post #91 of 102 Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

One aspect when you have someone this powerful that has been around for so long is that you get a interesting view of US History. The world changed alot between 30-70. And done right the story of one man can tell the story of many.

Good point.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

One aspect when you have someone this powerful that has been around for so long is that you get a interesting view of US History. The world changed alot between 30-70. And done right the story of one man can tell the story of many.

Not in this case, the movie concentrated on a handful of characters only, and the entire film was narrated from Hoover's POV, with only a handful of exceptions. The filmmakers wanted you to meet Hoover rather then give a societal or historical lesson or interpretation of his time.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #93 of 102 Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Not in this case, the movie concentrated on a handful of characters only, and the entire film was narrated from Hoover's POV, with only a handful of exceptions. The filmmakers wanted you to meet Hoover rather then give a societal or historical lesson or interpretation of his time.

I disagree. Sure this film is about Hoover but we learned a little about JFK, Nixon, MLK, FDR and many others in the process.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #94 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I disagree. Sure this film is about Hoover but we learned a little about JFK, Nixon, MLK, FDR and many others in the process.

Art

Extremely little, those guys were merely a footnote and other then RFK and Nixon, nobody else was even portrayed on your "list". Hell, we learned more of Emma Goldman or his dislike of facial hair on his agent then the presidents he served under. And quiet frankly IMO that was Eastwood's intent all along to focus exclusively on Hoover on a rather personal way.

The Hun
post #95 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Extremely little, those guys were merely a footnote and other then RFK and Nixon,

There is of course a limit in a 2 hour movie, how much you can show. But even a single scene of a character can give us an interesting view of that person. And even if its from Hoovers POV, it gives us a little piece of the puzzle.

Just like "The Kennedys" gave us pieces of Hoover, or "Ike: Countdown to D-Day" gave us a piece of Patton.
post #96 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

There is of course a limit in a 2 hour movie, how much you can show. But even a single scene of a character can give us an interesting view of that person. And even if its from Hoovers POV, it gives us a little piece of the puzzle.

Just like "The Kennedys" gave us pieces of Hoover, or "Ike: Countdown to D-Day" gave us a piece of Patton.

What puzzle? The movie is not about the times that Hoover lived through. It is about Hoover living through those times told from his POV.
post #97 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

What puzzle? The movie is not about the times that Hoover lived through. It is about Hoover living through those times told from his POV.

Bacause POV is history. There is no universal truth. And the more POV we get of a person the clearer do the image get. Nothing is black and white.
post #98 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Bacause POV is history. There is no universal truth. And the more POV we get of a person the clearer do the image get. Nothing is black and white.

A POV can be skewed. It may not represent history at all. Just one persons view. And that person may have "issues" as Hoover did.
post #99 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

A POV can be skewed. It may not represent history at all. Just one persons view. And that person may have "issues" as Hoover did.

I agree. If I understand the second part of MovieSwede’s post correctly, the more we see a particular persons POV, the more we understand where that person is coming from and therefore we know more about that person. I would agree with that as well. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s reality, but their perception filtered through their belief system.

I don’t recall who it was that chastised Hoover, Tolson or someone else, but they were upset with him over his claim that he was the one who personally made certain arrests when that wasn’t the case. Hoover was embellishing the incidents to make himself look good. That particular incident wasn’t a POV, even though he wanted it to be perceived that way, that was an outright lie and Hoover knew it.
post #100 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I agree. If I understand the second part of MovieSwede's post correctly, the more we see a particular persons POV.

Actually I wasnt that precise in my statement since I havnt watched the movie yet. But you certainly have a good point.

But in general, a good historian can extract usable information even from a lie. Because history is full of lies.
post #101 of 102 Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I wasnt that precise in my statement since I havnt watched the movie yet.

That explains it, we're not talking about how history can be told from a POV in general, but rather if this film did just that, no it didn't nor was it it's intention.

The Hun
post #102 of 102 Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
A passion of mine.

Forensics on Trial
Virtual autopsies, 3-D fingerprints, and digital crime scenes are making crime-solving into a more precise science. Airing October 17, 2012 at 9 pm on PBS

There is a startling gap between the glamorous television world of “CSI” and the gritty reality of the forensic crime lab. With few established scientific standards, no central oversight, and poor regulation of examiners, forensics in the U.S. is in a state of crisis. In "Forensics on Trial", NOVA investigates how modern forensics, including the analysis of fingerprints, bite marks, ballistics, hair, and tool marks, can send innocent men and women to prison—and sometimes even to death row. Shockingly, of more than 250 inmates exonerated by DNA testing over the last decade, more than 50 percent of the wrongful convictions stemmed from invalid or improperly handled forensic science. With the help of vivid recreations of actual trials and cases, NOVA will investigate today’s shaky state of crime science as well as cutting-edge solutions that could help investigators put the real criminals behind bars.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page