post #91 of 247 Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

The only thing I did not enjoy was the parents bring young girls ( 6 to 8) to see it . Maybe they saw it first but I doubt it.

Yep, I agree that Django is entirely inappropriate for very young children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 247 Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
May or may not matter but I saw it in a theater which was easily 70/30 African American and we all laughed at the funny stuff, cringed at the evil stuff, shared the awkward silences, and cheered when the slimes got killed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #93 of 247 Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yep, I agree that Django is entirely inappropriate for very young children.
+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #94 of 247 Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's funny because I did flash on that too.wink.gif
Death Proof also suffered from Weinstein interference/insistence of bloating the runtime to sell more tickets.

You need to get out West a little more....almost every western state has similar terrain.smile.gif
I just KNEW you couldn't resist.biggrin.gif

Quote:

I've been there and understand the beauty of the western mountains and high plains when they are covered in snow. What made the scene in Django was that it was a startlingly beautiful homage to the very few similar scenes depicted in earlier westerns. Of Course, Django was only a western during the months of the winter when Dr. Schmidt and Django were in the west. Other than that segment, the film was a southern.smile.gif

Saw it today and liked it a lot. Those questioning how qt chose to wind up this very entertaining flick have legitimate concerns. I don't agree it should end right after the handshake, I would have felt cheated if that is all we got after 2 hours of pretty riveting storytelling. I question more why the plot turned the way it did since after the handshake
Qt could have taken tha narrative in any number of directions. The path chosen unfortunately was all too predictable.

Great cinematography and on location landscapes. We get so many cgi backgrounds it was very nice and notable that Tarantino put such much effort into perfecting those location shots.

Oh, after reading scoink's link to the imbd locations, I can confirm that the scenes showing the rather astonishing shots of the snow draped mountains while django and friend ride through the valley below we're filmed on the east side of the Sierra Nevadans near mt. Whitney. Thats where the sierras abruptly rise straight up 10000 feet above the owens valley below. Other snow capped peak shots were taken at the grand Tetons in Wyoming. The dry desert scenes were from the Santa clarita area in the high desert outside l.a. A place where literally hundreds of westerns have been used due to proximity and other obvious reasons.

Glad I saw and I do concur the first 80 percent of the movie towered over the remaining part.

neflixis our nemesis
post #95 of 247 Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Saw it today and liked it a lot. Those questioning how qt chose to wind up this very entertaining flick have legitimate concerns. I don't agree it should end right after the handshake, I would have felt cheated if that is all we got after 2 hours of pretty riveting storytelling. I question more why the plot turned the way it did since after the handshake
Qt could have taken tha narrative in any number of directions. The path chosen unfortunately was all too predictable.
Where would you have taken it?

Quote:
scoink's
LOL, I like that.tongue.gif

Quote:
Glad I saw and I do concur the first 80 percent of the movie towered over the remaining part.
Absolutely.
It is the first QT movie I have seen where I question his plot structure.
Oh well, maybe next time he will call me for approval before he shoots...biggrin.gif

post #96 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a link about this very question. He said a ton was cut and knew certain scenes were out of place. Makes me drool even more for the bluray.

I find the issues people have more in line with charm than deal breakers in most movies. Right now QT is at the top of his game and the talk of him retiring scares and saddens me.

post #97 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I have a link about this very question. He said a ton was cut and knew certain scenes were out of place. Makes me drool even more for the bluray.
I would VERY much like to see another cut of this movie.

Quote:
the talk of him retiring scares and saddens me.
I doubt very much he would...I think he was just trolling for his long-deserved Oscar.

EDIT: I just noticed IMDB says Kill Bill 3 is his next project.

post #98 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I doubt very much he would...I think he was just trolling for his long-deserved Oscar.

