AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This got big hype?

I agree I can't believe it did. The film was ok but the hype surround it was silly. I must of gone in with really high expectations cause I came out not caring about it and not wanting to watch it anytime soon.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree I can't believe it did. The film was ok but the hype surround it was silly. I must of gone in with really high expectations cause I came out not caring about it and not wanting to watch it anytime soon.
- It was hyped because it was a young adult novel with violence and action for the boys and with a love triangle for the girls. Not because it was a revolutionary or particularly well written series. That being said, while the movie was very faithful to the source material, you do lose a lot in the movie since you're not constantly aware of the main character's thoughts and feelings.
post #243 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Any confirmation one way or the other on the audio on rental copies? Really hope it is not lossy!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #244 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- It was hyped because it was a young adult novel with violence and action for the boys and with a love triangle for the girls. Not because it was a revolutionary or particularly well written series. That being said, while the movie was very faithful to the source material, you do lose a lot in the movie since you're not constantly aware of the main character's thoughts and feelings.
The novels appealed to the not so young too. God knows I am living proof of that.smile.gif Because I had read and thoroughly enjoyed the books, I saw The Hunger Games in IMAX on the day it opened. Despite my disappointment with too much shaky cam and too many quick cuts, I liked it and preordered the BD from Amazon. It should arrive next week and I will report my impressions after I see it again.
post #245 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Any confirmation one way or the other on the audio on rental copies? Really hope it is not lossy!

Yes, it's been confirmed. The rental version is lossy DD. Same thing Summit/Lionsgate did with RED. They're forcing you to buy instead of rent.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #246 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

This got big hype? Only worth while aspect of this move was Elizabeth Banks... the rest of it was like a new spin on The Running Man with less humor, less violence, more CG, and more cheeeezzzzz.
were you under a rock or something or just trying to be cool? Hunger games is the was highest grossing film 2nd only to Avengers with 407M of 2012 so far...not saying that means it's good or not but it what it is which was a lot of buzz and hype.
post #247 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I like Liz Banks, but she's a distraction in this film. And they fixed her up to look terribly old, to boot.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #248 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This got big hype? .

Where have you been?

Biggest selling book series ever on Amazon, even outselling all 7 Potters
12th highest grossing film domestically of all time (unadjusted)
Excellent critical reviews
Still in theaters after nearly 5 months

Yes, there is a lot of hype. Well deserved IMHO.
post #249 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yes, it's been confirmed. The rental version is lossy DD. Same thing Summit/Lionsgate did with RED. They're forcing you to buy instead of rent.
Why they would think that crippling the rental BDs of a movie with lossy audio escapes me. I didn't buy the Red BD and wouldn't have bought it even if the rental version had come with lossless audio. Similarly, I preordered The Hunger Games BD so won't be renting it on BD. Bottom line, it seems to me that that the decision not to encode these rental BDs with lossless audio was stupid. I can't imagine that it will serve to sell a single extra copy of the film but will definitely make a lot of potential customers angry.
post #250 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I can't imagine that it will serve to sell a single extra copy of the film but will definitely make a lot of potential customers angry.
No one ever said The Suits are bright.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #251 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Why they would think that crippling the rental BDs of a movie with lossy audio escapes me. I didn't buy the Red BD and wouldn't have bought it even if the rental version had come with lossless audio. Similarly, I preordered The Hunger Games BD so won't be renting it on BD. Bottom line, it seems to me that that the decision not to encode these rental BDs with lossless audio was stupid. I can't imagine that it will serve to sell a single extra copy of the film but will definitely make a lot of potential customers angry.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS! ****ing ridiculous they put lossy on the rental copies! mad.gif

Whew.........thanks for letting me vent.....I feel better. tongue.gif Thanks for the info as well Waboman.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #252 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

No one ever said The Suits are bright.wink.gif
How right you are and thanks for the additional comment to my thought. I realized immediately after I posted that I should have said something about the well known denseness of studio suits but was too lazy to go back and do it. Thanks for doing it for me. Anyway, it seems that the intentional exclusion of a lossless audio track from rental BDs makes many of here as CRAZY as it makes us.smile.gif
post #253 of 267 Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I know why it got the hype but I couldn't see why. Im going to have to watch it again because I went in very high expectations and it expected to be knocked over. Maybe the second viewing next week will change my mind( Its not the first time its happened )

Frank

post #254 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched the BD tonite and, yes, the Rental is lossy.

