Oscar Nominations - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 175 Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I loved Million Dollar Baby and was pleased to see it win the Best Picture Oscar. Nevertheless, the Academy's failure to even nominate V for Vendetta was just another of the travesties it so often perpetrates. What makes it worse is that with the exception of Million Dollar Baby all of that year's other Best Picture nominees were dramatically inferior to V for Vendetta. At least that's out story and we're sticking to it.

V was robbed....without question.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 175 Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I loved Million Dollar Baby and was pleased to see it win the Best Picture Oscar. Nevertheless, the Academy's failure to even nominate V for Vendetta was just another of the travesties it so often perpetrates.

And Hugo Weaving's impeccable performance (+ Natalie, of course!) makes V For Vendetta one of my favorite movies from the past few years. Speaking of actor's performance, I guess Jean Dujardin is living a dream he didn't see coming! I've seen many of his movies from light comedies to more subtle roles and in every case he manages to add depth to his characters, making them obviously more interesting, even when it's a silly comedy.
Morpheo is online now  
post #63 of 175 Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

And Hugo Weaving's impeccable performance (+ Natalie, of course!) makes V For Vendetta one of my favorite movies from the past few years. Speaking of actor's performance, I guess Jean Dujardin is living a dream he didn't see coming! I've seen many of his movies from light comedies to more subtle roles and in every case he manages to add depth to his characters, making them obviously more interesting, even when it's a silly comedy.

I understand why Hugo Weaving's performance of a lifetime in the role of a lifetime in V For Vendetta reminded you of Jean Dujardin. Until I saw Dujardin's powerful performance in The Artist, I had neither seen nor heard of him but I certainly know who he is now. In stark contrast to Weaving's work in V For Vendetta, Dujardin's achievement has been recognized with a Best Actor Oscar nomination. I suspect that if George Clooney doesn't win it for The Descendants, the Best Actor Oscar will go to Dujardin, which would suit me fine.
gwsat is offline  
post #64 of 175 Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well i guess not a clear cut choice of the best movies/performances this year.

the golden globes, sag awards, and oscar nominations are all over the place.


it will probably turn out to be a year where the very best film is entirely overlooked (e.g. remember 2005 when miilion dollar baby won and my favorite,
v for vendetta wasn't even nominated).

It happens every year, somebody's favorite won't get nominated.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #65 of 175 Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

It happens every year, somebody's favorite won't get nominated.

Quite true.
I only wish the Powers-That-Be would consult me on what deserves to be nominated.....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #66 of 175 Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

And Hugo Weaving's impeccable performance (+ Natalie, of course!) makes V For Vendetta one of my favorite movies from the past few years. Speaking of actor's performance, I guess Jean Dujardin is living a dream he didn't see coming! I've seen many of his movies from light comedies to more subtle roles and in every case he manages to add depth to his characters, making them obviously more interesting, even when it's a silly comedy.

unlike the prequels, natalie really can act with with decent director.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #67 of 175 Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quite true.
I only wish the Powers-That-Be would consult me on what deserves to be nominated.....

What if a film from the past that was obviously deserving could be nominated? Imagine the possibilities! How cool would that be?

Then again, it removes money from the process, so impossible. I can dream
thedeskE is online now  
post #68 of 175 Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quite true.
I only wish the Powers-That-Be would consult me on what deserves to be nominated.....

You know what? the Oscar Powers that Be have never consulted me, either, so I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!
gwsat is offline  
post #69 of 175 Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

What if a film from the past that was obviously deserving could be nominated? Imagine the possibilities! How cool would that be?

In that case, we could have BPoftD (BEST PICTURE OF THE DECADE).


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You know what? the Oscar Powers that Be have never consulted me, either, so I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Again...we're on the same wavelength.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #70 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
another film that really got snubbed was 50/50. just saw it last night and it is the best film i've seen this year. seth rogan was hilarious and touching, and joseph gordon levitt deserves a nomination.

excellent film.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #71 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

another film that really got snubbed was 50/50. just saw it last night and it is the best film i've seen this year. seth rogan was hilarious and touching, and joseph gordon levitt deserves a nomination.

excellent film.

