The Hunger Games - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I read all 3 books but can't believe they're trying to milk 4 movies out of 3.

There was no surprise for me since the movie really follows the book plot wise. Shaky cam - you should have seen Blair Witch or Cloverfield. I do not consider this a must own but it's much much better than Twilight. These days, besides the plot, I like to see excellent pq and audio before I buy. Acting is fine for these kids.

I do have one question - what and who (a woman) sang the song during the closing credit?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

I do have one question - what and who (a woman) sang the song during the closing credit?

There are 2 songs in the closing credits:
"Abraham's Daughter" by Arcade Fire
& "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift.
post #183 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I know Taylor Swift's voice so it must be Abraham's Daughter by Fire.

Thanks.
post #184 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it but did wonder if a foreign company would have done the film would have some scenes be depicted differently.

Well, you can watch Battle Royale if you want to see more violence. The violence in HG is totally toned down compared to BR. I watched BR on BD after watching HG. Personally I think BR is a way better movie overall if your into action.
post #185 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Saw Hunger Games this afternoon. To me, it's sorta like "dystopian-scifi" for the tween crowd; almost a mash-up of Logan's Run and The Fifth Element. Some of the costumes were like, crazy.

Don't know what the tech-specs are for HG, but I suspect it was shot digitally and film-projected. I could at least see some film artifacts. Sound was OK, but PQ was quite stunning. Did like Newton-Howard's score.

Anyways, my daughter liked it and so did I. It also reminded me a bit of the first installment of Twilight, which is a guilty-pleasure for me. Though personally, I wouldn't let anyone under 12 see this. And I'm sure there'll be a sequel; I could see it rolling over in Donald Sutherland's mind..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #186 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Thanks.

The final song in the credits is Kingdom Come by The Civil Wars. Joy Williams is the female vocalist.
post #187 of 267 Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I very much enjoyed the movie but this is the first time I've ever been annoyed by shaky cam. I'm usually a fan of the style but its use in HG, especially in the first half, was a real distraction. I can understand the idea of using it to hide some of the violence but it was still frustrating. Speaking of violence, I really wish they had the balls to show more of it. A true adaptation of the book would be an R rated movie.
post #188 of 267 Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Saw it last night although I rarely go to the theater to see a movie anymore - thus the power of unrelenting hype.

Have to agree with everyone else here on one key point - the shaky cam, quick cutting, hyper-close-up techniques were overused to the point of distraction, almost nausea-inducing at times. I understand that it was used during the hand-to-hand combat scenes to "soften" the impact of kids killing kids and make that action virtually incomprehensible to the viewer. I get that, although I don't think it was necessary to go as far overboard with it as they did. They could have pushed the envelope a little further and still gotten the PG-13 rating they needed, IMO.

But there were other times it was used, as during the opening scenes of the movie set in District 12, where it was completely unnecessary and unwarranted. I hope they take some of this seemingly universal criticism of the movie and apply it to the sequels. Rent a freaking steadycam, for godsake. As I understand it, the same director is contracted to do at least the next sequel so I'm not hopeful. He probably thinks it's brilliant.

One thing I need some help on, perhaps from those who have read the books.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
What exactly was the area where they were fighting in anyway? Was it a completely artificial construct? They could create firestorms and fireballs and snarling dog-like creatures out of thin air a la the classic Star Trek episode "Shore Leave"...? That's some pretty sophisticated technology that seemed out of place in a world where they still used trains to travel around the country. And why would they put their tributes -- who were supposed to be fighting each other -- in mortal jeopardy with those shenanigans? Kinda' feels like cheating, since the Game Masters could thusly get rid of any Tribute at any time if they felt like it. No fair!

ok, like archi the hype got to me and went to see it at local ciniplex over the weekend for $5 matinee. not a huge screen and we made sure to sit in the back.

yep shakey cam is there and it is annoying, but i found it less bothersome as i was already prepared to deal with it.

my thoughts, well the basic story is totally derivative from running man, it's just kids instead of adults so why the author gets so much credit is a mystery to me (caveat, have not read books). jennifer lawrence does a wonderful job and really carries the story. not ultraviolent nor is it overly toned down violence. just enough shown to make the plot work.

