Livide (A new French horror film from the makers of L’interieur (Inside) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Lucie (Chloe Coulloud), a young woman who has just taken on a new job as an assistant helping the elderly in their homes. However, one of Lucie's patients is a unique case, and no amount of training could have prepared her for Madame Jessel (Marie-Claude Pietragalla), an elderly comatose woman who is as dilapidated as the creepy Victorian house she resides in.

After her employer "conveniently" tells Lucie about a rumor that Madame Jessel has a lot of money hidden in her home, Lucie gives in to temptation and brings her boyfriend and his brother with her to break into the Jessel manor in search of fortune. Unfortunately, this trio has picked the wrong mansion to rob as they soon realize there are insidious forces of evil waiting to torture and butcher the insatiable group of friends. Thrills, chills and confusion ensue.

From Dread Central - At the premiere both directors addressed the fact that their second horror feature is a love letter to the classic Hammer films and Argento's giallos from past decades, and although it is clear that Livid is certainly not as timeless as those venerated predecessors, it effectively pays tribute to a more old school era of horror cinema. Then again, is this highly stylized Gothic horror film enough to please those who were scared witless only four years before?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like amazon.fr has a release date of May 3rd for this and assuming the info is correct it appears to have English subs and be region free. Any warnings I should heed before ordering?

Amazon.fr
Quote:

# Language: French
# Sous-titres : Anglais Subtitles: English
# Région : Toutes les régions Region: All Regions
# Rapport de forme : 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
# Nombre de disques : 1 Number of Discs: 1
# Studio : M6/Snd Studio: M6/Snd
# Date de sortie du DVD : 3 mai 2012 DVD Release Date: May 3, 2012
# Durée : 88 minutes Duration: 88 minutes

My Rig

post #3 of 20 Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Looks like amazon.fr has a release date of May 3rd for this and assuming the info is correct it appears to have English subs and be region free. Any warnings I should heed before ordering?

Amazon.fr

General,
You may want to hold off on that and check out the Amazon.de disc, release date is a week later (10 May) but it's Region B locked (of note for those that haven't gone region free yet). Here's the info:

Livid - Das Blut der Ballerinas (Uncut) 3D Blu-ray + 2D Version]

Darsteller: Jeremy Kapone, Chloe Coulloud, Felix Moati, Catherine Jacob, Marie-Claude Pirteagalla
Regisseur(e): Julien Maury, Alexandre Bustillo
Format: PAL, Widescreen
Sprache: Deutsch (DTS-HD 7.1), Englisch (DTS-HD 7.1)
Untertitel: Deutsch
Region: Region B/2
Bildseitenformat: 16:9 - 2.35:1
Anzahl Disks: 1
FSK: Freigegeben ab 18 Jahren
Studio: SUNFILM Entertainment
Erscheinungstermin: 10. Mai 2012
Produktionsjahr: 2011
Spieldauer: 95 Minuten

This one's runtime is 7 minutes longer with DTS-HD 7.1 (not sure what the Amazon.fr disc audio is).

As far as ordering from Amazon.fr, I've never had any problems with them. I've never ordered from Amazon.de before so guess this may be my first order from them (unless I can get it someplace else cheaper).

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #4 of 20 Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw that one too but it listed the format as PAL so even being region free I was concerned that the content would not display?

My Rig

post #5 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw that one too but it listed the format as PAL so even being region free I was concerned that the content would not display?

Content should display just fine but I just realized it does not have a French audio track plus no English subs. Guess I'll skip that one and see if I can find an Uncut version with French HD 7.1 audio and English subs.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #6 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Content should display just fine but I just realized it does not have a French audio track plus no English subs. Guess I'll skip that one and see if I can find an Uncut version with French HD 7.1 audio and English subs.

I think we will be stuck with the French release from what I can tell. I've checked yesasia, cdjapan, amazon.fr .ca .uk .de, ezdvd.aus. It's not even showing up anywhere so for whatever reason this is seeing a very very limited initial release. If you find something else please let me know.

My Rig

post #7 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Thanks for digging this back up. Have you guys heard any word on if it's good or not?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #8 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Trailer looks good. Region code not an issue for me. Just need English subs or I could suffer with the English soundtrack. Wonder what's in the extra minutes on the German BD.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Thanks for digging this back up. Have you guys heard any word on if it's good or not?

I've read some decent things and some not. Seems like the complaints are from the folks that expected another relentless blood bath from the makers of Inside when in-fact this is obviously an attempt at a more classic ghost story esq scary movie chalked with atmosphere instead of gallons of blood.

Between the trailer and what I've read I feel confident enough to blind buy and take one for the team Don't worry wizzack, I can always drop it in the mail for you my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Trailer looks good. Region code not an issue for me. Just need English subs or I could suffer with the English soundtrack. Wonder what's in the extra minutes on the German BD.

larry

Agreed, seems sometimes with these cuts we lose some great scenes that really add to the movie and other times it is pointless dialogue that was clearly edited because it adds nothing to the film.

I think that since we are only a few weeks from release the French version will be the only option. If Magnolia or whoever gets rights to it domestically perhaps we will see the uncut release but for now it looks like the 88 min version is the only option.

My Rig

post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course you could always wait for the American remake:

Livide' To Finally Become Livid' In American Remake

Inside directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo's artful (and French) Livide (review) is getting an American remake. Because that's what happens these days. David Birke (Kiss And Tell, Gacy) will be writing the script and one of the producers of The Strangers is onboard.

