The Hunger Games - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 267 Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, finished the last page of Mockingjay. nice twist to the ending. game on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 267 Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The premise is weak and tired, but with all the cheers it must have more to it.

Do I correctly infer that you have not read the book? Just askin'.
post #63 of 267 Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Do I correctly infer that you have not read the book? Just askin'.

Correct. Know nothing about this film or the books, only what I have read here so far.

The Hun
post #64 of 267 Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Correct. Know nothing about this film or the books, only what I have read here so far.

Had I not read the books, something I did only because of hectoring from my daughter, I suspect that I would have written off this film as a Twilight knockoff. Trust me, The Hunger Games trilogy has a far sounder foundation than does the Twilight saga or the many other tired teenybopper fantasies. In fact I have so much hope for this film I pre bought my ticket to an IMAX showing on Friday, the day it opens.
post #65 of 267 Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Had I not read the books, something I did only because of hectoring from my daughter, I suspect that I would have written off this film as a Twilight knockoff. Trust me, The Hunger Games trilogy has a far sounder foundation than does the Twilight saga or the many other tired teenybopper fantasies. In fact I have so much hope for this film I pre bought my ticket to an IMAX showing on Friday, the day it opens.

Well I haven't read the books but I need to know why the buzz. I'll be going in with low expectations.

Frank

post #66 of 267 Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
No need to worry, this thing is still 100% RT with 20 reviews.
post #67 of 267 Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was referring to the class warfare" evil rich people will control the world and enslave the rest of us" scenario , not so much the teenybopper fantasies, but now that you mentioned that, yeah don't care much for that either. BTW I'm not writing this film off, just not all that excited so far, Of course it can change once I see it.

The Hun
post #68 of 267 Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was referring to the class warfare" evil rich people will control the world and enslave the rest of us" scenario , not so much the teenybopper fantasies, but now that you mentioned that, yeah don't care much for that either. BTW I'm not writing this film off, just not all that excited so far, Of course it can change once I see it.

I suspect you have nothing to fear. Like you, I detest preachy "Message Stories," especially those depicting all well to do people as evil and all poor people as good and decent. I saw none of that in The Hunger Games trilogy and don't expect to see it in the movie, either. The stories are popular entertainment fantasies. If they were meant to convey any sort of political message, it was too well concealed to upset me. These are Ripping Tales about an intrepid young girl and her acts of resistance to the manipulative Capitol's plans to use her as a political pawn. They are a lot of fun but I think not to be taken seriously.
post #69 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I would love to say more. My embargo date ends on Tuesday.

The movie works the way you described it, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

WELLLL, we're waiting So what did you think overall, etc.?
post #70 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I detest preachy "Message Stories," especially those depicting all well to do people as evil and all poor people as good and decent.

Huh?
I have NEVER seen a movie where ALL are one way or the other.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #71 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Huh?
I have NEVER seen a movie where ALL are one way or the other.

Nevertheless, I think you take my point. If I wanted preaching, I could go to church. Anyway, I'll be very much surprised if there is any of that in the movie. I certainly didn't notice it in the book.
post #72 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

I was referring to the class warfare" evil rich people will control the world and enslave the rest of us" scenario.

What you're describing is the plotline of half the sci-fi, espionage, or conspiracy thrillers ever written. The other half have some other evildoer calling the shots, but there has to be an antagonist for the protagonist to struggle and ultimately triumph against. Evil rich people make believable villains since they have the power and means to do morally unethical things that sometimes affect real people's lives in an unpleasant fashion.
post #73 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post

WELLLL, we're waiting So what did you think overall, etc.?

Ok, here's my review:

The Hunger Games: Riveting adaptation

How many times has Hollywood butchered novels when adapting them into films? It's fair to say countless times. The Hunger Games novel by Suzanne Collins has sold 800,000 copies around the world, making expectations for the movie adaptation climb to dizzying heights.

Collin's story tells the tale of a future in which the Capitol of an oppressive North America selects a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts to fight to the death in The Hunger Games tournament. We follow an anti-social, skilled archer, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) who takes the place of her younger sister when she is chosen to compete.

This is one of the first blockbuster adaptations in recent memory to be, not only faithful to the source material, but also a fantastic film.

The story gives the audience something to sink their teeth into, alongside characters to route for and against. It isn't peddling to the masses by giving into the romantic aspect of the story. Instead, it allows a natural progression that feels organic and true to human nature.

Jennifer Lawrence is one of Hollywood's finest talents at the moment and she brings every bit of her acting arsenal to our heroine. Her empathetic performance shows incredible range and raised the level of acting from all around her. Her cast members, including Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, and Wes Bentley all deliver the necessary goods in spades.

The one major criticism is in the direction. Gary Ross did everything a director should do except competently shoot the action scenes. Even the simple things like walking quickly or moving through a crowd were riddled with shaky camera work. The actual battle royal was impossible to decipher with his extreme close-up, earthquake-worthy shooting style.

Regardless of this foible, this movie does everything Twilight should have done and will captivate both male and female audiences around the world.

Bottom Line: I'm already itching for the sequel!

Grade A-

David Budo
post #74 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

David -- Thanks for your review. I will see the IMAX version with my college student grandson on Friday. I've had high hopes for the film ever since I first learned about it because of its stellar cast. I couldn't imagine a better choice to play Katniss than the very talented Jennifer Lawrence and the rest of the film's large ensemble cast is filled with fine actors. I am really looking forward to seeing it.
post #75 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

David -- Thanks for your review. I will see the IMAX version with my college student grandson on Friday. I've had high hopes for the film ever since I first learned about it because of its stellar cast. I couldn't imagine a better choice to play Katniss than the very talented Jennifer Lawrence and the rest of the film's large ensemble cast is filled with fine actors. I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Agreed. Jennifer Lawrence may be the best young actress in Hollywood today. She makes every performance seem effortless.

