violence. It’s unsettling and visceral, and it’s impossible to look away.
post #12 of 143 Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I'm seeing this FO SHO! Best trailer of the year so far. Even the simple font for the title is perfect.

Looks like there's 2 posters out, but this one is the money:

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #13 of 143 Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110919988

I mentioned CGI earlier. "Drive" seems to have little of it. Most of the stunt driving looks real to me, with cars of weight and heft, rather than animated impossible fantasies. The entire film, in fact, seems much more real than the usual action-crime-chase concoctions we've grown tired of. Here is a movie with respect for writing, acting and craft. It has respect for knowledgable moviegoers. There were moments when I was reminded of "Bullitt," which was so much better than the films it inspired. The key thing you want to feel, during a chase scene, is involvement in the purpose of the chase. You have to care. Too often we're simply witnessing technology.
post #14 of 143 Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Loved it. 80's hardcore action with great acting & character development. The ultraviolence took me by surprise. Vibe, look and feel were on point. Cool framing, angles, slo-mo's, etc. Wicked soundtrack too. There's a few scenes that had me on the edge of my seat and you could hear a pin drop in the theater. YES!

Easily my favorite movie of the year and my wife liked it too (shocking).

post #15 of 143 Old 09-17-2011, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Over the past few months this has become my most anticipated film of 2011 post Harry Potter. I was so disappointed to miss out on the screening last month.
post #16 of 143 Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome! Over the past few months this has become my most anticipated film of 2011 post Harry Potter. I was so disappointed to miss out on the screening last month.

I'm thinking you are going to like this one. Hopefully it can live up!

My wife keeps coming over and showing me pictures of Ryan Gosling as a kid on the Mickey Mouse club. Bwahhaa! He's looks like one of those annoying SOB's you just want to strangle.

post #17 of 143 Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been pumpin' the soundtrack and thinking about the movie. It's not perfect but I could see this being today's True Romance. Drive doesn't has the "love story" that film had but it has enough and if I was in high school today I'd be all over this.

Ahhh 1993. Where did you go?

post #18 of 143 Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
F^ck1n$ awesome!

The 80's vibe, combined with the sparse(sometimes) dialogue, character development, great acting, a moderate twist or two, and great plot, make this one a winner. It got a little self indulgent at times, but all in all, it was great. Easily one of my favorite films of the year. Just edging out Contagion.

Did I mention the soundtrack was amazing?

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #19 of 143 Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I saw Drive yesterday. I liked it well enough but, frankly, was far less impressed than many of the critics were. I should admit up front that I have never been an ardent Ryan Gosling fan and his performance in Drive did nothing to improve my assessment. I believe Gosling's performance was supposed to convince us that the Driver was the quintessence of existential cool. Instead, his Driver seemed to be a none to bright tool with a penchant for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also thought that the film had far more style than substance.

On the plus side, the action scenes were heart poundingly exciting and the film's plot, although thin, was intriguing. Drive's supporting cast was simply marvelous, especially Albert Brooks as a mob guy and Bryan Cranston as the Driver's boss and partner in a fledgling stock car racing team. Christina Hendricks was also excellent, but in a role that was disappointingly limited.

Drive had enough going for it to convince me to give it 7 Stars out of 10 but that's about all I could see in it. Marginally recommended.
post #20 of 143 Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This looks a whole lot like Walter Hill's The Driver, but it doesn't seem to be sourced from the same writing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077474/

Still looks close enough to interest the lawyers

CW Hinkle
post #21 of 143 Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

This film is taking over! I can't wait to see it.

One of the aspects many people are celebrating is the sound design and score. Here is a brand new interview with the film's composer:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...inez-drive.php
post #22 of 143 Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

One of the aspects many people are celebrating is the sound design and score. Here is a brand new interview with the film's composer:

I SECOND THAT!!! I saw it last night. The score is kind of an atmospheric, almost techno-like beat that pulsate through the film. And the sound design matches the sudden intense fury that the film itself has. Gunshots and crashes will jar you out of your seat.

Have to disagree with the above poster about Gosling, I think he was perfect. He wasn't supposed to be the epitome of cool--he WAS a not-too-bright guy getting caught up in all the wrong situations. However, he did so with a boiling intensity that seemed to idle right below the surface, waiting to explode.

This film is absolutely dripping with "cool"; however, it takes a FILM fan to enjoy it--it is not for mass consumption. It is slow-burning and atmospheric (if you saw Animal Kingdom, it's up there, with less intensity yet more style).

However, I do not think it a perfect film. The pacing seemed to steadily decrease throughout the entire film. They were going for that slow-burning intensity feel, but I don't think they quite nailed it--I found myself waiting for something to happen for far too long as certain parts of the film. And the second half of the film seems to think sudden bursts of violence will replace the adrenaline pumping, white-knuckled chase scenes from the first half; they prove to be an inadequate replacement.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a film so gracefully self-aware. You know exactly what's going on in the characters heads and the film KNOWS what you're thinking (it shows this in several scenes where it holds the suspense very well and for much long than you think it would.)

Overall, it's very highly recommendable to film buffs, but I'd advise "normal" people to stay away.
post #23 of 143 Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Saw it last night and it was extremely enjoyable. While not perfect, it was a slow-burn of intensity, atmosphere and retribution. Gorgeously shot with an awesome soundtrack, brilliant supporting cast, and some truly inspired moments... it is a welcome change of pace.

