AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/)
-   -   Pearl Harbor 70th Anniversary - What movies will you be watching? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1376895-pearl-harbor-70th-anniversary-what-movies-will-you-watching.html)

Altaira 12-01-2011 01:20 PM

I've already started a War mini festival in honor of Pearl Harbor Day. The first two look at both the American and the Japanese experiences in WWII.

* Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/

Excellent, but long account of events leading up to and the bombing of Pearl Harbor.


* Hiroshima (1995 mini-series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113309/

This docudrama is a well-done blending of actual footage and actors portraying American and Japanese leaders and their decisions leading up to the bombing of Hiroshima. (I picked this DVD up at Amazon for $6.99. It is in full screen, but also includes an edited version of John Ford's December 7th (1943) and a training film, Recognition Of The Japanese Zero (1943), starring a fresh-faced Ronnie Reagan.)

machavez00 12-01-2011 01:45 PM

You can add Midway.

Rammitinski 12-01-2011 02:43 PM

Well, I'll honor the casuaties of that event in my own way, but I certainly won't honor the event itself.

Similar to how actual conflict veterans never want to talk about their experiences in their subsequent, post-war lives, I'm not especially big on watching re-creations of them.

Altaira 12-01-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Well, I'll honor the casuaties of that event in my own way, but I certainly won't honor the event itself.

Similar to how actual conflict veterans never want to talk about their experiences in their subsequent, post-war lives, I'm not especially big on watching re-creations of them.

Fair enough.

I never was a big war movie buff until I started researching my dad's service during WWII. He served in the Navy for most of the war and was involved in several major battles, including D-Day. His ship was hit by a kamikaze pilot near Okinawa. He never talked about it much.

smudge981 12-01-2011 05:23 PM

* Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/

Done in one.

oink 12-01-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

* Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/

Done in one.

Coming out on BD Tuesday.

thehun 12-02-2011 12:01 AM

What no love for the "obvious choice" ?

Altaira 12-02-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

What no love for the "obvious choice" ?

I have trouble watching anything with Ben Affleck, so I have been spared that gem.

When he is on screen, he is like a black hole. He sucks the life out of any film
I've seen him in.

Altaira 12-05-2011 11:22 AM

We watched Nihon no ichiban nagai hi (1967) (aka Japan's Longest Day).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062041/


This almost 3-hour B&W film was made for Toho Studio's 35th anniversary. Many of Toho's biggest stars appear, including Toshiro Mifune.

The docudrama recounts the last days before Japan finally surrendered. I was surprised by all the back story. It mostly explains why Japan took so long to surrender, even after being nuked - twice.

Aliens 12-05-2011 12:37 PM

You may or may not be interested in these specials.

The History Channel Wednesday @8PM

Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After

This two-hour special offers an in-depth look at the critical 24-hour period after news of Japan's attack on U.S. soil in 1941 reached the President. Drawing on exhaustive research and new information provided by the FDR Library, this special gives a rare and surprising glimpse at the man behind the Presidency and how he confronted the enormous challenge of transitioning the nation from peace to war.

HDNET Tuesday @8PM

Dan Rather Reports: Dan Rather Remembers Pearl Harbor

Seventy years after the United States was launched into World War II, veteran reporter Dan Rather returns to Hawaii to explore the day that will live in infamy and how its meaning has changed with the passage of time.

My DVR is set.

Morpheo 12-05-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaira View Post

I have trouble watching anything with Ben Affleck, so I have been spared that gem.

When he is on screen, he is like a black hole. He sucks the life out of any film
I've seen him in.

have you seen The Town?

Altaira 12-06-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

have you seen The Town?

No, I haven't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

You may or may not be interested in these specials.

The History Channel Wednesday @8PM
Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After
This two-hour special offers an in-depth look at the critical 24-hour period after news of Japan's attack on U.S. soil in 1941 reached the President. Drawing on exhaustive research and new information provided by the FDR Library, this special gives a rare and surprising glimpse at the man behind the Presidency and how he confronted the enormous challenge of transitioning the nation from peace to war.

HDNET Tuesday @8PM
Dan Rather Reports: Dan Rather Remembers Pearl Harbor
Seventy years after the United States was launched into World War II, veteran reporter Dan Rather returns to Hawaii to explore the day that will live in infamy and how its meaning has changed with the passage of time.

Thanks! I'll check those out.

MovieSwede 12-06-2011 02:04 PM

What about "The Final Countdown". Thats one of my favourite Pearl Harbor movies. And how do we know it didnt happend that way?

Speedskater 12-06-2011 05:11 PM

I'll just have some Birthday cake!
I'm the last of the pre-war babies.

Wytchone 12-07-2011 11:07 AM

I think Im going to watch Battle:LA

Rach 12-08-2011 01:54 PM

I started Cowboys and Aliens.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.