I can't wait to read the reactions of avs members. I don't post as much as some, but I do read an awful lot.

I'm taking my girlfriend to see it, but not in IMAX. The action scenes will make her sick.

I know I stress it in the review, but it really is a shame that the action was so poorly shot. I wonder if Ross just doesn't know how to shoot action, or if it was done that way for sensorship reasons. It really is some of the worst shaky, quick cut, close up camera work I've ever seen.

David Budo
post #76 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thx for the review David, overall great to hear. Will hopefully see this within the next 2 weekends if the Mrs and I can get out and one of the grandmas watches our little guy for us.
post #77 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Good review. Tempted to see in imax or is it fine to wtach it in a normal theater

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #78 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
how does this look in 3d?

is this a 3d must see or just the run of the mill stuff we usually get?

neflixis our nemesis
post #79 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Pokekevin. You can watch this in a regular theater. The IMAX sound would be great, but an image that big with that much motion... Not the best recipe.

Mr. Wally, this one is not in 3D, only 2D.

David Budo
post #80 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suspect you have nothing to fear. Like you, I detest preachy "Message Stories," especially those depicting all well to do people as evil and all poor people as good and decent. I saw none of that in The Hunger Games trilogy and don't expect to see it in the movie, either. The stories are popular entertainment fantasies. If they were meant to convey any sort of political message, it was too well concealed to upset me. These are Ripping Tales about an intrepid young girl and her acts of resistance to the manipulative Capitol's plans to use her as a political pawn. They are a lot of fun but I think not to be taken seriously.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to see this now, I might even opt for the books via Kindle.

The Hun
post #81 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

What you're describing is the plotline of half the sci-fi, espionage, or conspiracy thrillers ever written.

Which is why it is a tired cliche.

Quote:

The other half have some other evildoer calling the shots, but there has to be an antagonist for the protagonist to struggle and ultimately triumph against.

You don't say...... LOL
Quote:

Evil rich people make believable villains since they have the power and means to do morally unethical things that sometimes affect real people's lives in an unpleasant fashion.

Granted , but once again that's not my point, gwsat did get it however.

The Hun
post #82 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

Granted , but once again that's not my point, gswat did get it however.

Well, he's a bright young man.
post #83 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, he's a bright young man.

Partner, you are far too kind. It's been so long since anybody could accurately call be "young," the last time may have been before many if not most of the posters here were born.
post #84 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The film is 142 min so that's great to know...IF it is as amazing as the reviews coming in so far say it is so I can stretch out my enjoyment. I hate when there is a truly good movie and it's only the standard 90 min.
post #85 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Ok, here's my review:

The Hunger Games: Riveting adaptation

How many times has Hollywood butchered novels when adapting them into films? It's fair to say countless times. The Hunger Games novel by Suzanne Collins has sold 800,000 copies around the world, making expectations for the movie adaptation climb to dizzying heights.

Collin's story tells the tale of a future in which the Capitol of an oppressive North America selects a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts to fight to the death in The Hunger Games tournament. We follow an anti-social, skilled archer, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) who takes the place of her younger sister when she is chosen to compete.

This is one of the first blockbuster adaptations in recent memory to be, not only faithful to the source material, but also a fantastic film.

The story gives the audience something to sink their teeth into, alongside characters to route for and against. It isn't peddling to the masses by giving into the romantic aspect of the story. Instead, it allows a natural progression that feels organic and true to human nature.

Jennifer Lawrence is one of Hollywood's finest talents at the moment and she brings every bit of her acting arsenal to our heroine. Her empathetic performance shows incredible range and raised the level of acting from all around her. Her cast members, including Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, and Wes Bentley all deliver the necessary goods in spades.

The one major criticism is in the direction. Gary Ross did everything a director should do except competently shoot the action scenes. Even the simple things like walking quickly or moving through a crowd were riddled with shaky camera work. The actual battle royal was impossible to decipher with his extreme close-up, earthquake-worthy shooting style.

Regardless of this foible, this movie does everything Twilight should have done and will captivate both male and female audiences around the world.

Bottom Line: I'm already itching for the sequel!

Grade A-

Thanks for the review David. I'm going to see this on Tuesday an hopefully I find it enjoyable like everyone else.

Frank

post #86 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

The film is 142 min so that's great to know...IF it is as amazing as the reviews coming in so far say it is so I can stretch out my enjoyment. I hate when there is a truly good movie and it's only the standard 90 min.

Maybe I should go gold class better seating for a film of that length.

Frank

post #87 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Agreed. Some films warrant a 90 minute runtime and others, namely the movies influenced by studios, could use added backstory, or character development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks for the review David. I'm going to see this on Tuesday an hopefully I find it enjoyable like everyone else.

My pleasure. I look forward to your take.

David Budo
post #88 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Maybe I should go gold class better seating for a film of that length.

You're First Class Franin (FCF). Is there any other way for you to see a movie?

I'm halfway through the book. My oldest, who's read all three books multiple times, has already said we are seeing it opening day. That gives me less than 2 days to finish it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #89 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I'm halfway through the book. My oldest, who's read all three books multiple times, has already said we are seeing it opening day. That gives me less than 2 days to finish it.

From what you read what you think waboman?

Frank

post #90 of 267 Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yes at home

Frank

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page