1Likes

post #91 of 134 Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Yes, I know all of that. I was just asking how or if they would address this once and for all since this is an opportunity to revision the whole thing...

Why should they? It was very dramatic . . . the way they did it. Why not continue the drama in the new MM movie.

When I first saw it, I knew it wasn't correct, but at the same time, I really enjoyed how they heightened the drama of the scene. Just showing him putting his foot down on the gas pedal, or showing the speedometer increasing is nowheres near as dramatic as him pressing that red button and watching the supercharger engage along with the added sound effects.

Call it; "Hollywood Artisitc License" if you will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 134 Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Liked: 10
I find many more women are usually more attracted to "cute" cars. mx5, beetle/bug, mini, "girlish" cars. almost any kind of car without a top.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #93 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by randosel View Post

I find many more women are usually more attracted to "cute" cars. mx5, beetle/bug, mini, "girlish" cars. almost any kind of car without a top.

Depends on definition of "attracted."

Women may want to DRIVE those cars, but they are more "attracted" to the $$$ that can buy oogles of those cars for them to drive.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #94 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM

post #95 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Frankencuda?
Great name.

Considering the obstruction to your vision of the road, have to wonder whether you wouldn't get pulled over by the cops every 4 minutes.
A drag strip would work though.

Still...it would be great to have in the garage and show-off to your buddies during half-time on football Sundays.

post #96 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I have no idea what kind of contraption that is sticking up thru the hood, even after reading the Barrett-Jackson listing, but I do know one thing... [Vitale]It's awesome babieee![/Vitale]
post #97 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I have no idea what kind of contraption that is sticking up thru the hood, even after reading the Barrett-Jackson listing, but I do know one thing... [Vitale]It's awesome babieee![/Vitale]

Some videos on the car:

http://www.challengerenthusiast.net/...ottsdale-2011/
post #98 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Some videos on the car:

http://www.challengerenthusiast.net/...ottsdale-2011/

Thanx for that.

Wow, just WOW!

I find it funny the guy was trying to convince us this is a streetable car....
Uh, yeah pal.

Drag strips (once) and car shows....that's about it.

post #99 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I swear to god I will own a new Dodge Challenger in the next 3 years.

It will happen, oh yes, it will. Classic, retro looks without the troublesome of an old car.

It's too bad the new Mustangs and Camaros missed that mark.
post #100 of 134 Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

It will happen, oh yes, it will. Classic, retro looks without the troublesome of an old car.

Wait until they get rid of the Mercedes derived chassis and lighten the car to around 3,500 lbs.

I have the 6.1L SRT-8 rated at 420hp in one of my Grand Cherokees.
It is one heck of an engine, with a wonderfully nasty snarl to it (like the old hemis).

post #101 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

I'd be tempted when they punch out the hemi to 426ci like the old days, and I'm a (old) Chevy guy. Earlier this year I was surprised how much they discounted a fully loaded hemi Challenger during the big Washington's birthday sale here in NE. It's funny, too, when you see a new Challenger next to an old one. The new one is quite a bit bigger than the original which you wouldn't think until you saw them side by side. Although, with that being said, it's unlikely I'll be getting rid of my current toy car so there won't any room in the garage for another car. As it is now, in the warm weather when I work on my toy car I have to leave the daily driver in the driveway because there just ain't no room in the garage for it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #102 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I'm going to go OT in this Motor Trend thread and mention that I watched Mad Max last night for the first time in decades.

It got on my nerves, especially the biker gang; they were so 70's it was ridiculous. Mel looked 17 and is given way too much credit for being fantastic in this movie, IMO. As is par for the course for so many movies, deadly accidents happen and people get up and walk away as if they fell into a swimming pool. IMO, this movie is so dated and B grade that a remake will do wonders for it. This was terrible, just terrible.
post #103 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM

Mad Max isn't really a "good" movie, but it is a fun movie to watch for some of the reasons you mention that keep it from being good. It is pretty cheesy in parts. If it wasn't for Road Warrior, we probably wouldn't be talking about it. And, forget it if Mel never became famous.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #104 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree that Mad Max isn't great cinema, but perfectly acceptable as a piece of popcorn entertainment. Nobody doubts The Road Warrior was far and away the class of the trilogy. Nobody had ever seen anything quite like it, and to this day I still don't know how some of those stunt guys survived the filming. As a pure adrenaline pump, TWW has seldom been equaled.