I found it very disappointing, it did not portray cancer or the effects of cancer treatment very realistically.... Cancer is so much fun let's shave your head, go out drinking and pick up some chicks... yea right. Anyone that's been through chemo or radiation treatment knows that's a load of BS.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #72 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I found it very disappointing, it did not portray cancer or the effects of cancer treatment very realistically.... Cancer is so much fun let's shave your head, go out drinking and pick up some chicks... yea right. Anyone that's been through chemo or radiation treatment knows that's a load of BS.

as well as those who have loved ones who went through those things and lost..... It just isn't a laughing matter.

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #73 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You guys are really cynical. This is based on a TRUE story... a story of how THIS guy dealt with HIS circumstances and the perspective he came out on the other side with. If you already knew your own personal circumstances regarding cancer made it a sore subject for you than why are you even paying this film any attention? The trailer alone makes it clear it isn't heavy or sullen with the subject matter.

Relevant: http://www.movieline.com/2011/09/01/...eds-a-rewrite/
lwright84 is offline  
post #74 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Anyone that's been through chemo or radiation treatment knows that's a load of BS.

I never have...but I know I never want to.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #75 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

You guys are really cynical. This is based on a TRUE story... a story of how THIS guy dealt with HIS circumstances and the perspective he came out on the other side with. If you already knew your own personal circumstances regarding cancer made it a sore subject for you than why are you even paying this film any attention? The trailer alone makes it clear it isn't heavy or sullen with the subject matter.

Relevant: http://www.movieline.com/2011/09/01/...eds-a-rewrite/

I know it's base on a true story, that's what interested me about the movie in the first place. My problem with the movie is the offhanded way it handled how devastating cancer and cancer treatment can be.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #76 of 175 Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I know it's base on a true story, that's what interested me about the movie in the first place. My problem with the movie is the offhanded way it handled how devastating cancer and cancer treatment can be.

You can read right in the interview I linked, that is how this guy dealt with it. He is actually friends with Seth Rogen, and they literally filtered the whole ordeal through humor. I'm not saying that is what you should do or should've done, or that you're wrong for how you've handled your own circumstances, but I think it's a bit odd to criticize a film based on a person's actual events for not conforming to your experience of similar events.
lwright84 is offline  
post #77 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So what happened to the brave slogans of yours airboss? : like "open mind", and "those who like something different". I guess this film was neither conventional nor utterly sick and weird to your liking, so I guess it's not for everyone isn't it.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #78 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 81
True story: on local news this lady who had breast cancer said she watched a funny movie every single day ( I forgot how long she did it for) and the laughing from watching these movies every day she believed made her cancer free. I guess the moral of the story is to try to be positive and not be depressed but that's really hard to do.

I knew this 1st hand as my mother tried her best to be positive and take her mind off it but eventually could not win the fight. Anything one can do to keep your mind strong and worry free wouldn't hurt at all.
zoey67 is offline  
post #79 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

You can read right in the interview I linked, that is how this guy dealt with it. He is actually friends with Seth Rogen, and they literally filtered the whole ordeal through humor. I'm not saying that is what you should do or should've done, or that you're wrong for how you've handled your own circumstances, but I think it's a bit odd to criticize a film based on a person's actual events for not conforming to your experience of similar events.

Sort of how he dealt with it....

From the interview:

Out Sept. 30, the charming and tearjerking 50/50 isn't an exact account of what Reiser went through -- though it does feature many hallmarks of his own life...

Again, from the interview:

Will Reiser: Well, first of all, I want to say, it's definitely fiction. It's definitely inspired by what we went through.

Nothing wrong with dealing with it any way you chose, it sucks having cancer and the treatment is not pleasant at all.

All I'm saying is IMHO it would have been a better film if the effects of chemo/radiation treatment were handled in a more realistic manner and not just glossed over.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #80 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Airboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

So what happened to the brave slogans of yours airboss? : like "open mind", and "those who like something different". I guess this film was neither conventional nor utterly sick and weird to your liking, so I guess it's not for everyone isn't it.

My comments on this film have nothing to do with what you have written. I'm simply stating that I felt it would have been a better film if the actually side effects/treatment of chemo and radiation had been more realistic.

Everyone deals with the news that "You have cancer" differently. If that is the way he chose to deal with his cancer more power to him. Regardless of how he chose to deal with the fact that he had cancer the film did not give a realistic view of how hard cancer treatment can be on your body and soul.

Hopefully you will never find out what I'm talking about and you can go on believing that cancer is a laugh a minute.

