Barco Impresses Large-Screen Theater Experts with Laser Projection Technology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Barco Impresses Large-Screen Theater Experts with Laser Projection Technology Showcase at Moody Gardens Digital Cinema Symposium

Quote:

Digital cinema pioneer and world-record holder of the brightest DC projector, Barco publicly unveiled its laser projector technology, showcasing levels of brightness and color saturation never seen before to exhibitors and industry luminaries at the 2nd Annual Moody Gardens Digital Cinema Symposium in Galveston, Texas from January 9-10, 2012.

The laser projection presented today by Barco is the best projection, truly the most stunning images, I've ever seen on-screen in my life, said Douglas Trumbull, legendary film maker and visual effects pioneer. This is where we need to go as an industry to save the movie industry from decline. If you want to get people into theaters, you have to do this. The level of brightness, color gamut and saturation that Barco's laser projector delivers is paramount to achieving the ultimate production value.

Barco demonstrated its revolutionary 4K laser projection technology on a 70-foot screen, stunning a crowd of large-screen movie industry experts with its brightness and image clarity and providing a glimpse of where cinema is heading as an industry. Exceeding 55,000 ANSI lumens, Barco's laser projector prototype achieved even higher brightness levels than its world-record holding DP2K-32B digital cinema projector, the first time a laser projector has presented a 4K movie on a giant screen. Compared to traditional xenon lamp-based projectors, laser technology offers several advantages, including brighter images and a wider color gamut, longer lifespan (up to 10 times longer), and sustained brightness over the life of the laser light source.

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=2672
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Wow, accolades like that from Trumbull, of Showscan fame, can't help but get one excited about this technology!
post #3 of 26 Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
This is fantastic news! Can't wait until theaters are filled with these guys. I wish I could watch The Hobbit in 3D on one of these guys. It'll be great to not have to worry about the lamps dimming as they age. I wonder how much a replacement laser source is.

David Budo
post #4 of 26 Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The benefits of Laser projection are easily listed:

higher brightness (55K now, in this prototype- and in ANSI, not Center, Lumen measurement)

unlimited dimming for 2D and 3D

more energy-efficient than a high lumen projector using a Xenon lamp

higher contrast, because of the more collimated light source

wider color gamut (Barco projected, for comparison, the DCI standard color bar, vs the native color gamut color bar in the demo. The native color bar showed deeply saturated color)

no light fall-off in edges or corners of screen

Quote:

The challenges yet to overcome for Laser: cost is still too high for significant penetration. Regulatory bodies have not signed off on the safety concerns- but there was general consensus in private conversations at the Symposium that this is largely due to bureaucratic delays with regulatory bodies many of which have regulations on their books that address 1960's and 70's technology- not today's (and it's important to note that state laws govern the use of lasers, so updating them will not be a quick of fluid process).

Barco is showing Laser to the cinema and large venue world now, and stressing that when it does come, owners of their Xenon lamp DLP projectors will be able to retrofit to the new technology. In the meantime, there is plenty of keen interest in what's available today, from the company: things like their Dual 4k- double stacked 4K Barco projectors that can put 83K Lumens on a single screen, and the new Auro 3D.

http://rentalandstaging.com/article/69340.aspx

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 26 Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
I had a chance to go see Kodak's laser projector demo a while back and have to agree, laser is incredible technology. They had a projector running on a full sized cinema screen, not a small test screen. The colors and brightness were awesome. The 3D (polarized) was bright, yes the word bright matched with 3D in the same sentence! Too bad we are still a few years away from this at home. Eventually though both affordable laser and 4K in the same machine, and that will be something... can't wait!!
post #6 of 26 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'm surprised Peter hasn't posted anything about this event...starting to worry

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I'm surprised Peter hasn't posted anything about this event...starting to worry

Seriously?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

IMAX Pacts With Barco on Laser Projection Development

Quote:

Barco will be Imax's exclusive worldwide partner in the developing the digital projection technology, expected to be deployed in Imax theaters in 2013.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...jection-287592
post #9 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Oh damn...was hoping they'd go to 4kdlps over the dual 2ks...this is going to be good. I thought kodak had some laser tech too

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

That's amazing news! So they'll be making 4K machines that can do 1.44:1 for the large format images, if I'm reading the article correctly. That's a huge step to getting more directors shooting in the IMAX format.