I agree. It isn't very likely that Tarantino will retire immediately. Kill Bill 3 has been announced and even now Tarantino is not yet 50. I can't imagine that his creative juices are not still flowing.
post #99 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree. It isn't very likely that Tarantino will retire immediately. Kill Bill 3 has been announced and even now Tarantino is not yet 50. I can't imagine that his creative juices are not still flowing.
LOL, we posted at the same time with the same info.tongue.gif

post #100 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well he's on record for saying a lot and I've seen where he said he didn't want to do KB3 at all. Grain of salt and stuff. At the end of the day QT has a list of films I can watch nearly anytime and his style lands on my brain in all the right ways.

post #101 of 247 Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's that link:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2013/01/unchain_my_heart_and_set_me_fr.html

post #102 of 247 Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree with Oink's suggestion that the film would have been much better constructed if it ended at a certain point before the last 20 minutes or so, but if it ended there, the film really wouldn't go with the title, and the doctor would have overshadowed the title character even more.
post #103 of 247 Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

I agree with Oink's suggestion that the film would have been much better constructed if it ended at a certain point before the last 20 minutes or so, but if it ended there, the film really wouldn't go with the title, and the doctor would have overshadowed the title character even more.
Hmmm....I didn't consider that.
How about just "Django?"

post #104 of 247 Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Saw it yesterday.

Cant say I was blown away. Tarantinos mixing of different styles dont work. At one time its an A-Movie, to suddenly become a B-Movie on the verge to C-Movie. It just like Tarantino doesnt dare to make a serious movie.
The acting is terrific. With great performances of the cast. But what could have been a superb character driven drama, was hurt by the mixed style and just to much gore.
post #105 of 247 Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Saw it yesterday.

Cant say I was blown away. Tarantinos mixing of different styles dont work. At one time its an A-Movie, to suddenly become a B-Movie on the verge to C-Movie. It just like Tarantino doesnt dare to make a serious movie.
The acting is terrific. With great performances of the cast. But what could have been a superb character driven drama, was hurt by the mixed style and just to much gore.

I long ago steeled myself to the breathtaking bloodshed and violence in every Tarantino film. I would say that Django had no more that the average amount on that score, faint praise though that may be. Every Tarantino film mixes styles. The guy loves old movies and pays homage to them at every opportunity. Django was no exception. But what makes Tarantino's work exceptional, to me at least, is his ability to subtly weave a modern point of view into pot boiler styles and turn the end result into something unique.
post #106 of 247 Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have nothing against unique, if it works. I didn't think it worked that well in Django. Since the movie felt "fake", I at some point stopped caring for Django(character).

With some careful editing this could easily been a better movie, but it seems like Tarantino can't evolve as a filmmaker. He is stuck on his mixed style, homage kind of movies.
post #107 of 247 Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have nothing against unique, if it works. I didn't think it worked that well in Django. Since the movie felt "fake", I at some point stopped caring for Django(character).

With some careful editing this could easily been a better movie, but it seems like Tarantino can't evolve as a filmmaker. He is stuck on his mixed style, homage kind of movies.
Agreed....it's time for a new direction.
Fortunately, he has the talent to do so.

post #108 of 247 Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

To me, once we've seen his mishmash of styles so many times, it ceases to be unique. Django wasn't really unique in my opinion. It was easily recognizable as a Tarantino film, and that's not a great thing.

This movie felt like an homage and definitely felt fake. I'm hoping he can move forward and away from this style and move into making movies that are truly unique and interesting. This wasn't either one of those for me. It wasn't a bad movie at all, but it was a bit too long and more of just a regular story.

He needs to stop using the N word as well. it gets old quickly, as do all of the visual and aural signatures he throws in that let you know this is a Tarantino film.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #109 of 247 Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

...the N word...
Nutrition? Nanosecond? ? Nice? Nutcase?

Talk about a society that can’t deal with stuff. We don’t say the word, but use a letter of the word to convey what we are talking about, when everyone who looks at the singular letter, in his or her mind, says the word. We are a sick, sick society when we have to act like children rather than deal with the issues at hand. Pee-pee. Potty. Now, can we adults add the N-word into the equation so we can act like children. Give me a friggin’ break.

lordcloud,

This isn’t directed at you, just the stupidity of it all.
post #110 of 247 Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Nutrition? Nanosecond? ? Nice? Nutcase?

Talk about a society that can’t deal with stuff. We don’t say the word, but use a letter of the word to convey what we are talking about, when everyone who looks at the singular letter, in his or her mind, says the word. We are a sick, sick society when we have to act like children rather than deal with the issues at hand. Pee-pee. Potty. Now we can adults can add the N-word into the equation so we can act like children. Give me a friggin’ break.

lordcloud,

This isn’t directed at you, just the stupidity of it all.

