The official "I prefer VHS" thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Call me crazy, but I think there's a certain charm to movies on VHS... the softness of the image can sometimes work to the movie's advantage. Maybe it's just nostalgia, though.

I am enjoying my growing blu-ray collection, but sometimes the image is so clear and crisp that I spend half the time in amazement at the clarity and detail that I forget to actually watch the movie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 251
this is a cool site that has tons of vhs box art scans.

http://serialkillercalendar.com/VHSWASTELAND/index.html

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #63 of 74 Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It would appear that you're not alone, check this new documentary out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...this?ref=video

Some more info on the project here.

One interesting comment in the video is that 50% of VHS content is not available on any other format.

post #64 of 74 Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

This is true. It is the old expression that you can never go back,even if you could ,you have changed.

Well thankfully Art,I HAVE NOT CHANGED!

I still know what GOOD QUALITY is and i prefer it
post #65 of 74 Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I still have the last VCR that I bought, a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U DVHS, and am still using one of the last Mits DLP TV's that had dual IEEE 1394 inputs. I also still have hundreds of tapes, both standard and SVHS, on which I have recorded a bunch of stuff, though it's mostly movies from pay-cable, but also have every Super Bowl from XX on tape.

I like keeping "legacy" stuff around, hell, I still have an old PC that runs DOS.
post #66 of 74 Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Encore Video in Tully, NY is still alive and kicking! Photos from the Freddy in Space blog:

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #67 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Thank you Wizzack!

That was an interesting article on that page you provided buddy

Analogue is the best!!
post #68 of 74 Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 692
OK. I can't really say I prefer VHS to, say, a nice HD Blu-ray transfer. But it is kinda fun watchin some of my old recordings again in this format.

My last VHS deck broke quite a number of years ago. And I never bothered to replace it. But I kept most of my tapes (even though there was no way to watch em).

Recently I went looking for a new deck, mainly for the purpose of sorting through the old tapes to get rid of them. And I found that none of the electronics stores carry them anymore, not even Walmart! So I dug up an old Sony deck from the year 2002 that was still in the box with the original manual, remote and even the batteries! (which fortunately hadn't corroded) at a local pawnshop instead. And my trip down VHS memory lane commenced...

It's alot of fun playin with this old tech! And the tapes look and sound quite a bit better than I expected, even though the Sony deck does seem to add a fair amount of icky edge-enhancement. I'm surprised many of my tapes still play though, because they're so old and moth-eaten. And would not expect them to hold up for too many more viewings.

There is something kinda special though about old analog technologies like this. I still have an old SD tube TV as well (though I got rid of the 200 lb. HD monster). I could definitely see this tech making a partial comeback, especially if the decks were improved a bit, and didn't add so much ringing to the images. Hell, most people these days watch their favorite movies and TV shows on a phone, or a tablet, or a laptop, which is quite a bit smaller than the tube TVs we used back in the day. If you had a way to plug one in, a VHS tape probably wouldn't look that bad on your iPhone! And it would have that nice analog sound quality to boot! I'll bet Mr. Jobs (may he rest in peace) didn't see that one comin.

If we can have a president from the 1950's, then why not some video tech from the 1970's? Maybe we should bring back flared jeans and Daisy Dukes too?

I rest my case.
Dr.Evazan likes this.

ADU
post #69 of 74 Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I could definitely see this tech making a partial comeback, especially if the decks were improved a bit, and didn't add so much ringing to the images. Hell, most people these days watch their favorite movies and TV shows on a phone, or a tablet, or a laptop, which is quite a bit smaller than the tube TVs we used back in the day. If you had a way to plug one in, a VHS tape probably wouldn't look that bad on your iPhone! And it would have that nice analog sound quality to boot! I'll bet Mr. Jobs (may he rest in peace) didn't see that one comin.

