My Week With Marilyn - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Feature debut of Simon Curtis is a new biographical drama starring Michelle Williams, Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Dominic Cooper, Emma Watson, Julia Ormond, and Eddie Redmayne.

Colin Clark, an employee of Sir Laurence Olivier's, documents the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during production of The Prince and the Showgirl.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just saw this the other day, and found it very enjoyable indeed. "Marvelous" at times. Anyway this is one of those films featuring known people that you actually can "meet" that person. No small effort afforded by by Michelle Williams, who was a rather surprising choice for me prior to the viewing of the film, but then equally surprised that she pulled it off with ease. The story follows her UK trip which resulted her been starring in the film called "The Prince and the Showgirl, with Sir Laurence Olivier opposite of her and behind the camera[directing]. He was portrayed by Kenneth Branagh, what's interesting about that, that he was compared to Olivier when he started out along with his then wife Emma Thompson to Vivian Leigh . Branagh really nailed Olivier as one could guess, and there was a host of fairly well known British actors appeared alongside as well. The film is rather sympathetic to the Monroe character,which basically is filmed from the POV of the young English guy who was a "gofer" of the crew, but became a bit more then that as the film progresses. It was his diary that the film was based upon. It creates enough depth to learn why she is the way she behaves instead of just portraying her as a diva with a severe case of stage freight, which wouldn't make a very pleasant experience for sure. BTW Williams performs the songs in the film that originally performed by Monroe, and the "Marilyn theme" by Alexandre Desplat is very moving. I saw this on BD and it is flawless for picture and sound.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was a complete bore, and the woman they had play Marylin Monroe looked way too much like Renee Zellweger to be attractive. The script was predictable, formulaic, and watching the male lead with his whimpy, inbred, pasty English looks was difficult.

A much better recent flick is The Descendants.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The-Des...?trkid=5966279

If you liked Up In The Air, you will like his flick.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I watched The Descendants last night. I thought it was a very good movie and story. I look forward to watching it again.

Clooney was excellent, but I didn't think much of the three kids. They were the weak link, IMO. Better kids and I would have put this one in the outstanding category.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I thought it was a complete bore, and the woman they had play Marylin Monroe looked way too much like Renee Zellweger to be attractive. The script was predictable, formulaic, and watching the male lead with his whimpy, inbred, pasty English looks was difficult.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The-Des...?trkid=5966279

If you liked Up In The Air, you will like his flick.

Descendants is on my list of films to watch but it is hardly about the same thing now is it?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I found "My Week with Marilyn" very fascinating and that Michelle Williams did an excellent job. If you are a film buff then the story will definitely interest you. The BD came from NF and being a Weinstein Brothers film it was not just a "rental version" and there were extras and commentary. It was a little extra interesting to me having met one of her ex's (figure out from my location who that might have been).
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page