post #31 of 52 Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Nah, the Manhattan project didn't have regular soldiers anywhere near it, just scientists and generals, and they were all several miles from the Trinity site.

In the 50s they did tests with soldiers too close to the blast, before they moved to underground testing.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's a mix up in my head between the oppenheimer series and my excerpt described earlier.
But I definately remember that it was a film/movie and not a documentary and that the soldiers were speaking to eachother in the trenches.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The scariest thing of all: I remember the Cuban Missiles Crisis, the naval blockade around the island, and the scary feeling of being on the edge of global thermonuclear war.

....and I'm feeling it again, as we all hold our breaths and hope that Israel won't nuke Iran, and trigger World War III.

I believe I'll go watch Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. That worked before to relieve nuclear stress.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #33 of 52 Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought Trinity and Beyond on Blu Ray, for the sole purpose of testing my subwoofers. False advertising by forum members elsewhere that said this movie was good for testing subwoofers. It only has one recorded explosion with actual bomb sounds, the rest of the explosions are set to a musical score. I used to think nuclear explosions where cool looking, but towards the end of this movie I was actually starting to feel nausea, sucks maturing as a human being does it not?

I saw Threads way back in the 1980’s and it had a profound impact on all of us, nasty nasty movie, without a shred of hope or a glimmer for a future. But, I think this movie would be the grand daddy of torture your subwoofer type of movie, just need to check if my player is region free
post #34 of 52 Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 622
You are right, Trinity and Beyond is no sub workout. Billy Shatner is good and the DVD cover art kicks ass.

I just read though this thread and didn't see "Special Bulletin" mentioned. Kind of a Orson style
WOTW with nukes instead of aliens. Worth checking out. It played like a newscast but they
pussed out and ran disclaimers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

The scariest thing of all: I remember the Cuban Missiles Crisis, the naval blockade around the island, and the scary feeling of being on the edge of global thermonuclear war.

I can neither confirm or deny whether I remember the crisis (never pigeonhole your age wink.gif) but if you are interested in that time period, "The Fog of War (2003) Eleven lessons from the life of Robert S McNamara"
is a good watch. I believe you can watch it on ewetoob.

The Cold War is fascinating. Curtis LeMay would have killed us all if he could. Anybody notice how many of these movies were made ~ early eighties?

Ill let you guys in on a little secret, my username Tack is short for Hardtack which is short for Operation Hardtack which was code for some ba boom testing in the late fifties.
Don't tell anybody because people think you named yourself after a cracker. I shortened it to tack in the late 90s.

Plus, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and **** like that and it makes my life a *hell*. Okay? A living hell.

Hey two threads in one wink.gif
post #35 of 52 Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

"The Fog of War (2003) Eleven lessons from the life of Robert S McNamara"
is a good watch. I believe you can watch it on ewetoob.

The Cold War is fascinating. Curtis LeMay would have killed us all if he could.

Fog is a great watch if you're in the mood to dial in. I see Rumsfeld flash over his face when I watch it.
LeMay? Yep, a real deal nutbag. Kubrick nailed it wink.gif
post #36 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I just read though this thread and didn't see "Special Bulletin" mentioned. Kind of a Orson style
WOTW with nukes instead of aliens. Worth checking out. It played like a newscast but they
pussed out and ran disclaimers.

I can't remember if I've seen Special Bulletin or not. The only thing I could find was a youtube download that looks like it's from the VHS tape. Hopefully it won't look too bad on my TV via my laptop.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #37 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Now that the search engine has been fixed, I found the old thread I was talking about earlier (and I had started it).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/711656/doomsday-movies/0_50

I'm thinking about merging the two threads...

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #38 of 52 Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The original Godzilla.....aka Gojira, with English subtitles on DVD/bluray by Criterion.
Released in Japan in 1954, less than a decade after Heroshima/Nagasaki.
Seen from Japan's viewpoint and a warning to the world of the dangers of atomic bomb testing, it is a dark film.....very different from the USA version with added scenes and storyline with Raymond Burr.

The inventor of the oxygen destroyer, Dr. Sarazawa, takes his secret to the grave, as he destroys Gojira, and himself, so that no others could duplicate the formula for destruction.

One wonders how the world would be different if the scientists that discovered the secret of 'the bomb' had destroyed their documents and all committed suicide so that it could never be unleashed on mankind again.
post #39 of 52 Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

One wonders how the world would be different if the scientists that discovered the secret of 'the bomb' had destroyed their documents and all committed suicide so that it could never be unleashed on mankind again.

If one group of scientists could do it, another would replicate their efforts eventually. Once a tipping point has been achieved and you've proven that something can be done, there's no going back.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #40 of 52 Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Liked: 38
Agree....for all the good there is in science and technology, there are elements of bad that must be dealt with.
post #41 of 52 Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I am here for the radiation of discourse.

smile.gif

let the fun begin!

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #42 of 52 Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I am here for the radiation of discourse.

smile.gif

let the fun begin!

