Ridley Scott to direct and produce new Blade Runner film. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I was a rabid fan of Alien and I'd awaited Scott's next film with baited breath. When it came out I actually found BladeRunner to be a disappointment. Visually/aurally stunning, yes. But the writing and characterization, and languid plotting felt flat. I had this sort of sinking feeling of disenchantment and disappointment as the film went on.

However, it was so beautiful and texturally dense I would go see it again, just on those grounds, to enter it's "world" again. It was only through time, having the initial disappointment behind me and not expecting anything more of it, that I grew to like it more and more in it's entirety. Because of the way it grew on my organically through so many successive viewings, I never have any confidence in recommending the movie to others. I can see how someone could be left cold or bored stiff by it.

Even though I still hold it to be something of a "glorious failure" (mostly glorious), it really had an astounding impact on many of us. Not only in terms of film-making, where a new level of artistic commitment to detail and authenticity seemed to have been shown to us, but in the impact of the images and story. I know I'm far from the only one whose very relationship to cities and to the weather was changed somewhat by BladeRunner - where I began to appreciate rain in a city as evocative, romantic, cinematic, and cities themselves took on a new meaning with their lights "gleaming in the dark"...cool...just like BladeRunner....!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Well said. For myself, in addition to what Rich has posted, my relationship to my environment, specifically the impact of letting industry and progress run amok, was brought to the forefront of my consciousness with this film. Growing up in LA the smog problem was something we all were aware of, but to see a depiction of what the near future could look like? I was never one to throw my empty beer cans out the pickup truck window, but to see that possible future, right there on the big screen, that nailed it.

While I'll never get a Nobel prize for any work I do with regards to the environment(none of us should really, we should just do it without thinking about it), that film prompted me to think a whole lot more about the state of the world around me than anything else had in the past, and that includes not being able to see downtown LA through the haze from the top of Mulholland Drive.

For that simple fact alone, the film "Blade Runner" has helped forge a much better human being than the one that existed before it.
post #93 of 99 Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Well said. For myself, in addition to what Rich has posted, my relationship to my environment, specifically the impact of letting industry and progress run amok, was brought to the forefront of my consciousness with this film. Growing up in LA the smog problem was something we all were aware of, but to see a depiction of what the near future could look like? I was never one to throw my empty beer cans out the pickup truck window, but to see that possible future, right there on the big screen, that nailed it.

While I'll never get a Nobel prize for any work I do with regards to the environment(none of us should really, we should just do it without thinking about it), that film prompted me to think a whole lot more about the state of the world around me than anything else had in the past, and that includes not being able to see downtown LA through the haze from the top of Mulholland Drive.

For that simple fact alone, the film "Blade Runner" has helped forge a much better human being than the one that existed before it.

That's quite a surprising slant/impression.

I guess part of my memory of this movie's impact was within the industry. The cinematography and effects shot 65mm, then 70mm release prints made it more impressive in that department, one of considerable discussion, etc.
post #94 of 99 Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 320
A pretty cool piece of "Blade Runner" art...

From Wired,
Quote:
More than 3,000 watercolor drawings were combined to produce this stunning animation, an exacting, frame-by-frame re-creation of an early sequence from Blade Runner.

The transfixing 13-minute tribute, created by Swedish artist Anders Ramsell, uses 3,285 images drawn using watercolor pencils. The technique, known as aquarelle, creates gauzy images that look practically transparent on paper.

Ramsell paired original audio from Blade Runner with his ethereal visuals. The impressionistic effect is enhanced by the low-fi quality of YouTube, which makes the animation seem even hazier. The end result is hypnotic, and slightly disorienting — Blade Runner’s dystopian, futuristic cityscapes melt into a dreamlike fantasy in pastel colors.

That isn’t to say that Ramsell’s fanciful watercolor depictions aren’t dark. In Ramsell’s video (above), he masterfully illustrates Holden’s interrogation of Leon using the Voight-Kampff test (see the original scene below). When Leon shoots Holden, revealing himself as a replicant, we see the gunshot frame by frame, and the screen suddenly turns black.

Ramsell has plans to re-create the entire movie using this technique, which may take several years. We eagerly await the results.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/06/blade-runner-animation-watercolor/

post #95 of 99 Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
In case any wonder, im not that guy. wink.gif

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #96 of 99 Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
For BLADE RUNNER . .. True, many of the SFX shots were done in 65mm but the 70mm release prints were a 35mm blowup. The final negative was 35mm.
post #97 of 99 Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

For BLADE RUNNER . .. True, many of the SFX shots were done in 65mm but the 70mm release prints were a 35mm blowup.
From what I remember reading at the time, the effects shots done in 65mm were cut directly into the 65mm internegative (the rest of which was a 35mm blowup, as you said). This avoided the generation loss of reducing the 65mm shots to 35mm only to blow it back up again when making 70mm prints. The 35mm reductions were only for the 35mm scope release prints. The 70mm prints sourced the 70mm effects negs.

Sanjay
post #98 of 99 Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Today is the 30 year anniversary of BR.
30 frickin' years of debate and gnashing of teeth over the most beloved cyberpunk sci-fi movie in history.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 99 Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blade Runner Five Disc Complete Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page