Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

so lucas still remains too cheap to do a 4k transfer even if it will improve the 3d quality of his re-release. just like the bds........................

Why do a 4k transfer for the re-release? Are there any 4K 3D Digital Cinemas? None I am aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
So did anyone see this? The 3d in general is getting trashed from the comments I have read here and at bluray.com. One of the worst 2d to 3d conversions yet seems to be the general consensus with hardly any depth and basically no pop out. Not surprising, but did anyone else catch this?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #93 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 283
can't wait for box office numbers next monday...
post #94 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

^^^ agreed. Although I don't mind having paid for all these different editions, after all *I* made the decision to buy. But I'm just tired of Star Wars now. I know them almost by heart. Besides I'm not sure 2012's kids are that much interested either in Star Wars. To them it's just another series of film, nothing special. Today kids want vampires, transformers and hobbits. So long Ewoks...

I see a lot of kids @ my daughter's school with Clone Wars T-shirts, lunchboxes, etc. And plastic lightsabers seem to have never gone out of vogue.

The Cartoon Network series gets quite a few young eyes in front of it.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #95 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Oh yeah, I've plenty of Star Wars backpacks at my daughter's elementary school the past couple of years.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #96 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So did anyone see this? The 3d in general is getting trashed from the comments I have read here and at bluray.com. One of the worst 2d to 3d conversions yet seems to be the general consensus with hardly any depth and basically no pop out. Not surprising, but did anyone else catch this?

What?? How is that possible? Lucas is the self proclaimed technological Czar of cinematic progress, the Guru of the Bleeding Edge. Obviously those people are too blind to perceive his genius.
post #97 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM

The Real Force Behind 'Star Wars': How George Lucas Built an Empire

Quote:

Today Star Wars is consistently among the top five licensed toy brands, bringing in retail sales of more than $3 billion in 2011. "It truly is incredible for any property to remain a top seller within licensed merchandise for such a long time," says Anita Frazier, industry analyst for NPD Group, which tracks licensing

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-wars-288513
post #98 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

But I'm just tired of Star Wars now. I know them almost by heart. Besides I'm not sure 2012's kids are that much interested either in Star Wars.

My 13 year old couldn't care less, either. In the past decade we've had Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Transformers and countless other Sci-fi/ Fx films. Star Wars will always have its fans, and Lucas has managed to keep it around with the Clone Wars show and the (subpar) prequel films, but the saga is simply not as groundbreaking and/or important to this generation, as it was to those who grew up on the OT. Star Wars to me will always be Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, 'Ben' Kenobi, Yoda( the ESB puppet version) and Co.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #99 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
I went tonight with my son to a 70 foot wide screen theater. It was probably 85-90% full. One of the better recent theater experiences recently. Don't think I heard a cell phone or saw anyone's texting device out (maybe that's because the 3d glasses block out some light). The most wowing 3d stuff was the pod race (of course). Some of the exploding parts flying into racers made me almost wince. The light sabers didn't gain much. I really noticed it in a few strange places--where they were coming in for a landing on Coruscant, which is a fairly unremarkable 2d scene, but it was an overhead shot that really added realism.
Pretty pricey--$15 per adult, $13 per kid, but still, it's a chance to see it with my kids in a theater.
post #100 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Spot on. I bought my set watched them once won't be watching them again for quite a long while.

But there are moments of brilliance in the score that I don't mind revisiting once in a while. Remember CDs?
post #101 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

But there are moments of brilliance in the score that I don't mind revisiting once in a while. Remember CDs?

That is one aspect of the film that has unquestionable brilliance. I just wish the 2-disc version of the Phantom Menace soundtrack wasn't arranged as an isolated score.
post #102 of 122 Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The Real Force Behind 'Star Wars': How George Lucas Built an Empire

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-wars-288513

I get a kick out of how the self professed one time hater of big studios and their emphasis on marketing over cinematic substance has himself become the biggest cinematic huckster of them all.
post #103 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw it last nite in 3D. Was curious as to how re-releases might look. To be honest not much of a difference between my 2D to 3D conversion on my Sony. Wife, mother in law and myself were not impressed, even my 6 year old noticed the poor 3D quality especially after some good previews. (Had similar experience with Toy Story).

The audio was pretty flat with minor lip sync issues. Still, they got to see it in the theater. Was very surprised at the clapping by the audience.
post #104 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I get a kick out of how the self professed one time hater of big studios and their emphasis on marketing over cinematic substance has himself become the biggest cinematic huckster of them all.

