Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81519

Looks like our action star Statham is cranking em out like fast food burgers but that's fine with me. Right after the Killer elite in sept, comes Safe in Oct with another action thriller. Then after that will be another action thriller Parker... dir by Taylor hacford who did one of my favs The Devil's Advocate. The guy is Mr action and his films are very entertaining so Im fine with it just as long they don't get cheap and his career doesn't end up like Van Damme...that would be not be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can guarantee that the cover will have jason statham with a handgun. Like. Ever. Other. Single. Movie. He's. In.

Except one he had a sword.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm ready to see him play some other roles. I mean, he's great at what he does and all, but I'd really like to see him be more than just an action grunt. Look at his roles in Snatch, Revolver, and London and you can see he definitely has more potential than derivative roles like this.
post #4 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The character he played in Revolver is pretty much the same thing he's done with crank, transporter, mechanic. etc etc. The victim done wrong action hero looking for revenge with a .45...sound familiar?

When a studio finds a cash cow action star, they're going to milk him until there's nothing left.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

This list needs to be updated. There's many more recent ones, too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281304

I will continually pass on Jason Statham movies.

Well, maybe not the Cranks. Those are cool.
post #6 of 31 Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

This list needs to be updated. There's many more recent ones, too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281304

I will continually pass on Jason Statham movies.

Yeah, and I'm sure we all are shakily awaiting for all the updates, that no doubt will add to our boring lives, and lift our spirits.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #7 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I had the misfortune to watch this turkey last night. This might appeal to those who like shoot-um up video games but it's pretty lackluster and one note as a movie.

Is The Bank Job the only decent movie Statham has been in?
post #8 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I had the misfortune to watch this turkey last night. This might appeal to those who like shoot-um up video games but it's pretty lackluster and one note as a movie.
Is The Bank Job the only decent movie Statham has been in?

I like the Transporter series, and Snatch, and The Italian Job, and War with Jet Li, and of course the recent Expendables franchise, even The Mechanic wasn't too bad. I was looking forward to Safe, pity!
post #9 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Some JS movies I enjoyed (some more than others):

2011 Killer Elite

2011 Blitz

2011 The Mechanic

2009 Crank: High Voltage

2008 Transporter 3

2008 The Bank Job

2007 War

2006 Crank

2005 Transporter 2

2005 Chaos

2004 Collateral

2003 The Italian Job

2002 The Transporter

2001 The One

2000 Snatch

1998 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 31 Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ ^ ^ That's a pretty comprehensive list there that looks like his film resume and seems more than "some" wink.gif. I just watched it last night and it was pretty good. It started out kinda like a cable movie with cardboard characters like that old chinese goon boss that you've seen in every chinatown mob movies ( btw can't they find another old asian guy besides him? ).

The plot got really thick and heavy in the end but overall if you like his stuff then you'll like this. I thought it was better than the Mechanic and 100x better than Killer Elite which I didn't like at all...YMMV.
post #11 of 31 Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

^ ^ ^ That's a pretty comprehensive list there that looks like his film resume and seems more than "some" wink.gif. I just watched it last night and it was pretty good. It started out kinda like a cable movie with cardboard characters like that old chinese goon boss that you've seen in every chinatown mob movies ( btw can't they find another old asian guy besides him? ).
The plot got really thick and heavy in the end but overall if you like his stuff then you'll like this. I thought it was better than the Mechanic and 100x better than Killer Elite which I didn't like at all...YMMV.
JS seems to be a modern day Eastwood or Bronson or, possibly, Willis.
Gritty, foul-tempered, a none-orater, quick on the trigger....very much Old School.

post #12 of 31 Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, he's very much a workhorse action movie actor.

Although to be fair, Eastwood attempted to break out of that typecasting. He eventually negotiated that for every Dirty Harry film, he would be able to do something like Play Misty for Me. And now he directs and acts in dramas mostly.

