Moonrise Kingdom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Long-awaited new film from Wes Anderson has it's first trailer released. Cast includes Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel, and Jason Schwartzman.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I like.
Is Wes Anderson back in the saddle again?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I like.
Is Wes Anderson back in the saddle again?

First feature he has written and directed since 2007's The Darjeeling Limited. According to IMDb he co-wrote that with Roman Coppola, who also helped co-write this film.
post #4 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Must see day 1! Love Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Royal Tenenbaums

His best movie IMO.

post #6 of 39 Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
His only good film, imho. But, this looks interesting.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #7 of 39 Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why are they going with such a scattershot release plan? Does anyone know when the wide release date is?

post #8 of 39 Old 05-26-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
rental....as was RT which I enjoyed.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #9 of 39 Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

His only good film, imho. But, this looks interesting.

Rushmore is the only movie he's made that works for me.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #10 of 39 Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Loved Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Life Aquatic. Like Rushmore and Tennenbaums. I guess that makes me a Wes Anderson fan. Internet hate for him is very strong these days, but he is one of the few Hollywood directors who truly has his own style, and is determined to get his movies made, even if he has to do it with relatively low budgets.

post #11 of 39 Old 05-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
WA strikes me as a hipster Tim Burton, lol.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #12 of 39 Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Screened it last week. Loved it! Off beat and intriguing. Looking forward to my blu ray copy for review down the road.

David Budo
post #13 of 39 Old 05-28-2012, 12:46 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

WA strikes me as a hipster Tim Burton, lol.

TB strikes me as a hipster Tiny Tim, lol.
post #14 of 39 Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
The wife and I saw this one yesterday. Wes Anderson FINALLY hit one out of the park IMHO. I do not praise too many romantic comedies, but this is a great movie, while remaining well outside of the mainstream of Hollywood productions. It is also the first acting credit for both 12-year-old stars, Jared Gilman and Kara Howard. I predict long careers for both.

Sadly "New Penzance Island" is fictional, there in fact is no such Island offshore of the smallest state, and the actual Block Island, RI does not even superficially resemble the terrain seen in the movie. However, the entire film was shot in various parts in the mainland of the state of Rhode Island, lending a unique look and feel to the production.

In an odd reversal of the normal order of things, the plot makes perfect sense from the audience perspective of a 12-year-old, while the actions of the adults seem unfathomable. The reviews I read before screening the film speculated that Moonrise Kingdom was partially autobiographical on the part of Anderson. This is actually foolish, as he was born and raised in Texas, four years after the 1965 setting of this story. Instead, the film Rushmore is partially based on Anderson's life.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #15 of 39 Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I love how people cite this that or the other Wes Anderson movie as "the one where he finally gets it right," when all of his movies are basically the same as one another. You pick any one of his films, and there will be a contingent of viewers who say, "That's the only Wes Anderson movie I like." For some, it's Rushmore. For some, it's Tenenbaums. For some, Life Aquatic or Fantastic Mr. Fox. And whichever one they like, they usually despise all of the others. Yet if you look at them objectively, they're all pretty much the same.

I just find it interesting how his movies ride such a fine line, that even the minutest of differences can throw people in radically different directions.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16 of 39 Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I love all his stuff really, so I'm sure I'll like this one as well. We obviously share a common sense of humor.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #17 of 39 Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked Rushmore. I liked The Royal Tenenbaums a bit less. I put The Life Aquatic on the "never again" list. I loved Moonrise Kingdom. I didn't see any others.

Gary McCoy

post #18 of 39 Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

A bump to let everyone know that this fine film is now available on disk and via streaming video.

Gary McCoy

post #19 of 39 Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Favorite WA film :thumbup:

Most of his films feel "forced" in that the characters don't seem real to me. Loved this movie!

post #20 of 39 Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Considering the word of mouth on this film, I am debating a blind buy.

