Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Suspi...ing-30364.html

It's long been rumored and now it's officially happening. Dario Argento's giallo classic Suspiria is joining the long line of horror remakes. Director David Gordon Green, who has been attached to the proposed remake since 2007, will helm. However, the press release from Crime Scene Pictures, which will produce the pic along with reps from Memo Films and Sun Film, reveals that Natalie Portman, who was rumored to front the flick early on, will not be filling Suzy's ballet shoes after all. Instead, a search for this Suspiria's "Suzie" is underway.

Like the original, Green's Suspiria will center on the terror-ridden tale of a girl who joins a prestigious ballet academy only to discover it holds a witchy secret. As much as I'm a fan of Portman, I'm glad she looks to have nothing to do with this project. First off, while lovely, she no longer looks like a teenager, and would likely be dinged for attempting to play one. Secondly, she's already mastered the role of terrorized ballerina, and to Oscar acclaim no less! Why repeat herself? Lastly, she has already worked once with Green, and the result was the painfully dull Your Highness. Basically, it's best for her to steer clear of this Suspiria, as it has nothing to offer her.

But what does it offer anyone else? The original was hailed for its strangeness and Argento's uniquely sickening and stylistic brand of horror. So a remake of such an auteur piece seems destined to fail, much as Gus Van Sant's jeered remake of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho did. Beyond that, it's baffling that David Gordon Green, the director behind such wacky and raunchy comedies as Pineapple Express and The Sitter, would be chosen for such a production. It's a match-up that seems like someone's demented idea of a joke. Nonetheless, distribution rights for the in-development Suspiria remake will be shopped at Cannes this May, with production to follow in September. This means updates on casting should follow soon.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
We can't even get a proper BD release of the original.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
The opening of Argento's Susperia is a masterpiece of boldly setting a sinister mood. For me the rest of the film, though visually gorgeous, becomes less compelling as it goes on.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

though visually gorgeous, becomes less compelling as it goes on.

Most of his films suffer from that...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

We can't even get a proper BD release of the original.

The UK release is a bit of a mess but still a worthy upgrade from my DVD. The lossless audio on that score alone could sell the double dip.

This remake sounds like a nightmare, and not in a good way.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
+2 on the opening scene. I dug up my 25th anniversary DTS DVD and was amazed how good the movie look with a new lamp.

Dario could have pick a better actress but at least the soundtrack was great, as well as the use of colors.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I took my early teen children to the original release. The movie was accompanied with special audio equipment which allowed outrageous sound levels without distortion, and I am here to testify that scary music played at horrifying levels in a scary movie magnifies the chilling effects to maximum proportions. The family voted to leave because they were petrified.

A few years ago, when the DVD came out I bought it to see the end and test whether the major part of the effects we felt were content or sound effects. The DVD was a complete dud leaving me with the conclusion that cacophonic levels of sound can multiply horror effects out of all proportion to content. So, to that extent the audio experiment by the movie's producers/director was a success, I guess.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Distorted, the DVD is an abomination. They remixed the sound and ruined it, which is why a friend of mine and I made our own version; DVD transfer plus PCM laserdisc sound. Needless to say, our version is now legend. Even Lustig knows about it!

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page