Not to get too far off topic, but unfortunately when talking about QT, the word nigger is always on topic. And that's the problem. If it were just in this movie, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's in all of his movies, and way too often.

Now, as to how I feel about societies shunning of the word, and using the first letter in it's place. I can't say that I agree or disagree with it. I do agree however, that once the sting of the word is gone, saying it won't be that big of a deal. But then you're at an impasse, as saying it will lessen the import placed on it, but you don't want to say it because of the anger it engenders. I don't think society is being less adult by avoiding saying it, as much as being not forward thinking enough. But, when do you forego sensitivity to maybe solve the problem? Because, while you as a white male sees things one way, me, as a black male see it totally different. To you, the word may just be a hurdle to get over, where I see the word as merely the vocalization of a number of feelings, emotions, memories, and a reminder that the world is very different, but still very much the same.

Anyway.......I liked the movie, but it was too long and not awesome enough. biggrin.gif

post #111 of 247 Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Not to get too far off topic, but unfortunately when talking about QT, the word nigger is always on topic. And that's the problem. If it were just in this movie, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's in all of his movies, and way too often.biggrin.gif

I agree with this. I like a few of Tarantino's movies, but I'm not a big fan. The worst thing about his movies is him being in them, thinking he can act.

I despise DiCaprio though, so I won't be seeing this one.
post #112 of 247 Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I agree with this. I like a few of Tarantino's movies, but I'm not a big fan. The worst thing about his movies is him being in them, thinking he can act.

DiCaprio KILLS in this...

post #113 of 247 Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I can honestly say that his cameo in this movie was the worst that I've ever seen. By anyone. Ever.

DiCaprio is an excellent actor in my mind though. He needs to start working on the subtleties in his acting, but once that's taken care of, he'll be pretty damn good i think.

post #114 of 247 Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

DiCaprio KILLS in this...

KILLS in this one. Get it? Cause he kills literally and fi..........just forget it.

post #115 of 247 Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW, I thought Leo was a hoot in this movie.
You can tell he was having fun with the role....

post #116 of 247 Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
A bit late to the game but saw the movie yesterday.

I like the movie but it's kind of a mixed feeling.
Superb acting, Christoph Waltz, Leo and Samuel did a great job with their characters.

The parts that I thought didn't quite work was the serious topic of racism and slave trade mixed with "humour".
Not saying I din't laugh or cringed during the funny or nasty parts.
But as a whole it felt fake especially during scenes were contemporary music was used.
QT have always had a great sense for music mixed into the movies but I thought he missed on several occasions in this one.

I'll give it 3+ out of 5, because of the mixed "result".

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #117 of 247 Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

I can honestly say that his cameo in this movie was the worst that I've ever seen. By anyone. Ever.

DiCaprio is an excellent actor in my mind though. He needs to start working on the subtleties in his acting, but once that's taken care of, he'll be pretty damn good i think.

Huh. I thought LD was great in this movie and so was SJ. In fact, I thought they were unfairly snubbed by the Academy and were more deserving (because of their roles) than CW.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #118 of 247 Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Huh. I thought LD was great in this movie and so was SJ. In fact, I thought they were unfairly snubbed by the Academy and were more deserving (because of their roles) than CW.

I too thought that DiCaprio and Jackson were terrific. Both seemed attuned to Tarantino's jokey style that tells a serious story in a way that is entertaining and funny. Others should keep in mind, though, that I am a Quentin Tarantino fanboy, so what do I know?smile.gif
post #119 of 247 Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I too thought that DiCaprio and Jackson were terrific. Both seemed attuned to Tarantino's jokey style that tells a serious story in a way that is entertaining and funny.
Agreed.

Still debating whether to buy the BD.
Maybe I'll just skip the ridiculous final act next time around....

post #120 of 247 Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I thought he was good in this movie, but in all of his movies, he always seems to be turned on and turned up, if that makes sense. He is missing the subtleties in his acting, that make you think about the person he's portraying. Some actors and parts make you wonder about a person's back story, and you start to feel as though you know how they'd react in a situation. LD's acting doesn't allow for those things. His characters are characters, and not people in my opinion. He is a really good actor, but he has more to learn, and I'll be happy when he does. His character in Django showed glimpses of complexity, but it wasn't quite there.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page