post #61 of 97 Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Coincidentally, Paula Abdul did a day of choreography on that movie in '87. She choreographed "The African Anteater Ritual." If you know from what movie, you are a movie trivia champion.

Mission accepted!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Mission accepted!

You chose...wisely.
post #63 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

After a google search I know what that means. No, I'm not a member of that or any gun forum. I'm just tired of people bitching about the military being shown positively.

Wow, that's an incredible coincidence then. There's a member over at AR15.com who's handle is Roland of Gilead.

Between your post and your handle, I thought you were the same person.
post #64 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

Wow, that's an incredible coincidence then. There's a member over at AR15.com who's handle is Roland of Gilead.

Between your post and your handle, I thought you were the same person.

Sure is quite a coincidence....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #65 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Oink nailed it, stick to the movie please. Thanks. Cleanup. Some of you guys still just can't let things go by...

Oh, and Oink, I do feel little better now knowing that you get screwed over more than me...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #66 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Oh, and Oink, I do feel little better now knowing that you get screwed over more than me...

larry

LOL, everybody gets screwed over some way or some how...

I just discovered a little video showing one of the "technical advisors" to this film....NOT!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=54f_1329871725

post #67 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/mo...avy-seals.html

Quote:
There's quite a bit of misinformation in the way movies usually represent us, said Capt. Duncan Smith, who is in the film and served as a kind of line producer, wrangling equipment (in this case a submarine) and even shooting some underwater footage. You never see a special ops change the magazine in his rifle, or use a gun sight, or carry a pack, or drink water. They talk in hushed tones, where we would use hand signals. So these tactics in the film did us proud. The film was shot during actual training sessions; the plot is based on real exploits, Lt. Cmdr. Rorke Denver, one of the film's two principal members of the SEALs, said at the screening. Any SEAL who sees it will recognize that this was that person, and that was this person.

post #68 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Also from that article:

Quote:

The film cost the taxpayers nothing, Mr. Anderson emphasized. It was financed independently and made collaboratively. Although there was a script, the service members essentially played themselves. “You weren’t really talking to the actor about the character,” Mr. Waugh said. “You were talking to the character. The character would say, ‘I wouldn’t say that,’ and you can’t argue with him. He’s the character.”

post #69 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Great, informative article (with tons of BTS pics at the end) from the DP (Shane Hurlbut):

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2...-action-genre/
post #70 of 97 Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Why? Because it's fashionable? Because Megan Fox was right about him on a set? ...One thing for sure his movies, whether people like them or not are often pure delight to look at. Like you said, gorgeous eye candy, and not just for Pearl Harbor.

Because he is a very unpleasant or difficult director to work with.
post #71 of 97 Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

25% Rotten Tomatoes score so far, based on 67 reviews.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #72 of 97 Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You can read all the reviews that you like, but if you are interested, just go see the film and make up your own mind. Lots of explosions and gun shots and first person POV. I did not mind seeing it once, but wouldn't see it a second time on a big screen.
post #73 of 97 Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

25% Rotten Tomatoes score so far, based on 67 reviews.

On the other hand Top Gun have only 49%. I guess boys with toys movie isnt what critics like.

What many critics miss is that these type of movies are a genre of their own. Now it doesnt say if the movie is a guilty pleasure or not but this is a type of movie I wouldnt trust the critics.

It does have a 85% audience rating, but that doesnt say much either. I dont trust the audience.
post #74 of 97 Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this tonight...and it was about like I expected. Its production values are certainly not A-list Hollywood, and if you didn't know these guys were not the real deal, you'd feel like these were some starving B-movie actors.

But we do know those things. So, I found myself looking at this and finding the "acting" more like SEALs playing actors which is clearly not their forte. Knowing that gave it a certain pass as authentic. If they had come off with slick terrific Hollywood performances, it wouldn't feel the same. So, it has a peculiar feel at times like something you'd watch on History as a psuedo-docu-drama. It often appears that rather crude cameras, like DSLRs, were used and there were lingering shots in important scenes that were terribly out of focus. This occurs in an interrogation scene that is one of the more surprisingly entertaining scenes in the movie.

The action pieces are well done, but with just enough somewhat crude production values as to occasionally feel like combat footage as it is recorded today. Perhaps that is because Navy camerman did a good bit of shooting in this. The first action piece of the CIA agent extraction is quite impressive and exciting. The mini-guns on the boats were amazing, and I'd bet this was the live fire portion of the movie. It seems that Hollywood sound mixers can never make mini-guns and the like sound anywhere nearly as loud-impressive as they are.

I read a review that said that the script was terrible, the characters two dimensional, and provided no insight to the complexities of war. I have a feeling that these real-life warriors have just that perspective, and this movie is from their perspective. Theirs is not to ponder or worry over the complexities of war, politics, or emotional drama. I think the movie makes it rather clear that their lives are rather simplistic. There is their real domestic life, and there is their warrior life, and they know their roles and responsiblities in each.

It will be forgotten as cinema almost immediately, but will probably have a significant following by some. I thought it was a simple yet honorable tale.

What'd you guys think?

P.S. I had a fun surprise early in the movie. The ambassador who makes a brief appearance makes an entrance when he steps out of his limo. To my surprise it was a camera assistant who I know and who was on the show. You know the budget is a bit low when crew starts getting recruited for minor roles.
post #75 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P.S. I had a fun surprise early in the movie. The ambassador who makes a brief appearance makes an entrance when he steps out of his limo. To my surprise it was a camera assistant who I know and who was on the show. You know the budget is a bit low when crew starts getting recruited for minor roles.