WA is, for me at least, a hit or miss filmmaker.
Loved Tenebaums, liked Rushmore, and the others I will never watch again.

post #21 of 39 Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Loved Tenebaums, liked Rushmore, and the others I will never watch again.
Buy it, you won't be sorry. My nephew (a huge WA fan also) and I saw this in the theater when it came out and both our faces hurt from smiling so much. I thought Rushmore was WA's master's thesis and Moonrise is his Phd. The film is non-stop strange, weird, extremely funny, at times very touching, engaging and just plain fun to look at. Be sure to check out the custom made covers for the books in the film. It's the attention to details in the film that helped me enjoy it more.

post #22 of 39 Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Rent it first. I liked it. I didn't love it. The story is good, the dialogue stiff with amusing moments.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I found this one hilarious, funnier than Mr. Fox. Never saw any of his other movies.

Regular DVD looks very grainy and color was over saturated. How was blu-ray?
post #24 of 39 Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
saw it for first time last night.

very good film, one of best i've seen this year.
probably his best flick since tennenbaums

neflixis our nemesis
post #25 of 39 Old 05-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Liked: 60
Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - 8

During my childhood and early adolescence, I had the privilege to own an incredible aptitude for dreaminess. It was common to find myself daydreaming with riveting places, landscapes, people or music which made me outburst with feelings or emotions so different from everything else that I still don't know if there are words able to describe them. Those daydreams were the stage of the deepest love fantasies of my early adolescence. As I grew older, this aptitude weakened progressively and today my mind is so gripped to reality that I cannot disconnect and feel the blaze of other worlds anymore. Nowadays, I am blessed with such visceral experiences only, and by rare luck, during sleep. Unfortunately, I forget most dreams. Cinema and music are the only escapes able to relieve me from the absence of my childhood reveries, but, try as they might, the experiences they offer are rarely close to be as visceral and unique as those that my mind can induce myself into. Moonrise Kingdom is far from being such visceral experience, but it leaves me with faint nostalgia because the story portrayed features the same kind of platonic young love affair that I fantasized in my early adolescent digressions: a love adventure tale in a wistfully beautiful and stormy landscape. So far, this is my favorite Wes Anderson movie, it's the only one that graces me with a cinematic experience that comes remotely close to transfigure into a waking dream. I also think this is the most powerful expression of the oblique quality that distinguishes his movies from the others.

The offbeat pathos is apparent in the aesthetic polish and narrative sophistication of Moonrise Kingdom. Here is yet another fine example of Wes Anderson's predilection to whimsically deliberate his characters' behavioral profiles. The youths are the main characters in this story and are endowed with obvious adultlike mannerisms, the acting is not exemplary, but this actually adds to the charm and funniness of the young characters. One more time, I perceived a tendency to dissect an almost intangible quality from some human subjects, Sam Shakusky and Suzy Bishop don't seem to be absolutely inserted in who they are (supposed to be), their manners are not as raw and settled as reality would demand. Their personalities seem to balance precariously on a tightrope at the limit of their elusive definition, just like appears to be the case with other subjects in The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore. But it is unreasonable to ask for such accomplished acting from kids or teenagers without any prior acting skills, so either this young couple of actors is monumentally talented or Wes Anderson is an expert at the art of crafting his characters by using actors as mere tools. Or maybe this fleeting and almost intangible quality I'm drooling about is nothing more than an illusion or wishful thinking of mine... and, in part, it probably is.

The wonderfully crafted cinematography and soundtrack enhance the dreamlike quality of the experience and contribute to forge different moods throughout the movie. Wes Anderson always reveals great musical taste in his movies, a quality I highly appreciate. The script and editing work are typically excellent and the camera work may be the most formal I've seen from Wes until now. Distractions come down to some poorly camouflaged CGI effects and little else. Once more, the story has a happy ending for the protagonists and yet again, the movie is more than just the story. In Moonrise Kingdom, more than the other Wes' works I've seen, the style itself adds to the substance and owns part of the appeal of the movie. Moonrise Kingdom is very easy to be enjoyed as a visceral, exciting and fun cinematic experience. I don't find it as hilarious as Rushmore, but I see it as a natural evolution of Wes Anderson's cinematic style. Wonderful movie, highly recommended!

