AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Well I think that's the idea of the "Genesis of the Borg" concept. In my mind, it's not so much about the Borg as we know it in the TNG story lines but rather how it came into existence. In fact, to me the ST3 story could be something seemingly unrelated to the Borg establishment that leads up to the "shocking revelation" at the end of the film that those events in fact caused the initial establishment of the Borg. We wouldn't even have to see the Borg (as we know it) IMO. I'm kind of thinking how they did The Terminator. They guy was working on the chip that led to the development of machines that would attempt to take over the world. Something similar but with less reveal.
Exactly. The Borg always struck me as something based on an humanoids with tech adaptations. How they came about would be interesting, was it evolution or an experiment that went wrong.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I think a project (TV series, anyways) based on the Klingons could be interesting. Maybe we could finally see that frakkin' famous "Battle at Kiddemar" that was always referenced, amongst other things.
I seem to recall there was an reenactment or some damn thing on one of the DS9 episodes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Exactly. The Borg always struck me as something based on an humanoids with tech adaptations. How they came about would be interesting, was it evolution or an experiment that went wrong.
Wasn't this explained in the Borg Queen movie? confused.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #663 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Wasn't this explained in the Borg Queen movie? confused.gif

There was an explanation more or less but 1) it was from one perspective (the Borg's) and 2) nothing was shown (meaning no storyline, flashbacks or anything like that). They could certainly build more detail and develop a story about it but again, if it went in that direction I would not want another Borg movie. Or even Borg mentioned during the movie except perhaps a "big reveal" at the end indicating that this is where the Borg started.

Hey, kind of along the Kahn super soldier concept, maybe the Borg was also a Federation super soldier concept gone bad.
post #664 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

Hey, kind of along the Kahn super soldier concept, maybe the Borg was also a Federation super soldier concept gone bad.

In previous canon, the Borg originated from the complete opposite end of the galaxy and had no knowledge of Earth until Q introduced them to the Enterprise. They could not have been a Federation science experiment.

Of course, the JJ'verse has thrown most canon out the window already, so who can say how this will be ret-conned?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #665 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

In previous canon, the Borg originated from the complete opposite end of the galaxy and had no knowledge of Earth until Q introduced them to the Enterprise. They could not have been a Federation science experiment.

Of course, the JJ'verse has thrown most canon out the window already, so who can say how this will be ret-conned?

Unless Q interacted with someone from the Federation (in the Abrams universe) and took them to the opposite end of the galaxy. A mad scientist with cyber-organic ideals that went against Federation ethics became involved with Q who transported him and his ideals (which would suggest a Borg-like progression) to the opposite end of the galaxy. Or maybe his experiments created a galactic rift that propelled him (and his ideals) to the opposite end of the galaxy. With little creativity, there are any number of ways to make that work to keep with "canon". Wow.

Let's just keep it all safe and clean and make it about the Enterprise crew investigating a new energy source that actually ends up being a new life form that they ultimately choose to respect and protect from some hostile group with Kirk and crew saving the day when it's all said and done. Oh yeah, and Kirk gets a girl in the process, why not. No risk to canon there. wink.gif
post #666 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

That will paint the humans as the trouble maker of the galaxy and will have too much trouble with the franchise fans.
post #667 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There was an explanation more or less but 1) it was from one perspective (the Borg's) and 2) nothing was shown (meaning no storyline, flashbacks or anything like that). They could certainly build more detail and develop a story about it but again, if it went in that direction I would not want another Borg movie. Or even Borg mentioned during the movie except perhaps a "big reveal" at the end indicating that this is where the Borg started.
I have always felt the Borg were a great and creepy villainy bunch.
Next to the Klingons and Romulans, the best ST baddies ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

That will paint the humans as the trouble maker of the galaxy and will have too much trouble with the franchise fans.
Probably right there....

post #668 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:

I suspect that 500 or 1000 years from now that will probably be the truth. We do have a knack for despoiling our nests.
post #669 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really any different than the Kahn storyline IMO but fine. It doesn't have to be anything related to the Federation. It was just a random thought to get the idea ball rolling. It can just be a guy with a crazy idea that has Federation implications. Just looking at Star Trek familiar themes that we can all relate to without recreating existing story lines.
post #670 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 392
The Borg are my fave ST bad guys. Resistance is futile.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #671 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The Borg are my fave ST bad guys. Resistance is futile.

