AVS Forum banner

Mad Max: Fury Road

26K views 431 replies 89 participants last post by  rezzy 
#1 ·
Begins filming next spring, according to star Tom Hardy:

http://collider.com/mad-max-fury-roa...g-date/110421/

The film also stars Charlize Theron, and is being spear-headed by George Miller himself.

Fury Road will be a relaunch of the Mad Max franchise that rocketed Mel Gibson to stardom in 1979. The story takes place in a dystopian future, and Miller has been hard at work designing new vehicles and such for the update.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 /forum/post/0

Wow..is it just me or there seems to be a butt load of reboot, remakes, and prequels. I guess the studios are either running out of ideas or just lazy and relying on past success.

It's not just you. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: DaveyMac
#12 ·
Well, at least George Kennedy is directing this.

Then again, he also directed Beyond the Thunderdome. While it isn't pointless or terrible, it's at least worth seeing once and can be entertaining at times.

Mel Gibson is Mad Max. Just as much as it being low budget and in Australia is Mad Max, too.

This new one cannot have CGI. It's must be gritty and real. I'm willing to give the lead a chance.

I'm afraid that nothing can compare to Max Mad or Road Warrior, though.

#14 ·
Totally agreed. BT isn't bad. I certainly didn't fall asleep, nor did I hate my life while watching it. I actually was entertained much of the time with it (especially the end racing scene, or the Thunderdome scenes...haha). I think fans give it much too hard of a time even though we all know that it doesn't stand up to the first two. I don't like the ending, and I didn't like some other minor things about it. But overall, I think it's "good."

Mad Max and Road Warrior are a tie for me. Both are epics in their own rights. There's some things that's better about Mad Max. There's some things that's better about Road Warrior. You can say the same thing about Terminator 1 and Terminator 2.

#16 ·
Gibson is way past his prime, and carries a lot of excess baggage with him at this point .. a fresh start is probably a good idea .. or maybe they should CGI him a la "Tron:Legacy" ..

Let Gibson score a part in the next "Expendables" ..

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule /forum/post/0

Totally agreed. BT isn't bad. I certainly didn't fall asleep, nor did I hate my life while watching it. I actually was entertained much of the time with it (especially the end racing scene, or the Thunderdome scenes...haha). I think fans give it much too hard of a time even though we all know that it doesn't stand up to the first two. I don't like the ending, and I didn't like some other minor things about it. But overall, I think it's "good."

Mad Max and Road Warrior are a tie for me. Both are epics in their own rights. There's some things that's better about Mad Max. There's some things that's better about Road Warrior. You can say the same thing about Terminator 1 and Terminator 2.

I loved Thunderdome, as I think it is different enough from the first two, to almost stand on its own. I like it more than the first two, probably because I saw it first, and the feel and music just work for me. The first two are definitely a different type of movie.

I'll go see this one, and even though Mel was brilliant as ol Maxy, I'm looking forward to seeing if they can pull it off. Although I don't see them making it as gritty and real as it will need to be.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20857356

Gibson is way past his prime, and carries a lot of excess baggage with him at this point .. Let Gibson score a part in the next "Expendables" ..

Ooooohhhhhh...talk about a badguy-role that people would love-to-hate, or hate-to-love, if they did it right. Good call there!

#20 ·
I also love Thunderdome. I like it better than the first by a long shot. I find it genuinely emotionally moving. It's always had a good deal of hatred piled on it and I cannot understand why.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/20857027

I had new real issues with BT. Tina Turner, MasterBlaster, etc., it was a lot of fun. It wasn't made from the same mold as the first two, but there's been plenty more worse movies.

larry

It was another "the third movie in the trilogy/series blows chunks" syndrome. We have seen that before. . . . many times

#24 ·
MM and TRW felt liked what they were- low budget, plucky, gonzo action movies with a charismatic lead and tons of atmosphere. BT felt like a glossy Hollywood recreation that completely lacked soul. I absolutely hated it. Even if this new one had Mel in it, I'd still be skeptical.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/20856579

At least they could bill it as Mad Max Jr. or something.

Charlize Theron in it? I think I've got the plot. It's the kid in The Road Warrior who grew up and meets Charlize who walked out of the house and disappeared in the movie The Road. Both are in post-apocalyptic world so it's perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.