Want to See Oliver Stone's Amazing New Home Theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Actually this show originally aired in May 2011 so it's on the older side. But it's fun to post an article like this and watch the angry bees swarm around.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Actually this show originally aired in May 2011 so it's on the older side. But it's fun to post an article like this and watch the angry bees swarm around.

hehe indeed! ...cause ultimately who cares? My gear pales in comparison to many avs members, yet that doesn't prevent me from enjoying my movies in HD and lossless sound on a relatively large screen. That's all I'm asking for now. I'm sure Oliver has a decent rig .......I'm actually more interested in his next film, Savages, than his HT...
post #33 of 60 Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a nice theater but not as nice as many out there. I have, however, seen essentially every projector out there including 4K units and DCI DLP running my favorite BDs. You have to pay to get the best image quality. If that matters than you are going to pay over 25,000 USD for that projector. If that doesn't matter to you then that is your business. If the animal shelter is more important to you then that is money well spent.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #34 of 60 Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Interesting video...OS seems somewhat disconnected...as usual.

I guess living in L.A. gives one the ability to get people who know what the hell they're doing....something I never seem to find in Oregon.

Oh, and MK speakers rock (mine do).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #35 of 60 Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
There's no way I'm going to watch the video; I just don't care what Stone has or not, or how he spends his money.

What I really want to know is to what extent, and just how far up in the highest levels of government were they involved, was the military-industrial complex involved in designing and installing his home theater rig?

Was this skinny blond chick just the patsy?
post #36 of 60 Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

There's no way I'm going to watch the video; I just don't care what Stone has or not, or how he spends his money.

What I really want to know is to what extent, and just how far up in the highest levels of government were they involved, was the military-industrial complex involved in designing and installing his home theater rig?

Was this skinny blond chick just the patsy?

LOL...you sir, have a wicked sense of humor.

post #37 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ok I just saw another DIY show with vanilla ice and this ep was called Boom Boom screening room and this was a true dedicated home theater and not a casual family room/library like the one with oliver stone.

And vanilla ice asked the same gal Janna Robinson for her input on the HT components and in all fairness she did a much better job this time. They had 12 chairs that alone cost 45k and for the proj I think it was a Mits HC7800. Now this HT could have used that runco LS10 25K if they allocated 45k for just the chairs.

I still would never use her service because I just don't like or trust these consultants that cater to the celebrities and rich & famous. 2nd I've been putting together HT myself when she was still in Jr high so it's not like I'm totally clueless like her clients are. It's the same with those personal chef's that cater to celebrities and rich. I think they're fake knowing they can give Hi tech advise to the likes of paris hilton, rob lowe, and torri spelling who wouldn't know their butt hole from a Bose set up and told them it was the best and they would believe it. And Janna knows she can get away with it racking up the budget and getting paid copious amount of money.
post #38 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

think they're fake knowing they can give Hi tech advise to the likes of paris hilton, rob lowe, and torri spelling who wouldn't know their butt hole from a Bose set up and told them it was the best and they would believe it. And Janna knows she can get away with it racking up the budget and getting paid copious amount of money.

That's just about everywhere really. My brother law got stung like that I told him ill help him but the salesman talked BS and he got taken to the cleaners. Live and learn I guess.

Frank
post #39 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw there's another thing that really sticks out and irks me. All of Janna's installs like the one with Kevin connelly, Nancy Odell, and oliver stone, and I think all of them have been with only Runco LS proj's and Integra receivers. I mean that's just easy, sure it's not my money. Plus there's no doubt to me she's getting big ass kick backs or bonuses from Runco and Integra.

Except with Vanilla ice project which was not really her install but as consultant and favor for him, she probably wanted Runco but the owner's probably said hell no and went with Mits.
post #40 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

plus there's no doubt to me she's getting big ass kick backs or bonuses from runco and integra.

+1

Frank
post #41 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I have a nice theater but not as nice as many out there. I have, however, seen essentially every projector out there including 4K units and DCI DLP running my favorite BDs. You have to pay to get the best image quality. If that matters than you are going to pay over 25,000 USD for that projector. If that doesn't matter to you then that is your business. If the animal shelter is more important to you then that is money well spent.

Art

I can tell you give me the money and I'm there with the $25,000USD projector.