On side note: Once again rather than keep your comments to the film being discussed you choose to attack me, I thought we were over that. If you feel the need to attack me please do it in a private message, don't waste everyone's time here with your petty personal attacks.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Airboss is offline  
post #81 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Nothing wrong with dealing with it any way you chose, it sucks having cancer and the treatment is not pleasant at all.

All I'm saying is IMHO it would have been a better film if the effects of chemo/radiation treatment were handled in a more realistic manner and not just glossed over.

Fair enough, but a storyteller does have to have their own voice. Perhaps he chose not to focus on those excruciating elements for a reason, as it would've been a completely different tone for the film and other elements he wanted to incorporate might not have worked as well. Perhaps in his own life he did focus more on the laughter and the friendship than the chemo and therapy and that is why it isn't a central focus of the film. I don't know obviously, but your initial criticism just struck me the wrong way. Thanks for the discussion.
lwright84 is offline  
post #82 of 175 Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

another film that really got snubbed was 50/50. just saw it last night and it is the best film i've seen this year. seth rogan was hilarious and touching, and joseph gordon levitt deserves a nomination.

excellent film.

I wouldn't say it's even close to one of my favorites of the year, but I did enjoy it, enough so that I gave it four stars on Netflix. I'm enjoying a lot of JGL movies.
Aliens is offline  
post #83 of 175 Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

My comments on this film have nothing to do with what you have written. I'm simply stating that I felt it would have been a better film if the actually side effects/treatment of chemo and radiation had been more realistic.

You had been explained the situation already, and you have the right not to like the film, but your reasoning is very closed minded, which is why I said what I've said. So yes it has everything to do with the film, and your reaction to it as well.
Quote:


Everyone deals with the news that "You have cancer" differently. If that is the way he chose to deal with his cancer more power to him. Regardless of how he chose to deal with the fact that he had cancer the film did not give a realistic view of how hard cancer treatment can be on your body and soul.

IYO, not according to the film's character.
Quote:


Hopefully you will never find out what I'm talking about and you can go on believing that cancer is a laugh a minute.

Why would I believe that? Your power of observation fails you once again.
Quote:


On side note: Once again rather than keep your comments to the film being discussed you choose to attack me, I thought we were over that. If you feel the need to attack me please do it in a private message, don't waste everyone's time here with your petty personal attacks.

Don't flatter yourself, I'm simply responding to your flawed logic that you post here publicly, I have no desire to personally attack you and I have explained this to you in the past, but you don't seem to have a grasp on this, what else is new.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #84 of 175 Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Until Billy Crystal was announced as host I had little interest in this year's awards and will likely tune out once his comedy schtick is over. I think I've seen less than 25 percent of the nominated films and likely won't see them all until they are on video - for one reason or another they just didn't motivate me to want to see them. Anyway, here's one pundit's predictions.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...edictions-2012

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #85 of 175 Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I think I've seen less than 25 percent of the nominated films and likely won't see them all until they are on video

Typical for me....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #86 of 175 Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Do they stream these kind of shows over the internet? I cut my cable tv almost 2 years ago.
Because of Crystal I'm suddenly interested too to see this.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #87 of 175 Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
well i watched 50/50 because my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 days before christmas. she's had a double mastectomy and starts chemo next week.

it hit an emotional button with me and i do believe the film does explore the down side of cancer treatments. but the idea of staying positive is extremely
important when battling this disease, ask any oncologist.

my wife has been quite positive, in a fighting mode, and she is a much braver and stronger person than i will ever be.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #88 of 175 Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

my wife has been quite positive, in a fighting mode, and she is a much braver and stronger person than i will ever be.

All the best to you and your wife!
Bing is offline  
post #89 of 175 Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well i watched 50/50 because my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 days before christmas. she's had a double mastectomy and starts chemo next week.

it hit an emotional button with me and i do believe the film does explore the down side of cancer treatments. but the idea of staying positive is extremely
important when battling this disease, ask any oncologist.

my wife has been quite positive, in a fighting mode, and she is a much braver and stronger person than i will ever be.

Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, what did your wife think of the film?
lwright84 is offline  
post #90 of 175 Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 101
In the last year I lost 2 family members to cancer and I can honestly say that while Chemo and all the other treatments suck, they both tried to make the best of it. They didn't go mopping around like some of you think they would I don't think the director intended the film to be about how hard it is to deal with cancer. Don't get me wrong it would've been great to see how hard it is to deal with it and overcoming it but hey I guess thats not what he wanted.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off