Speaking of pace, my one complaint with this film was the dialogue pacing. It seemed like they were trying too hard to insert suspenseful pauses in every conversation. Sometimes it worked, many times it didn't. If these conversations had been real, I assure you there would've been many "HELLO?!" and "Did you hear what I said?!" interjections. Besides that though, I felt the deliberate pacing worked well, and made for satisfying payoffs throughout the film.

The best of which was an exhilarating sequence that starts in a pawn shop parking lot. Simply masterful, and well worth the price of admission alone.

Anyway, SEE THIS FILM!
post #24 of 143 Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Saw it last night and it was extremely enjoyable. While not perfect, it was a slow-burn of intensity, atmosphere and retribution. Gorgeously shot with an awesome soundtrack, brilliant supporting cast, and some truly inspired moments... it is a welcome change of pace.

Speaking of pace, my one complaint with this film was the dialogue pacing. It seemed like they were trying too hard to insert suspenseful pauses in every conversation. Sometimes it worked, many times it didn't. If these conversations had been real, I assure you there would've been many "HELLO?!" and "Did you hear what I said?!" interjections. Besides that though, I felt the deliberate pacing worked well, and made for satisfying payoffs throughout the film.

The best of which was an exhilarating sequence that starts in a pawn shop parking lot. Simply masterful, and well worth the price of admission alone.

Anyway, SEE THIS FILM!

Thanx for the review.
Interesting comment about the pacing of dialog....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #25 of 143 Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, SEE THIS FILM!

I'm with you on the pauses in dialogue.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I just attributed it to some sort of social or mental issues the driver had?

I don't think I took one breath during the parking lot scene!

post #26 of 143 Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Finally saw this over the weekend. I wasn't impressed. I read a criticism this morning (after seeing the movie) in which someone called it "shallow, existential noir posturing." That's exactly correct, IMO. The whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking, "This director is such a poseur. He's seen every Michael Mann film but he hasn't understood them." The movie isn't just style over substance. It's ALL style and no substance at all.

I also found myself wishing that I was watching a real '80s movie and not this facsimile. Something like To Live and Die in LA (an obvious influence) has just as much style as this, plus characters with actual personalities, which is something completely missing here. The car chase is better too, frankly.

Albert Brooks has in interesting line of dialogue when he's explaining how he used to be a movie producer in the '80s and made a bunch of bad action movies. "Critics called them 'European.' I thought they were sh!t." I felt like he could be talking about this one.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #27 of 143 Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

The worst film ive seen this year! waste of time imo.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #28 of 143 Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Finally saw this over the weekend. I wasn't impressed. I read a criticism this morning (after seeing the movie) in which someone called it "shallow, existential noir posturing." That's exactly correct, IMO. The whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking, "This director is such a poseur. He's seen every Michael Mann film but he hasn't understood them." The movie isn't just style over substance. It's ALL style and no substance at all.

I also found myself wishing that I was watching a real '80s movie and not this facsimile. Something like To Live and Die in LA (an obvious influence) has just as much style as this, plus characters with actual personalities, which is something completely missing here. The car chase is better too, frankly.

Albert Brooks has in interesting line of dialogue when he's explaining how he used to be a movie producer in the '80s and made a bunch of bad action movies. "Critics called them 'European.' I thought they were sh!t." I felt like he could be talking about this one.

While I mostly disagree and feel the film had substance, you did remind me of what I felt the main flaw of the film was (besides the dialogue pacing).
Spoiler  
The main character had almost no substance and was all style. Pretty much every single supporting character (from the kid all the way to Nino) had more depth and substance to them than the Driver did. I think they tried to portray the Driver as cool\\mysterious and while it may have worked at times, overall it just left me wondering what his motivations were and why he had them. I mean, I cared more for the father who was shot than I did the Driver who was trying to protect his family. And the "romantic" scenes of him and Irene driving together, playing by the creek, etc just didn't connect because I had no idea who this guy was, or if he was genuine, etc.

Despite those two issues, I still really enjoyed it (as I said it was a welcome change of pace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

I can think of more than a handful of worse films that have been released just since this one.
post #29 of 143 Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

While I didn't really like it, this was clearly not the worst movie of the year. Just you wait until "The Moth Diaries" gets released. Whoo-wee, what an embarrassing stinker that is!

Josh Z

post #30 of 143 Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While I mostly disagree and feel the film had substance, you did remind me of what I felt the main flaw of the film was (besides the dialogue pacing).
Spoiler  
The main character had almost no substance and was all style. Pretty much every single supporting character (from the kid all the way to Nino) had more depth and substance to them than the Driver did. I think they tried to portray the Driver as cool\\mysterious and while it may have worked at times, overall it just left me wondering what his motivations were and why he had them. I mean, I cared more for the father who was shot than I did the Driver who was trying to protect his family. And the "romantic" scenes of him and Irene driving together, playing by the creek, etc just didn't connect because I had no idea who this guy was, or if he was genuine, etc.

The Driver character is obviously designed to emulate the characters of Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Steve McQueen, and other famous tough guy men-of-few-words. The thing is, when those characters stood there without speaking, you could see the wheels turning behind their eyes. You could tell that they were thinking, analyzing the situation and planning all the angles.

Driver isn't thinking anything. He's a blank slate. There's nothing going on behind the eyes.

Josh Z

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page