Judging Movies..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
At what point do you stop critiquing your system and start blaming the movie soundtrack....

I watched Battle LA, i like bass, and stupid action movies. I then watch Priest, and found the bass had one note and a bit lack luster....

Dont hang me out for liking stupid space alien movies LOL, only to start trusting my system......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Multi sub Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Garage Audio !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know about others, but after I went through the process of calibrating my system to be sure it's correct. Some movies just lack in the bass department.

Anyways, if you haven't already, make sure the system is calibrated correctly. There are quite a few tools to help you out with this.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
His system is most certainly calibrated.

As mproper notes, some movies just aren't that great in the bass department. Even some movies get praise for it (Super 8) yet are really lacking compared to others. I really noticed this when I went from my single Tempest 15" to dual 18" LLT's. There were some that sounded not that great after I had super clean, effortless bass. And hheeeyyy wait. Shouldn't this be in the subwoofer section?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #4 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

As mproper notes, some movies just aren't that great in the bass department. Even some movies get praise for it (Super 8) yet are really lacking compared to others. I really noticed this when I went from my single Tempest 15" to dual 18" LLT's. There were some that sounded not that great after I had super clean, effortless bass. And hheeeyyy wait. Shouldn't this be in the subwoofer section?

I calibrated with Audyssey, which i like. Just wondering aout the other guys......are there any audio ladies

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I wish.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #6 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some movies are just a waste of time with no action or intense room shaking effects. Once your audio system is calibrated, then it's time to play only those movies that are going to really satisfy!!!

"If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!"
Equipment:
Classe SSP-600 Processor
Rotel RMB-1095 Amplifier
Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
Oppo BDP-95 Blu Ray Player
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts/Studio 40 Rears/Studio CC-450 Center
Mirage BPS-400 Subwoofer
post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Some movies just lack in the bass department.
Anyways, if you haven't already, make sure the system is calibrated correctly. There are quite a few tools to help you out with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

The amp for my quad 18" IB is in a separate room. The remote to turn it on can be a little finicky and sometimes does not turn on - especially when it was new to me. So a movie like Super 8 ,or others that do not deliver in the ULF, makes me get up out of my chair to verify the subs are on by touching the drivers. Never have that problem with Battle LA, you KNOW the subs are on.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

The amp for my quad 18" IB is in a separate room. The remote to turn it on can be a little finicky and sometimes does not turn on - especially when it was new to me. So a movie like Super 8 ,or others that do not deliver in the ULF, makes me get up out of my chair to verify the subs are on by touching the drivers. Never have that problem with Battle LA, you KNOW the subs are on.

Among those of us who pay close attention to the strength of weakness of ULF on action movie BDs' HD audio tracks, I agree that Super 8 was puzzlingly weak in that regard but that Battle LA, stupid though it may have been otherwise, had awe inspiring LFE.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page