Frank
post #42 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I'm getting ready to build a new house with [finally!] a dedicated theater room (seating 6 or 8) and realize I need to go through a learning curve. Starting with proper room dimensions, acoustics, and then equipment. I simply want the best stuff available at a "mid-range" budget. I don't need a $25 projector, but I want the best ~$10-15k projector available. I don't need a $10k screen, but I want the best ~$3-5k motorized screen available. I want a plasma behind the screen and, again, doesn't need to be a Pioneer Kuro (as if you could actually find one) but something close. And so on...

How do I find these things out without getting even more confused & befuddled? Frankly, I'm a little intimidated at the build forums here. Like many specialized forums on AVS, they seem to cater to those who already know most of the answers and can quickly sort through the chaff.

There are so many options, and I just need to find the best one that fits my mid-range budget. Any advice from those who have gone through this painful process? Where do you start?
post #43 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

At that price range you've given it's pretty easy IMO because there's really only a few and they are the best in that range and if you head over the 3K+ proj forum, many AVS members will no doubt steer towards a JVC X90R, Sony VW 95 or Runco LS7. As for screen Stewart studio tek 130 or a Diamond screen.

Oh one more thing, IF I would to pick a 25K proj for my ultra rich clients I would rather much go with the only 4k proj Sony's VW 1000ES. Btw were you one of the ppl who got 5 #'s in that 640 mil mega mil lottery fiasco?
post #44 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That's just about everywhere really. My brother law got stung like that I told him ill help him but the salesman talked BS and he got taken to the cleaners. Live and learn I guess.

You know whats really strange and detrimental is that our own family and closest friends would sometimes go with some high faluten BS advice from total strangers rather than listen to some sensibility from the people closest to them...I have noticed that
post #45 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

At that price range you've given it's pretty easy IMO because there's really only a few and they are the best in that range and if you head over the 3K+ proj forum, many AVS members will no doubt steer towards a JVC X90R, Sony VW 95 or Runco LS7. As for screen Stewart studio tek 130 or a Diamond screen.

Nah, I'm one of those who look at lotteries as a tax on people who are bad at math. Nevertheless, somebody does win, and that's why my wife bought 10 tickets. Umm, we didn't win.

I'm not opposed to having the best, and sometimes that's both possible and financially feasible. Headphones for example - you can get the very best there is for about $600. So I did. I drive a pretty sweet car, but I waited 6 years and 80k miles for it to depreciate to the point where I could safely afford it. HT gear seems kind of like that to me. The difference between a high-midrange version of a component and the very best represents a small fraction on a logarithmically decreasing scale, I figure -- but it may cost twice as much. If a Runco LS7 is 95% of that projector Ollie just bought, that's probably more than my middle aged eyes can discern anyways. Same with the sound system, I'm guessing.

That's the sweet spot I'm looking for.
post #46 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The difference between a high-midrange version of a component and the very best represents a small fraction on a logarithmically decreasing scale, I figure -- but it may cost twice as much. If a Runco LS7 is 95% of that projector Ollie just bought, that's probably more than my middle aged eyes can discern anyways. Same with the sound system, I'm guessing.

Exactly my thoughts.
You can get 90% or more of the performance of the high-end with mid-level stuff.

I am thinking of getting my first FP (primarily because of the portability), but won't be doing the full room thing.
I have winter and summer homes I go back and forth to depending on the season and doubt I'll be keeping either for the long term, so doing the full deal isn't wise.

My problem is I have yet to see a FP bright enough to suit my tastes.

BTW, your PM box is full.

post #47 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

E
I am thinking of getting my first FP (primarily because of the portability), but won't be doing the full room thing.

Cool. Welcome to the club. FP means BIG, and if you size the screen to your room and viewing distance correctly, IMMERSIVE. It really is like at the movies.

Quote:

My problem is I have yet to see a FP bright enough to suit my tastes.

You probably know this already, but no projector can compete with the sun. Ambient light control (blocking it coming through windows during the day, artificial lights at night) is critical to allowing the FP to do its thang. If you can't or won't just for aesthetic reasons control the light coming into the room down to near theater levels, then FP ain't for you.

Light be gone and you too can join the club.
post #48 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You probably know this already, but no projector can compete with the sun. Ambient light control (blocking it coming through windows during the day, artificial lights at night) is critical to allowing the FP to do its thang. If you can't or won't just for aesthetic reasons control the light coming into the room down to near theater levels, then FP ain't for you.

Light be gone and you too can join the club.

I have darkened both HT rooms to absolute black and the FPs I see in showrooms (never dark enough IMO) haven't wowed me.

