The Hunger Games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 267 Old 09-03-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The latest adaptation of a young adult, adventure fantasy\\sci-fi novel series has it's first teaser. Directed by Gary Ross and starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, and more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 267 Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just seems like a Battle Royale wannabe to me?
post #3 of 267 Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Full trailer released:

post #4 of 267 Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Like this trailer.
Hopefully, it won't be a complete teen angst flick.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 267 Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Liked: 13
Please have an R rating ( yeah like that's going to happen ) . A combination of The Running Man and Battle Royale might be decent if the Blu Ray has the unrated version . Since it appears to cater for the tween crowd I'll have to wait for some reviews .

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
post #6 of 267 Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The books were great, and brutal both physically and (even more so) emotionally. I love the trailer and will be there with my wife and family on opening day.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #7 of 267 Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My wife is currently reading this book and man, is she excited about the movie. I, on the other hand, remember her excitement concerning the Twilight series. I reserve the right to hold down my excitement until I find out more about the story.
post #8 of 267 Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

My wife is currently reading this book and man, is she excited about the movie. I, on the other hand, remember her excitement concerning the Twilight series. I reserve the right to hold down my excitement until I find out more about the story.

I read the first TWILIGHT book out of professional curiosity before the movie came out (I'm a novelist and wanted to see what all the fuss was about). I was ready to hurl the book across the room when I was done with it. THE HUNGER GAMES are in a different league entirely. They're well written, have deep and interesting themes on trust and the use of force and brutality, and star a broad cast of varied and interesting characters.

David Forbes

My theater
post #9 of 267 Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

David F - That's good to hear. Twilight is unwatchable, readable...
post #10 of 267 Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Rach ... I agree with you on Twilight. I have lots of otherwise intelligent female friends who just get stupidly gaga over these books and movies. I would be fine if they realized they were trash and liked them anyway. But they really think they're great books and movies.

I don't get the fascination at all, at least at the absurd level it's reached.

David Forbes

My theater
post #11 of 267 Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 267 Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Soundtrack to be done by James Newton Howard:

http://www.slashfilm.com/danny-elfma...-hunger-games/
post #13 of 267 Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
What's forcing the kids to fight? I haven't read the books but from the trailer it does look similar to Battle Royale and Running Man. I also don't believe the author maintaining she hasn't heard of the Battle Royale novel before she turned in her manuscript to the publisher. It came out almost a decade before her book and I can't believe an author would have such poor research skills.
post #14 of 267 Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and read the first couple of the Twilight books. There is no comparison, it seems to me. The Twilight books are teenybopper dreck but The Hunger Games is a taut, well told, adventure tale. I am really looking forward to reading the last two books of the trilogy, and to seeing The Hunger Games film when it comes out. It has a chance to be very good, I think.
post #15 of 267 Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
OK. I'm game. Just put the book on my queue. Last trilogy I read was the Larssson series.

FWIW, missed the run up in LGF last year, over 50%. This movie might give it a another boost. Release will be on March 23rd.
post #16 of 267 Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

What's forcing the kids to fight? I haven't read the books but from the trailer it does look similar to Battle Royale and Running Man. I also don't believe the author maintaining she hasn't heard of the Battle Royale novel before she turned in her manuscript to the publisher. It came out almost a decade before her book and I can't believe an author would have such poor research skills.

Not to give anything away, but essentially an all poweful government/society that rules over the rest of the land that will essentially destroy you if you don't sacrifice 2 of your children for the amusement called the Hunger Games.

As far as the trilogy is concerned, at least my opinion.

LOVED the 1st book, really enjoyed the 2nd as well and the final one I though was just alright.

Another series you all might want to look into is the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. My sister-in-law introduced me to it and I could not put it down just like the Hunger Games trilogy. As far as the Twilight series I have no intentions of ever opening them up or seeing the movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uglies
post #17 of 267 Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and read the first couple of the Twilight books. There is no comparison, it seems to me. The Twilight books are teenybopper dreck but The Hunger Games is a taut, well told, adventure tale. I am really looking forward to reading the last two books of the trilogy, and to seeing The Hunger Games film when it comes out. It has a chance to be very good, I think.

If they follow the book, and don't hold back I agree that it can definitely be a solid film. Looking forward to it as well.
post #18 of 267 Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post

If they follow the book, and don't hold back I agree that it can definitely be a solid film.