So there's going to be the temptation to outdo the original. People have become jaded on action thrillers and post-apocalyptic survival tales. They're going to have to up the ante to get noticed for more than just the name, especially with no Mel. That will involve either a ton of very expensive vfx - or a horrific slaughter of stuntmen if they go "real".
post #105 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 271
It appears Mel's escapades of the past few years are nothing new.

Quote:

Mel Gibson, a complete unknown at this point, went to auditions with his friend and classmate, Steve Bisley (who would later land the part of Jim Goose). Gibson went to auditions in poor shape, as the night before he had got into a drunken brawl with three men at a party, resulting in a swollen nose, a broken jawline, and various other bruises. Gibson showed up at the audition the next day looking like a "black and blue pumpkin" (his own words). He did not expect to get the role and only went to accompany his friend. However, the casting agent liked the look and told Gibson to come back in two weeks, telling him "we need freaks." When Gibson returned, the filmmakers did not recognize him because his wounds had healed almost completely; he received the part anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max
post #106 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks Mad Max is a bad movie. Furthermore, I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks the Road Warrior is a "better" movie, even though I can agree with most of all the rebuttal points.

Mad Max IS a good movie. It even offers some themes that cannot be found in Road Warrior. For example, the cars. Mad Max is about the cars. Road Warrior destroys the famous car halfway through, and becomes more of a fuel depot siege (not that this is a bad thing, but people who are gear-heads would prefer Mad Max because it is more driven by vehicles than the sequel) and a semi truck road-race. Mad Max is more about the open road, and really presses that in that apocalyptic world, people run bad and there's little that the "cops" can do. Mad Max also contains a very engaging story about his wife and his kid, along with some very touching scenes like the "I am crazy for you" hand signals. I absolutely love the scenes when his wife plays the sax, or when Mad Max is staring off into the ocean, thinking about what to do next. Those are very important and touching scenes, and they are not found in Road Warrior. The end of Mad Max hits harder than bricks. Claiming Mad Max isn't a good movie is literally destroying this films important history. Shame on you.

I see Mad Max/Road Warrior somewhat comparable to Terminator 1/2. Hear me out:

Mad Max = Terminator 1. Both of these movies are about the villain, and are different in genres from their sequels. In general: Mad Max is a drama/thriller/sci-fi/action movie (in that order). Mad Max 2 is an action/sci-fi movie. The Terminator is a horror/sci-fi/thriller/action. The Terminator 2 is a action/sci-fi movie. One other thing I've forgotten about Mad Max, is that it really builds the villains up more than Road Warrior, and uses very little technology or money to do so. I hate the villians in Mad Max the most, because they are just nasty pricks and very effective at being what they are. Mad Max, just like Terminator 1, is the low budget staple mark of the franchise and viewed in the context of their historical periods, they are masterpieces and stand mighty strong up to the sequels. Additionally, both of these movies provide the origins, and incorporate very touching romantic scenes that the sequels do not have.

Mad Max 2 = Terminator 2. No more romance. More emphasis on the action, and less of the touching emotion and arguably, character development. Mad Max 2, along with Terminator 2, is "balls to the wall" jaw-dropping action that hits hard all the way through. I love both of these movies, but I tend to think things out more before making blanket statement that they are "better" than the originals. No, they are not. They are just simply different, and simply awesome.

Terminator 2 isn't necessarily better than Terminator 1. Just like the Road Warrior isn't necessarily better than Mad Max. If you still feel this to be the case, fine. But you cannot claim that Mad Max is a "bad" movie. You better run for cover.
post #107 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Mad Max is argueably the best action B-movie ever made. Which imo, makes it better than 90% of all action movies.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #108 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
C'mon, Fender...you expect Max to fall in love all over again in the sequel? By that point in the timeline, the world is pretty all well F'd. People aren't thinking about fuzzy things like "familyhood" by then. It's pure survival amongst savages, with only hair traces of humanity left to make it recognizable and relatable to the audience. In that sense, RW is a perfectly reasonable evolution of the story to come out of MM.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #109 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It's an insane engine even w/o the crazy-ridiculous supercharger on top of it. Even the cylinder head covers are bursting out of the hood. It must be one monstrosity of a big block (a true "Hemi", at that, given the spark plug positions) they squeezed in there!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #110 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Totally agree with you. Road Warrior was a perfect sequel.