I am a little leary of dropping 15k on a projector and not being happy with it...

post #49 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't need a $25 projector

Me, too; those things only last about a week

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #50 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts.
You can get 90% or more of the performance of the high-end with mid-level stuff.

Very true!

I just upgraded my audio gear, and went with ID companies that have much lower overhead than those who advertise in all the magazines, etc. The components I chose have very good specs, reviewed very high, and have a loyal customer base. They weren't cheap but compare well to those costing many times more.

Regarding Art S. comment about spending 25K for a projector, I think viewing habits need to be taken into consideration. My current dedicated room is much smaller than most at 10x12. I like to be "immersed", so I have a large screen for the room size (8 feet). At that viewing distance, the only PJ's that will work for me have been Panasonic, with 'smoothscreen'.

I've auditioned, and owned other brands/technologies, but they all had visible SDE at my viewing distance. (JVC, Sony (LCoS, SXRD) won't throw a big enough picture in that room.)

My new PJ (PT-AE7000 480hz 3D) looks excellent to me. In a black velvet covered room, and a Dalite High Power screen, it looks like a giant plasma.

I'm sure there are better PJ's, and I may consider others if I ever build a bigger room. Right now I'm in home theatre nirvana.

Art
post #51 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

My current dedicated room is much smaller than most at 10x12. I like to be "immersed", so I have a large screen for the room size (8 feet). At that viewing distance, the only PJ's that will work for me have been Panasonic, with 'smoothscreen'.

I've auditioned, and owned other brands/technologies, but they all had visible SDE at my viewing distance. (JVC, Sony (LCoS, SXRD) won't throw a big enough picture in that room.)

My new PJ (PT-AE7000 480hz 3D) looks excellent to me. In a black velvet covered room, and a Dalite High Power screen, it looks like a giant plasma.

PM sent.

post #52 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

If a Runco LS7 is 95% of that projector Ollie just bought, that's probably more than my middle aged eyes can discern anyways. Same with the sound system, I'm guessing.

I would be surprised if you can discern much between the LS 7 & LS5 . The LS5 at 7K got editor's pick 5 tickets from Home theater mag and with a good screen would probably meet your sweet spot and you could spend the extra savings on a cruise with the wife.

http://www.hometheater.com/frontproj...dlp_projector/
post #53 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have darkened both HT rooms to absolute black and the FPs I see in showrooms (never dark enough IMO) haven't wowed me.

I am a little leary of dropping 15k on a projector and not being happy with it...

Are you serious? put that dough back in your pocket. For 2.5K you will be blown away with Epson new 5010 (wireless for 300 more) or this BenQ W7000 both are light canons. There's no sense in watching your big titles like MI 4 in anything less than 100". Look at these screenshots here from the BenQ 7000 MSRP 3,499 but right now is on sale at VisualApex for $2100 shipped.
LL
LL
post #54 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^That's impressive brightness.

Is the Benq a DLP?

post #55 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Though it's hard to be sure just from watching video, it seems to me Janna consistently mounts the projection screens too high (as in not optimal viewing level).
post #56 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are some of mine which is from a 5 yr old out dated 1080UB ISF calibrated on entry accuscreen 100" in eco cinema mode on LOW brightness ok and is not that bad. Those new ones are much brighter, sharper and 3D. I know,..I'm due for a upgrade. Just want to give you a real life sample without perfect settings.
LL
LL
LL
post #57 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you serious? put that dough back in your pocket. For 2.5K you will be blown away with Epson new 5010 (wireless for 300 more) or this BenQ W7000 both are light canons. There's no sense in watching your big titles like MI 4 in anything less than 100". Look at these screenshots here from the BenQ 7000 MSRP 3,499 but right now is on sale at VisualApex for $2100 shipped.

Very nice pics, zoey.

If I were in the market for one, that BenQ would be awfully hard to pass up. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade at the moment. Nevertheless, I'm content for now with my Marantz 720p DLP I snagged a few years ago. I've replaced the lamp a couple of times, but the one I'm on now will be my last one.
post #58 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you've been looking in the wrong places.
post #59 of 60 Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, you've been looking in the wrong places.

I think you're right...

I live in Oregon, and Oregon is almost a one-horse state.
Even Portland leaves a lot to be desired.

post #60 of 60 Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BTW, your PM box is full.

Not anymore. My AVS Club subscription temporarily ran out. Renewed now.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page