Bronson, on the other hand, well, I knew an actor who had done some work with him, and I asked him what he (Bronson) was like. He replied, "like cement." Just a wall to bounce lines off of. Which in some ways was fine for his characters.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 31 Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If you want to see JS is an entirely different role rent "London". You may not even recognize him. And as a bonus you get to see more of Jessica Beal. biggrin.gif

I enjoyed "Safe".
post #14 of 31 Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I like the Transporter series, and Snatch, and The Italian Job, and War with Jet Li, and of course the recent Expendables franchise, even The Mechanic wasn't too bad. I was looking forward to Safe, pity!
Our views may differ but War was not one of JS better films to most of his fans so if you like that then it's safe to say you would enjoy Safe as well. If you liked War with Jet and don't intend on seeing Safe based a few bad reviews then that would be a big mistake. You know eventually down the road you'll see it one way or another and be upset you waited that long.
post #15 of 31 Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am very much looking forward to JS next film "Parker" due out in Jan which is dir by none other than the great Taylor Hackford who did one of my all time fav Devil's Advocate. JS will costar with J-Lo in this one so this looks like it's shaping up to be one of his better ones.
post #16 of 31 Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I just watched it last night and it was pretty good. It started out kinda like a cable movie with cardboard characters like that old chinese goon boss that you've seen in every chinatown mob movies ( btw can't they find another old asian guy besides him? ).

James Hong, the quintessential Chinese actor, 82 years old. For me his most memorable roles were in Big Trouble in Little China and Blade Runner. Long history in acting going back to the mid 50's, he's pretty much done it all. However I agree, he was wasted in this part - a cartoon villain anyone could have done.

I watched Safe last night and it crossed its T's and dotted its I's as far a Statham actioner is concerned. But the storyline was too convoluted to be believable. A good rental but not worthy of adding to my JS collection.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #17 of 31 Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 20
That dude is a good action hero. Safe was fun for what it is, pure kick butt action and JS does it well. He fillls a void left vacant by Steven Seagull. It gets 4 stars on the Manly Man movie rating.
post #18 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wonder how much does JS make per film? He has such a cushy job, basically he makes about 3 films a year and they're pretty much the the same guy with a gun. I mean how easy is that. Cruise and Bale they have to contend with a different character, lose weight/gain weight, go into training, get into character, and do that all over for a new film

But JS can do these roles now in his sleep, and he doesn't even have to shave most of the time. God, I would love to have a job like this. Talk about job security..cool.gif
post #19 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I wonder how much does JS make per film? He has such a cushy job, basically he makes about 3 films a year and they're pretty much the the same guy with a gun. I mean how easy is that. Cruise and Bale they have to contend with a different character, lose weight/gain weight, go into training, get into character, and do that all over for a new film
But JS can do these roles now in his sleep, and he doesn't even have to shave most of the time. God, I would love to have a job like this. Talk about job security..cool.gif

Bale and Cruise are not experts in martial arts like JS. They need make up, clever scripts and special cinematography to make them appear as tough guys. Cruise for most part, like Brad Pitt made his mark playing the pretty boy roles. Now once these guys start getting older and fatter they can't play those roles in anymore, so they have to cross over into the tough guy genre, where they can't compete with a guy like JS. He makes manly man movies.

Bale is a really talented actor, he is above JS and Cruise in that regard, he is true actor, not a pretty boy or a tough guy.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wait,,come again. Cruise and Bale are not marital arts experts? Guess you're not familiar with Equilibrium or the Batman films. Bale has done more fighting in those films than JS and keep in mind JS needs uses a gun not martial arts. And as for Mr Cruise, guess you haven't seen any of MI films either. Looks like you have some catching up to do,..start with Equilibrium and I'm sure you'll rescind your post.
post #21 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Whether or not someone is a martial arts "expert" isn't important.
We have seen over and over again it isn't a necessary skill to have for creating an illusion of such in a movie.wink.gif

post #22 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Whether or not someone is a martial arts "expert" isn't important.
We have seen over and over again it isn't a necessary skill to have for creating an illusion of such in a movie.wink.gif

Well having true Martial Art skills make the person playing the part more believeable or authentic. No one actually believe those pretty boys are tough guys.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Wait,,come again. Cruise and Bale are not marital arts experts? Guess you're not familiar with Equilibrium or the Batman films. Bale has done more fighting in those films than JS and keep in mind JS needs uses a gun not martial arts. And as for Mr Cruise, guess you haven't seen any of MI films either. Looks like you have some catching up to do,..start with Equilibrium and I'm sure you'll rescind your post.