PS: I was looking for a place to post my Rushmore mini-review a couple of days ago, but since the only thread about that film is 10 years old and is locked I may just post it here as well... why isn't here a "Rate the last movie you watched" thread or something like that anyway?
post #26 of 39 Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 AM

I have nowhere else to put it, so here it goes.

Rushmore (1998) - 8

Work that precedes The Royal Tenenbaums, which shares significant DNA. Rushmore is a comedy largely supported by the ridiculously adult and smug ethos of Max Fischer. A 15-year-old boy without the slightest notion of proportionality supposed to measure the ways of a teenager in his age when getting along with other people. He treats old-timers and youths as if they were all his equals, endowed with fearless bravura and propelled by his creative and enterprising wits. His hyperbolic character leads him to casually spark a friendship with a much older industrial man who builds admiration for the boy's pseudo-adult attitude. Both of them eventually find their hearts beating for the same woman, a beautiful teacher in Rushmore school, where Max... doesn't study. Each one will try to win the teacher's love in his own way and naturally the romantic mechanics between a bold 15-year-old boy and a woman with the competition of an even older man mixed in is a recipe for bizarre and hilarious situations throughout. I enjoyed very much the theater play scenes, they gave another quality and vitality to Rushmore. In a way, those scenes highlighted the evidence that there's a clear contrast between what can be real and what cannot, the difference between reality and fiction. Reality is not utopian like fiction, nothing happens out of pure will. Anything demands effort, patience and sense of proportionality. Everything comes in its right time and has its own place. A lesson that young Max Fischer has learned by the end of the film.

Wes Anderson likes to fantasize with people, seems like he is trying to capture some precious unobtainium underlying human relations and psyche. He plays with personal and social limits. There's usually a somewhat eccentric character, or group of characters, who have to endure through ordeals to reach the desired goal or redemption. Personal development is a common theme in Wes Cinema. Prominent attention is given to small gestures, either manifestations of affection or contempt. Younger people are an important part of the social mechanics and adults can't get away from giving satisfactions to youths when these so demand. In fact, children have adultlike maturity and social skill. This particular point is a source of great amusement for me, but it's subtle. Max Fischer is that taken to the limit. So far, Wes movies have left me with the feeling of a bittersweet spell hovering over all human relations. They're sweet movies in an unreal way, but although it's artificially crafted sweetness, it feels natural and organic. Everything flows coherently in a mannerist way. The acting could be better, but it's not too distracting. Rushmore is smartly written, technically flawless, engaging, emotionally powerful and super fun! I burst into laughter on an almost regular basis, I love the way how Wes constantly throws in snippets of humor to keep a smile on my face. Flavored and tasty Cinema. Wonderful cinematography and Olivia Williams is a goddess! I enjoyed Rushmore very much. Recommended!
post #27 of 39 Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great reviews.smile.gif

post #28 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks. smile.gif
Some quality proofreading would come in handy though. I still make too much mistakes...
I wonder if you guys can tell that I'm not a native English speaker from my writing.
post #29 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Thanks. smile.gif
Some quality proofreading would come in handy though. I still make too much mistakes...
I wonder if you guys can tell that I'm not a native English speaker from my writing.

Russian?

Your English vocabulary is terrific. I detected some unusual word usage and syntax, but apart from that it's hard to tell you are not a native English speaker. Your writing is colorful and beautifully descriptive.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM

No, not Russian.
Curiously, my native language is said by most foreigners to Sound a bit like Russian, even though it is totally unrelated, haha.
I'm Portuguese but I've learned English since primary school. I wouldn't be surprised if my English writing is better than my Portuguese, but I'm trying to be proficient in both. I originally write these reviews in my native language, and then I translate to English.

Appreciate the words. smile.gif
Do you have a good degree of proficiency in English?
I really would like to have a proofreader or editor checkout my stuff...
I probably will signup in some writing forum...
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page