Hey there. I just re-read both pages. Good discussion. I'm not sure I have much more to say. Although I spent my second career making narrative features and TV, I think that history, whether documentary films or books, can be particularly enlightening. The subject is so vast, that a movie that strives to be historically accurate risks being too shallow on detail (13 Days ... which I worked on), or so caught up in an agenda that it loses credibility. That is why that Richard Rhodes' books which use such exhaustive documentation are my go-to resources.

Somebody above suggested mandatory viewing or reading of a movie or book on the subject. I would support a "mandatory" high school-level course that uses Rhodes' books as the historical source. The problem I would have is one I have with many educators these days; they can't resist their impulse to impose/teach a subjective opinion with regards to anything remotely political. The facts on this subject should be more than adequate to make the right impressions. Every generation needs to have a very strong knowledge of this history, lest if be forgotten and threaten us again.
post #43 of 52 Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I worry about the threat of nuclear conflict on some level for several reasons today:

1. An uniformed/uninterested/poorly educated populace. We've all seen the "humorous" street interviews on late night TV and other places where people are asked basic questions of civics and current events ... and are clearly clueless. How vulnerable are they .. or is it "we?"

2. A Russian leader who bitterly regrets the collapse of the Soviet Union, and who clearly has some level of expansionist intentions, and who has a modernized strategic nuclear arsenal, and is testing improved ICBMs.

3. An American/western foreign policy that is not exactly easy to define for us, much less ambitious or dedicated potential or real enemies. This could possibly be misunderstood as a decisive opinion of the current administration. Not true. Military members are not allowed (by regulation) to be political advocates. It is not wise for military members to become attached one way or another to policy because they may well become instruments of that policy. On the other hand, military members do develop opinions about leaders and their character, leadership, courage, manner and effectiveness of governance, and executive effectiveness. Having served under five administrations, I'll confess comparisons are made. But no leader gets a free ride. They all falter. Regardless, if called, military members must answer. FWIW smile.gif

4. A failure of the U.S. to modernize its nuclear arsenal for the sake of safety, defend against sabotage, and maintain readiness to deter aggression.

5. Although relating to #3 above, a failure of the U.S. to effectively lead/pursue further reduction of nuclear weapons arsenals. This and #4 have been linked somewhat in proposed legislation to modernize the arsenal ... that I don't think has gone anywhere.

6. The threat of sophisticated terrorism to acquire nuclear weapon capability, whether state-sponsored, theo-political, or "home-grown."

7. The perversion of congressional legislative process in the form of obstructionism by all. On one hand there is too much "no" with no adequate alternative, and on the other a senate where nothing in permitted to be brought to the floor for debate, much less amendment or a vote. IMHO, debate, amendment, and a vote must be permitted. Let the pieces fall where they will.

I don't pretend to have black and white answers or views. As a veteran, I am sort of conditioned to be "independent." I want to hear what everybody has to say, then reach some reasonable conclusions. I just worry a bit that a lot of folks have gotten a little too comfortable and uninterested.

Now back to my home theater! biggrin.giftongue.gifredface.gif
JSUL likes this.
post #44 of 52 Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
As long as we're mentioning everything with a nuclear war theme (and I've seen them all),
how about "Miracle Mile" starring Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham. Some scenes
are downright chilling, including the ending, IMO.
post #45 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 AM

^^^ That's a long time pet favorite of mine. There are some chilling scenes, especially for those of us that are old enough to have had "duck and cover" drills in grade school.

larry

post #46 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post
As long as we're mentioning everything with a nuclear war theme (and I've seen them all),
how about "Miracle Mile"
About that guy running in prison?

Just read the plot on MM. Never even heard of it till now. Seems like one I'd really like so I may have to check it out.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #47 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
About that guy running in prison?
That was The Jericho Mile starring Peter Strauss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
Just read the plot on MM. Never even heard of it till now. Seems like one I'd really like so I may have to check it out.
Ditto on that. Never heard of it 'till now.
post #48 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Anyone mention How I Live Now? Although I don't think it specifically says nuclear we are led to think to that. At any rate it's a really good flick.
post #49 of 52 Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Miracle Mile, great movie which deserves to be better known. Do not go in expecting a disaster movie, it is more of a 80's night escapade movie, a la After Hours, with a twist at the end. Very 80's.

Another couple of good war movies I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is By Dawn's Early Light and Special Bulletin. For me though, the most powerful is Testament, although the most horrifying is Threads, of course.
post #50 of 52 Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
How about Red Dawn? No nukes, but it was close. Damn what a realistic war movie. I often awaken at night, fearful of the possible invasion. Then I realize there's a high school just up the road, and I quickly fall back asleep.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #51 of 52 Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
How about Red Dawn? No nukes, but it was close. Damn what a realistic war movie. I often awaken at night, fearful of the possible invasion. Then I realize there's a high school just up the road, and I quickly fall back asleep.
I love that flick and that it's so farfetched it isn't.

Also I have never yelled AVENGE ME through the baby gate to my kid. Never.
sb1 likes this.
post #52 of 52 Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Also I have never yelled AVENGE ME through the baby gate to my kid. Never.
Well, not yet.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page