Goon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Adapted by Jay Baruchel and Evan Goldberg, based on the novel Goon: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey, this brash hockey comedy stars Sean William Scott, Liev Schreiber, Kim Coates, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill, and Eugene Levy.

Labelled an outcast by his brainy family, a bouncer overcomes long odds to lead a team of under performing misfits to semi-pro hockey glory, beating the crap out of everything that stands in his way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Official trailer actually has this looking like some good fun!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone besides myself watch this?

As a Hockey Fan of 43 Years, and since I played(non Pro) for 16 Years my views will be different than the casual viewer.

I`m trying to remember Slap Shot 2 as to compare it to, but all I can remember is Stephen Baldwin and I can`t stand him, and how he couldn`t even skate in that Movie.Well as far as that goes, there are some similarities, and perhaps more.

Very little character developement, very little of weary road travel associated with minor League Hockey, sort of unrealistic at times(any Hockey savvy person will know what I mean)...It had its funny moments, but will not make my DVD Library.

No where near Slap Shot Territory(big surprise) for anyone who likes Hockey fights or MMA, worth a Rental.

Forgot to add, as you see in the Trailer, Goerges Laraques is in the Movie, one of the toughest Fighters ever in the NHL, and strangely enough, thats how he was in real life when he fought...pretty funny.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

Anyone besides myself watch this?

As a Hockey Fan of 43 Years, and since I played(non Pro) for 16 Years my views will be different than the casual viewer.

I`m trying to remember Slap Shot 2 as to compare it to, but all I can remember is Stephen Baldwin and I can`t stand him, and how he couldn`t even skate in that Movie.Well as far as that goes, there are some similarities, and perhaps more.

Very little character developement, very little of weary road travel associated with minor League Hockey, sort of unrealistic at times(any Hockey savvy person will know what I mean)...It had its funny moments, but will not make my DVD Library.

No where near Slap Shot Territory(big surprise) for anyone who likes Hockey fights or MMA, worth a Rental.

Forgot to add, as you see in the Trailer, Goerges Laraques is in the Movie, one of the toughest Fighters ever in the NHL, and strangely enough, thats how he was in real life when he fought...pretty funny.

I am also a hockey player (and coach), and feel that I will love this movie even if others hate it...just because I know the lifestyle and environment they are poking fun at. I can't wait to see it!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I really enjoyed the film. Had a lot of heart and humor. Wasn't expecting much, but I would own it.

David Budo
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had this on my DVR ever since the HDNet premiere and watched it today. I'm not a hockey fan, but I really enjoyed the movie. It had some funny moments and Sean William Scott was very likeable in the movie.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I liked this movie. Surpised it did not get much buzz or posting on the boards.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Caught this on the NF stream recently. Expected a pile of dung but was pleasantly surprised! This is probably the only one I've seen where Sean Williams Scott was actually likeable in. Pretty good movie except for Jay Baruchel who just can't seem to find his place in anything since Undeclared. Better than most of the Hollywood BS out there & recommended if you've run out of slots in your queue.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008