i was pleasantly surprised at how good the movie turned out. nearly worthy of the hype. woody was great as always. fairly predictable plot line and i agree with archi's spoiler comment as that seemed unfair and unnecessary, and like the running games, intended to cause a well surviving tribute to fail.

first hour dragged a bit since you know what's coming but second hour was really fun. bottom line this is an old fashioned classic action movie. you go in, buy into the plot, identify with and care about the characters, and hope for a
happy ending. this is a good not great movie and i'm glad i saw it and didn't wait for the bd. will rent when available on bd.

by the way, the show we went to at 3:00 saturday was completely sold out.
not one empty seat, they even had to do the scoot over to any empty seat thing. this flick must be killing it at the box.

rating 4 out of 5.

neflixis our nemesis
post #189 of 267 Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

still #1 for 3 straight weeks.

neflixis our nemesis
post #190 of 267 Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

still #1 for 3 straight weeks.

And the thing is, it can seriously win the next 2 weeks as well. It will be close next weekend, but the weekend after that is squat in terms of movies. It would probably fall short the final weekend with "5 Year Engagement" or "The Raven" taking the crown assuming they get decent reviews. The weekend after that it would definitely lose to "The Avengers"
post #191 of 267 Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Still yet to see it I was meant to go but plans never go the way they should do.

Frank

post #192 of 267 Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Still yet to see it I was meant to go but plans never go the way they should do.

Haymitch says you're not trying hard enough, Franin.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #193 of 267 Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Haymitch says you're not trying hard enough, Franin.

Im trying wabo im trying

Frank

post #194 of 267 Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Looks like the folks who got nauseated will be happy about no more shaky waky cam...

It comes as unfortunate news, then, that Ross has elected not to return to the hugely successfull franchise. Lionsgate has released the following statement from the director:

"Despite recent speculation in the media, and after difficult but sincere consideration, I have decided not to direct 'Catching Fire'. As a writer and a director, I simply don't have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule.

I loved making 'The Hunger Games' - it was the happiest experience of my professional life. Lionsgate was supportive of me in a manner that few directors ever experience in a franchise: they empowered me to make the film I wanted to make and backed the movie in a way that requires no explanation beyond the remarkable results. And contrary to what has been reported, negotiations with Lionsgate have not been problematic. They have also been very understanding of me through this difficult decision.

I also cannot say enough about the people I worked with: Producer Nina Jacobson, a great collaborator and a true friend; the brilliant Suzanne Collins, who entrusted us with her most amazing and important story; the gifted and remarkable Jennifer Lawrence whose performance exceeded my wildest expectations, and the rest of the incredible cast, whom I am proud to call my friends.

To the fans I want to say thank you for your support your faith, your enthusiasm and your trust. Hard as this may be to understand I am trying to keep that trust with you. Thank you all. It's been a wonderful experience."

Lionsgate also issued the below statement of their own:

"We're very sorry that Gary Ross has chosen not to direct 'Catching Fire'. We were really looking forward to making the movie with him. He did an incredible job on the first film and we are grateful for his work. This will not be the end of our relationship, as we consider Ross to be part of the Lionsgate family and look forward to working with him in the future."
post #195 of 267 Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Just because they're changing directors doesn't mean the next guy won't use the shaky-cam crutch just as much. They've still got to deal with the inescapable restriction that, considering the target demographic, they can't clearly show kids killing kids. But many of us hope they could find a more inventive way of filming those scenes than inducing nausea in their audience.
post #196 of 267 Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Although I was put off by the shaky cam technique used in this film, I plan to see the second and third films, too, if they are made. There is a caveat, though. I will avoid either film until I am satisfied from what others say that their directors didn't make the same mistake Ross made.
post #197 of 267 Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

IMHO I think one of the reason they let him go is because so many complained about the shaky cam and the studios asked him if he can go easy on it in the sequel and he probably got offended and told them F u I'm not changing my style for anyone.

It just seems so all of a sudden esp when he was originally slated and ready to do the sequel. I just know something went down behind the curtains and creative differences came into play. YOu gotta admit the only negative feedback and there was a lot of it was about the shaky cam.
post #198 of 267 Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Are the other novels - and thus the movies based on them - also centered around the game? You can spoiler-tag it if you wish.

There are spoilers here which describe the general plot of the 2nd and third book.

Spoiler  

The second book is based on Katniss and Peeta's "victory tour" and another hunger games, though the tributes for that game are reaped from the previous winners, who are for the most part 20+ (some are elderly). The only children that enter the games are Katniss and Peeta and they don't get killed.

The third book has no hunger games but instead focuses on the rebellion/war that Katniss sparks by her actions in the 1st and 2nd book. There is only one plot important death of a child that is only seen briefly and from a distance.
post #199 of 267 Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

This I like, might even be better than the 1st one if it resembles anything like I am Legend. A little more sinister, darker, more adult like and hopefully less gimmicky shaky cam.

On the heels of the announcement earlier this month that writer/director Gary Ross will not be returning for The Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire, ComingSoon.net has learned that Francis Lawrence has officially been offered the job.

Catching Fire is currently planned for a November 22, 2013 release with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland and Lenny Kravitz among those who are all expected to return for the franchise sequel.
post #200 of 267 Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedy View Post

There aren't a lot of kid deaths in the 2nd and 3rd novels. Only the first really deals with that subject first hand.

I honestly don't know how they're even going to get Mockingjay on film with a PG-13 rating and still remain true to the book. Hopefully they won't do a re-write because there are scenes critical to the finale that I'd hate to see dumbed down.

Spoiler Alert:

Spoiler  
particularly the final capitol scene with the parachute bombs...
post #201 of 267 Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

For those like myself who haven't seen it, this one can't come fast enough and hope it will NOT be another let down like ghost protocol.

Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games juggernaut will arrive on home entertainment at 12:01 A.M. on Saturday, August 18, as the first film in Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games franchise, which has already grossed nearly $400 million at the North American box office and is approaching $650 million at the worldwide box office, debuts on 2-disc DVD (plus digital copy), 2-disc Blu-Ray (plus digital copy), VOD and digital download with three hours of previously unavailable bonus materials in the biggest home entertainment launch in Lionsgate’s history, the Company announced today.
post #202 of 267 Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

For those like myself who haven't seen it, this one can't come fast enough and hope it will NOT be another let down like ghost protocol.

Lionsgate's The Hunger Games juggernaut will arrive on home entertainment at 12:01 A.M. on Saturday, August 18, as the first film in Lionsgate's The Hunger Games franchise, which has already grossed nearly $400 million at the North American box office and is approaching $650 million at the worldwide box office, debuts on 2-disc DVD (plus digital copy), 2-disc Blu-Ray (plus digital copy), VOD and digital download with three hours of previously unavailable bonus materials in the biggest home entertainment launch in Lionsgate's history, the Company announced today.

I haven't seen it will give it a rent before buy.

Frank

post #203 of 267 Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
zoey67 -- Thanks for the heads up. Just checked at Amazon and learned that they don't have The Hunger Games BD available for preorder yet. I did request that Amazon email me when it is available for preorder. I suspect that won't be long in coming.
post #204 of 267 Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 PM

I just preordered the Bu-Ray from Amazon, plus a couple of DVDs to give as Christmas gifts. I have no idea if this movie is any good, and am making a blind buy based on the storyline - I like dystopian science fiction, the fact it was a blockbuster exceeding expectations - I guess that means something, and because Jennifer Lawrence was so good in Winter's Bone.
post #205 of 267 Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Should recieve mine tomorrow or Thursday bought it on a blind buy also, hopefully I will enjoy it.

Frank

post #206 of 267 Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

bought it on a blind buy also, hopefully I will enjoy it.
You have "larger attachments" (as David Hobbs would say) than I....
I'll be renting first.

The plot (as I read it) makes me think this may be designed for the Twilight crowd than others....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #207 of 267 Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Should recieve mine tomorrow or Thursday bought it on a blind buy also, hopefully I will enjoy it.

That's great, Franin. Looking forward to your thoughts. I'll be getting the Steelbook.biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You have "larger attachments" (as David Hobbs would say) than I....
I'll be renting first.
The plot (as I read it) makes me think this may be designed for the Twilight crowd than others....wink.gif

It's not that bad. At least they don't shimmer.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #208 of 267 Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

At least they don't shimmer.
Maybe they should?tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #209 of 267 Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Maybe they should?tongue.gif

No. Shimmering is bad. Don't make me call out the big gun.
biggrin.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #210 of 267 Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

No. Shimmering is bad. Don't make me call out the big gun. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
biggrin.gif

I dont mind twilight but I have to admit thats an awesome Photo.

Frank

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page