Good film, loved the ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 182 Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From slashfilm: I liked The Grey quite a lot — it is a solid, satisfying B-movie that has just enough subtext to overcome the fact that the attacking wolves are, well, a little dodgy.

Red-Band trailer:

You guys are getting pretty riled up over a film obviously meant to be taken as an action\\adventure film.
post #93 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I mostly liked it for its genuine character interaction. The fact that it was an effective action film is secondary to me.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
It is the only film in my recent memory that does a great job in questioning the motivations we have to stay alive. Some of the characters were already dead inside, and with actual death imminent, one has to wonder how far they should go in these extraordinary circumstances to continue on. The main character obviously lived by the credo of his father's poem.
post #94 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

You guys are getting pretty riled up over a film obviously meant to be taken as an action\\adventure film.

I realize not everyone cares about preserving the Natural World for future generations, but some of us, in fact, do.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #95 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I realize not everyone cares about preserving the Natural World for future generations, but some of us, in fact, do.

Meh, wolves have been known to attack and kill people. And they clearly landed in a pretty remote area, where it seems plausible that they could be perceived as a threat by a pack of wolves. I mean sure it isn't solid science, but that is partly my point... it's an action adventure film. You might as well get mad at Indiana Jones for its inaccurate portrayal of archeology or tribal people.
post #96 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Meh, wolves have been known to attack and kill people.

sigh...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #97 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

sigh...

Get over it.
post #98 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Get over it.

Number 1: "Information" from Eastern Europe and Russia don't count (and you know why).
Number 2: "Reported attacks" from decades ago don't counter either (for the same reason).
Number 3: Do I have to trot out data on cougar and bear attacks for a comparison?

Number 4: Ain't this just too cute?
http://vimeo.com/35816559

post #99 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't say they were common or even frequent, simply that they have in fact occurred.
post #100 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I didn't say they were common or even frequent, simply that they have in fact occurred.

And I have said it has occurred too.

My point is it is so rare as to be a near impossible way for people in North America to die.
Demonizing an animal that is hanging by a thread to survival for money is morally WRONG.

post #101 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Let's get back to the movie comments. This wolf thing can go on forever with neither side giving.
post #102 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Demonizing an animal that is hanging by a thread to survival for money is morally WRONG.

I hear what you're saying, but it is that exact mindset that causes filmmakers to worry more about political correctness and pussy-footing around controversial themes or plot elements for the fear of ticking off some self-righteous people group.

There is nothing morally wrong with someone thinking that the idea of being trapped in a remote wilderness containing a pack of wild wolves is frightening, and writing a fictional action/adventure story to convey it. By your logic, you must hate Jaws as well right?
post #103 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is that exact mindset that causes filmmakers to worry more about political correctness and pussy-footing around controversial themes or plot elements for the fear of ticking off some self-righteous people group.

No, it isn't.
Would a movie projecting pedophilia as a POSITIVE thing for society be appropriate?

Quote:

There is nothing morally wrong with someone thinking that the idea of being trapped in a remote wilderness containing a pack of wild wolves is frightening, and writing a fictional action/adventure story to convey it.

You're right, there isn't.
But we are not talking about a written work; we are talking about a MOVIE.

We humans are, primarily, visual emotional creatures.
We tend to base our "truths" on what we see and hear.
I don't how many times this needs to be repeated here.

Critical Thinking, in this country, has become an unpopular activity during my brief lifetime.
These days, being ignorant is considered to be a Badge of Honor by some people.

Quote:

By your logic, you must hate Jaws as well right?

No, I do not.
When Jaws was made (37 years ago) the Great White was not facing extinction.
And the guy who wrote the novel later regretting doing so.

SNL aside, there is no such thing as a Landshark....

post #104 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Anyone who takes everything they see in a film as real life fact with no interest in further researching any particular subject is an idiot and not worth considering.

It is a shame that the perception of this good film is hindered by people's consideration of those idiots.
post #105 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

And I have said it has occurred too.

My point is it is so rare as to be a near impossible way for people in North America to die.

Is this movie set in North America?
post #106 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Is this movie set in North America?

Yes, British Colombia. I assume the location of the set is your question, otherwise, the setting of the film is in Alaska.
post #107 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Anyone who takes everything they see in a film as real life fact with no interest in further researching any particular subject is an idiot and not worth considering.

True, but it is what it is.

Quote:

It is a shame that the perception of this good film is hindered by people's consideration of those idiots.

Ya have to be concerned, because idiots can and do vote.

post #108 of 182 Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I Googled it, too.

Sorry to go OT, but is anyone else finding AVS slooooooow? It's taking forever to load pages.

Yes I agree! Especially the phone application
post #109 of 182 Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ok I liked the film quite a bit and would recommend this to anyone HOWEVER I have a very big bone to pick and since everyone already knows about the premise of this plane crash with them surrounded by wolves so I don't think there's no need for spoilers.