Thats at least one step above my productions, were the actors get to work as crew.
post #76 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Thats at least one step above my productions, were the actors get to work as crew.

I did an HBO movie once that is a Viet Nam war story that was shot in Thailand. In scenes where a lot of westerners were needed as extras they would try to find them in Bangkok. All they could find were a few really sad-looking ex-pats and the like, so using male western crew members became the norm. I think I was the only person on the crew that doesn't appear in the show somewhere.
post #77 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

It seems that Hollywood sound mixers can never make mini-guns and the like sound anywhere nearly as loud-impressive as they are.

- If gunfire in movies was anywhere near as loud as it really is, we'd all be deaf after the first shootout. Not to mention we'd need speakers that could go above 150dB.
post #78 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- If gunfire in movies was anywhere near as loud as it really is, we'd all be deaf after the first shootout. Not to mention we'd need speakers that could go above 150dB.

I guess that depends on how close you actually are to the gun. But the problem is that the actual sound is never reproduced in an accurate way, with the exception of Heat.
post #79 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I read a review that said that the script was terrible, the characters two dimensional, and provided no insight to the complexities of war. I have a feeling that these real-life warriors have just that perspective, and this movie is from their perspective. Theirs is not to ponder or worry over the complexities of war, politics, or emotional drama. I think the movie makes it rather clear that their lives are rather simplistic. There is their real domestic life, and there is their warrior life, and they know their roles and responsiblities in each.

It will be forgotten as cinema almost immediately, but will probably have a significant following by some. I thought it was a simple yet honorable tale.

Cam Man, did you ever watch "The Unit" when it was on TV? I'd be interested to get your perspective on that show, which tried to present a somewhat plausible (within Hollywood standards) depiction of an elite military team, without too much over-the-top G.I. Joe heroics.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #80 of 97 Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I guess that depends on how close you actually are to the gun. But the problem is that the actual sound is never reproduced in an accurate way, with the exception of Heat.

Gonna bring my spl meter to work and see how loud they go from over 2 miles away lol. I can still hear the recruits shooting from my office at pendleton lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #81 of 97 Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cam Man, did you ever watch "The Unit" when it was on TV? I'd be interested to get your perspective on that show, which tried to present a somewhat plausible (within Hollywood standards) depiction of an elite military team, without too much over-the-top G.I. Joe heroics.

I have not watched The Unit...and I should have because of having worked with Dennis before and knowing the key grip.

I'm not sure how much I would lend...as I was never in an elite group like you refer. I was just your basic fighter pilot.

Quote:

I was always also impressed with the gunfight in Open Range. What'd you think of the way that sounded?
post #82 of 97 Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how much I would lend...as I was never in an elite group like you refer. I was just your basic fighter pilot.

Thats just what a member in the unit would have said.

Quote:

I was always also impressed with the gunfight in Open Range. What'd you think of the way that sounded?

Havnt seen Open Range in a couple of years, and western guns isnt my speciality (I was a sniper in the military)

But I do remember the gunfight gave me a very realistic feel. So the audio should have been OK. But I have to rewatch it now because of this. I also suddenly got this desire for swiss chocolate.
post #83 of 97 Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This movie is showing at the local cinemark in XD...tempted to go tonight

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #84 of 97 Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Saw it tonight. Wasn't as good as I had hoped but you can really see how using the real men who do this worked for the 'feel' of the movie. Personally, I still prefer Black Hawk Down and something like that would be a benchmark for how well actors can do it 'right' if they had the right consultants. These guys were good at what they do but not so great at the whole acting part. I was also expecting a really teeth-rattling sound mix and didn't get that so... maybe I'm biased and need some time to let the movie set in.

Kevin, if you see this, I'd like to hear what you think of it. I know you aren't a SEAL but maybe you will see this differently than I did. To me, this just felt like a Hallmark channel movie with enough action to get the Call of Duty dorks out to watch.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #85 of 97 Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

To me, this just felt like a Hallmark channel movie with enough action to get the Call of Duty dorks out to watch.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I'd mentioned it before in this thread, even though I'm a CoD dork, the fact that it looked like they were actually trying to get that demographic into the theater is a bit of a turn-off for me. I'm 47 years old so it doesn't work on me

Cary
post #86 of 97 Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Scott,

Just saw it at the ETX theater. Did NOT like it all. Mix was so so and it felt like the resolution was very low. Can't tell whether or not it was their system but their was noticeable lag on many scenes. From the mil standpoint, lots of flaws...

Ill add more later

post #87 of 97 Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Not related but found some old equipment at the theater
LL

post #88 of 97 Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Mix was so so and it felt like the resolution was very low. Can't tell whether or not it was their system but their was noticeable lag on many scenes.

They did shoot some scenes with DSLR cameras, that have alot of problem with videoresolution. Add that they cropped it to 2.35:1 we should end up with less then 400 lines of resolution.
post #89 of 97 Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Heat and Open Range really stand out in that dept.
My favorite soundtrack (for recent military-based movies) has to be Blackhawk Down.
An incredible audio experience IMO...really brings the viewer into the movie.

post #90 of 97 Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Saving Private Ryan

nuff said

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page