No more film prints in theater for new releases-Digital only - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Impossible, improbable to quantify rationalize, but I like film for film, not because of improved image quality of theatrical prints which there is frequently none.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I was very surprised when the local multiplex about 1/2 mile away went digital. First with two screens then remodeled from 5 to 8 screen all digital. This is sort of an out-of-the-way suburb and not an urban hub. CinemaWest runs the theater but it seems in talking to the staff there it is still owned by the doctor who bought it from Signature when they wanted to sell off some of their Bay Area theaters. In an interview the doctor had planned to reserve one auditorium for foreign and indies but hat has fallen to wayside for 3D and D-Box. The theater is also listed in the phone directory as a digital theater consulting firm.
post #33 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The economic argument is compelling. Film prints and shipping and finicky maintenance for a film projector, plus labor to rewind and so forth, are much more than for a digital print and an unattended video projector whose only moving parts are a couple of cooling fans.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #34 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Also all prints had be returned then destroyed by the studios. I've read years ago how studios were thinking to "beam"[download] digital files of films directly to cinema servers for projections. I don't know if this is how they do it now, but certainly it is more economically streamlined, and certainly more "green" then shipping each prints to theaters worldwide.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #35 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The best presentations in NYC I have seen the past two years have been prints. The worst... Digital. In each case, the print had a projectionist who knew what he was doing behind the projector. That is the key. With digital, so much can go wrong and does and all too frequently we now have 3D setups in place for 2D projection, which means dark picture that is unwatchabe. My movie watching has been greatly reduced. i now go maybe four times a year and only to IMAX or the Landmark in NYC where they have actual prints.

Even my beloved Ziegfeld has been ruined. The last three trips were all @ss because the picture was so dark.

Since no one has mentioned it, thought I'd post a few articles I assumed were familiar here, but maybe not.

misuse of 3d digital lens

The dying of the light

Are 3D-capable theaters delivering dim 2D movies?

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #36 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I believe that there are those here on this forum who have had the opportunity, perhaps many times, in their lives to experience first rate film presentations and thus have a real reference to point to. I am not one of those people. In almost all, if not all, instances my experience seeing film projected was disappointing. This especially has been the case since I had my stacked 9" CRT set up and now my 3 chip DLP with 1080p video feeding it.

I certainly can feel for those lucky individuals who actually have had those top shelf film experiences.

The rest of us seem to feel like the loss of film projection is simply no big deal largely based on real world inferiority of the film presentations we've experienced.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #37 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I believe that there are those here on this forum who have had the opportunity, perhaps many times, in their lives to experience first rate film presentations and thus have a real reference to point to. I am not one of those people. In almost all, if not all, instances my experience seeing film projected was disappointing. This especially has been the case since I had my stacked 9" CRT set up and now my 3 chip DLP with 1080p video feeding it.

I certainly can feel for those lucky individuals who actually have had those top shelf film experiences.

Living in the Los Angeles area, I've had such experiences multiple times, one of which was Patton in 65mm at the Samuel Goldwyn theater (used by the Academy). I do favor advancing technology, but I'm one who doesn't feel that digital matches a top-flight film presentation yet. Digital may be easier, but it is NOT a guarantee of excellence.
post #38 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone want to buy my darkroom enlarger? It's a great one by Philips, and unique in that it has an additive color head. I have the electric-motor color print drum, chemical bottles, paper-holding-and-print-cropping frame, thermometer, funnels, grain magnifier, etc. Everything you need to make your own prints from negatives (or positives - i.e., slides).
post #39 of 51 Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm still trying to get over the loss of the 70mm film medium.

Just my opinion (that most others obviously don't share), I think public theaters have in general steadily progressed until about 1966-1970 and from there on it has been down hill ever since. Just look at what has happened since 1970. First they got rid of 70mm and then they started hacking up the big theaters into smaller rooms. And now they want to get rid of film altogether in order to save even more production cost. Looking at everything that has come to past in my lifetime, I can only think of one exception better today reflecting a superior theater watching experience; the new 3d movies. I'm not a huge fan of 3d but I must admit this technology at least represents something far superior today than ever before in the past. Modern 3d is honestly worthy of some praise.

