Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Written and directed by Lorene Scafaria (her directorial debut actually), and starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley.

lwright84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jdog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Stellar concept...I hope it works in reality!

Big Dumb Mammal
Jdog35 is offline  
post #3 of 50 Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
This looks interesting...I'm in.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #4 of 50 Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
I like the premise.

It is interesting to contemplate what people would REALLY do should the scenerio in the movie ever came true.

Go into hiding?
Loot and destroy?
Suicide?
Kill the boss or neighbor or ex-spouse or politician (I think there would be a lot of this kinda stuff)?

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 18,879
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This looks interesting...I'm in.

Me too I like it.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #6 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 18,879
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I like the premise.

It is interesting to contemplate what people would REALLY do should the scenerio in the movie ever came true.

Go into hiding?
Loot and destroy?
Suicide?
Kill the boss or neighbor or ex-spouse or politician (I think there would be a lot of this kinda stuff)?

I'll be the kind to take my family into hiding waiting for the end to come. I don't need my family to witness or the crazy people looting, hurting others.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #7 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TCARCIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachussetts
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I would go test drive a Bentley and never go back.....
TCARCIO is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wizzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Finally a rom-com where they all die in the end. Looks good!


The above post is 100% medically accurate


31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
wizzack is offline  
post #9 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

I would go test drive a Bentley and never go back.....

Here is the car I would shot the salesman for during the test drive and disappear down the road:
http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...58-Italia.aspx

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'll be the kind to take my family into hiding waiting for the end to come. I don't need my family to witness or the crazy people looting, hurting others.

My first instinct would be to dispense a little street justice upon certain individuals....

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #11 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 18,879
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

My first instinct would be to dispense a little street justice upon certain individuals....

Well I'm glad I'm in Australia.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #12 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
ratpacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I'm glad I'm in Australia.

We already know what happens when the **** hits the fan in Australia- Mad Max ftw!

XBL GT: deathpallie
ratpacker is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I'm glad I'm in Australia.

Can't speak to Australia's situation, but America is in the grip of a (as yet) non-violent Civil War.
If Law and Order were to breakdown, there would be blood in the streets.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #14 of 50 Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 18,879
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


Can't speak to Australia's situation, but America is in the grip of a (as yet) non-violent Civil War.
If Law and Order were to breakdown, there would be blood in the streets.

I didnt know that was happening.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #15 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ToddUGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eastman, Georgia
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I didnt know that was happening.

News to me as well.

ToddUGA is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
MasterofBlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would post up on the roof of an Academy or hunting supplies store. Of course, this would be after I stole deuce and a half and crashed it inside. I'd open up Bartertown!
MasterofBlasting is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,861
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I like the premise.

It is interesting to contemplate what people would REALLY do should the scenerio in the movie ever came true.

Go into hiding?
Loot and destroy?
Suicide?
Kill the boss or neighbor or ex-spouse or politician (I think there would be a lot of this kinda stuff)?

Somehow I don't think this is going to have the same artistic touch that Melancholia had.

I'd stop exercising. I'd eat bacon, sausage and eggs for every breakfast. Every day I'd eat a steak with a baked potato smothered in everything for dinner. Drink alcohol until my hearts content. Find a 20 year old who wants to do noting but have sex all day, everyday. But first, stock up on Viagra. On the big day I'd take a few hundred sleeping pills. Yep, that's the ticket.
Aliens is online now  
post #18 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

I would post up on the roof of an Academy or hunting supplies store. Of course, this would be after I stole deuce and a half and crashed it inside. I'd open up Bartertown!

LOL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Somehow I don't think this is going to have the same artistic touch that Melancholia had.

No, I think not.


Quote:


I'd stop exercising. I'd eat bacon, sausage and eggs for every breakfast. Every day I'd eat a steak with a baked potato smothered in everything for dinner. Drink alcohol until my hearts content. Find a 20 year old who wants to do noting but have sex all day, everyday. But first, stock up on Viagra.

Hmmmm...sounds like my life right now.


Quote:


On the big day I'd take a few hundred sleeping pills. Yep, that's the ticket.

I'm too much of a voyeur....I gotta see it happen.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #19 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,861
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


I'm too much of a voyeur....I gotta see it happen.

Give it one of these...



Aliens is online now  
post #20 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
^Yep, that would be me.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #21 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 297
To the Aussies here I would recommend watching both versions of "On the Beach".
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #22 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 20,341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

To the Aussies here I would recommend watching both versions of "On the Beach".

Somehow I missed the 2000 remake - I think. I don't remember watching it. I just saw the original again a week or so ago.

larry

I don't know Butchie instead
PooperScooper is offline  
post #23 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 18,879
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

To the Aussies here I would recommend watching both versions of "On the Beach".

Never heard of it until know. I just read the plot summary about it.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #24 of 50 Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I read the synopsis and didn't realize it was a romcom. A little disappointed.

There's an older movie called Last Night that's a similar premise and explores how various people would act when the end of the world is approaching. But it's more of a serious tone. It's one of my favorite apocalypse movies.
mproper is offline  
post #25 of 50 Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

There's an older movie called Last Night that's a similar premise and explores how various people would act when the end of the world is approaching. But it's more of a serious tone. It's one of my favorite apocalypse movies.

Dang, NF doesn't have it.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #26 of 50 Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Yes, it does. I saw it years ago and had even made a short film the same year with a similar premise.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Last_Night/70018268
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #27 of 50 Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 30,938
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Yes, it does. I saw it years ago and had even made a short film the same year with a similar premise.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Last_Night/70018268

The link says "DVD Availability Unknown."

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
oink is offline  
post #28 of 50 Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I didn't know you were looking for the DVD. It may well have been released only once and probably didn't sell enough to justify a re-release. Check used DVD stores. I saw it on DVD in 1999. I've have several films like that in my disc queue for a couple years like that.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #29 of 50 Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I didn't know you were looking for the DVD. It may well have been released only once and probably didn't sell enough to justify a re-release. Check used DVD stores. I saw it on DVD in 1999. I've have several films like that in my disc queue for a couple years like that.

I have the DVD but its never been released in OAR afaik....only 4:3. Unfortunately the stream is the same, at least last time I checked.
mproper is offline  
post #30 of 50 Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 297
It's been a long time but I think the DVD I saw was widescreen. Two editions?
Brian Conrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off