But I still have massive respect, and massive nostalgia that goes towards Mad Max, and enjoyed several elements that were missing in Road Warrior. That doesn't mean that I wanted them to continue, but my point is that they are both awesome in their own rights.
post #111 of 134 Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

It's an insane engine even w/o the crazy-ridiculous supercharger on top of it. Even the cylinder head covers are bursting out of the hood. It must be one monstrosity of a big block (a true "Hemi", at that, given the spark plug positions) they squeezed in there!

That's because the car body is designed to sit low on the frame while the engine is designed to sit high - higher then normal which you can see from this under construction photo:

post #112 of 134 Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This thread brings back memories. A 1966 Charger with a Street Hemi that I drove to death (131,000 miles). Flooring it at 80 mph was the best thing to do. Added the NASCAR spoiler on the trunk. That greatly reduced oversteer above 110. Which was about where the second carb became very audible.

Now my Jag (2008 XJR) is quicker but you just do not get the same feeling of power. I have become addicted to supercharger whine though.

At to topic: MM good, TRW very good, BT OK. To whomever it may concern: Beyond Fury is NOT Mad Max without Mel. Period.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #113 of 134 Old 09-29-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For everyone who loves hot cars and fantasizes driving like a pro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2EuY9uRCfQ

Turn up the audio and you can hear the tires squealing.

If Mad Max could do this....

post #114 of 134 Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM

George Miller Talks the Rebooted Mad Max aka Fury Road

Quote:
One thing that Miller said was absolutely the same was Mad Max, the character who was being rebooted, albeit primarily via Hardy’s performance rather than a ground-up reinvention via screenwriting. “He’s a rebooted Mad Max, but it’s a new interpretation.” Miller revealed. “We made it very clear from the outset that it would be crazy to try to impersonate what Mel had done, but Tom [like] Mel and Heath Ledger; these guys all have very similar kind of maleness, I find. I don’t know, they somehow remind me of big cats – they’re mesmerizing to look and be with, but you don’t know what they’re going to do at any moment.”

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/georg...aka-fury-road/
post #115 of 134 Old 11-29-2011, 02:30 PM

George Miller Says He’s Writing a New MAD MAX Trilogy

http://collider.com/george-miller-ne...4/#more-129214
post #116 of 134 Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Was someone talking about superchargers?

Quote:

One of the craziest cars I have come across

Checkout the image of easily the largest supercharger ever strapped to a car is real and in no way doctored. We salute these real gearheads of genius below.

When Mike Christensen says his Camaro had a big supercharger on it, he wasn't kidding. According to Mike, his dad came home from the junkyard one day with a supercharger so big they could only speculate it came off a locomotive engine (side note, we must know where this junkyard is immediately). Being bored gearheads, and having a sweet first generation Camaro drag racer laying around, they decided to lash it onto the car's big V8. After custom fabricating intake manifolds, a special order supercharger belt, and quite a lot of tinkering, the engine actually fired up and when Mike blipped the throttle, he blew both head gaskets immediately!

post #117 of 134 Old 12-06-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ That's amazing! What's even more suprising is they evidently sometimes supercharge locamotives! Who knew?
post #118 of 134 Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM

At best the pictured supercharger is just a gimmick with no real benefit over "normal" superchargers of that type for that kind of motor. If you follow this link and scroll down, somebody posted a pic of a motor with a supercharger that could be what is shown in the Camaro: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119087

larry

post #119 of 134 Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

At best the pictured supercharger is just a gimmick with no real benefit over "normal" superchargers of that type for that kind of motor. If you follow this link and scroll down, somebody posted a pic of a motor with a supercharger that could be what is shown in the Camaro: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119087

larry

Larry:

You've never heard the old expression . . .

"Nothing succeeds like excess!"

Like this car:

When it comes to cars, people do some crazy stuff with their money.

LOL - some people just want to have something that no one else has I guess
post #120 of 134 Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Better get the most of Charlize with hair now with Prometheus and Snow white, next time you see on film she'll be bald...yuck.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91386
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page