But everything else they have come up with from 1970 onward represents pure crap for the average movie consumer. Expecially the jittery camera movements where they can't even hold still for action shots. Maybe all this new supposedly better stuff has been better for the studio profit bean counters but it sure hasn't been better for my movie watching experience.

Bob
post #40 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

In no way is a film print better than a digital one. By the time you watch a film print after about a week in its run it will look horrible compared to digital. Even on its first run it can't even begin to match digital.

Really? And yet the six week old film print of TREE OF LIFE that I viewed looked mint. It had barely a scratch on it.

Meanwhile, it is almost impossible to see 2D films that have any brightness to them because of the almost universal practice of projecting everything through the 3D setup. Every time I go to the movies now I end up walking out and having a fit with the manager. I am so sick and tired of it that I just cannot bring myself to go anymore.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Film presented on a digital projector is fine, im a little worried when we end up with digital productions on a digital projector.
post #42 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I agree that digital projection technology for movie theaters is in its early days and its image quality has not yet caught up with film projection at its best. Still I see no reason to fear that digital technology will not progress just as fast as other electronic developments have. Consider the improvements, not to mention the ever lowering costs, of computer processors, memory, and data storage capacity, in just the last few years. I expect to see the image quality of digital projection improve just as quickly and dramatically.
post #43 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Film presented on a digital projector is fine, im a little worried when we end up with digital productions on a digital projector.

I think it's inevitable and probably not a bad thing. See my previous post.
post #44 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I expect to see the image quality of digital projection improve just as quickly and dramatically.

That's assuming, of course, that the studios and theaters really give a damn about image quality. History does not give one cause for optimism. After all, if image quality really WAS a priority, 70mm wouldn't have been abandoned. It seems more likely that image quality will be nothing more than the bare minimum acceptable to a mass audience.
post #45 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I think it's inevitable and probably not a bad thing. See my previous post.

I saw it. But I dont like how the things are going. Most digital productions look sloppy already. When you shoot film you do have to be more careful of how you shoot.

The nr 1 thing I hate is open shutters. It makes even the most expensive movie look amateurish.
post #46 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

... I've read years ago how studios were thinking to "beam"[download] digital files of films directly to cinema servers for projections. I don't know if this is how they do it now, but certainly it is more economically streamlined, and certainly more "green" then shipping each prints to theaters worldwide.

Last I heard ( a few months ago) the most common form of delivery for digital "films" is via hard drive. The studios claim this is so that they can continue to use the same distribution companies that they are used to working with rather than having to work with new companies that are pushing network delivery models.

As I've said before, IMO, the studios and the distributors collude to make certain that all the revenue from a film is eaten-up by "expenses" so that no film ever makes a "profit", so that they never have to pay anyone that has points on the profits and the taxes. They all need to keep their books private, so they refuse to work with anyone new that isn't already in on the graft.
post #47 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Last I heard ( a few months ago) the most common form of delivery for digital "films" is via hard drive. The studios claim this is so that they can continue to use the same distribution companies that they are used to working with rather than having to work with new companies that are pushing network delivery models.

-snip-

That's correct. Hard Drive distribution allows unique digital signatures to be embedded into every frame of video. If any pirated copies or even short clips make it into the DVD/BR distribution channels, the source print - and guilty party - is immediately obvious.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #48 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Anyone want to buy my darkroom enlarger?

Maybe not yours, I'm but I'm actually looking to buy an enlarger! but I have no use for a 35mm enlarger, looking for one that can do 4x5 and the cheaper most complete the better!

Tony!

/

/
post #49 of 51 Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just found out the 2 screen Drive-In theater we go to is in the process of converting to digital. I thought for sure they'd be toast but it lives on. Cool!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #50 of 51 Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Living in the Los Angeles area, I've had such experiences multiple times, one of which was Patton in 65mm at the Samuel Goldwyn theater (used by the Academy). I do favor advancing technology, but I'm one who doesn't feel that digital matches a top-flight film presentation yet. Digital may be easier, but it is NOT a guarantee of excellence.

Well it guarantees one thing: It won't wear out just by using it, like all prints do. And of course prints never guaranteed excellence either, in fact one has to be lucky to experience a real good presentation, like you I did experience some of those too but seems like ages ago. Location definitely has some bearing on that. I used to live in SoCal.

The Hun
post #51 of 51 Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Makes sense, since were are talking about a cabal here.

The Hun
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page