Dark Shadows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone seen any previews/trailers? The very popular original TV show was a hoot. My wife and I went through every season when we first got Netflix but it became tedious at some point. Since it was shot live and not edited there were some mistakes in there that made me howl. One in particular was when a stage hand was kneeling on the floor behind a couple kissing with a fake arm on a boom. I fell off the chair. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Burton/Depp version how about you?

Fans of the original that see this did you notice Frid's cameo? I only saw the actress who played Angelique as she was one of the guest in the party scene. She can be spotted coming into the party from outside with a couple other folks and she is on the left side of the screen. Besides her and Frid there are supposed to be a couple more cameos from the TV cast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Gee. No love for Barnabas Collins around here huh jbug?

There was a picture of the cast and some discussion about this somewhere, but I can't find it. I have very vague memories of watching this when I was much younger. I think it was on late afternoon and we'd watch it when we got home from school back in the late '60s.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

There was a picture of the cast and some discussion about this somewhere, but I can't find it. I have very vague memories of watching this when I was much younger. I think it was on late afternoon and we'd watch it when we got home from school back in the late '60s.

Hey Rich, I guess some dust will get kicked up the closer this gets to release. Your memory is the one most cited by those who were growing up and in school during the original reign of Barnabus Collins. The TV remake that popped up in the 90's was very good also. With Burton & Depp on board, I expect this should be good also.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
First trailer

can't wait... And no 3D!!!! wheew!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I must say, that looked excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like fun, but I'm sensing Depp's Barnabas Collins character won't be too far removed from his Jack Sparrow character.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh oh! Is JD running out of acting steam.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
This looks hysterical....I'm all in.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm a fan of the series so I probably would have seen it anyway but the trailer has sold me. I'm in.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My wife is already in love with this. I think it looks stupid and boring and sh*tty, but then again, I loved LIFEFORCE, which is all those things, so i guess I am going.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I like it I will definitely see this.

Frank
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Chloë Grace Moretz, too. Always a welcome presence.

CW Hinkle
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

My wife is already in love with this. I think it looks stupid and boring and sh*tty, but then again, I loved LIFEFORCE, which is all those things, so i guess I am going.

If this is like LIFEFORCE I'm all in as well!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well folks critics be darned what say ye? My wife and are going tomorrow regardless of the critics cause we like gothic and the old TV show. So, if no one chimes in I'll do it tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
I reviewed it this week (can be found in my signature link) and thought it was dreadful. Honestly, the acting was flat, the writing did not draw you in, the humour was sparse and most of it was in the trailer.

David Budo
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

if Eva Green wears the same clothes as Matilda May, we're in for a treat
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I reviewed it this week (can be found in my signature link) and thought it was dreadful. Honestly, the acting was flat, the writing did not draw you in, the humour was sparse and most of it was in the trailer.

I got the idea from the trailer that it was supposed to be that way. With a spoof like this I’m not looking for Oscar winning performances or writing, to me that wouldn’t work, but its paramount the humor be there. I would be greatly disappointed if most of the laughs are in the trailer.

Your sig is missing.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

No love for Burton, Depp, Bonham-Carter. Barnabas is cool by me.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

LOL, unfortunately, she is covered. Anyway... who in the heck has Mathila May's mammorie mounds?! Nothing compares.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Man, this movie got shredded by the critics. 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. Is it really that bad?

I am usually a fan of Burton/Depp. Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd were great, I thought...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Ill wait for the blu ray release.

Frank
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Man, this movie got shredded by the critics. 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. Is it really that bad?

I am usually a fan of Burton/Depp. Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd were great, I thought...

It seems to be hit or miss with the critics. I know Burton's stuff goes about 50% with me though I love the look and the people he works with especially Danny Elfman. EW gave it a B+, I was a bit surprised. The trailers are playing up the fish out of water stupid humor. I don't know if that is the whole thing or not. If it isn't, as usual the studio doesn't know how to sell it. I remember a movie, In Bruges, which was poorly advertised that I was really surprised was nothing like the trailers portrayed.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

It seems to be hit or miss with the critics. I know I Burton's stuff goes about 50% with me though I love the look and the people he works with especially Danny Elfman. EW gave it a B+, I was a bit surprised. The trailers are playing up the fish out of water stupid humor. I don't know if that is the whole thing or not. If it isn't, as usual the studio doesn't know how to sell it. I remember a movie, In Bruges, which was poorly advertised that I was really surprised was nothing like the trailers portrayed.

