The Ides of March - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
George Clooney's newest political thriller starring himself, Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Evan Rachel Wood, and Marisa Tomei. Clooney co-wrote and directed this film.

An idealistic staffer for a newbie presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail. Based on the play by Beau Willimon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The cast alone makes this a must see, although I can't say the trailer made it overly compelling.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
The cast alone makes this a must see, although I can't say the trailer made it overly compelling.
+1
Terrific cast.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Early review: http://www.indiewire.com/article/rev...monster_movie/

Excerpt: At its best, “Ides of March” succeeds as a leaner, more outwardly aggressive version of Mike Nichols’ “Primary Colors,” which skillfully explored the dichotomy between Bill Clinton’s charm and his private abuse of power. “Ides of March” hints at a similar troublesome balance, but emphasizes the cutthroat nature of the men behind the curtain rather than the face they support. The title suggests a dramatic Shakespearean twist, but Clooney’s aims are much simpler. As he builds to a western showdown divorced from political specificity, the Manchurian-like manipulation turns “Ides of March” into an allegorical monster movie in which everyone’s competing for the role of the monster and most people can’t see it.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks lwright

Clooney doesn't really need to expose anything these days.
Probably worth a pass out of respect. Good Night was quite good on the second pass.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Saw this quote from another person so can't take credit for it but it was perfect.

I can't stand pretentious holly-wierd douche bags like Clooney. Why do they keep acting like they need to tell the rest of us how to act and how to live?

Clooney said in an interview he believes all Americans must put in 2 years of public service. You know this is America something called liberty exists, that means you nor the govt has a right to tell people how to live and what to do with our time.

So glad his movie flopped we don't need your leftist propaganda.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Saw this quote from another person so can't take credit for it but it was perfect.

I can't stand pretentious holly-wierd douche bags like Clooney. Why do they keep acting like they need to tell the rest of us how to act and how to live?

It’s called freedom of speech; look it up in The Constitution.

Quote:

I can't stand pretentious holly-wierd douche bags like Clooney.

Very often when people resort to that type of name calling, they are leveling. Leveling, means people who feel inadequate will sometimes try to "level" those who have what they want. In this instance, they are jealous they don’t have the soapbox to stand on to express their opinions, so they resort to innuendos in order make themselves feel better because they feel so poorly about themselves.

Quote:

Clooney said in an interview he believes all Americans must put in 2 years of public service.

I wanted to find the context of that quote, but I couldn’t find a link to that interview, anywhere. How about posting one. Thanks. BTW, if you can’t find one, isn’t posting something that isn’t factual a form of propaganda?

Quote:

You know this is America something called liberty exists, that means you nor the govt has a right to tell people how to live and what to do with our time .

Liberty also means: freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice.

Seems to me Clooney is exercising his liberty when he speaks. You don’t have to like or agree with what he or anyone has to say, but he/they still has the freedom to say it.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Zoey reserves the right to speak her mind as well as Clooney.

Hollywood's liberal agenda-pushing is rather pretentious and obnoxious, but it doesn't stop be from enjoying the cinematic qualities of their products (and certainly, it isn't in every fim). I'm actually looking forward to this film because from what I hear it is a critical look at the system itself and the toll it takes on the integrity of those involved.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Zoey reserves the right to speak her mind as well as Clooney.

Absolutely.

Quote:

Hollywood's liberal agenda-pushing is rather pretentious and obnoxious

Depends on your view. Believing that, then they aren’t the only ones who have an agenda when it comes to movie making. 25 years later, how ‘Top Gun’ made America love war http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...JgJ_story.html
Quote:

it doesn't stop be from enjoying the cinematic qualities of their products (and certainly, it isn't isn't in every fim). I'm actually looking forward to this film because from what I hear it is a critical look at the system itself.

I agree.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Hollywood's liberal agenda-pushing is rather pretentious and obnoxious

I agree Vince Vaughn and all these people should just STFU.

Maybe you need a smaller brush
Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I'm not saying that there aren't conservatives in Hollywood, just that they are grossly outnumbered and overpowered. And I'm referring more to the slant of the films that are made, not the opinions expressed by the actor's themselves.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting interview with co-writer and producer Grant Heslov:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...arch-jgiro.php
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Keep to the movie, please. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, I enjoyed Ryan Gosling's acting on this one; he is so young and very talented, regardless of the political motivation. Like him in Drive also.

The rest of the cast are also excellent, esp. Hoffman and Giamatti.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Just got around to seeing The Ides of March tonight. Loved it, loved it, loved it! The film is the smartest and most deeply cynical political drama, I have ever seen. I was afraid that it would turn into a Hollywood lefty paean or would end up copping out and give us a sappy happy ending. Not to worry, it did neither. Beware, though, those who have romantic notions about our political process should stay far far away.

As others have already noted, the film's ensemble cast was remarkable. For the first time, I saw why so many others have become fans of Ryan Gosling. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, and Marisa Tomei, as you might expect, were out of this world, too. Finally, the young and beautiful Evan Rachel Wood stole every scene she was in.

For those with a suitably cynical turn of mind about politics, I give The Ides of March highest recommendations. 9 Stars out of 10.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

The rest of the cast are also excellent, esp. Hoffman and Giamatti.

I can't believe you skipped Tomei.

Anyway, it's a refreshing change from so many brainless CGI saturated crap movies coming out these days.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

I can't believe you skipped Tomei.

Anyway, it's a refreshing change from so many brainless CGI saturated crap movies coming out these days.

Believe it or not, I realized that I had mistakenly overlooked Tomei after I posted earlier about the film's wonderful ensemble cast. I loved Tomei's role as a tough, cynical New York Times reporter. Her view of politicians and their apparatchiks is similar to my own.

After I posted here earlier, I went back and watched the film again, this time with the commentary of George Clooney and Grant Heslov, Clooney's screenwriter. The second viewing showed me that The ides of March is even more cynical than I had thought it was the first time through. What great stuff!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, very cynical.

The Marisa Tomei I remembered was back in My Cousin Vinny, which was back in '92.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

The Marisa Tomei I remembered was back in My Cousin Vinny, which was back in '92.

A classic comedy IMO.
Which reminds me...I think there is a BD out now.
Logging on to Amazon to order....

Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Just got around to seeing The Ides of March tonight. Loved it, loved it, loved it! The film is the smartest and most deeply cynical political drama, I have ever seen. I was afraid that it would turn into a Hollywood lefty paean or would end up copping out and give us a sappy happy ending. Not to worry, it did neither. Beware, though, those who have romantic notions about our political process should stay far far away.

As others have already noted, the film's ensemble cast was remarkable. For the first time, I saw why so many others have become fans of Ryan Gosling. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, and Marisa Tomei, as you might expect, were out of this world, too. Finally, the young and beautiful Evan Rachel Wood stole every scene she was in.

For those with a suitably cynical turn of mind about politics, I give The Ides of March highest recommendations. 9 Stars out of 10.

Ill have to give this a go.

Frank
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Ill have to give this a go.

My only caveat for you is to warn that the film involves a lot of arcane machinations, which require a fairly solid understanding of the US presidential electoral system. Worse, The Ides of March focuses on the Democratic primary elections, which makes it even more arcane because the states frequently change their laws concerning the way in which their electoral votes will be awarded. In short, despite how much I loved The Ides of March, it's probably going to have its greatest appeal to American politics junkies and may not travel well.

All of the foregoing being said, I am really looking forward to learning what you think of the film.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

My only caveat for you is to warn that the film involves a lot of arcane machinations, which require a fairly solid understanding of the US presidential electoral system. Worse, The Ides of March focuses on the Democratic primary elections, which makes it even more arcane because the states frequently change their laws concerning the way in which their electoral votes will be awarded. In short, despite how much I loved The Ides of March, it's probably going to have its greatest appeal to American politics junkies and may not travel well.

All of the foregoing being said, I am really looking forward to learning what you think of the film.

Thank gwsat. I think ill wait till it hits our shores over here and rent it first.

Frank
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I thought this movie was an incredible bore.

To get the subject out of the way, it's not really a political movie. Sure, certain topics are raised, and there are a number of swipes against the other party, but the isn't any real or substantial exploration of political themes. They serve as window dressing and little else. Some may find that to be a good thing.

The story itself is paper-thin. The plot isn't overly-developed, the stakes never seem that great, and the machinations are simplistic. Events that are supposed to be surprising aren't.

There just isn't much to this movie. By the end of the film, one gets the feeling that it's just about to start.

One thing that did surprise me, and this has occurred in a couple of recent movies, is how small amounts of money are presented as having significant value.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Specifically, Molly needs $900 for an abortion. She doesn't have it. As a young intern, that's plausible. But, Stephen, a man who's heart and mind are supposedly devoted to Morris' campagin because he really, really believes in him can't come up with less than $1K at a moment's notice? Judging from his clothes, surroundings, and the discussion of his value to the campaign, surely he should have been able to pay for her abortion and keep the entire matter silenced.

Instead, he risks using the campaign's funds to pay for it. OK, maybe the story takes place in a universe where John Edward's hush-money scandal never took place. But still, a guy who's so devoted to the campaign should have had enough sense to know that the best way to prevent a scandal would have been to just take care of it.

As for the performances, Hoffman and Giamatti were both great Clooney's role was so small that it's hardly worth pointing out. Wood was OK. Gozzzzzling, err, Gosling was in over his head. He just didn't pull off the role, lacking depth, passion, and the critical insight that was key to the character. Tomei was quite solid, playing a role I hadn't seen her in before.

This could have been a good movie, but unless the viewer is naive enough to think that the art of politics doesn't involve any underhanded, coniving, or dishonest actions, there's nothing new, exciting, or interesting here.

Scott

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

i liked it a lot and thought it fairly accurately portrayed the cynisism so present in our national politics. very good but not great film. decent br transfer. i'd give it 7 out of 10

neflixis our nemesis
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

Outstanding!

It reinforced the cynicism I've had for decades.

If people only knew what went on behind the scenes they wouldn't vote for anyone running for any political office.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I agree to some extent, this was well thought out film and focuses on the behind the scenes, but quiet frankly unless one lives under the rock should know by now, how political machines run, and the rather disgusting maneuvering, bribing, and deal making that's going on especially during elections.
There was one particular scene though which was an obvious jab at you know who[m], which just prove that Clooney and the likes just can't restrain themselves, but unlike Zoey I won't waste my time to get upset about it. The worst these people fear is being ignored, and that's exactly what they get from me.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I agree to some extent, this was well thought out film and focuses on the behind the scenes, but quiet frankly unless one lives under the rock should know by now, how political machines run, and the rather disgusting maneuvering, bribing, and deal making that's going on especially during elections.
There was one particular scene though which was an obvious jab at you know who[m], which just prove that Clooney and the likes just can't restrain themselves, but unlike Zoey I won't waste my time to get upset about it. The worst these people fear is being ignored, and that's exactly what they get from me.

The term "Hollywood Leftie" has become an oxymoron. That has never bothered me very much because, along with their earnest partisanship, Hollywood artistes are also charmingly naive. Give them credit, though, they know how to entertain us. This being so, I have learned to celebrate their strengths while ignoring their weaknesses. For example, it's pretty hard to take seriously the political opinions of a multimillionaire movie star who intentionally gets himself arrested as a protest to . . . what was it again Clooney was protesting? On the other hand, I think George Clooney has turned in some remarkable performances and his directorial work on both Good Night and Good Luck and The Ides of March was stellar.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

The term "Hollywood Leftie" has become an oxymoron. That has never bothered me very much because, along with their earnest partisanship, Hollywood artistes are also charmingly naive. Give them credit, though, they know how to entertain us. This being so, I have learned to celebrate their strengths while ignoring their weaknesses. For example, it's pretty hard to take seriously the political opinions of a multimillionaire movie star who intentionally gets himself arrested as a protest to . . . what was it again Clooney was protesting? On the other hand, I think George Clooney has turned in some remarkable performances and his directorial work on both Good Night and Good Luck and The Ides of March was stellar.

I totally agree, I have no issues to see films from people I tend to disagree with on political issues, I can separate the message from the messenger. When I said I do ignore these people I meant off the screen.BTW I personally like Clooney as an actor/director quiet a bit too.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

+1

Outstanding!

It reinforced the cynicism I've had for decades.

If there is anything I don't need is to have my cynicism regarding politics reinforced.
It's quite healthy, as it is.

I'm skipping this movie and giving my blood pressure a break.
However, I'll leave you with a joke I heard this morning:

"Everyone has heard Cheney got a heart transplant yesterday, but that's an impossibility....the hospital news release had it all wrong, he could only have had a heart implant."