When I started the movie, I had a terrible sense of foreboding; Shakey Cam....EVERYWHERE (and for no f*cking discernable artistic reason whatsoever mad.gif).

However...suddenly....it relents....eek.gif

Anyway, soon I am being pulled into the story (what the heck?confused.gif).
The movie completely seduces me...the wife and I are on the edge of our seats.

Yeah, sure...it is The Running Man for teens.
However, it is so well done, I overlooked this obvious rip-off.

Jennifer Lawrence carries the day; without her performance, this movie would have suffered.
Winter's Bone was no fluke...she has The Right Stuff.

Josh Hutcherson continues to show why he is an up and coming star.

Gary Ross really deserves some serious credit for this movie.

FWIW, I was so impressed by The HG, I will be buying the BD in the next couple of days.

And, in conclusion, all I can say is "more, please...."

post #255 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Read the books - they're fantastic. The only thing teen about them is the fact that most of the main characters are young. As far as the "rip-off" thing, yes you could say the games themselves are part Battle Royale, Running Man, etc... but the story as a whole is much more than that.
post #256 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolson View Post

but the story as a whole is much more than that.
Agreed.

post #257 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ok so finally got to watch it and yes a mild thumbs up for me. Nice PQ and 2.35 A/R smile.gif. I liked the longer 2.5 hrs running time (more bang for your buck IMO) which of course only works if the movie is good so you can really feel the characters. Torture is you don't like the film.

It's not your standard formula hollywood stuff so I can see it's not for everyone. It's a little bit out there but I appreciate it's creativity and quirkiness. I'm always fascinated with futuristic civilization and how humanity is turned on it's head and this surely has it. JL indeed carried this movie on her back and thank god she's talented and likeable. I was pulled into the movie and some of the fighting and struggles was not great or anything but it was very well done and executed so that you get involved.

And this is the area that could have been so much better with all the options within the Hunger games parameters but too bad they did not take advantage of it and I would have like to see more of it instead of the dragging slow parts between the characters. This is further proof by all those people in white who controlled the games from afar and could put in or take out anything they wished like god.

JL is a very interesting gal, almost mysterious and understated which is why she has a promising future. I haven't read the books but I have no idea how the sequel will be since their was a winner in this one so it looks like the chapter is closed but I'm def looking forward to it.
post #258 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Same here. this was a rather lame movie, and I wonder what was the big deal here, the romance thing was even more lame then the Twilight saga, which is quiet jejune to begin with, however there were some interesting things visually too bad we had seen most of it in the Fifth Element [capitol city] already. For the record I did read the first book to about halfway so far, but I may not finish it after all since the film adaptation is very close indeed. I think this series may be better appreciated as whole, since there is a bigger story there it seems, but so far I'm less then enthusiastic about the entire project.

The Hun
post #259 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

When I started the movie, I had a terrible sense of foreboding; Shakey Cam....EVERYWHERE (and for no f*cking discernable artistic reason whatsoever mad.gif).
Jennifer Lawrence carries the day; without her performance, this movie would have suffered.
FWIW, I was so impressed by The HG, I will be buying the BD in the next couple of days.

Nice review. Although, I thought Josh Hutcherson was the weakest link in the movie.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #260 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I think this series may be better appreciated as whole, since there is a bigger story there it seems

I would agree with that. I actually enjoyed the first book more the second time around, after having read the whole trilogy. I didn't really find the romance angle lame because it's quite a reversal from the Twilight type. She's the fighter here, not the guy.
post #261 of 267 Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really glad the shaky cam and quick cuts didn't take you out of the film My copy of the BD is on the way from Amazon. Can hardy wait! I do not ordinarily get caught up in teeny bopper fiction or the movies that follow. For example, I tired of the Harry Potter series long before the last one and the first Twilight book gave me all I could stomach of that saga. Nevertheless, I loved The Hunger Games and, somewhat to my surprise, liked the second and third entries in the trilogy just as much.

