The Expendables 2 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 117 Old 08-31-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I liked it as well. As a huge fan of the action movies of years gone by, I go for the nostalgia and action. Not the academy award potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 20
Exp. 2 was one of the worst movies of the summer. Here are some other rotten tomatoes.

1) Battleship
2) Snow White (Huntsman)
3) Expendables 2
4) Prometheus.

Expendables 2 far exceeded in other movie, probably in history, in cheese. I'm just not a big fan of an overabundance of cheese in a movie.
post #93 of 117 Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I'm just not a big fan of an overabundance of cheese.
Nor am I, unless it's a well aged gruyere with a good cabernet sauvignon.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #94 of 117 Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I watched it tonight with some free BluRay movie cash with the wife. I liked some of the action scenes, but thought the plot was really moronic. As Matt mentioned, I think that JCVD was criminally underused as a villain. He just seemed to be there in sunglasses and telling others what to do. Chuck had some funny lines, but just seemed to show up with no rhyme or reason. Jet had a great introductory sequence and Statham had a few decent scenes as well. Randy was almost not even in the movie.

I thought the first Expendables was fun and this one was just OK.
post #95 of 117 Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just watched this last night and I give it thumbs up. I'm very,..very surprised reading all the hate on this. I hated,,hated the 1st one.

1) This one looked and felt 100x better than the 1st one right off the bat, which I found later in the credits it was dir by Simon West. I don't know who did the 1st but it was very amateurish

2) The dialogue and script was much better. There's still some cheesy stuff but it wasn't nearly mind numbing stupid and cliche as the 1st one

3) The acting was better, thanks to a better script probably. There was more purpose, story and structure. The 1st one I had no idea WTF they were up to except pat each other on the back.

4) Lastly, it was just entertaining and they got down to business right away instead of giving each other hand jobs and admiring each themselves like in the 1st one which I could not tolerate and hit the eject button after an hour

Yeah, so I liked it I think even more than the A-Team. I have no idea how can you hated this one yet liked the 1st one.
post #96 of 117 Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

1) This one looked and felt 100x better than the 1st one right off the bat, which I found later in the credits it was dir by Simon West. I don't know who did the 1st but it was very amateurish

Sylvester Stallone directed the first one, which I liked. I haven't seen The Expendables 2 yet but, knowing what to expect, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.
post #97 of 117 Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'll put it this way...this movie is no masterpiece by any stretch, but I still thought it was fun and entertaining. It's an interesting and unique formula with the weathered action-movie hero cast, and they are drawing upon 30 yrs of pop action-movie culture, which feels redeeming, imo. I can only say, they've earned the right to do it, so have at it.

I'll introduce an interesting perspective to this...it can be argued that this movie is as mind-numbing and banal as the ilk of Tomb Raider, Ultraviolet, and Aeon Flux. I really hated those movies, and felt zero connection to any sort of drama or intensity in their respective storylines. E2, otoh, I did enjoy. It has "heart", if I were to describe it. I don't know why I would distinguish it apart from those other examples, but it is definitely worthy of being on a different level, imo.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #98 of 117 Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ blind bought it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree 100% with you, they just have fun doing these Expendables movies and they're very entertaining. Jet Li was underused though, hopefully he's gonna be more involved in the next one (is he 'semi-retired'? I read somewhere that he wasn't doing many movies anymore). I liked watching Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger together, poking fun at their respective one-liners...
post #99 of 117 Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Watched the rental bluray yesterday. Lossy 5.1 audio...

I agree with most criticism and compliments of this movie. smile.gif

It is a pretty fun action flick with great, old, iconic stars and a TON of plot holes and convenient circumstances. But, as a rental, is easier to just let the bad stuff slide by. I thought JCVD was great in his under utilized role and most of Arnies scenes were cringeworthy. As an Arnie fan I hate to say thay but...

All in all I enjoyed it.

Anyone notice Liam Helmsworth? With his half beard, he really reminds me of Seth Rogen so was hard to take his lines seriously. tongue.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #100 of 117 Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

It is a pretty fun action flick with great, old, iconic stars and a TON of plot holes and convenient circumstances. But, as a rental, is easier to just let the bad stuff slide by. I thought JCVD was great in his under utilized role and most of Arnies scenes were cringeworthy. As an Arnie fan I hate to say thay but...

I tend to agree, but he was still fun to watch. If you have a chance watch the gag reel and see Van Damme who keeps forgetting his lines, now that was cringeworthy. biggrin.gif Although he's cool when he does his moves! ...Oh and I like Jason Statham with his knives!
post #101 of 117 Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I tend to agree, but he was still fun to watch. If you have a chance watch the gag reel and see Van Damme who keeps forgetting his lines, now that was cringeworthy. biggrin.gif Although he's cool when he does his moves! ...Oh and I like Jason Statham with his knives![/quote]

JS was solid in this, granted he does the same thing in every movie, but it always looks cool. smile.gif

Kind of got me thinking, who would win in a real fight JCVD or Statham at similar ages? I'm thinking JS, but JC's kicks are a thing of beauty.

post #102 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

Kind of got me thinking, who would win in a real fight JCVD or Statham at similar ages? I'm thinking JS, but JC's kicks are a thing of beauty.