From the director of Pleasantville and Seabiscuit... "Holding back" seems to be his specialty.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #19 of 267 Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

From the director of Pleasantville and Seabiscuit... "Holding back" seems to be his specialty.

Man, you're a tough audience. I saw both Pleasantville and Seabiscuit and thought they were solidly above average films. I have the Laura Hillenbrand book upon which the Seabiscuit film was based but haven't got around to reading it yet. Is it significantly better than the movie?
post #20 of 267 Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I've seen the trailer for this film I'm not yet convinced. I'll rent it when it comes out on blu to give it a go. Hopefully it is good.

Frank

post #21 of 267 Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I've seen the trailer for this film I'm not yet convinced. I'll rent it when it comes out on blu to give it a go. Hopefully it is good.

I've now read all three books in The Hunger Games Trilogy and give them high marks. The movie has a chance to be very good, it seems to me. Jennifer Lawrence, who was so sensational in Winter's Bone, stars in The Hunger Games film as Katniss Everdeen. I can't imagine a better choice.
post #22 of 267 Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

New trailer:

post #23 of 267 Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the trailer link. I continue to have high hopes for The Hunger Games. As noted in an earlier post, I think Jennifer Lawrence was a great choice to play Katniss Everdeen. Also, Gary Ross, who directs the film, has a good track record of bringing books to the screen I think. I have always admired his Seabiscuit, he both directed and wrote the screenplay. I recently read the Laura Hillenbrand book, upon which Seabiscuit was based, and thought Ross did a good job of telescoping and making manageable for the screen, a sprawling 400 page book. Ross cowrote the screenplay for The Hunger Games with Suzanne Collins who wrote the excellent novel upon which the film is based.
post #24 of 267 Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Well, I read the 1st book and looking forward to the 2nd. Just for kicks, I even borrowed from our library printed in traditional Chinese to refresh my native language (up and down, and right to left). It's a very popular book like HP printed in many languages.

Seeing J. Lawrence in Winter's Bone, gwsat, I've high expectation of her acting and will see this one in the cinema next month.
post #25 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Surprised there is not more talk of this movie with its release only a week away. This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I think it will appeal to a huge audience, my teenage daughter is very excited to see it as well. Early indications are they were very faithful to the books, which would be a very good thing. Was concerned they would try to mess with it to make it more Twilight like, but it appears they have resisted. Cant wait to catch this next weekend.

Mark-
post #26 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

Surprised there is not more talk of this movie with its release only a week away. This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I think it will appeal to a huge audience, my teenage daughter is very excited to see it as well. Early indications are they were very faithful to the books, which would be a very good thing. Was concerned they would try to mess with it to make it more Twilight like, but it appears they have resisted. Cant wait to catch this next weekend.

Going by the trailer i can't see what all the fuss is about. I will rent it when its on blu, who knows i might change my mind.

Frank

post #27 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Same here, they keep making this out to be the new slice bread or something but I can't see what's the big deal in this movie. So how is making young kids kill each other in some reality game show exciting? is this some twisted sick joke? again, I hope I'm wrong and there is more to this than what's shown in the trailer but so far it's not something I want to see.
post #28 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
There is a lot more to it than kids just killing each other. I dont want to give away any spoilers, but the book was excellent. Should be better than most to hit the big screen.

Mark-
post #29 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Going by the trailer i can't see what all the fuss is about. I will rent it when its on blu, who knows i might change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Same here, they keep making this out to be the new slice bread or something but I can't see what's the big deal in this movie. So how is making young kids kill each other in some reality game show exciting? is this some twisted sick joke? again, I hope I'm wrong and there is more to this than what's shown in the trailer but so far it's not something I want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

There is a lot more to it than kids just killing each other. I dont want to give away any spoilers, but the book was excellent. Should be better than most to hit the big screen.

Marjen beat me to it. I so enjoyed all three Hunger Games books, I have been looking forward to the movie. My interest was further whetted by the presence of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. Lawrence blew me away with her performance in Winter's Bone and I think she has been perfectly cast as Katniss. If The Hunger Games' screenplay lives up to the book, I am confident we are in for a treat.
post #30 of 267 Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Go watch Battle Royale.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page