I share your enthusiasm for Jennifer Lawrence's talent. She blew me away in Winter's Bone and was damn near as good in The Hunger Games. She has a chance to carve out a long and distinguished career for herself.
post #262 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Nice review. Although, I thought Josh Hutcherson was the weakest link in the movie.
I can understand your criticism here.
FWIW and IMO, because Katniss has a beau at home, it seems his character had to be in the background, .
Considering the target audience, it makes some sense Peeta has to be somewhat of a supporting character.
It is a low-key performance, no scenery-chewing going on here; nevertheless, I was impressed with his quiet strength.

Quote:

I tired of the Harry Potter series long before the last one and the first Twilight book gave me all I could stomach of that saga. Nevertheless, I loved The Hunger Games and, somewhat to my surprise, liked the second and third entries in the trilogy just as much.
I try NOT to read these kinds of novels (whenever I know a movie is being ramped up)..wink.gif
I like to be surprised when I watch a movie (or TV series).
Therefore, I avoid the novels....in spite of my admiration (or not) of the movies.

Quote:
I share your enthusiasm for Jennifer Lawrence's talent. She blew me away in Winter's Bone and was damn near as good in The Hunger Games. She has a chance to carve out a long and distinguished career for herself.
I couldn't agree more.
There were times in THG where (during close-ups) the "intensity" in her eyes caused me (and the wife) to utter "WOW!"
And that, is my definition of Great Acting...smile.gif

post #263 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can understand your criticism here.
FWIW and IMO, because Katniss has a beau at home, it seems his character had to be in the background, .
Considering the target audience, it makes some sense Peeta has to be somewhat of a supporting character.
It is a low-key performance, no scenery-chewing going on here; nevertheless, I was impressed with his quiet strength.
I try NOT to read these kinds of novels (whenever I know a movie is being ramped up)..wink.gif
I like to be surprised when I watch a movie (or TV series).
Therefore, I avoid the novels....in spite of my admiration (or not) of the movies.
I couldn't agree more.
There were times in THG where (during close-ups) the "intensity" in her eyes caused me (and the wife) to utter "WOW!"
And that, is my definition of Great Acting...smile.gif

The launch room did it for me - she's downright shaking in fear of what's to come - thinking it's certain death. I remember being seriously on edge myself reading that scene in the book. Lawrence nailed it.
post #264 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I enjoyed the BD movie (purchased from Target) but the shaky camera was definitely annoying, especially in the opening sequences (I also downloaded the digital copy in iTunes and watched part on computer, shakiness not so bad).

I also thought that Jennifer Lawrence was quite good in the movie - she hasn't been in a lot of high-profile movies yet (unless you count "X-Men First Class"), but did receive a best-actress Oscar nomination for "Winter's Bone" a couple of years ago.
post #265 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I've reserved a Blu-ray rental at Redbox and will watch tonight. If the rental has a lossey 5.1 soundtrack it's just a move against people who rip off copies. My wife read the books and is the one interested in this, we never bothered to see it in the theater.

Dystopian films like 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, etc. can be interesting if not downright depressing. So now we can add another to the genre. The wife was a little disappointed with the short-cuts and omissions in the movie but generally liked it and gave it a 7.5/10 and I thought it was good and had some emotional moments (thanks to Lawrence) but at the end of the day it's not a must-have.

As others have pointed out the Blu-ray rental has DD 5.1 but I can't really recall anywhere in the movie where HD sound would have made a big difference (purists arise).

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #266 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
This was ok. The 2+ hours went by pretty fast so I must have been interested - if not as much as my daughters and their friends.tongue.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #267 of 267 Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolson View Post

The launch room did it for me - she's downright shaking in fear of what's to come - thinking it's certain death.
An excellent scene.
The wife noted the shaking too.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I can't really recall anywhere in the movie where HD sound would have made a big difference (purists arise).
Anyone?tongue.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page