Van Damme is a dancer. Statham would throw the smackdown on him. This movie kicks ass from beginning to end.cool.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #103 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought JCVD was great in his under utilized role and most of Arnies scenes were cringeworthy. As an Arnie fan I hate to say thay but...
All in all I enjoyed it.
That goes to show being a top actor in this bizz takes a lot work, practice and dedication just like a professional tennis player who took couple years hiatus off. Remember how long Agassi it took for him to get his game and mental back in form and become #1 again after falling to below 100 ranking and playing in the minor league.

While Statham has filled the void left by Arnie, the Govenator was busy with other things like screwing CA's economy and the nanny. And it's going to take several films to get back in the shape and form he had in True Lies. You could already tell back when he's was leaving how crappy the acting was in Terminator 3. Physically it might be too late, but pray to god his acting will improve because T3 was horrid. The Last Stand looks better and back to his old self but still needs a lot of work.
post #104 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Physically it might be too late, but pray to god his acting will improve because T3 was horrid.

Are you implying that his acting was good before T3? Arnold has always been a bigger-than-life action movie star, not an actor.
post #105 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you implying that his acting was good before T3? Arnold has always been a bigger-than-life action movie star, not an actor.

He could at least deliver single line dialogue with the right tone and timing. Expendables 2 he was trying too hard. Everything was too quick and forced when the line called for a confident, slow delivery. Still, was cool to see him but he needs to study Clint Eastwood movies of the last decade or so to see how an older actor can still get it done. Clint was 78 for Gran Torino and Arnold is 65 now but I would swear their ages are reversed if you see these two movies.

post #106 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Van Damme is a dancer. Statham would throw the smackdown on him. This movie kicks ass from beginning to end.cool.gif

I am changing my vote to JCVD. After googling, he has an extensive competitive fighting resume from 1976 to 82. Statham was on the British diving team as well as being trained in martial arts. I'll take a guy that has competed in fighting rather than a former diver...tongue.gif

post #107 of 117 Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Just watched this last night and enjoyed it more that the first one, good popcorn flick that has no problem taking a few jabs at itself.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #108 of 117 Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
I liked it.

Not enough Terry Crews, I'll remember this s*it at Christmas.
Not enough JCVD as a bad guy.
post #109 of 117 Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Loved this movie, action filmmakers should take notice how it should be done.

The Hun
post #110 of 117 Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well he was passable and believable to some point, yes. And that's enough for action movies,..and he was quite good with comedy with Twins as well. There was a great script plus Danny Devito which of course helped a lot.

But like I said right around he was beginning his governor life which was T3 you can easily tell his focus was just about gone and I just could not take that bad of acting...which was as you say never strong anyways. And with the 1st Expendables he was still out of it, the 2nd one a little better but still very, very rusty. And from the trailer of the Last Stand he's not anywhere near 100% form yet, it's going to be a while now that he's older and slower.
post #111 of 117 Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
This was a pretty decent action flick. Especially if you are old enough when these dudes dominated the 80's and 90's.

I like the film length at about 90 minutes and JCVD was excellent. he really does make a great villian.
post #112 of 117 Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Loved this movie, action filmmakers should take notice how it should be done.

They should take notice by not having so much cheese.
post #113 of 117 Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

They should take notice by not having so much cheese.
Maybe you like a different kind of cheese, as there are plenty of that with the so called A list action directors.

The Hun
post #114 of 117 Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Exp. 2 was one of the worst movies of the summer. Here are some other rotten tomatoes.
1) Battleship
2) Snow White (Huntsman)
3) Expendables 2
4) Prometheus.
Expendables 2 far exceeded in other movie, probably in history, in cheese. I'm just not a big fan of an overabundance of cheese in a movie.

Wow, totally agree with that list (haven't seen Snow White yet). All three I only watched halfway through and then turned off.
post #115 of 117 Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Watched this last night I really enjoyed it. It was good seeing them all together. I hope they make a third.

Frank

post #116 of 117 Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Watched this last night I really enjoyed it. It was good seeing them all together. I hope they make a third.

+1.

I really enjoyed this movie. Looking forward to a 3rd installment as well.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #117 of 117 Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

+1.
I really enjoyed this movie. Looking forward to a 3rd installment as well.

The end bit when they're all together was cool. Have to say Chuck Norris looks good for his age.

Frank

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page