This has nothing to do with my preferences on what they do with the third movie, but to me the Borg was one of the most intense and imaginative "bad guys" to come around in a long time. Many movies (and television shows) have good enemies but most of the time it's just "another enemy" by the time it's all said and done. The Borg felt formidable. They made you feel outmatched. There was a screen impact with the likes of Vader, the Terminator, even Jason and Freddy (before parts 15,16 and 17...). I guess what I'm saying is over the years there are villians that had an impact. That you remember, or better yet, cared to remember. The Borg IMO is one of them.
post #672 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:

This has nothing to do with my preferences on what they do with the third movie, but to me the Borg was one of the most intense and imaginative "bad guys" to come around in a long time. Many movies (and television shows) have good enemies but most of the time it's just "another enemy" by the time it's all said and done. The Borg felt formidable. They made you feel outmatched. There was a screen impact with the likes of Vader, the Terminator, even Jason and Freddy (before parts 15,16 and 17...). I guess what I'm saying is over the years there are villians that had an impact. That you remember, or better yet, cared to remember. The Borg IMO is one of them.

They kept coming back too, across several ST series. We saw a lot of them. Paramount got a lot of mileage out of the Borg.
post #673 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, they did but that was one where it worked. That being said, I do feel like bringing the Borg as we know it back would be been there done that at this point. That's why I suggested doing something that leads up to the creation of the Borg but not a "Borg Story" so to speak. Whether it be in line with Star Trek canon or the Abrams universe with an alternate timeline canon, just do it right. Doing anything solidly Borg I think would be like Friday the 13th part 64: Jason's Walker.
post #674 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What was the name of the species that gave the Borg a run for their money? Seems like they enjoyed hunting Borg if I remember correctly..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #675 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

They wouldn't have to be federation related and they can come still from the far side of the galaxy. Humanoid based doesn't mean Earth.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #676 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

That being said, I do feel like bringing the Borg as we know it back would be been there done that at this point.
+100000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

What was the name of the species that gave the Borg a run for their money? Seems like they enjoyed hunting Borg if I remember correctly..
Yeah, I vaguely recall that.......confused.gif

post #677 of 682 Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Resistance is futile.
Bring it on!
Species8472.jpg
post #678 of 682 Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for reply. I had posted the picture in a couple other threads to also show my new built in entertainment system/ 7.1 and my 70" and got slammed as a spammer so I've removed all my pics except this one and will keep my future posts to tech issues to not offend anyone or distract from their important issues/discussions.

Isn't it true that the only time you ever really benefitted
from anything is when you said YES instead of NO??[[[
/CENTER]/I]/SIZE]
post #679 of 682 Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Apparently the Borg were familiar with Earth 200 yrs before Enterprise & crew on the tv series of the same name, Enterprise. A science research station found a crashed sphere & put a couple of drones on thaw inside only to have them regenerate & then send the star coordinates all the way back to the Delta quadrant via subspace before Jonathan Archer & crew destroyed the fleeing Borg. That was 2002 or thereabouts.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #680 of 682 Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

One of my favorites films

post #681 of 682 Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm late to the game concerning this movie. I didn't see it when it came out. I've just been readings reviews in the meantime. Anyway-I bought the BR disc of this yesterday and watched it. I really enjoyed it. I think I liked it as much as the first one, but for different reasons. Just my $.02 about this. No complaints at all.
post #682 of 682 Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Well, gee...why doesn't JJ Abrahms just reboot Battlestar Galactica franchise while he's at it? tongue.gif

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Star Trek Ii The Wrath Of Khan Restored Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page