It is absurd and borderline stupid that Liam's character who supposedly knows most about wolves would lead them away from the safety of the plane site and run from the wolves. I mean is that stupid or what? and I know plenty of folks who hated this movie because of it. But I liked it because of the tension. realism(nature related) and excellent direction.

All or if any small amount left of their resources is back in the plane crash site and they just got up and leave it all behind not too mention the idea that some rescue mission will find them in matter of days if that much so all they had to do was stay put, keep warm and tell some lame jokes to fill up the time. That's I guess is reality speaking but this is a movie so I don't know
post #110 of 182 Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Ok I liked the film quite a bit and would recommend this to anyone HOWEVER I have a very big bone to pick and since everyone already knows about the premise of this plane crash with them surrounded by wolves so I don't think there's no need for spoilers.

It is absurd and borderline stupid that Liam's character who supposedly knows most about wolves would lead them away from the safety of the plane site and run from the wolves. I mean is that stupid or what? and I know plenty of folks who hated this movie because of it. But I liked it because of the tension. realism(nature related) and excellent direction.

All or if any small amount left of their resources is back in the plane crash site and they just got up and leave it all behind not too mention the idea that some rescue mission will find them in matter of days if that much so all they had to do was stay put, keep warm and tell some lame jokes to fill up the time. That's I guess is reality speaking but this is a movie so I don't know

Trust me here...wolves are NOT a threat humans need to worry about.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=46e_1332687347

Wolves try to stay as far away as possible from Homo Sapiens....and for good reasons.
I don't want to go OT (discussing wolf/human interactions), but the premise to this movie is complete horse-poo.

If anyone wishes to discuss the REALITY of the "wolf threat," let us PM....I am willing to bet Larry would prefer it that way.

post #111 of 182 Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Regardles of some stupid decisions and the whole wolf thing...I enjoyed this film

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #112 of 182 Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Regardles of some stupid decisions and the whole wolf thing...I enjoyed this film

+1 really enjoyed the character development, acting and direction.

David Budo
post #113 of 182 Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow. Couldn't disagree with you more. Inaccuracy in movies, while annoying, is not a moral failing unless your movie is purporting to be a documentary.
post #114 of 182 Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

wow. Couldn't disagree with you more. Inaccuracy in movies, while annoying, is not a moral failing unless your movie is purporting to be a documentary.

+1

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #115 of 182 Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Haven't seen this. Not terribly motivated to do so. Is this somewhat like The Edge? That was a fairly good movie.
post #116 of 182 Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Spoiler  
That place was indefensible, and looked like they were short on wood to make fire.

Quote:

I wonder if you even watched this movie, or you were doing something at the same time to distract yourself. There is already a movie you wanted to see called Alive, and guess what they weren't found either, until some of the guys left to find help. In any case this isn't that movie and to "speculate why and what if " just a futile exercise IMO. In situations like these one never knows which is the right course until one makes it.

The Hun
post #117 of 182 Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Haven't seen this. Not terribly motivated to do so. Is this somewhat like The Edge? That was a fairly good movie.

The situation is similar, but the characters are vastly different, including the "predators".

The Hun
post #118 of 182 Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Watched my review copy last night on blu ray and I loved it just as much as the first time I saw it. When it comes to the wolves, I tell myself that these are just a special set of predators used as a plot device. I do agree that it doesn't paint a good picture for those who take movies as means for education, but that doesn't prevent this from being an excellent film with incredible performances and direction. The sound is incredible as well.

There is a lot of "artistic grain" added, which I noticed in a kind of distracting way at first, but quickly got over it.

David Budo
post #119 of 182 Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm not normally one that sits and analyzes movies, but did no one else think this????

Spoiler  
My interpretation is that everyone died and is in some form of purgatory. The wolves are exaggerated because they represent death. Liams charactor considered taking his own life at one point. The ultimate sin if you believe that type of stuff. "Live and die on this day"??? He must live again by fighting, or at least not surrendering to, the alpha wolf (death???) By his refusing to give up, he's choosing to live again, and then and only then can he die?.. Other characters had major life changes before they died. This is just one of several interpretations this film left with me and needs repeated viewing. Unfortunately I didn't blind buy and rented it on amazon. I will be buying it soon.
post #120 of 182 Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I'm not normally one that sits and analyzes movies, but did no one else think this????

Just out of curiosity, how is the rental from Amazon? Was it BR? I am assuming that this was not streaming. If so, from what I have seen, streaming is awful from Amazon. So much so that my complaints got me a $10 credit that I have never used. I prefer Netflix streaming that I can do onto a high definition screen.

Your interpretation is as good as anyone else's.

Spoiler  
In the commentary, the director said that he was asked a dozen times if there was a helicopter over head because they thought that they had heard one. To which the director said that there was no helicopter in the sound track.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page