No I think it's dead. Vinyls are making a comeback because they're not just fun, they can also sound as good (or better?...) as CDs... there is a real quality to a vinyl recording, there's an audiophile market for it, it's not just about nostalgia... Whereas VHS will always look like crap, even on my iPhone screen (!) ...imagine watching a VHS on a 100" screen... "my eyes, MY EYES!!!"
ADU likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #70 of 74 Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
book ''I lost it all at the video store''
Quote:
I am not excited about streaming at all. I like something hard and tangible in my hand. And I can’t watch a movie on a laptop. I don’t use Netflix at all. I don’t have any sort of delivery system. I have the videos from Video Archives. They went out of business, and I bought their inventory. Probably close to eight thousand tapes and DVDs. I have a bunch of DVDs and a bunch of videos, and I still tape movies off of television on video so I can keep my collection going.

Quentin Tarantino
post #71 of 74 Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5096 Post(s)
Liked: 11763
For you VHS heads. Behold Jungle Trap VHS & DVD

And remember, please be kind and rewind.

Quote:
Shot in 1990 and unreleased until THIS VERY MOMENT. The final collaboration
between exploitation demigods James Bryan (DON??T GO IN THE WOODS) and the
late Renee Harmon (FROZEN SCREAM), JUNGLE TRAP is a decapitation-fueled,
shot-on-video horror masterpiece about a jungle hotel haunted by kill-crazy ghosts in
loin cloths. The movie remained unedited, unscored, and unseen by human eyes for
over two decades . . . UNTIL NOW. Under Bryan??s guidance, the Bleeding Skull! team
meticulously edited the movie and recorded a soundtrack utilizing vintage 1980s
synthesizers. For the first time ever, Bryan and Harmon??s raging slab of anti-sanity can
be deeply enjoyed by the world's most adventurous viewers.

ADU likes this.

post #72 of 74 Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Some benefits of owning a VHS player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
For you VHS heads. Behold Jungle Trap VHS & DVD

https://youtu.be/uNUbuvLEKOk
Think I'll pass on that one, Wabo. But many thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not sayin everyone should trade in their new 4K players and TVs (or projectors) for an old VHS deck and an SD CRT, btw. I'm just saying it's one of many options to consider! There are alot of downsides to VHS, which I'm sure most here already know (EE and tracking issues would be near the top of my list, based on my recent viewing experiences). But there are also some upsides to the format...

The nostalgic appeal is one thing (aready mentioned). And there's the fact that some movies on VHS (that a few of us like) still aren't readily available in other home video formats. There's also the fact that it's analog, rather than digital, which some people also like. And that VHS tapes can usually be had much cheaper than other home video formats (if you want to own something, rather than just streaming it). There are probably alot of folks who still own 4:3 TVs as well (like me, for instance), who might find VHS tapes a better fit for their screens than other formats... So there are still some legitimate reasons to use the format.

I've been going through my old VHS tapes, and there are some which are still pretty watchable in this format. I've tried copying some of my tape recordings to DVD as well. And in most cases, the original VHS tapes still look and sound better than the discs. So that might be another "upside" to having a VHS deck as well.

I also discovered today that I can create anamorphic VHS tapes using video files from the Internet Archive and my Blu-ray player (which has RCA video and audio outs). Not really sure why I'd ever want to do somethin like that, but it is sort of interesting.

If I had more tapes, and really wanted to get the most out of em, then I might consider getting a better quality prosumer type VHS deck, rather than a cheap little Sony. In my case though, it would cost less (probably significantly less) to just upgrade the movies to better quality commercial DVDs or Blu-rays.

Most of the movies I'll be keepin on VHS are older horror, SF, and crime/suspense type films like Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, and other things of that ilk. I still have pretty decent copies of some old Uni horror and Hitchcock films on VHS, for example. And will probably keep a few of those around til I can afford to replace them with somethin better.

I wouldn't mind picking up The Keep on VHS as well (if I had the $$ for it), because it's still, AFAIK, unavailable on disc.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
post #73 of 74 Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
book ''I lost it all at the video store''
Quote:
I am not excited about streaming at all. I like something hard and tangible in my hand. And I can’t watch a movie on a laptop. I don’t use Netflix at all. I don’t have any sort of delivery system. I have the videos from Video Archives. They went out of business, and I bought their inventory. Probably close to eight thousand tapes and DVDs. I have a bunch of DVDs and a bunch of videos, and I still tape movies off of television on video so I can keep my collection going.

Quentin Tarantino
Sounds like him.

ADU
post #74 of 74 Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
And remember, please be kind and rewind.
Good advice btw.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page