Warrior - AVS Forum
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Warrior
CHolleman's Avatar CHolleman 10:39 AM 09-12-2011
I searched and didn't see a thread for this yet. I saw it on Sunday and thought it was phenomenal. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile. It was pretty easy to see how Tommy and Brendan would end up at the end of the movie, but other than that it was spectacular.

lwright84's Avatar lwright84 12:03 PM 09-12-2011
I swore I made one, but I guess not. Here is the trailer:

CHolleman's Avatar CHolleman 12:26 PM 09-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I swore I made one, but I guess not. Here is the trailer:

I'm a little disappointed by how much the trailer shows.
lwright84's Avatar lwright84 10:11 PM 09-14-2011
RobSwartz's Avatar RobSwartz 09:45 AM 09-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post
I searched and didn't see a thread for this yet. I saw it on Sunday and thought it was phenomenal. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile. It was pretty easy to see how Tommy and Brendan would end up at the end of the movie, but other than that it was spectacular.
I agree! Outstanding film. Best I've seen in years.
CHolleman's Avatar CHolleman 11:55 AM 09-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Five reasons to go see this:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/09/09/warrior-review/

nice write up
zoey67's Avatar zoey67 03:42 AM 12-25-2011
Ok just got done with this little gem. I didn't expect much because I've seen just about all of the fighting films and thought it was going to be "alright" and just another studio formula to cash in on the current popularity of MMA. This movie held my attention and was a winner from the 1st frame to the credits. Nothing is what you expect here, the characters and script are the true stand outs.

That's what I really love about Warrior is that you won't get the usual sappy cliche dad to son moment or any cliche sibling exchanges. I also had some trepidations as I've read on IMDB threads that the fighting in this movie was awful and unreal and was relieved that it wasn't the case at all. In fact it was done very well. I'm no MMA junkie but I've been following the sport since it's birth in 93 and I had no quips with the action.

But this movie is a great film 1st and foremost and that's all you need to know. The MMA is merely a vehicle or background. And excellent solid performances from the key players which surprised me a bit since I'm very hard on newcomers or actors who aren't house hold names. Tom Hardy was the standout and IMO this guy is going be the next Ryan gosling or Christian Bale he's that good and convincing. So as you can tell I'm happy. And I thought Columbiana was going the be the last big movie of 2011 but since that was also another turkey, Warrior capped it off with a bang.

So I would put Warrior right up there with other stand outs this year right up there with Limitless, Lincoln Lawyer, and Fast 5
KevinH's Avatar KevinH 09:26 AM 12-26-2011
I watched it "on demand" last night and agree.......excellent movie and best I've seen in a good long while!
tattootearz's Avatar tattootearz 10:08 AM 12-27-2011
Great film.... strong story and excellent performances. The MMA aspect of the movie, though not overly depended upon to drive the movie, has an authentic feel to it. This only added to the overall greatness of the film.

best film "of it's kind" since the original Rocky.
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 05:29 AM 01-08-2012
+1 to all opinions expressed here.

A must see for everyone.
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 04:27 AM 01-09-2012
I really enjoyed the movie, but with the subject matter and how the plot (miraculously) played out it couldn't fail unless they really blew it. What makes it more than another "underdog overcomes all" movie is the realism of the fighting (as already mentioned). It was good to see Nick Nolte again, he did a decent job and was perfectly cast for the role.

larry
Rach's Avatar Rach 08:39 AM 01-09-2012
I had no desire to see this initially. After watching, it is definitely one of the best films of the year!! A must see!!
wizzack's Avatar wizzack 06:01 PM 06-10-2012
This movie didn't interest me at all but I rented it anyway based on the positive feedback in this thread. Y'all were right. The solid performances (esp. Nolte) really put this over the top. Very good!
Rach's Avatar Rach 08:23 AM 06-11-2012
I had no desire to see this film but it ended up in my top 5 of last year...and now I'm a big Tom Hardy fan. Outstanding movie!
GOLFVUE3's Avatar GOLFVUE3 06:57 PM 10-21-2012
This is one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Great acting. Good action - but not overdone.

Very surprised - by the sound of title and hearing MMA, I wasn't expecting a lot - but this one was great
Franin's Avatar Franin 05:53 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I had no desire to see this initially. After watching, it is definitely one of the best films of the year!! A must see!!

Ive had no desire to see this film also, its been sitting in my blu ray collection for awhile but tonight Im going to watch it.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:14 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Ive had no desire to see this film also, its been sitting in my blu ray collection for awhile but tonight Im going to watch it.

Afterward be sure to watch the sequel - Here Comes the Boom.
Franin's Avatar Franin 09:51 AM 02-20-2013
This film was fantastic, late at the party as usual. I knew this would happen I kept pushing it back every time it was time to watch it.
I was cheering for both of them, tommy was the best though as well as Mr C.
Definitely worth a watch.
Franin's Avatar Franin 09:53 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

No thanks.
mrhan's Avatar mrhan 12:36 PM 02-20-2013
I'm late to the party, also. I just watched this last night after several people recommended it to me. Really good movie and I hate MMA. It looks boring on film
unless we're talking about Donnie Yen's films which made MMA choreography interesting. Otherwise, as already stated, the MMA was just a backdrop to
a really good story.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:44 PM 02-21-2013
Nick Nolte was PERFECT in this.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 12:45 PM 02-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

HCTB pairs nicely with School of Rock.
Up
Mobile  Desktop