Agreed. Danny Elfman is the man.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Not me, Green is fugly compared to May IMO.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got back from seeing it and it starts out excellent but then I got sleepy. I think it bogged down in the middle with too much dialogue but again it could have been me getting sleepy. My wife stayed awake and afterwards she said she liked it very much. I will see it again before deciding to purchase it but I'm leaning on buying it. There was a decent size crowd at the 1:30 showing so I am curious how this will fare when the box office tallies come in. Many in the audience were young people without their parents which says to me that they were drawn there by Depp being in the movie.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
Wow! I loved every minute of it. I love Tim Burton's take on vampire lore and that it was kept traditional. Great cast too!

It was such a witty film and I have no idea what critics want. If this is a bad film, then I have no idea what a good film is!

And I appreciated the Christopher Lee cameo as well as the nod to Bela Lugosi's Dracula especially in the scene where Barnabas comes out of his coffin.

Me, I prefer the classic style of horror/romance film.

Definitely buying this on Blu Ray. I hope there is a sequel. The concept is fantastic

My advice is forget the critics. If you like Sleepy Hollow then there is plenty to like here. Of course, it is a different film, but it keeps within the realms of the gothic genre.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Saw it Friday, and it was much better than I had anticipated. I'm firmly in the camp of "sick of Tim Burton" and his all movies are basically the same thing, thing. But this one felt different and really was enjoyable.

Until the end. The end just got kind of stupid, but I mean almost the very end. 95% of the movie was great imho, and I'd recommend it.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

Saw it Friday, and it was much better than I had anticipated. I'm firmly in the camp of "sick of Tim Burton" and his all movies are basically the same thing. But this one felt different and really was enjoyable.

Until the end. The end just got kind of stupid, but I mean almost the very end. 95% of the movie was great imho, and I'd recommend it.

Good to see some positive reviews. My girlfriend really wants to see this film so I'll give it a try. I like burton films too

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I'm not going to see it until discount theater but I have a question. Did they make a new opening theme song or did they modernize the soap-opera theme song? I always liked that Dark Shadows theme:

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I'm not going to see it until discount theater but I have a question. Did they make a new opening theme song or did they modernize the soap-opera theme song? I always liked that Dark Shadows theme:

Here's a discussion on the subject.

Quote:

AVC: When you’re composing the score to a film that’s based on an existing property, like Dark Shadows, do you go ever back and listen to the music from the original in search of inspiration?

DE: Well, interestingly, this is the first time we have done that. Because on Planet Of The Apes and Charlie [And The Chocolate Factory] and Batman, we made a conscious decision to make no references—ever—to the originals, that they should be their own thing and that we shouldn’t even listen to it. But here, this was different. Tim really did like the tone of the music to the TV show, and he got me listening to it. So half the score is kind of big, melodramatic orchestra, and… We didn’t really know how to approach it at first, but it finally kind of evolved into this clear design where, when we’re in the big part of the love story in the past and how Barnabas became a vampire and his battle with Angelique, we’re using the orchestra in a more or less traditional way. But whenever he’s with the family in the house, we’re going to use an ensemble that’s very much like the ensemble might have been in 1970. A very, very small orchestra, mostly just three solo instruments: a bass clarinet, bass flute, and vibes. And the vibes and the flute very much are taken and inspired from the original TV music. Furthermore, there were these riffs that they did that I really liked, so I did pull some music from the TV show into the score, and Bob Cobert, the writer for that, is credited in the cue sheets for those moments where it kind of becomes a co-composition. So it really was unique. The only time in 75 films or whatever that I’ve ever paid attention to the music of the past was Mission: Impossible, because I knew I was going to use Lalo Schifrin’s song, and Dark Shadows. And it wasn’t a specific piece. It was just a tone, a sound, that we both really liked. So that did make it kind of more fun and special in that way.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dark-...ong-col,73699/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies