AVS Forum banner

'Melancholia' by Lars Von Trier

7K views 96 replies 24 participants last post by  MovieSwede 
#1 ·
Described as "A beautiful movie about the end of the world", this is the story of two sisters who find their relationship challenged as a nearby planet threatens to collide into the Earth. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Alexander Skarsgård, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling, and John Hurt.

#3 ·
Oh those tolerant French huh ? I have no love for the guy, but there was nothing there beyond being foolish IMO, I found some of his movies far more insulting or negative thought provoking, then this silly attempt of being semi funny, during this press conference.

#5 ·
Kirsten Dunst nude. The only reason to see this.

#8 ·
Yeah, the search feature in this forum is terrible. I've had it fail to find threads that i know existed.

Man, every time I see new a new photo of Charlotte Gainsbourg she looks more and more like Patti Smith (the punk rocker from the 80's). Based on her looks in Cement Garden, I never would have guessed that she'd turn into Patti Smith as she aged.

I'm a sucker for the type of surrealist effects that they showed in the trailer, so I'll probably have to see this film even though I don't think I'll like the subject or tone of the movie and I really don't like the thought of throwing some money in Lars the Nazi's direction. I might have to pay for a different film and then see this instead.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21188718

The trailer is interesting....although Wagner's prelude to Tristan & Isolde doesn't fit.

Once you see the movie you will see that Wagner's prelude to Tristan & Isolde does fit. The opening sequence is visually stunning and the prelude fits wonderfully. As I watched the opening sequence I sat mesmerized by what I was seeing and realized I had been staring at the screen with my mouth open. It is absolutely beautiful as only Von Trier can do.

If you like Lars Von Trier's movies you'll like "Melancholia", it is a fascinating film. Kirsten Dunst is fantastic as 'Justine' (and so is her nude scene!!).
Some may find the movie depressing and it is. Not only is the planet that is approaching Earth named 'Melancholia' but Justine is suffering from the disease melancholia and therefore is depressed for most of the movie (additionally it was also influenced by Von Trier's own "melancholia", the idea for the film originated during a therapy session Lars von Trier attended during treatments for his depression).

The film is in three parts, a wonderful dreamlike and surreal Prelude, Part One: Justine and Part Two: Claire. Of the two parts, Part Two: Claire is the more interesting due to Part One dealing mainly with Justine's slide into depression and melancholia. I loved the whole movie!! Did I mention the cinematography is visually stunning.

Kristen Dunst won Best Actress at the Cannes festival for her performance.

Highly Recommended for those that enjoy Lars Von Trier films.

Also available on Amazon Instant Video.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser /forum/post/21195693

Tried to watch Melancholia last night but couldn't,trying to watch that movie was like watching paint dry
Turned the channel and watched The Alfred Hitchcock Hour instead! much better.

Just like many Lars Von Trier's movies you'll either love it or hate it. It is a dialog driven drama with a bit of SciFi thrown in; amazing cinematography, great performances and a truly wonderful movie IMHO!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20815149

Described as "A beautiful movie about the end of the world", this is the story of two sisters who find their relationship challenged as a nearby planet threatens to collide into the Earth. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Alexander Skarsgård, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling, and John Hurt.

Was this conceived as the art-house version of When Worlds Collide due out next year? Seems like a strange coincidence.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G /forum/post/21199634

Was this conceived as the art-house version of When Worlds Collide due out next year? Seems like a strange coincidence.
The idea for the film originated during a therapy session Lars von Trier attended during treatments for his depression. A therapist had told Trier that depressive people tend to act more calmly than others under heavy pressure, because they already expect bad things to happen. Trier then developed the story not primarily as a disaster film, and without any ambition to portray astrophysics realistically, but as a way to examine the human psyche during a disaster.

The idea of a planetary collision was inspired by websites with theories about such events. Trier decided from the outset that it would be clear from the beginning that the world actually will end in the film, so the audience would not be distracted by the suspense of not knowing the resolution. The concept of the two sisters as main characters developed via a letter exchange between Trier and the Spanish actress Penélope Cruz. Cruz wrote that she would like to work with Trier, and spoke enthusiastically about the play The Maids by Jean Genet. As Trier subsequently tried to write a role for the actress, the two maids from the play evolved into the sisters Justine and Claire in Melancholia. Much of the personality of the character Justine was based on Trier himself. The name was inspired by the novel Justine by Marquis de Sade.

#17 ·
Totally unbelievable premise. No planetoid would dare collide with Jack Bauer. Jack Bauer laughs at such doomsday scenarios. Then he takes Kirsten Dunst's naked and sad little flower in his powerful Bauer loins and cures her of her melancholia. Permanently, dammit!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/21201118

Totally unbelievable premise. No planetoid would dare collide with Jack Bauer. Jack Bauer laughs at such doomsday scenarios. Then he takes Kirsten Dunst's naked and sad little flower in his powerful Bauer loins and cures her of her melancholia. Permanently, dammit!
"I'm gonna need a hacksaw"

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/21199698

The idea of a planetary collision was inspired by websites with theories about such events. ....

I just listened to an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson on the Nerdist Podcast where Tyson mentioned that they are tracking a 300m class asteroid named Apophis which in 2029 will pass within the orbit of communication satellites and there's currently enough uncertainty in it's path that they're prediciting it might hit the Earth on April 13th 2036.

Here's a link to the podcast for anyone that's interested:

http://nerdist.libsyn.com/neil-de-grasse-tyson

The prediction is in the last three minutes.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian conrad /forum/post/21203847

it's a masterpiece and probably von trier's best film so far. It really gave my surround system a workout (watched on vudu). Yes, i would think that a planet of that mass approaching earth would cause all kinds of havoc long before it does in the film.

+1

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/21203847

It's a masterpiece and probably von Trier's best film so far. It really gave my surround system a workout (watched on Vudu). Yes, I would think that a planet of that mass approaching earth would cause all kinds of havoc long before it does in the film.

That's good to hear.

I recorded it, but won't be able to watch until next weekend at the earliest.

#23 ·

Quote:

totally unbelievable premise. No planetoid would dare collide with jack bauer. Jack bauer laughs at such doomsday scenarios. Then he takes kirsten dunst's naked and sad little flower in his powerful bauer loins and cures her of her melancholia. Permanently, dammit!

lol

#25 ·
My past experiences with HDNet Movies sneak peaks haven't been good so I wasn't expecting much. I thought it was an interesting movie. The way the prelude started I thought I was going to be stopping back-to-back movies (Tree of Life on Saturday) but I hung in there and I'm glad I did. People want something different from Hollywood, well this is it, and so is Tree of Life.

Kristen Dunst was so good I found myself getting depressed. I thought her chapter could have been shortened because there were times it seemed to drag, but I guess that was the point. You have to wonder what the husband was thinking to even marry her. Dysfuntionality at its best, throughout.

Wagner's piece was perfect.

I have no desire to see this again, but the artistic nature of the film was worth at least one view. I thought the ending was unrealistic; they were way too calm. Videophiles are more freaked out when they find that one stuck pixel on their new 65 plasma than these characters were.

Quote:

He was no Jack Bauer. Jack would have had a few unkind words to say about his character in this movie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.