LOL - that's a hell of a "connect-the dots" argument if I ever saw one.
post #105 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reading the reviews on bluray.com, I thought the majority were more positive than negative regarding the pq. Many just warned to lower expectations going in.

We know how much into the audio you are with films. For that alone don't bother seeing this from what I've been reading and that is most every post where the sound quality was touched upon.
post #106 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Reading the reviews on bluray.com, I thought the majority were more positive than negative regarding the pq. Many just warned to lower expectations going in.

We know how much into the audio you are with films. For that alone don't bother seeing this from what I've been reading and that is most every post where the sound quality was touched upon.

Did they remix the audio for this 3d version? The blu ray mix is fantastic. I can never judge audio fairly at a commercial theater anyway and always take the experience with a grain of salt until I can watch it at home.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #107 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

I can never judge audio fairly at a commercial theater anyway and always take the experience with a grain of salt until I can watch it at home.

Spot on.

Frank

post #108 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL - that's a hell of a "connect-the dots" argument if I ever saw one.

No argument; a simple statement. No one else markets merchandise for his movies the way Lucas does.
post #109 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

No argument; a simple statement. No one else markets merchandise for his movies the way Lucas does.

I beg to differ . . . Disney.
post #110 of 122 Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I don't know any technical stuff related to this, but I imagine since they're like ~90% CGI, the conversion shouldn't be that bad (much easier to convert CGI to 3D than live action that was shot in 2D).

CGI makes no difference in 2D to 3D conversions. The source is 2D and they just work with that. As far as I know they didn't go back to the original computer files and recompose shots or anything like that.
post #111 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
post #112 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

CGI makes no difference in 2D to 3D conversions. The source is 2D and they just work with that. As far as I know they didn't go back to the original computer files and recompose shots or anything like that.

That's what I thought maybe they would do (you know....do it right). It's not like they'd have to recompose every shot (like I'm guessing the entire pod race must be about 100% CGI other than a couple composite shots of Anakin in the cockpit). Seems it would have been better to go back to the original computer files and just compose the 3D versions of it).

But apparently they didn't do anything like that.
post #113 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Just took my kids to see this today. First off, let me start by saying it was just cool seeing this on the big screen with my kids. I knew going in the 3D wasn't going to pop. In fact, there's a YouTube interview of Lucas saying he didn't want things to pop out at you. But instead give you a sense of depth. And I have to say that pretty much sums it up (although the 3D doesn't really add anything either).

My disappointment, if you can call it that, is in the audio, or lack thereof. When I watched TPM in my HT on BD, you could literally feel it in your ribs when the lightsabers struck one another. Also, the pod race was foundation cracking awesomeness at home. In this release in the theater, the audio seemed anemic and weak.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #114 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Just took my kids to see this today. First off, let me start by saying it was just cool seeing this on the big screen with my kids. I knew going in the 3D wasn't going to pop. In fact, there's a YouTube interview of Lucas saying he didn't want things to pop out at you. But instead give you a sense of depth. And I have to say that pretty much sums it up (although the 3D doesn't really add anything either).

My disappointment, if you can call it that, is in the audio, or lack thereof. When I watched TPM in my HT on BD, you could literally feel it in your ribs when the lightsabers struck one another. Also, the pod race was foundation cracking awesomeness at home. In this release in the theater, the audio seemed anemic and weak.

Thanks waboman my daughter wanted to see it but ill pass.

Frank

post #115 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks waboman my daughter wanted to see it but ill pass.

+1 Thought the 3d depth was good and "realistic." the whole movie looked soft and not HD-like as I expected but I haven't seen the movie in a couple years so maybe it was shot that way. Audio was less impressive than I was hoping for.
post #116 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Did $23 Million opening weekend
post #117 of 122 Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did $23 Million opening weekend

George should be happy

Frank

post #118 of 122 Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Sooo.... based on this Lucas felt it was enough to bring it back out in theaters? No new content, nothing but some depth? WHAT THE BLUE HELL??? No one should have supported this money grubbing piece of trash
post #119 of 122 Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Sooo.... based on this Lucas felt it was enough to bring it back out in theaters? No new content, nothing but some depth? WHAT THE BLUE HELL??? No one should have supported this money grubbing piece of trash

well it made 5 millions more than Red Tails on its first weekend. In 2012, 13 years after its original release, even the mayas didn't see that one coming!
post #120 of 122 Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 631
The Phantom Menace was way better than Red Tails.

Haven't seen it in 3D though.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page