Per Deadline, French distributor SND Films is moving forward with an English language re-make of Livid', and they've set David Birke to write the script, and Doug Davison of Quadrant Pictures and Robert Léger to produce it. Davison's genre credits include The Strangers' and the upcoming remake of Old Boy at Mandate Pictures.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #11 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we will be stuck with the French release from what I can tell. I've checked yesasia, cdjapan, amazon.fr .ca .uk .de, ezdvd.aus. It's not even showing up anywhere so for whatever reason this is seeing a very very limited initial release. If you find something else please let me know.

The Amazon.de version is 3D (if anyone cares). They also have a 2D uncut version with French (DTS-HD 7.1) audio but no English subtitles.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #12 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They never learn... one epic fail after another with these remakes so no thanks.

No English subs is a deal killer so I'll pre-order from amazon.fr. My money says a US release will line up with the US remake

I checked the Livide facebook page and there is no recent info posted.

Here are a few review excerpts I found:
Quote:

''Bleak and disturbing ... a deathly pale masterpiece.'' (Deadline Magazine)

"A special kind of horror tale'' Cinema

"Alice in Wonderland meets Hellraiser, a blood-black horror tales dark and enchanting atmosphere with a blessing that one puts into simple chains. Ein filmisches Erlebnis. A cinematic experience. Otherness, original, stunningly staged tight. Unseen, dark, disturbing. Ein Meilenstein des Genres.'' Deadline A milestone of the genre.'' Deadline

"Frightening and disturbing'' Blu-Ray Magazine

"The makers of'' Torture splatter-smasher Inside deliver from their latest horror hit, who knows how to inspire, especially through its nightmarish atmosphere. An unqualified recommendation for any true horror fan'' DMM -. The media market

"Sets new standards in a fascinating way ... with all the uncompromising romantic film develops a compelling nightmare logic inspire the horror fans.'' Video market

'' Original, atmospheric, and plenty of gore!'' Dreadcentral.com

My Rig

post #13 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Between the trailer and what I've read I feel confident enough to blind buy and take one for the team Don't worry wizzack, I can always drop it in the mail for you my friend.

My man!

I'm sold on "Alice in Wonderland meets Hellraiser". Yeeaah!

Quote:

Of course you could always wait for the American remake:

Oh hell.

31 Days of Horror:

post #14 of 20 Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My amazon.fr order shipped today so I should have a review for y'all within the next couple weeks

My Rig

post #15 of 20 Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My amazon.fr order shipped today so I should have a review for y'all within the next couple weeks

So did mine.

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #16 of 20 Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received an email from Amazon France advising me that my 'Livide' Blu Ray has been delayed until the end of the month.

General K, did you receive anything about yours? Is it still on the way?

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #17 of 20 Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just received an email from Amazon France advising me that my 'Livide' Blu Ray has been delayed until the end of the month.

General K, did you receive anything about yours? Is it still on the way?

Seriously?! That blows! I did get an email from amazon.fr but it was just letting me know about what I saved since a price drop. Man I hope I don't get delayed too. What other French online retail options do we have?

My Rig

post #18 of 20 Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just in from France:

I popped the disc in just to make sure it would play and I can confirm that it is region free and does have French DTS-HD MA 5.1 with English subs and the PQ looks solid to boot! More to follow in my review. I was planning to watch this tonight but my wife is taking the kids to see her mom this weekend so I'm saving it for Friday with HT cranked and lights off.

My Rig

post #19 of 20 Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Livide is a classic haunted house story at it's core. The time period it takes place in is never clearly established but it appears to be early 1980's with flashback scenes going back to 1935ish. The story centers around Lucie who tags along with an independent elderly care provider to visit some old folks in different homes and administer medication, change sheets, etc. The last woman they visit Jessel is comatosed and requires regular blood transfusions. Jessel used to run a ballet dance studio from her home which is a fantastic large and macabre labyrinth filled with wall to wall stuffed animal heads. Jessel's caregiver tells Lucie that the key around Jessel's neck is to "her treasure" but she doesn't know what that treasure is. Lucie is talked into breaking into the house to search for this treasure with her boyfriend and his buddy late that night... bad idea.

Livide was a movie to me that did not seem quite sure where it wanted to go. It gave hints about the taxidermist background but no real explanation. The mystery of the house, Jessel, and her daughter Anna are inadequately explained leaving more questions than answers which I found somewhat distracting from the successes of the film which were atmosphere and some genuinely creepy moments. The runtime of 90 minutes was a bit short to me given the holes needing filling. There were some good scares and a few good goreiffic scenes that I wont spoil. Overall I found the film enjoyable and satisfying with my biggest complaint being that I wanted more to have a complete picture of the story being told. This may be a film that will require repeat viewings to pick up on missed subtleties and fill in those blanks.

The picture quality was somewhat inconsistent. The opening credits looked fantastic with superb depth of image. A low to moderate amount of grain added to the gritty feel of the film however black levels seemed a bit high in some of the indoor night scenes. Detail was well preserved throughout the film and flesh tones were consistent with the primary colors used in the film which had a blue tone in most scenes with the exception of the flashbacks which were dominated by sepia tones, warm and earthy.

The DTS-HA MA 5.1 track had to be turned up about 7 levels higher than my normal confortable volume. Dialogue was clear and consistently audible. The mains and rears were not overly active, the audio track overall was somewhat dull save a few scenes. The LFE was near non-existent which was a let down as I felt with bit more dynamics in the score the film could have had more impact.

As I said I did enjoy this film and would still own a copy had I rented it first but the previews make this out to be scarier then it ended up being so I may not have rushed to import this had I seen it first.

My Rig

post #20 of 20 Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice review Kenobi! I was hoping this would blow your doors off but at least it wasn't horrible. Sounds like a worthy October selection.

31 Days of Horror:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page