David Budo
post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

That's amazing news! So they'll be making 4K machines that can do 1.44:1 for the large format images, if I'm reading the article correctly. That's a huge step to getting more directors shooting in the IMAX format.

IMAX already has a 4K Digital Camera. They used it for certain scenes in IMAX: BORN TO BE WILD
post #12 of 26 Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Oh damn...was hoping they'd go to 4kdlps over the dual 2ks...this is going to be good. I thought kodak had some laser tech too

IMAX licenced Kodak's laser projection technology:

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/extURLs.aspx?id=400
post #13 of 26 Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

IMAX already has a 4K Digital Camera. They used it for certain scenes in IMAX: BORN TO BE WILD

I reviewed Born To Be Wild, but it was 1.85:1. Was it actually shot in 1.44:1? Will the Barco projectors do 1.44:1? That's what the article implied.

David Budo
post #14 of 26 Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I reviewed Born To Be Wild, but it was 1.85:1. Was it actually shot in 1.44:1? Will the Barco projectors do 1.44:1? That's what the article implied.

No, I don't believe they will be used for 1.44 AR IMAX screens. They will be used for IMAX Digital screens:

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=2677
post #15 of 26 Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It would save them a lot of money. Those 15/70mm prints are very pricey.

David Budo
post #16 of 26 Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Since the seem to avoid mentioning solving the scintillation problem of laser projectors, I have to assume it has problems with scintillation until proven otherwise.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-10-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Since the seem to avoid mentioning solving the scintillation problem of laser projectors, I have to assume it has problems with scintillation until proven otherwise.

You don't think Douglas Trumbull would have noticed that?

Quote:

“The laser projection presented today by Barco is the best projection, truly the most stunning images, I've ever seen on-screen in my life,” said Douglas Trumbull, legendary film maker and visual effects pioneer.

post #18 of 26 Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
He is getting old
post #19 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
As those of you who post to The Dark Knight Rises thread already know, the Moore Warren Theater, which is located in greater OKC, is opening up a new IMAX theater later this month, which they claim will have "The largest IMAX screen in the country." They have been close mouthed about the details, though, so I haven't been able to learn either the dimensions of the screen or the kind of digital projection equipment they will be using in their new IMAX theater.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't think Douglas Trumbull would have noticed that?

First we don't know whether Trumbull has any financial or other connection to BARCO that would make him less than completely forthcoming about any issues it might have.

Second, "Douglas Trumbull, legendary film maker and visual effects pioneer" nothing there implies he knows anything about LASER projectors. Now if it was a question about the quality of an in-camera effects on 35mm film, I'd take his word on that question.

Third, since according to the tab at the top of the article, it's a reprint of a PRESS RELEASE from BARCO, it's not really surprising that they only printed quotes of glowing praise in it. So even if Trumbull had noticed scintillation, it sure as heck wouldn't have made it into a BARCO press release.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First we don't know whether Trumbull has any financial or other connection to BARCO that would make him less than completely forthcoming about any issues it might have.

I sincerely doubt that as Barco is a Belgium company.

Quote:

Second, "Douglas Trumbull, legendary film maker and visual effects pioneer" nothing there implies he knows anything about LASER projectors. Now if it was a question about the quality of an in-camera effects on 35mm film, I'd take his word on that question.

He wouldn't have to. He is the inventor of SHOWSCAN. Many feel that produced the finest images ever projected on a screen.

Quote:

Third, since according to the tab at the top of the article, it's a reprint of a PRESS RELEASE from BARCO, it's not really surprising that they only printed quotes of glowing praise in it. So even if Trumbull had noticed scintillation, it sure as heck wouldn't have made it into a BARCO press release.

So do you have any other links to people's reactions to the demo are are you just going to try to blow holes in what was published? BTW - it was specifically stated that the BARCO Laser Projector was a prototype.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sincerely doubt that as Barco is a Belgium company.

Wow. You really think that the various Country's of origin have anything to so with financial or other connections in this century?

Quote:

He wouldn't have to. He is the inventor of SHOWSCAN. Many feel that produced the finest images ever projected on a screen.

Once again, that's a film process so his knowledge of laser projection and it's foibles is still in question.

Quote:

So do you have any other links to people's reactions to the demo are are you just going to try to blow holes in what was published? BTW - it was specifically stated that the BARCO Laser Projector was a prototype.

As I said in my first post, since they didn't address the issue, until proven otherwise (which obviously implies I don't have anything else), I'm betting they haven't solved the scintillation issue. If they had solved it, they almost certainly would be crowing about their achievement in their press release, because solving scintillation in a front projector is a big achievement.

Call it "try[ing] to blow holes" if you want, but from my perspective, I'm just not being so naive as to believe everything a company prints in one of their press releases without applying any critical analysis to it at all. And especially not to put much weight behind anyone they quote, since they're highly likely to cherry pick quotes from their friends and supporters and to omit any issues that were raised by neutral parties.

In this day and age, I didn't think it would be controversial to take a corporation's glowing press release with a grain of salt.

BTW, I was a big fan of Barco's CRT front projectors. They used to make the finest CRT projectors in the world until Sony came along with the G90 and (arguably) matched Barco's performance. But I'm not going to let my fondness of their CRTs stop me from being skeptical about their press releases.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow. You really think that the various Country's of origin have anything to so with financial or other connections in this century?

So do you have any proof?

Quote:

Once again, that's a film process so his knowledge of laser projection and it's foibles is still in question.

The end result are the images on the screen - that is ALL that matters.

Quote:

As I said in my first post, since they didn't address the issue, until proven otherwise (which obviously implies I don't have anything else), I'm betting they haven't solved the scintillation issue. If they had solved it, they almost certainly would be crowing about their achievement in their press release, because solving scintillation in a front projector is a big achievement.

Call it "try[ing] to blow holes" if you want, but from my perspective, I'm just not being so naive as to believe everything a company prints in one of their press releases without applying any critical analysis to it at all. And especially not to put much weight behind anyone they quote, since they're highly likely to cherry pick quotes from their friends and supporters and to omit any issues that were raised by neutral parties.

In this day and age, I didn't think it would be controversial to take a corporation's glowing press release with a grain of salt.

So you haven't done any research about the event, tried to find other postings about people's reactions, you just have a baked in doubt about corporate press releases and that is what you are standing on - got it.

Quote:

BTW, I was a big fan of Barco's CRT front projectors. They used to make the finest CRT projectors in the world until Sony came along with the G90 and (arguably) matched Barco's performance. But I'm not going to let my fondness of their CRTs stop me from being skeptical about their press releases.

WoW! Ancient history. BTW, BARCO CRT projectors were primarily used for graphics projection like CAD. To soley judge them on video is selling them way short.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I love how this is called a laser projector like manufacturers advertise LED TVs, which can have 2 very different interpretations.

This projector has a LASER light source bouncing off of a DLP chip, it is not a raster scanning laser projector.

Just like an LED tv has a LED backlight through a LCD panel, it is not an active matrix LED screen.

I like where this is heading but still wish it were a raster scanning projector.

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #25 of 26 Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

So you haven't done any research about the event, tried to find other postings about people's reactions, you just have a baked in doubt about corporate press releases and that is what you are standing on - got it.

Maybe you missed this but HE'S the one that's reserving judgement. You, on the other hand, are the one jumping to conclusions based on someone else's observation. Sherlock Holmes would eyeroll your face off.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Maybe you missed this but HE'S the one that's reserving judgement. You, on the other hand, are the one jumping to conclusions based on someone else's observation. Sherlock Holmes would eyeroll your face off.

Thank you. At least this assures me that at least one person took my original post in it's intended tone.

Lee, I'm sorry I seem to have gotten under your skin on this one. I'm sure you must have a healthy degree of skepticism when reading other press releases. So somehow I have unintentionally made this personally to you. I didn't intend to. And I did a really terrible job of trying to make my point of being generally skeptical about press releases in my subsequent posts.

Perhaps if I'd originally said it this way, it would have been better...

"Don't get your hopes up too high. Since no one mentioned the lack of scintillation in that press release, it's possible that this PJ suffers from the same scintillation issues as other laser PJs. We need to hear from a neutral third party that addresses the scintillation issue."
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page