I've seen Equilibrim, a truly underrated movie, however, he still can't touch JS as an action star. Guys like Van Damme, Seagull and JS, they may not be good actors, but they kick serious butt in movies.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Well having true Martial Art skills make the person playing the part more believeable or authentic. No one actually believe those pretty boys are tough guys.
1. Movies are not real.
2. Since everyone understands #1, it only comes done to the quality of the fakery.
3. See the above...

post #25 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Cruise and Bale are not marital arts experts?

No they aren’t. Bale and Cruise are actors ‘playing’ in those roles. JS is a trained martial artist. Big difference.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is straight from JS mouth in an Usa TODAY interview and note the interviewer said "studying" and not attained any mastery or competed which would show he is a martial arts expert. Studying is does not mean expert.

Menomonee Falls, WI: Did you get martial arts training specifically for this movie? Or have you been studying martial arts on your own, and if so what style?

Jason Statham: All styles from Win Chun to karate to kickboxing. Corey Yuen doesn't want to make too much of a specific style, and wants to incorporate different styles.

He has studied and dabbled in these arts ok, he never emphasized or implied that he's a martial arts expert. You have to have at least a green or brown belt to be minimally considered anything relevant in the field. He would have said if he did or Wiki would have noted it. Now he has spent more time in diving and would be considered more a diving expert than a martial arts expert as said here from wiki: Jones introduced him to soccer, and Statham went on to play for the local grammar school (1978–83), which he had attended since the age of eleven, a passion that he shared with diving.[14] He practised daily in perfecting his diving techniques – in particular, he finished 12th in the World Championships in 1992.[15] He was also a member of Britain's National Diving Squad for twelve years.[

Cruise, Bale, and Keanu all have dabbled and studied various martial arts for their work in The last samurai, The Matrix, and Batman. They have as much credentials in "martial art's" as JS so don't act like he's some black belt master or sensei. Don't even go there
post #27 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Prior to The Transporter (2002) he already had a background in martial arts which enabled him to perform his own fight sequences.

Well trained in Mixed Martial Arts and is an expert in Kickboxing.

[on performing in action movies] “I've spent all those years learning how to do certain skills, and then that competitive spirit kicks in and you want to do the stunts. Basically, it's the the male competitive ego at work.”

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005458/bio

In interviews, Statham’s stated that when he was younger, he was inspired by the likes of Bruce Lee (who isn’t?) to take up the martial arts.

Once Jason Statham was thrust into the spotlight, he realized how important it was to maintain his perfectly shaped body thanks to his previous experience with the martial arts.

http://www.jasonstathamworkoutz.com/jason-statham-martial-arts/

From what you quoted.
Quote:
Menomonee Falls, WI: Did you get martial arts training specifically for this movie? Or have you been studying martial arts on your own, and if so what style?

Jason Statham: : All styles from Win Chun to karate to kickboxing. Corey Yuen doesn't want to make too much of a specific style, and wants to incorporate different styles.

He answered in the affirmative for studying on his own.

If you think Cruise is an expert martial artist, then you must also think he is an expert fighter pilot. tongue.gifwink.gif
post #28 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25

¿Quien es mas Macho, Tom Cruise o Jason Statham?

post #29 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

If you think Cruise is an expert martial artist, then you must also think he is an expert fighter pilot. tongue.gifwink.gif
He is a Top Gun....I saw it in a movie.
But he put aside his helmet and devoted himself to being an awesome Top Gun Thetan.

post #30 of 31 Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeez Louise, who isn't inspired by bruce lee growing up? I bet I'm more inspired than JS but does that make me a martial arts expert?

And for the record Cruise has done more dangerous stunts in films tons more than JS and that is a FACT! And Keanu spent more time training Kung Fu with Yuen po wing for the matrix films than JS ever has but that still doesn't make him a martial arts expert.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page